Underleveled in Conquest?

Soonaynay

Just reached Chapter 16, where most of the enemy levels hover around 16-17. However, I realized a good majority of my army is somehow very under leveled (11-12). I've tried to share the exp equally between my whole army. Is there any way to not be under leveled without benching units? Or did I mess up somehow? Any advice is appreciated!

The thing is, I have been feeding them kills. I've avoided killing with any of the higher leveled characters as much as possible.

I'm honestly not sure what happened, lol. In a few of the beginning chapters, however, I accidentally ended them too early without killing as many enemy units as possible, so maybe that's a cause. I'm going to try focusing exp on 3/4 of my army instead of all of it, so we'll see if that works.

The thing is, I have been feeding them kills. I've avoided killing with any of the higher leveled characters as much as possible.

I'm honestly not sure what happened, lol. In a few of the beginning chapters, however, I accidentally ended them too early without killing as many enemy units as possible, so maybe that's a cause. I'm going to try focusing exp on 3/4 of my army instead of all of it, so we'll see if that works.

Like in most Classic Fire Emblems it always better to have an Elite squad instead of giving every single soldier equal share amount of EXP. This makes it so that you can keep up with the tensions and levels and stats with the enemies since almost every single chapter you go, the enemies all have at least 1 or level higher than the previous chapter. I usually say main at least 8 to 10 units. By the time I got to chapter 18 majority of my units were base level 20 promoted.

Now I'm at chapter 26 and most of my main units are at least Promoted at level 16.

Edited by kingddd

I tend to look up the final chapter's unit requirement (which are 16 in this game, believe), and use that many. The 2 exceptions are fe4 (which allows you to deploy everyone at once, and has exp numbers built around this), and fe5 (which has mechanics to encourage a wider variety of units, but will curbstomp you if you try to use everyone)

If a half of your army are there only as support bots, there's little point in giving them exp other than promoting them and maybe getting them a useful skill of some sort (like Charlotte learning Rally Strength in Conquest).

Dosn't the way that the dual system works make this less true than in awakening? I should note that making your army too small is not necessarily a good idea, because exp decreases drastically if you level more than 3-4 levels over your opponents. (full disclosure: my preorder apparently doesn't come till Wednesday, so still theorycrafting).

Edited by sirmola

Dosn't the way that the dual system works make this less true than in awakening? I should note that making your army too small is not necessarily a good idea, because exp decreases drastically if you level more than 3-4 levels over your opponents. (full disclosure: my preorder apparently doesn't come till Wednesday, so still theorycrafting).

It makes it more true than Awakening because defensive pair-up doesn't take characters' stats into account when determining the pair-up bonuses you get (i.e. you get 0 extra strength regardless of whether the pair-up bot has 5 strength or 35). Certainly, to use Attack Stance more effectively you will want a fully functional army, but there will still be units you will rely on more in AtS (such as ones with high str/mag like Orochi and Effie).

The quicker you play, the less time you have to feed everyone experience. Juggernauts in defensive pair-up still dominate the game in Fates on all paths. Units who are too overlevelled to get more than 1 point of exp from kills will still continue to level up thanks to promoted enemies and bosses existing.

It's not drastically different from the usual Fire Emblem experience, and your Jeigan - Jakob - is among the best ones that have existed in the series.