Least Favorite Characters?

Elibean Spaceman

Bad news guys, the check bounced...

I'm afraid no bank will accept that, since - unless this is changed in the localization or I'm completely misremembering things - Corrin whines quite a bit later on, and I'm also sure his support with Azura deals with his guilt.

Azura's support is mostly based around him being told, more or less, to keep his chin up and deal with it though, so I don't really count that as wangst.

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My least favourite character by far is Peri and thats mostly because she's just evil. She's a mass murderer who's allowed to get away with it because she's on the good guys side. Yeah Henry was morally questionable, but he did't threaten to go on a killing spree because someone would't give him some cookies. Another reason is that I think she makes the rest of the cast look much worse in comparison. No good guy should willingly let an insane luncatic carry weapons and yet she's Xander's chief retainer?

First half, he doesnt whine as much. Looks like the whine kicks in around chapter 15. I caught him whining a little. My MU would SO not say this shit.

Oh god please tell me they took out the "I should have sided with Hoshido" line at least. Please. I will take what bare scraps of not-whining I can.

Azura's support is mostly based around him being told, more or less, to keep his chin up and deal with it though, so I don't really count that as wangst.

He also doesn't whine at all in it, just reasserts that he knows the path he chose is the right one, if hard to walk. That's how Nohrmui (and maybe Nohrrin) should have been.

Edited by Abvora

Actually its Ryoma who is more deserving of that complaint. While not my least favorite by any stretch I do find it...well, I find it downright vile of Ryoma that he discounts the notion of the Norhrian siblings being Corrins family.

The Norhian siblings have raised Corrin for far longer then Ryoma ever did and unlike his siblings Ryoma KNOWS he and the Hoshidan's aren't Corrin's blood family either which leaves him with little leg to stand on. Even worse is that he has no problem introducing the equally kidnapped Azura as HIS sibling. It makes Ryoma seem like a gigantic hypocrite to me and that does affect my opinion of him negatively.

Oh! Asides from Asugi I would also nominate Peri as my least favorite because she just drags Corrin and Xander down in her awfulness. It rings rather hollow for those two to be horrified at Lago and Hans being psychopath's while willingly employing a mass murderer of their own.

Exactly. I don't like Ryoma for that reason. Come to your true family? He knows that he's no different from the Nohr siblings because none of them are related by blood. Accusing Xander of brainwashing Corrin is incredibly stupid. He's probably my least favorite royal, but he comes nowhere near Azama and Jakob.

Now for the rest

Flora: Didn't like her to begin with

Hayato: Ricken 2.0

Azama: Asshole with bad design

Jakob: Asshole

Nyx: Hate her design

Niles: really perverted, bad design and got so much love for being bi. That said what he does for Mozu makes me hate him a little less.

Gunter: Jagen had more personality and a cooler design than this guy.

Rhajat: Didn't like Tharja so that explains itself

Oh god please tell me they took out the "I should have sided with Hoshido" line at least. Please. I will take what bare scraps of not-whining I can.

He also doesn't whine at all in it, just reasserts that he knows the path he chose is the right one, if hard to walk. That's how Nohrmui (and maybe Nohrrin) should have been.

If they at least took out that line and the whining in the early stages of the game, I'll be happy. It's one thing to feel morally conflicted about something and another to beat a player over the head with how they were wrong for not choosing glorious Nippon homeland.

Also, he does whine a little bit, just not to the extent that he does in the campaign.

If they at least took out that line and the whining in the early stages of the game, I'll be happy. It's one thing to feel morally conflicted about something and another to beat a player over the head with how they were wrong for not choosing glorious Nippon homeland.

Also, he does whine a little bit, just not to the extent that he does in the campaign.

I'm sitting around at Conquest Chapter 10 (screw you Takumi) and he hasn't whined nearly as much. The worst he got was a bit of hesitancy at fighting his Hoshidan siblings, but that's understandable and forgivable, especially since the localization made him a bit more assertive about "I have to do it, it's for Nohr" after.

That said, from what I recall the real whining didn't start until Chapter 13, so. We'll see. But if the whining's toned down (or gone, but I doubt that) and that line doesn't exist, I'll call it a victory.

Xander. I despise him. I hate everything that he stands for. He disgusts me.

Rant over.

Xander is strange in that he seems righteous and lawful, but then he shows himself as a relativist who doesn't believe in right, good or justice (as he claims to Corrin when they take Sakura's fortress on Conquest), that there is only the plain cruelty of reality and nothing more. I wish I had some quote from pastebin or whatever to show it, but I guess I'll have to wait until the SF section about Fates "matures".

I don't think there are any characters that I dislike, save Charlotte, because I despise people who manipulate others and her reasons, while understandable, do not justify her actions; and Izana, whose gimmick annoys me and I can't find it funny at all. Overall, there are just characters who are boring and don't catch my attention, such as Asama, Rinka, Benny, Harold, Setsuna (even though I've used her until the endgame) and others that I've forgotten right now.

Edited by Rapier

Damn I forgot about Corrin. The biggest problems I had with Nohrrin came with constant player guilt-trips and 'I chose the wrong path' [spoiler={Nohr spoilers}]the biggest one of these I can remember came after Ryoma's death

so I'm interested to see how they changed them/didn't.

Okay look, I don't hate Kaze or anything (in fact I really like his character), but I gotta admit his reason for joining in Conquest, as others have said, is flimsy as hell

Also the only time I thought Corrin was particularly whiny was when the Rainbow Sage died

I lol'd at that part

Edited by Pixelman

(currently in the middle of Conquest)

Oh boy, time to dish out more hate towards fictional characters. I suppose it better than hating people in real life...

Least Favorite Gameplay wise:

1. Nyx: High magic growth or not, one hit and she's down. The lack of grinding opportunities in Conquest makes getting already solid characters good extremely difficult, let alone challenging characters. Sorry Nyx. I was really interested in learning about you, but I can't grind supports when you die from a leaf touching you.
  2. Azura: I have never found the dancer/bard/songstress archetype practical or interesting. While the extra move can be useful, I find that it encourages reckless behavior more than anything, its like Jet/Jump Pack units in Warhammer 40k (ironically speaking as a tau player). Combine that with her poop growths in tanking stats, she mostly sits on the bench for me.
  3. Flora: Oh why o why must you join so late, and only after a specific mycastle requirement is met and after my avatar is about to fully s-support your sister? I would have preferred it to be you!
  4. The Awakening Trio: I am making them work, but it is difficult after a few years of making them absolute murder machines in Awakening to go to this.

Least Favorite Story wise/In general

1. Kamui: I know Fire Emblem lords and ladies are supposed to be idealistic and incredibly naive, but Kamui I think hits the singularity for how naive and stupid they can be. Sure, Roy, Leif, Erika and the rest of them had some stupid moments, but never like this. Reform the Kingdom from within by being nice and showing mercy? While I like your ideals, you actually got to fight for them, damn it! I was expecting to actually start a rebellion at some point (post Cheve rebellion anyone?)! Not blindly follow

the slime monster

while moaning about how you wish you could have chosen the other side! Oi IS! I bought Conquest because I wanted to play as the bad guys and then lead a revolution! Not watch someone mope around lamenting why he didn't choose glorious nippon Hoshido. (If you haven't noticed, I am quite salty about this)

2. Azura: Oh dear, I really wanted to like you. But your reliance on shoddy planning and plot macguffins that instantly break after revealing plot critical info makes it so hard. If you know about the real threat to the known world then say something! Being mysterious for mysterious's sake is cliche and boring, not to mention aggravating.
  3. Asama: From what I have seen from Birthright, he pales in comparison to Sakura as a healer and he is an ass to people who don't deserve it. Unless I see some redeeming supports for him, I will leave him to die at the hands of wyvern riders.
  4. Anankos/Hydra/big-evil-god-entity®: This story didn't need this. I was sold on the human conflict from the first trailer and while I do see how it can be woven into the plot, it is completely unnecessary. Especially for Conquest/Birthright.

5. Ricken 2.0: I didn't like Ricken. One-dimensonal and under-leveled compared to my other casters at the time meant he was benched. Same goes for his expy.
  6. Shara/Rajhat: Tharja was a child-abusing, spouse-abusing stalker with creepy delusions. This is the kind of person I would get a restraining order against. Her presence means that if/when I play her paralouge, if she is an enemy like Cynthia was in hers, Tharja v2.0 is dead. (nothing against Cynthia, she's just the main example that came to my head at the time)
  7. Effie: Not overtly. I love her Japanese self. But they slightly tweaked her character in the localization to make her Sully and Stahl merged into the same person. She was fine as she was! And while I do like Marisha Ray as characters like Margret from persona, I just don't think her voice fits Effie well.

Ok, ranting over. Onto more productive things

Edited by warchiefwilliams

Note: I haven't seen much of the localization so if characters are different there, don't mind me.

Appearance-wise:

Charlotte: I get being a honey-trap is part of her goal but I think she could have been a bit classier about it. She's TRYING to go for demure, after all.

Camilla: I love and hate this. A+ for hair, horns and color scheme, but the battle panties kill it for me.

Nyx- BIG forehead plus the usual fanservice issues.

Voices:

ENG: Elfie (SWOLE), Selkie (squeaky), Hinoka (50 smokes a day), Setsuna (pass the weed) Deere (more weed), Camilla (grandma) Nyx (where is my mature Rika?). There are probably others that bother me but these make me not want to use them at all.

JP: Pieri (third-person person) Oboro (Not the worst but the English voice is better)

Personality/Plot Involvement

ENG!Effie: Turning a soft-spoken woman into "Do you even lift, Kamui?"

Joker/Asama: Unnecessarily dickish. There is being snarky and there is just being mean.

JP!Zero: 3Lewd5me but also mean/creepy to people (dat Elise support, man).

Tsukuyomi: What's worse than arrogant adults? Arrogant children.

Belka/Pieri: Unrepentant killers, the former willing to kill anyone if ordered to and the latter who is just a psychopath tolerated by the rest of the cast.

Eponine: Not really feeling the yaoi fanatic.

ENG!Hisame: Pickle meme-lord

Izana: His humor is too overt.

Foleo: Is it not PC to dislike "likes to look like a girl but identifies as a man"?

Camilla: I dislike her for the same reason I dislike most of the story. SO much potential but so little explored. Her obsession with Kamui needs to be explored to make her a good character.

Garon/Macbeth/Ganz: Flat, boring villains.

The big ones

[spoiler=Kamui and Suzukaze]

This is based on their Conquest behavior. In this route, Kamui is a spineless coward who professes to wanting to do the right thing but doesn't have a plan for how to accomplish it. Somehow he reasons that assisting in an invasion is "helping to stop the war". Suzukaze is equally a moron for invading his homeland just because Kamui seems like a nice guy.

[spoiler=Marx]

The worst character in both Conquest and Birthright. He supports the invasion of Hoshido, flip-flopping between his chivalry and moral relativism/obedience to his evil father. Unlike Kamui, he probably has some political clout to subvert Garon but chooses not to. In Birthright, his stubbornness gets Elise and himself killed and in Conquest he doesn't take a moral stand until Garon is confirmed to literally be a monster. What a tool-bag.

[spoiler=Aqua and the Awakening Trio]

Colossal fuck ups that ruin a great deal of the story. They have all the answers to solving the greater conflict but take no actions in order to inform others of it. Aqua in particular is the biggest asshole for assisting in the invasion of the country that raised her and treated her kindly. Was that REALLY the best plan you could think of?

[spoiler=Garon]Garon: What's that? You want a morally complex villain with an understandable backstory and goal? Well fuck you, have a slime monster powered by an idiot ball.

You should spoiler Garon. The last part is pretty significant.

This goes for everyone. Be mindful of your spoilers guys.

Xander is strange in that he seems righteous and lawful, but then he shows himself as a relativist who doesn't believe in right, good or justice (as he claims to Corrin when they take Sakura's fortress on Conquest), that there is only the plain cruelty of reality and nothing more. I wish I had some quote from pastebin or whatever to show it, but I guess I'll have to wait until the SF section about Fates "matures".

This is something that bothers me (among many things) about Marx. He's supposed to be this paragon of knightly virtues, advocating mercy and honorable conduct but then he goes along with whatever Garon says and even stands by the invasion with an almost nihilist attitude. It reminds me of historical religious types who promoted values of kindness with the asterisk attached "Provided they share your nationality, ethnicity, creed and values".

Edited by NekoKnight

Jakob is an unfunny piece of shit with no redeeming characteristics.

ENG!Nohrrin is less of a putz, but still a putz. Also interesting how Azura tells her in their B support that he should feel bad about killing Hoshidans but then when they kill Kaden and the kitsune, she tells her she shouldn't feel bad. Wtf?

JP!Peri sucks, don't know how the localized version compares but so far, I don't have any confidence.

Camilla is just boring in the story and obnoxious in her supports. Biggest disappointment.

Felicia is retarded and has a voice actor as bad as Barry Burton's, only not as funny. Fucking emote dammit.

Haven't played the game yet, but from what I've seen of Xander I really don't like him. He's bland at best, and incredibly stupid (sure, keep on trusting the father that ordered you to kill your younger brother and wants to invade a peaceful nation) at worst.

And, can anyone confirm that Rhajat is litterally Tharja 2.0 or is it just in her supports with the avatar? Either way, I was originally planning on making my MC female to see how same sex relationships were handled, but now I might reconsider.

Edited by LeDom

JP!Peri sucks, don't know how the localized version compares but so far, I don't have any confidence.

Felicia is retarded and has a voice actor as bad as Barry Burton's, only not as funny. Fucking emote dammit.

Her voice is better. She still sounds young and excited about killing, but at least she doesn't sound like a moeblob holding a bloodstained knife and staring menacingly with red eyes, if anything like that can even make a sound.

Also, I'm much more bothered by Gunter than Felicia. He sounds like a cowboy on his 30s. Why.

This is something that bothers me (among many things) about Marx. He's supposed to be this paragon of knightly virtues, advocating mercy and honorable conduct but then he goes along with whatever Garon says and even stands by the invasion with an almost nihilist attitude. It reminds me of historical religious types who promoted values of kindness with the asterisk attached "Provided they share your nationality, ethnicity, creed and values".

I understand his gimmick. He's supposed to be righteous, but with loyalty speaking higher than everything else. It is the conflict between loyalty and what is right that made him give up on the latter and embrance the former, when he has to pick one (like in the case I've cited). The typical "my country, right or wrong" guy that is a perfect knight.

Haven't played the game yet, but from what I've seen of Xander I really don't like him. He's bland at best, and incredibly stupid (sure, keep on trusting the father that ordered you to kill your younger brother and wants to invade a peaceful nation) at worst.

I'd have fewer problems with this if only Hoshido wasn't a rainbow utopia and Xander had a better motive to follow his father that is not "he became mad at a sudden, I think conquering Hoshido will bring him back to normal" or "justice does not exist, we do what we must do and that's the end of that".

Edited by Rapier

Her voice is better. She still sounds young and excited about killing, but at least she doesn't sound like a moeblob holding a bloodstained knife and staring menacingly with red eyes, if anything like that can even make a sound.

You just perfectly described Yuno Gasai.

Also, I realize who I hate most: Garon. Literally everything wrong with the game's plot can be traced back to him.

If he were not a slime monster, but a simple man like Travant, doing wrong things for the right reasons--to get his people resources--Xander is suddenly no longer a blind idiot, but a tragic prince following his father's example for the good of their country. Corrin and Azura are no longer spineless idiots, but similarly-focused well-intentioned extremists who believe in Garon's cause and thus have no reason to want to go against him. Hoshido is no longer a country full of idiots unable to tell their neighbors were evil and starving, but a morally grey land that may or may not have withheld resources from them.

Dammit, IntSys.

Edited by Abvora

Also, I realize who I hate most: Garon. Literally everything wrong with the game's plot can be traced back to him.

If he were not a slime monster, but a simple man like Travant, doing wrong things for the right reasons--to get his people resources--Xander is suddenly no longer a blind idiot, but a tragic prince following his father's example for the good of their country. Corrin and Azura are no longer spineless idiots, but similarly-focused well-intentioned extremists who believe in Garon's cause and thus have no reason to want to go against him. Hoshido is no longer a country full of idiots unable to tell their neighbors were evil and starving, but a morally grey land that may or may not have withheld resources from them.

Dammit, IntSys.

I blame it on Anankos and Valla in general to be honest. If they wanted to come up with a way to have the nations unite, they could've come up with something that didn't rely on 'spooky dragon wants to kill everything for no reason'. Not to mention that it doesn't make Azura and the Awakening Trio look like idiots for not trying to let people know what was going on.

[spoiler={Heavy Spoilers}]Aside from invalidating both other routes, Revelation really fucks up the premise with its influence alone. If Garon had not been slime dad and instead an iron-fisted ruler who loved his children, Corrin included, not only would the choice have been much harder but Corrin's character following the choice may have actually become something admirable instead of the spineless, naive goody-two-shoes who needs to be tortured by the villain for some reason. I wish they had committed to making both routes equal in morality and story, because as it stands it seems heavily biases towards Revelation > Hoshdo > Nohr, which is a crock when you consider they're charging you for the supposed 'worst route' story-wise.

EDIT:

Ryoma and Silas

Forgot about Silas. Not exactly my least favourite but boring and pointless IMO, doesn't help that I also dislike Sophie. Was so disappointed that he really has no substance and actually comes off as a bit of a 'nice-guy' jerk in some supports.

Edited by nordopolica

Dammit, IntSys.

This is the heart of the issue. You can't really sympathize with Marx because his loyalty to Garon seems baseless and the invasion is less about pragmatic need than it is about "because my evil dad said so". I didn't feel bad at all killing Marx in Birthright because he brought it on himself by pointlessly siding with the wrong team. I can guarantee I'd be crying if Marx was just trying to save his country from ruin.

Localized version only or either version? I have a few characters I don't like in the original version, but I haven't played enough of the localized version to tell as of now (and it'll be a while before I play Conquest). I disliked Kamui in the original, however, and I doubt any amount of localization can change that.

Localized version only or either version? I have a few characters I don't like in the original version, but I haven't played enough of the localized version to tell as of now (and it'll be a while before I play Conquest). I disliked Kamui in the original, however, and I doubt any amount of localization can change that.

why not both

Umm lets see

localized!Effie, probably because her personality has kind of shifted to an arrogant 'do you even lift bruh' as opposed to the meek girl wondering why the hell everyone was looking at her so weird for carrying two trees

Camilla is sort of 'meh', in the original she creeped me out and in localization she…still kinda creeps me out.

Also I heard Rhajat has been changed to act a lot more like Tharja, which isn't great imo. But I haven't read anything about her, so this is going off other people's words and I'll find out once Hayato reaches S rank.

also 'won't you dive in the brine with me' literally makes me cringe and probably took a good ten points off of Hisame.

The big ones

[spoiler=Kamui and Suzukaze]

This is based on their Conquest behavior. In this route, Kamui is a spineless coward who professes to wanting to do the right thing but doesn't have a plan for how to accomplish it. Somehow he reasons that assisting in an invasion is "helping to stop the war". Suzukaze is equally a moron for invading his homeland just because Kamui seems like a nice guy.

[spoiler=Marx]

The worst character in both Conquest and Birthright. He supports the invasion of Hoshido, flip-flopping between his chivalry and moral relativism/obedience to his evil father. Unlike Kamui, he probably has some political clout to subvert Garon but chooses not to. In Birthright, his stubbornness gets Elise and himself killed and in Conquest he doesn't take a moral stand until Garon is confirmed to literally be a monster. What a tool-bag.

[spoiler=Aqua and the Awakening Trio]

Colossal fuck ups that ruin a great deal of the story. They have all the answers to solving the greater conflict but take no actions in order to inform others of it. Aqua in particular is the biggest asshole for assisting in the invasion of the country that raised her and treated her kindly. Was that REALLY the best plan you could think of?

I agree so so much with this. Kamui and Aqua just come off as total idiots. And Xander......just Xander.

Dammit, IntSys.

This does kinda sum up almost all of Conquest's issues.

I understand his gimmick. He's supposed to be righteous, but with loyalty speaking higher than everything else. It is the conflict between loyalty and what is right that made him give up on the latter and embrance the former, when he has to pick one (like in the case I've cited). The typical "my country, right or wrong" guy that is a perfect knight.

Someone earlier in this thread pointed out how Xander was willing to defy his father's order in the beginning to help Kamui on his suicide mission but he won't defy his father when innocent Hoshidans are getting slaughtered en masse. So yeah....

Edited by BruceLee

This is why I dislike him. No will of his own and a self-righteous hypocrite.