Least Favorite Characters?

Elibean Spaceman

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rhajat especially after localization pretty much leaves me thinking "this is my only F/F option??" I really hate the F!Corrin support now.

Azama and Jakob are both assholes. Azama is relegated to the bench and not death while Jakob has awesome stats to help keep him off the bench.

Nina still annoys me, but to a lesser degree. I instead place most of the blame towards since Niles. I kinda want to try and do a full analysis on her since she seems to be really fucked up from her childhood.

Arthur / Niles / Asama / Beruka
Arthur - design wise unlucky bastard poor soul & people love him somehow
Niles - Gay,fag,noob xD Just kidding the true reason is only because people tend to make him a god just because BL (boys love) and also because Zero was way better IMO
Asama - Design wise that hair ruins the guy
Beruka - i still think she has a assassin look to her and she is a Wyrven rider

Gameplay-wise:

Setsuna and Azama: Useless, low-leveled, and outmatched--especially Setsuna, since Takumi join two chapters later. Benched them immediately.

Odin: I'm only playing on Conquest with him and I can't stand him already. He does NOT have the stats to be a workable Dark Mage. I shudder to imagine him on Revelation.

Hayato: Joins too late at too low a level.

Personality-wise:

Rhajat: Shara I reluctantly liked, because she was well-developed and different enough from Tharja to matter. Rhajat is literally Tharja 2.0.

Jakob: Not as much of a jerk as Joker, but still a jerk.

Setsuna: Azama's less of a jerk and got more philosophy/trolling that I don't mind him, but Setsuna is a dry, uninteresting character with an annoying gimmick.

I hate Jpn!Zero and Camilla, but I like the localized versions of them.

It's the opposite for Shara. She was pretty cool in the original version, but the localization made her creepier tbh.

I hate Joker and Pieri in both versions of the game, even if I find both of them slightly less annoying now.

Edited by Matt-hue

Xander is a massive tool and an awful person who hates you for siding with your real family

The whole concept of real family is really why I could never consider picking Hoshido.

As someone who is friends with many adopted people, they've painted a picture where they don't want to go back to their birth families. Their adoptive families have become their real family. They'd rather die than go live with their birth families.

Given that Corrin was forcibly taken by his adoptive father, this may change things. However, Corrin grew up believing he was a part of the Nohr family and so I really don't think it matters too much.

My least favorite is most definitely Asugi.

I severely dislike the Hoshidan Awakening trio. I find their inclusion lazy, undignified and out of place. archetypes are fine but the clone trio are just desperate. Even the standard red and green cavalry usually at least try to be different. The Norhian trio have an excuse but these three just don't.

But the thing is, I GET why Cordelia and Tharja would be included. Whether you love them or hate them its hard to deny they were one of the more iconic, popular and most discussed characters from Awakening. Gaius does not even have that. Sure, he ranked high on the Japanese poll (somehow) but he always struck me as a very forgettable character and since I barely hear anyone talk about him I'm assuming I'm not the only one who thinks that.

Asugi combines the distaste I already have for the trio with my indifference towards Gaius to create a character which truly does not sit well with me.

So far, Camilla is still my least favorite. I don't like Xander at all either. I originally thought he just looked boring, but now I REALLY don't like him. I also think Izana is a big weirdo.

And I mean the real Izana, not Zola. Zola's just a fantastic dick.

Hm, I believe there have been several threads like this, and I've been ranting a lot about several bad characters and why I think they fail, particularly in the main story.

So I'm just going to mention my least favorite minor character: Pieri, although I only know her from the Japanese version so with some luck, the localization has contributed to not making her not be so absolutely disgusting. Not only is she incredibly boring and annoying, speaking in a high-pitched voice and in third person and all that, but she's a lunatic who goes on killing sprees; she's supposed to be the retainer of the crown prince of Nohr and her attitude is treated almost like a silly quirk, which negatively affects other characters who interact with her, especially Xander.

Of course, a far bigger issue is the awful villains and Xander and Azura's idiocy, but that's an almost daily topic here.

Edited by Thane

Xander is a massive tool and an awful person who hates you for siding with your real family and not invading an innocent country

He's described as a kind-hearted man but I really don't see it

Actually its Ryoma who is more deserving of that complaint. While not my least favorite by any stretch I do find it...well, I find it downright vile of Ryoma that he discounts the notion of the Norhrian siblings being Corrins family.

The Norhian siblings have raised Corrin for far longer then Ryoma ever did and unlike his siblings Ryoma KNOWS he and the Hoshidan's aren't Corrin's blood family either which leaves him with little leg to stand on. Even worse is that he has no problem introducing the equally kidnapped Azura as HIS sibling. It makes Ryoma seem like a gigantic hypocrite to me and that does affect my opinion of him negatively.

Oh! Asides from Asugi I would also nominate Peri as my least favorite because she just drags Corrin and Xander down in her awfulness. It rings rather hollow for those two to be horrified at Lago and Hans being psychopath's while willingly employing a mass murderer of their own.

Edited by Etrurian emperor

Actually its Ryoma who is more deserving of that complaint. While not my least favorite by any stretch I do find it...well, I find it downright vile of Ryoma that he discounts the notion of the Norhrian siblings being Corrins family.

The Norhian siblings have raised Corrin for far longer then Ryoma ever did and unlike his siblings Ryoma KNOWS he and the Hoshidan's aren't Corrin's blood family either which leaves him with little leg to stand on. Even worse is that he has no problem introducing the equally kidnapped Azura as HIS sibling. It makes Ryoma seem like a gigantic hypocrite to me and that does affect my opinion of him negatively.

Ryoma deserves it more than Xander? I think not. Xander KNEW you were kidnapped from your real family and I resent him for basically lying to Corrin all those years. Ryoma never did anything like that, and even if he and Corrin weren't blood related, he could've still considered him/her his family if the Nohrians could! Hell, he didn't even lie to Azura because she knew all the time she was originally from Nohr! She just ended up being happier in Hoshido.

I won't deny that Ryoma shouldn't ignore the fact that the Nohrians DID raise Corrin, but I don't think he's terrible for it after what their nation did to his. He's understandably blinded by this.

But Xander doesn't seem to have any excuse to me. He's a fool and a liar.

Edited by Anacybele

Izana is a weirdo who breaks game immersion. Stuff like "toodles!" and "You just put a ring on Izana, girl!" make me want to facepalm. Others find him funny or charming and that's totally fine, but he's not for me.

The biggest problem in the game, though, is Garon. I know he's a villain, but he isn't an interesting villain. He's the cliche Fire Emblem villain who lacks layers or explanations beyond his villainy to give him death. And he stands out far more than Ashnard or Gangrel because his weak design heavily impacts the entire premise of Fates. He and the premise he supports had so much potential, but much of that is squandered because of certain writing decisions that undermine him, and in turn the game's key choice and the consequences of that choice.

Editing to Add: I'll give Ryoma the benefit of the doubt with regard to how he feels about Corrin's relationship with the Nohrian siblings.

(1) Mikoto just died--Ryoma isn't going to be at his best.

(2) Xander has just shown up telling Corrin that Nohr is going to invade Hoshido and telling Corrin to join them.

(3) Considering that Nohr kidnapped baby / little Corrin, whereas blood or not Ryoma's relationship to Corrin is peaceful, he likely resents any type of bond Corrin has with the Nohrian siblings, either on a basis of culture or a form of Stockholm Syndrome.

(4) The fact that Corrin turning away from him and the other Hoshidan siblings in a no-win situation undoubtedly puts Ryoma on the defensive--is there really time for subtlety and sensitivity when Xander shows up leading an army? Pretty sure Xander isn't gonna sit there while Ryoma and Corrin have a nice long heart-to-heart.

(5) Ryoma's announcing Azura as his sister is, I would assume, meant as an act of respect and compassion. We all know that Azura is aware of her background and that her choice to remain in Hoshido, if left to her, would be out of liking the country and not due to how she got there.

Dear Lord, I just defended Ryoma. *makes face* There. I did my good deed for the day. *laughs*

Edited by Katryn

• Xander
  • Camilla
  • Azama
  • Jakob
  • Niles (I've heard that he's better in the localization, but I haven't read enough supports to see if it's true or not)
  • Tsubaki
  • Nohr!Corrin
  • Azura
  • Yukimura
  • Localization!Effie
  • Localization!Selena (She was so well written in the japanese version. Why did they feel the need to make her act like Severa? She could have matured between the two games)
  • Pickle Man Hisame
  • Localization!Rhajat (In the original version she was socially awkward. Now she's creepy like Tharja)
  • Garon
  • Hans
  • Iago
  • Dwyer (Did I spell his name correctly?)
  • Siegbert
  • Nina
  • Izana
  • Peri

Edit: Forgot to mention Suzukaze and Hayato.

Edited by Luankachu

lol this argument is really pointless and that much vitriol isn't necessary

obviously if you picked x game you probably dislike one of the older brothers and maybe some of the other family too. you probably disagree with their ideology which is why you picked the version you picked

but Xander wasn't in the wrong for sheltering his younger sibling from the world and Ryoma wasn't wrong for trying to discount te kidnappers of his younger sister

besides, everyone knows the younger and older sisters are the best anyway ;)

As for characters I dislike, I can't really think of any besides Hans.

[spoiler=Chapter 3 spoiler]DC Douglas has a godly voice and Hans murdered it

i mean I'm sure gunter's a good character but DC Douglas

Edited by Ms. Andrews

I have to say I find Rinkah a real let down compared to other units and Hayato is just too under-leveled for me to use him properly, plus he's Not!Ricken so is unoriginal really. Not really too sure about conquest characters

Ryoma deserves it more than Xander? I think not. Xander KNEW you were kidnapped from your real family and I resent him for basically lying to Corrin all those years. Ryoma never did anything like that, and even if he and Corrin weren't blood related, he could've still considered him/her his family if the Nohrians could! Hell, he didn't even lie to Azura because she knew all the time she was originally from Nohr! She just ended up being happier in Hoshido.

I won't deny that Ryoma shouldn't ignore the fact that the Nohrians DID raise Corrin, but I don't think he's terrible for it after what their nation did to his. He's understandably blinded by this.

But Xander doesn't seem to have any excuse to me. He's a fool and a liar.

But that's the very thing that makes it worse instead of better. If Ryoma can see Corrin as his family despite blood and if he can claim the kidnapped Azura as his own sister and genuinely mean it then Ryoma should understand the most of all that the Norhian siblings do really consider Corrin as their own kin. He does not and openly calls it brainwashing. Xander never seems to have called Ryoma's treatment of Azure as such.

But that's the very thing that makes it worse instead of better. If Ryoma can see Corrin as his family despite blood and if he can claim the kidnapped Azura as his own sister and genuinely mean it then Ryoma should understand the most of all that the Norhian siblings do really consider Corrin as their own kin. He does not and openly calls it brainwashing. Xander never seems to have called Ryoma's treatment of Azure as such.

I knew an arguement was going to break out. Its just inevitable in topics like these. :p