Least Favorite Characters?

Elibean Spaceman

Alright, I'm gonna briefly go off-topic to stick up for mah boy Stahl here. Stahl was easily the best-written character in Awakening- his "average" gimmick was really low-key and was only the focus of his support with Miriel. The only time it comes up is when people compliment him, and he does that because he is always striving to improve himself. While he acknowledges that he will never be the top dog, he just tries to be the best person that he can be, and encourages others to do the same (see his support with Donny). He's just a laid-back, helpful person, and is canonically one of the best people to exist due to the fact that he can weild the Falchion, which judges people's hearts or some shit.

I don't dislike Stahl at all, in fact I find him somewhat charming. However, he doesn't really stick out in my mind and - this is of course very personal and stupid - one of my pet peeves is when writers expect people eating a lot to be funny. It simply isn't.

But maybe I should've just used Oliver or Ilyana instead as examples.

Edited by Thane

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I actually like both Ryouma and Xander. They contrast each other well, and it doesn't seem lazy. Ryouma is an idealist, Xander is a pragmatist imo. I also like Camilla as a character, because who doesn't like loving siblings? (No, I don't mean it like that, heh).

I hate Selena gameplay-wise. She is horrible, and didn't get the job done like Laslow. Same with Odin, though even he was more workable. Nyx is also another character like this. I actually don't really HATE any of the Hoshido characters, I just find some of them bland at worse. I don't like that characters are expies of Cordelia, Tharja and Gaius though - is this going to be a new tradition now every game?

Personality-wise I have mixed feelings about Charlotte. I like the fact that she's a bitch in sheep's clothing, but she does have an attitude problem. I like her in a love-to-hate kind of way. Peri now that I think of it is a bit grating in her demeanour. Izana pisses me off because he's a personification of the awful localisation. Hisame I dislike for being so bland in the Japanese version that they turned him into a pickle obsessed sperg.

Theres no one really I don't hate, there are some people I have up and down views on, most of them are just 'I expect more from them' (support conversation wise).

The only people that stuck out to me negatively where Niles because he is so pessimistic and Elfie because her entire appeal is just her breaking the stereotype of men verses women in raw strength

gameplay wise I hate Selena and Rinka's stats and personal skills (If the lead unit lands a crit, chances are your support doesnt need to, if Rinka is built to tank then she is not gona have max hp most of the time), I would have defiantly used them if their stats where a little different because I did like them.

I also hate all the children (gameplay wise because they are not as deeply tied to the story as their parents are, some of them still kids yet they outclass their parent in every way. In Awakening I gave all my parent units the +2 all stat skill to balance it when I was in late game. Fates I'll find some other way to balance it but for the first playthrough of each campaign I didn't use children)

Edited by Raybrand

Oh no, I totally get where you're coming. I don't think it excuses him in the slightest, but I can understand why he did it. I honestly think it's one of the least stupid decisions made by anyone in Conquest, which is why he wasn't on my list. What I don't understand is why he in particular was chosen to be the token Hoshido-aligned character that joins on all routes. Rinkah would have made more sense, given that she has less of a connection to Hoshido than Kaze does.

The easy solution would have been to have them available on all three paths once they find out Corrin is the one they're looking for. I dunno, maybe have a stage where Corrin turns into a dragon and that's how they identify him/her. But then again, much like Xander's characterization, the attempts to shoehorn in the Awakening characters and their actual implementation is clumsy, inconsistent and full of holes. Especially given that the whole scenario should seem very familiar to them, even if they're not technically the same as the kids from Awakening.

That's true. Many people from both sides in Conquest are running around without functioning brains.

Hmmmm, that's an interesting suggestion. I remember that the Wind tribe is neutral, so if the Fire tribe is like them, then Rinkah technically doesn't have an obligation to Hoshido. Also, Corrin saved her life. Although, given the current setup with the two nations, it's very hard to write a compelling reason for why any Hoshidan would join the Nohr without painting them as a bad person.

As for the Awakening trio, Lissa, Olivia, and Cordelia would be soooo proud of you guys.

Quick question, have they given Kinu more of a personality? I keep hearing people complaining about one-note anime characters in Awakening (of which there are plenty, don't get me wrong), but I haven't heard anything about her, and she's essentially walking fetish fuel without any real traits other than "playing", which again fits into the category of that particular fetish. It might be a bit of a strong word, but she might be the least developed character in the entire series, at least in the Japanese version.

I really wanted to like her, and I really like her design, but she has zero depth to her character. That's actually the one Asugi support where I don't hold it against him for raging, because she was being so damn annoying.

And I think Stahl is such a sweetheart :3 The writers did rely on his "average" and "eating a lot" gimmicks a little too much, but there are still other sides to his character that show through.

Edited by Tsuky

So far, my least favourite is Garon, unquestionably.

I have almost always preferred the human villains over the dragon villains (my exception being Medeus, in that in New Mystery of the Emblem he got some backstory and wasn't just "Look at Me! I'm an evil dragon and I will destroy everything!") The reason is the human villains are usually more involved in the political conflicts in the games and also get more backstory. If you look at Ashnard in PoR, he is an outright bad guy, but at the same time you learn he was born far from being in line for the throne and instead became famous on the battlefield. You learn that he believes the strong should rule, rather than the nobility. He is a 100% bad guy, but he isn't a 1-dimensional 100% bad guy.

So it staggers me that, from what I have played so far, they were able to make a human villain a 1-dimensional 100% bad guy. Part of me hopes he might get some depth, but I know better. Somehow they were able to make a 100%: "Look at Me! I'm evil and will [conquer] everything" human villain that isn't possessed by either a magic book or an orb containing a giant monster.

Edited by vanguard333

So far, my least favourite is Garon, unquestionably.

I have almost always preferred the human villains over the dragon villains (my exception being Medeus, in that in New Mystery of the Emblem he got some backstory and wasn't just "Look at Me! I'm an evil dragon and I will destroy everything!") The reason is the human villains are usually more involved in the political conflicts in the games and also get more backstory. If you look at Ashnard in PoR, he is an outright bad guy, but at the same time you learn he was born far from being in line for the throne and instead became famous on the battlefield. You learn that he believes the strong should rule, rather than the nobility. He is a 100% bad guy, but he isn't a 1-dimensional 100% bad guy.

So it staggers me that, from what I have played so far, they were able to make a human villain a 1-dimensional 100% bad guy. Part of me hopes he might get some depth, but I know better. Somehow they were able to make a 100%: "Look at Me! I'm evil and will [conquer] everything" human villain that isn't possessed by either a magic book or an orb containing a giant monster.

Funny you should mention possession...

Though that doesn't make him a better character. He's undoubtedly the one I hate the most in the game.

Silas might be going on my list for being a judgmental asshole. I benched him anyways so I won't know until Nohr since he was sucking.

Jakob is now on the list permanently for being a douche bag, no only being nice to me isn't attractive. It makes you seem like you'll end up in an abusive relationship.

Lilith is cute in sprite form but I hate feeding her so much and that eating animation is so ugly.

Silas might be going on my list for being a judgmental asshole. I benched him anyways so I won't know until Nohr since he was sucking.

Jakob is now on the list permanently for being a douche bag, no only being nice to me isn't attractive. It makes you seem like you'll end up in an abusive relationship.

Lilith is cute in sprite form but I hate feeding her so much and that eating animation is so ugly.

I hate that I can't skip it. No, you stupid dragon, I don't want to watch you meticulously chew that slab of meat, I want to toss it at you and go on my way.

y u do dis IS? First Kinu and now Matoi.

Talk about irony. I liked Cordelia but Severa was my bratty daughter that I pushed away in favor of Morgan. It seems Cordelia's expy might be doomed to fill the same role as Severa. Tsubaki x Selena is canon now.

I headcanon my MU, Miyuki has a lot of issues with Caeldori. And Caeldori cannot get along with her family/cousins at all. Constantly fishing for praise from her father, that even perfectionist Tsubaki tells her to cut it out. Kiragi is too busy with his own yumi making and hunting to pay attention to her. Shiro competes a bit with her, but is also preoccupied and tired of trying to constantly praise his cousin. Selkie is just like "go the fuck away if you dont want to play. Lighten the hell up." And Midori is just "No." Kana keeps feeling inadequate around his sister and makes note of it, making Miyuki really mad.

:B

Since Selena is still goddamn whiny, its about time she get saddled with her mother's clone that reflects too much of Selena's own personality.

Peri. I don't care how much the game tries to make her sympathetic or play her behavior for laughs/cuteness, she's still an unrepentant murderer.

To be fair, in her supports, people DO call her out on this. Even Keaton discusses this with her and how uncool he does find indiscriminate killing. Keaton. Xander seems to be the one who really doesnt discuss this with Peri, which is odd to me. However, it tells me a lot about Xander's character in how he treats Peri. He indulges her, spoils her. Its not something i look down on Xander for, but it gives me a lot of insight to the kind of person he is. He really seems to gravitate towards really damaged people....and spoils them.

They literally have teleportation orbs that let them return at any time they want, and they've been explicitly told what a "wrong choice" would entail. It's rather astounding that they made the returning characters so incredibly stupid.

[spoiler=hmm]

I dunno. Selena is still a real piece of work. So it wouldnt shock me if she stayed in Nohr for purely selfish reasons. Cant say much about the others though.

I hate both of Hinoka's retainers! Why did they make them so.... stupid?

Setsuna is really depressing.

Quick question, have they given Kinu more of a personality? I keep hearing people complaining about one-note anime characters in Awakening (of which there are plenty, don't get me wrong), but I haven't heard anything about her, and she's essentially walking fetish fuel without any real traits other than "playing", which again fits into the category of that particular fetish. It might be a bit of a strong word, but she might be the least developed character in the entire series, at least in the Japanese version.

She has a little more character than just playing. The play is really in front, but like her daddy, she has that "i need to return the favors to people who do things for me." Which is something that seems to be innately ingrained in her. Shes a bit immature, but there is a character under there i think. I really like her tbh. I think shes less gimmicky than someone like Ilyana tbh.

[spoiler=hmm]

I dunno. Selena is still a real piece of work. So it wouldnt shock me if she stayed in Nohr for purely selfish reasons. Cant say much about the others though.

No, sorry, I refuse to believe that three people who came from a ruined future and went back in time to save the world decided it was a good idea to utterly destroy an entire nation. I'm not a big fan of Severa, but she has to be given more credit than that; she lashed out at the guy in her paralogue for not being with his family, so I believe she'd never willingly invade a country and start breaking up families.

They came there to try and save the world even though they didn't have to. There is literally no way even a brat like her would stay for, like, trinkets.

[spoiler=yeah but]

that actually seems to be why she's there, dude. Serving Camilla because Camilla treats her nice. Outside that dlc that hasnt dropped here yet, there isnt much in the way of discussion as to why those three are even there. Or why they would go along with Nohr. The only other explanation i can figure, is that they would all be executed by Garon if they didnt stay. Why they didnt wind up in Hoshido to begin with, is anyone's guess.

"Well that kid in the tower is the chosen one, right?"
"I guess so."

[spoiler=yeah but]

that actually seems to be why she's there, dude. Serving Camilla because Camilla treats her nice. Outside that dlc that hasnt dropped here yet, there isnt much in the way of discussion as to why those three are even there. Or why they would go along with Nohr. The only other explanation i can figure, is that they would all be executed by Garon if they didnt stay. Why they didnt wind up in Hoshido to begin with, is anyone's guess.

"I guess so."

I've got an idea for the discrepancy: there were different teams in charge of writing the story and DLC. The guys who wrote the Invisible Story or whatever it was called simply didn't have enough information about their role in the main story - either that, or they just stayed as to not remove units because of gameplay.

Either way, I can't accept that even Severa would kill people for shits and giggles. It simply doesn't make sense; enjoying working under Camilla is one thing, invading another nation is something completely different.

Honestly, i think they are supposed to be there for the sake of Corrin picking Nohr. Why they just dont leave if Corrin picks Hoshido, is likely because they would get hunted down as traitors and killed. Because we are supposed to think that Corrin has everyone's best interests at heart despite the whole invading Hoshido thing on that route.

[spoiler=yeah but]

"I guess so."

[spoiler=Unreleased DLC Spoilers]The easy answer is inconsistent and crappy writing, much like a lot of problems with Conquest's writing in general. The long answer is that, at least in the original Japanese version of the DLC, the person who gave them their quest doesn't tell them anything about the person they're supposed to be protecting (aka Corrin). Which, again, circles right back around to bad writing.

Edited by AzureSen

Honestly, i think they are supposed to be there for the sake of Corrin picking Nohr. Why they just dont leave if Corrin picks Hoshido, is likely because they would get hunted down as traitors and killed. Because we are supposed to think that Corrin has everyone's best interests at heart despite the whole invading Hoshido thing on that route.

Irrelevant. They've got magic orbs that take them to a different world.

Irrelevant. They've got magic orbs that take them to a different world.

No its not because that is not mentioned at all outside that dlc, which isnt out yet. In other words, as it stands right now, there is no mention of plot gifts for those three.

Edited by Loki Laufeyson

No its not because that is not mentioned at all outside that dlc, which isnt out yet. In other words, as it stands right now, there is no mention of plot gifts for those three.

You mean, the original version isn't good enough?

You mean, the original version isn't good enough?

I mean, they dont have any discussion that theres a magic plot gift they all have in order to warp them away. Theres literally nothing to suggest they are free to leave at any time in any fashion. So, many players (myself included) are going to assume that these guys went traipsing in the Outrealms and came to Nohr and bit off more than they can chew.

I mean, they dont have any discussion that theres a magic plot gift they all have in order to warp them away. Theres literally nothing to suggest they are free to leave at any time in any fashion. So, many players (myself included) are going to assume that these guys went traipsing in the Outrealms and came to Nohr and bit off more than they can chew.

You sure? "Use these magic orbs to return to your world" sounds pretty straight forward to me, but it's not like I can prove it would be easy for them to actually use them, I suppose. That being said, I think they stayed because of gameplay reasons and/or horrible communication between the writers.

However, in the same fashion, there's literally nothing to suggests that Severa stays for her own selfishness.

Best character is king Gannondorf. All he does is sit his ass on his throne all day and he is one of the Buffett characters in the game. That's some inspirational shit right there. Imagine if he was recruitable? He would be the most op character. Probably has s rank relationship with his chair

I have two conspiracy theories as to why the Awakening trio where on Nohr's side to begin with and also not on both routes.

1( IntSys realized that Conquest was the weaker story and wanted to give some incentive to players who liked Owain, Inigo and Severa.

2( The Awakening trio weren't actually intended to be Owain, Inigo and Severa originally, just to be similar to them in the same way the Hoshido Kid Trio is to Gaius, Tharja and Cordelia, but negative feedback forced them to make the change at the last minute.

You sure? "Use these magic orbs to return to your world" sounds pretty straight forward to me, but it's not like I can prove it would be easy for them to actually use them, I suppose. That being said, I think they stayed because of gameplay reasons and/or horrible communication between the writers.

However, in the same fashion, there's literally nothing to suggests that Severa stays for her own selfishness.

Severa staying for her own selfishness doesn't even make sense for her character. Yeah, she could be a jerk and insensitive and definitely is materialistic, and I'm saying that as someone who actually likes her, but she was also brave and selfless enough to risk her life repeatedly to save the world, and if she has a motivation for that beyond it being the right thing to do it's never explored.

Edited by AzureSen

Best character is king Gannondorf. All he does is sit his ass on his throne all day and he is one of the Buffett characters in the game. That's some inspirational shit right there. Imagine if he was recruitable? He would be the most op character. Probably has s rank relationship with his chair

The s rank with his chair bit made me seriously laugh.

I have two conspiracy theories as to why the Awakening trio where on Nohr's side to begin with and also not on both routes.

1( IntSys realized that Conquest was the weaker story and wanted to give some incentive to players who liked Owain, Inigo and Severa.

2( The Awakening trio weren't actually intended to be Owain, Inigo and Severa originally, just to be similar to them in the same way the Hoshido Kid Trio is to Gaius, Tharja and Cordelia, but negative feedback forced them to make the change at the last minute.

Severa staying for her own selfishness doesn't even make sense for her character. Yeah, she could be a jerk and insensitive and definitely is materialistic, and I'm saying that as someone who actually likes her, but she was also brave and selfless enough to risk her life repeatedly to save the world, and if she has a motivation for that beyond it being the right thing to do it's never explored.

That's what I've been arguing. I'm not a fan of Severa either, but like you say, she fought hard to save the world - and did it again in the Fates DLC. Not to mention she even tried persuading that guy (Roland, was it?) in her paralogue to go back to his wife and children and scolds him for not being there with them - it's hard to imagine her invading a country and killing a bunch of people and destroying families when that's what happened to her and is so against it.

Like I said, there's literally zero reason to assume she was fine with an invasion, and the same goes for the other two morons.