Feedback for The Wolf Complex

Crazy Foxie

Hello, this is the feedback forum in respect of The Wolf Complex. As stated, any and all comments, feedback and criticism would be hugely appreciated :) I try to update weekly as a personal project since I am a brilliant procrastinator and I'm on a mission to change that!

The first chapter was also submitted for the Serenes Forest Scribbles, which worked as a stand-alone chapter but is now turning into a bit of an epic that I would like to share with as many people as possible. Please let me hear your comments and let me know how I can improve.

Thank you~

~Hello!

I really enjoyed the story so far. Given that Wolf doesn't have much of a background or a personality, this was a good interpretation. I really liked that you wrote about a character who is overlooked by a good chunk of the fanbase :-)

You wrote Wolf exactly how one would expect him to feel towards the people around him after he was freed. Although, I was slightly confused by what was going on when Wolf was having a bath, his reactions were very realistic.

As for criticism, I really don't have much to comment on except for some minor grammatical errors and some history about Wolf's childhood or the relationship he had with some of the other slaves at the Pelham Estate would be nice to see. Though, what did become of the other slaves that were at the Pelhams?

Thank you for a great read! :)

First off, thank you so much for taking the time to write such detailed comments! Wolfguard seems to be very popular in Japan, but somehow that doesn't stretch into the culture here. I've noticed that a lot of people generally prefer the Whitewing sisters, who to me seem bland in comparison.

Needless to say because of the type of fic it is, it means a great deal to me that you're reading, so thank you!

As for criticism, I really don't have much to comment on except for some minor grammatical errors and some history about Wolf's childhood or the relationship he had with some of the other slaves at the Pelham Estate would be nice to see. Though, what did become of the other slaves that were at the Pelhams?

Haha, this is precisely what I get for diving into this. I'll certainly give this some thought...this is slight oversight on my part but can be rectified. Thank you for the outsider's opinion though, this really helps!

• 4 weeks later...

Hardin's turn to darkness is a pivotal and important factor and I fully intend to get there eventually. The only thing I can't decide at this stage is whether to take FE3 or FE12's ending, but it ultimately won't change anything.

It'll be interesting to see the early years of the first war from a non Altean perspective too. I assume you've already planned for and worked in Hardin's appearances in Akaneia saga too.

I had briefly touched on the Akaneian Saga on my plan. For the most part it seems self-explanatory, but I'm sure I could add more to it because Minerva is one of my favourites :) I do want to look into the pre-war politics as well, Hardin's relationship with his brother and other royalty at that time, so Nyna's parents, young Marth...but I'll leave it there! If I had to say, I would estimate about 80% of the fic will be pre-FE1.

I've also updated the intro post on the fic to this effect. I also just noticed I didn't specifically state this isn't yaoi...! For the record I'm not heading that way (because the latest chapter could have serious implications of this, so I thought I'd make that clear now).

OMG, you're actually doing it~!

Actual question: How closely do you want to follow canon?

Yeah, this personal mission is slowly but surely making progress!

Err...good question. I was actually seriously considering this because of Jotari's question last week. Generally speaking I want to stick to canon as much as possible. I love trying to make canon universes make sense - it's a bit of a guilty pleasure of mine. Plus I need Hardin to turn evil, so everything up until then should line up. After that, well, that would ruin the ending, wouldn't it? Whichever one I go for, anyway.

I really appreciate you reading the updates and commenting though!

• 3 weeks later...

Hi, I just wanted to say, I've been following this since the Scribbles contest and I've really been enjoying it so far. I especially like how you're working the future Wolfguard members into the story (and am looking forward to seeing what you'll do with Roshea).

Out of sheer curiosity, I'd like to ask how in-depth you intend to go with the events of FE1. Since that part of the story already has a more well-known and more narrowly defined canon, it could probably be told at a quicker pace.

Funny you should mention Roshea - I may or may not already have plans for him :) There's definitely a few more things I need to do with him away from the main group for the moment, but at least he's in the story now.

In respect of FE1, as you say it's fairly obvious how the game pans out and I'll probably sail past that one. It won't nearly be as in depth as this one as there are probably not many scenes that can take place outside what people already know. Aurelis was reclaimed fairly early in the game, and the rest of the game is a bit of a Marth show and doesn't really hit home for the Wolfguard lot.

Thank you for reading though. It gives me a lot of motivation to keep going at the pace I'm aiming towards (although I did get a bit slack this week).

In respect of FE1, as you say it's fairly obvious how the game pans out and I'll probably sail past that one. It won't nearly be as in depth as this one as there are probably not many scenes that can take place outside what people already know. Aurelis was reclaimed fairly early in the game, and the rest of the game is a bit of a Marth show and doesn't really hit home for the Wolfguard lot.

That's really the sort of stuff the Gaidens should have focused on in Shadow Dragon instead of slaughter half your army to get completely unimportant new characters (though admittedly Horace' story was kind of interesting and tied in nicely with the main plot. The others, not so much).

Edited by Jotari

How close is this to the War of Shadows? you mention Roshea being barely older than a child, and in FE1/11 he's at least 16/17.

In respect of chapter 14, I mentally had Roshea at around 15. Considering that he generally looks young for his age, I figured that Wolf wouldn't even attempt to put an age to him (considering he has no real aspect of age in the first place) and just think he looks younger than the others. Sorry if the wording is confusing! I haven't decided the time difference, but I'm putting this at around 5 years before FE1/War of Darkness (War of Shadows is FE3, iirc). I confess not knowing much about military prowess, but I'm assuming you need a few years' training under your belt to be a promoted unit by the time of FE1.

@Jotari: I agree with what you're saying, especially with the requirements for the Gaidens. Athena for me could potentially be a very interesting character (much like Xane, where their origins aren't really expanded/developed).

• 4 weeks later...

Oh, thanks for picking that up! That was a mix-up on my part; I'll go change everything over.

Orleans is actually Aurelis' Japanese name :) It's not much of an excuse, but hopefully it clears it up a bit.

Next chapter will be up soon. I've looked over it so many times there's probably something glaringly obvious I've overlooked there as well. I really wanted to bring Marth in, but it didn't quite work out so you have to deal with what you've got :)

• 1 month later...

Yep, still reading. Not sure how close to canon this'll be when all is said and done, but it's still plenty entertaining!

I'm more curious as to which canon. That is will the Wolf Brigade join Marth or stick with Hardain.

Wow, it means so much that you're all still reading...! Thank you :3 Sorry the other one took so long to update - the weekends got a bit manic and before I knew it it's nearly August! I do have a 3 week holiday at the end of August, so there definitely won't be any updates then.

When all is said and done, I'll have a better idea what fate to give everyone :) The possibilities are endless, which is part of the problem...

Wow, it means so much that you're all still reading...! Thank you :3 Sorry the other one took so long to update - the weekends got a bit manic and before I knew it it's nearly August! I do have a 3 week holiday at the end of August, so there definitely won't be any updates then.

When all is said and done, I'll have a better idea what fate to give everyone :) The possibilities are endless, which is part of the problem...

There's only one solution. Turn it into a visual novel!

• 2 weeks later...

Ha, loving the idea of a visual novel! I'll make up my mind by the end of it, but we still have a few months yet :)

Thanks, I've been meaning to do a bit of Vyland/Roshea for a while. I'll comment on A Murder of Ravens separately (I had to do a bit of reading up on Blazing Sword!)