What do you Drive // Car Enthusiast Thread

SaMaster14

Hey guys,

Other than being a casual gamer and into certain animes and the like, my other non-academic/non-professional hobby has to be cars and automobiles. I'm extremely active on many car forums, and go out and drive for fun on weekends/meet up for car-shows etc. I'm not just someone who looks at exotics and gushes, I think of myself to actually know a little bit about the auto industry, how cars work, etc.

Anyone else here share my passion? I did a quick search on the forums for a cars thread, and didn't find anything current.

So... what do you drive? What is your favorite car? Know any amazing roads? haha

My current car is a 2015 BMW M3 sedan (the coupes are now M4s...). I've pretty much wanted this car since I knew how to drive (and probably before that time), so I would have to say, I wouldn't have anything else for the money. I do have high aspirations for the future, but for now I'll relish the *near*-supercar performance of this everyday sedan!

DSC_8162.jpg

DSC_8163.jpg

DSC_8168.jpg

DSC_8175.jpg

I'm not much of a car enthusiast but I do love my Camry. I drive a 2014.5 SE Camry that I'm still paying off with part of my grad school stipend.

I had a 93 Camry for my senior year of high school and my freshman year of college that broke down due to it being a piece of shit that my sisters and my dad used to drive. Good riddance anyway, it had terrible gas mileage. Was a V6 though.

I drove my sister's 07 Camry my last two years of college cause she was working in Qatar the entire time I was in undergrad, and that is a nice smooth car. Otherwise, I really love the Camry even though it's a relatively basic car.

Roads in Arizona are great once you leave the town, driving on the highways is a blast. I drove it through a bunch of highways down south, and my favorite road to drive through was in Tennessee. Driving up to and around the grand canyon was also an amazing drive and I wish I took photos of it.

I'm not much of a car enthusiast but I do love my Camry. I drive a 2014.5 SE Camry that I'm still paying off with part of my grad school stipend.

I had a 93 Camry for my senior year of high school and my freshman year of college that broke down due to it being a piece of shit that my sisters and my dad used to drive. Good riddance anyway, it had terrible gas mileage. Was a V6 though.

I drove my sister's 07 Camry my last two years of college cause she was working in Qatar the entire time I was in undergrad, and that is a nice smooth car. Otherwise, I really love the Camry even though it's a relatively basic car.

Roads in Arizona are great once you leave the town, driving on the highways is a blast. I drove it through a bunch of highways down south, and my favorite road to drive through was in Tennessee. Driving up to and around the grand canyon was also an amazing drive and I wish I took photos of it.

Toyota makes a great machine. Bulletproof too (they can last forever!).

I had a friend who went to school at UofA and I've seen some of his drives up there. Some amazing roads!

Holy shit, the m3 is a beast. Nice car, dude!

I drive my mum's beat up 2005 honda fit, with 250k km and a fucked up injection lmao, thats the fresh out of high school swag. I have more than a passing interest in cars tho (im sure im not as big of a fan as you) so if i had the means to get one though i'd prolly get one of a wrx sti (bro connotations aside), a golf gti, or if i had real ass means, an audi r8 (literal wet dreams)

I had a friend who went to school at UofA and I've seen some of his drives up there. Some amazing roads!

Though, the roads around UofA themselves suck major dick. I mean I go to UA but yeah this city is the least ideal place to drive. rip my mpg

Holy shit, the m3 is a beast. Nice car, dude!

I drive my mum's beat up 2005 honda fit, with 250k km and a fucked up injection lmao, thats the fresh out of high school swag. I have more than a passing interest in cars tho (im sure im not as big of a fan as you) so if i had the means to get one though i'd prolly get one of a wrx sti (bro connotations aside), a golf gti, or if i had real ass means, an audi r8 (literal wet dreams)

Thanks! haha I treat my car almost like a person... :P

The new R8 V10+ is a MONSTER... I would honestly have it over the Lamborghini Huracan (same parent company (VW) and they are putting down just about the same numbers with the R8 being less money (especially considering maintenance).

Honda's are great cars... like Toyota, they are basically bulletproof. Both the Subaru and VW are GREAT cars for the money, relatively quick (the STI can be VERY quick with a few mods), comfortable, and classy. Some STI owners have a bad reputation, so you might be safer with the Golf haha.

Though, the roads around UofA themselves suck major dick. I mean I go to UA but yeah this city is the least ideal place to drive. rip my mpg

True, my friends had to go quite a ways out of Tuscon to find great roads.

... Well, damn.

y6Z3zoDh.jpg

To OP: I'm surprised you haven't gone with the regular 3/4/6 Series - heck, a 650i would have been a blast to drive. I should know, BMW actually had an event in a town near my residence back around August. They didn't have the M cars out ($750 option, heck no) or the new i8, but they did have a number of cars from the basic 2 Series to... A 740i?

To OP: I'm surprised you haven't gone with the regular 3/4/6 Series - heck, a 650i would have been a blast to drive. I should know, BMW actually had an event in a town near my residence back around August. They didn't have the M cars out ($750 option, heck no) or the new i8, but they did have a number of cars from the basic 2 Series to... A 740i?

The M cars are on a WHOLE different level. I've driven quite a few BMWs and I don't think I could ever go non-M. The 650 is a great car, but it's a boat. Apples to apples it's also slower and more expensive than the M3, but it's a completely different car. I'm also in my 20s... 6 series as a daily maybe down the road when I have kids and a fun weekend car on the side. But for where I am now, the M3 is the perfect daily driver. I wouldn't have anything else for the money!

If you loved the 650, once you drive an M car, you won't stop grinning. The setup is completely different from transmission to engine to suspension etc. I actually had a 335is before the M, and while the cars are very similar, they are sooooo different.

Not trying to sound rude, but why would you be surprised I didn't go with the regular model? The M3 is basically just the better version of the 3/4 series (they are basically the same car) and I explained my reasoning for the 6er above.

Awesome bike btw! I have a lot of friends who ride up in the canyons!

The M cars are on a WHOLE different level. I've driven quite a few BMWs and I don't think I could ever go non-M. The 650 is a great car, but it's a boat. Apples to apples it's also slower and more expensive than the M3, but it's a completely different car. I'm also in my 20s... 6 series as a daily maybe down the road when I have kids and a fun weekend car on the side. But for where I am now, the M3 is the perfect daily driver. I wouldn't have anything else for the money!

If you loved the 650, once you drive an M car, you won't stop grinning. The setup is completely different from transmission to engine to suspension etc. I actually had a 335is before the M, and while the cars are very similar, they are sooooo different.

Not trying to sound rude, but why would you be surprised I didn't go with the regular model? The M3 is basically just the better version of the 3/4 series (they are basically the same car) and I explained my reasoning for the 6er above.

Awesome bike btw! I have a lot of friends who ride up in the canyons!

And then I remind myself the reality of having a family...

In a way, I guess they're okay for having... I think it was 480 Horsepower for a two door tourer on an A-to-B journey far, far away. Having said that, I'll probably give the M3 the benefit of the doubt for being a bit more exciting, but I always thought BMW cars were perfect as it is.

I will say I wouldn't mind driving an E46 again. 20 minutes behind the wheel is not enough.

And it's cool - like my reasoning just now, I always thought BMW knew how to make a good driver's car even without the M-sport treatment you'd see in the M3/4/5 offerings.

Thanks! It's not a bad bike for where it's slotted but I guess it's decent enough to put a smile on my face. I might sell it for a big bore bike, though - maybe a CBR1100XX. I'm just way too tall for the thing haha.

And then I remind myself the reality of having a family...

In a way, I guess they're okay for having... I think it was 480 Horsepower for a two door tourer on an A-to-B journey far, far away. Having said that, I'll probably give the M3 the benefit of the doubt for being a bit more exciting, but I always thought BMW cars were perfect as it is.

I will say I wouldn't mind driving an E46 again. 20 minutes behind the wheel is not enough.

And it's cool - like my reasoning just now, I always thought BMW knew how to make a good driver's car even without the M-sport treatment you'd see in the M3/4/5 offerings.

Thanks! It's not a bad bike for where it's slotted but I guess it's decent enough to put a smile on my face. I might sell it for a big bore bike, though - maybe a CBR1100XX. I'm just way too tall for the thing haha.

The 650 puts out about 445hp and similar torque numbers. It is a beast, and a GREAT GT car. I also have to say that the 6 series grancoupe (and M6 grancoupe) is probably one of my favorite cars on the market right now... but it's also $100-$130+k if you build it properly. Not feasible at the moment haha.

E46 3 series is one of the best cars, still, imo. My friend had a manual e46 M3 coupe and it was a dream to drive. M GmbH (the "M-division") while owned outright by BMW, it technically a different entity, so I can see why some may prefer the standard BMW over the M-tuned car, especially depending on driving habits. The M cars really are (or at least used to be) track cars toned down for the street.

I've yet to drive a BMW, but I'd certainly like to. One of my friends had a 3 series and loved it. I drive a Frontier now and plan on sticking with it for a long time. In the past I drove a Ranger (RIP). My favorite car I've ever driven is the LR4. If I ever get to the point where I just have money to burn I will definitely get my own.

As for roads, North Carolina is great. Lots of scenery, well maintained, and the traffic isn't too bad. Maybe I'm just biased, but I've always hated Atlanta traffic in comparison to Charlotte traffic.

Edited by Castaigne

I've yet to drive a BMW, but I'd certainly like to. One of my friends had a 3 series and loved it. I drive a Frontier now and plan on sticking with it for a long time. In the past I drove a Ranger (RIP). My favorite car I've ever driven is the LR4. If I ever get to the point where I just have money to burn I will definitely get my own.

As for roads, North Carolina is great. Lots of scenery, well maintained, and the traffic isn't too bad. Maybe I'm just biased, but I've always hated Atlanta traffic in comparison to Charlotte traffic.

Aside from exotics, I do think BMW really is the 'ultimate driving machine' compared to anything in its class. I will say Mercedes is the more 'luxurious' automobile, but I don't even think the AMG models can dethrone the BMW ///M cars in driving dynamics for the most part. I'm not a fan of Audi, outside of the RS5/7 and R8, but I've never really driven one hard, so I can't comment. The RS5 is nearing its EOL, so it will be interesting to see what the new one can do!

I've never driving through the Carolinas or Georgia, but I'm sure the roads are gorgeous.

Edited by SaMaster14

Learned how to drive in an Acura Integra. Haven't driven anything else since. Current car is a '97 Integra that really needs a paint job.

I've never driving through the Carolinas or Georgia, but I'm sure the roads are gorgeous.

North Carolina and Georgia are both pretty great. South Carolina is more like an ugly buffer between the two lol

Aside from exotics, I do think BMW really is the 'ultimate driving machine' compared to anything in its class. I will say Mercedes is the more 'luxurious' automobile, but I don't even think the AMG models can dethrone the BMW ///M cars in driving dynamics for the most part. I'm not a fan of Audi, outside of the RS5/7 and R8, but I've never really driven one hard, so I can't comment. The RS5 is nearing its EOL, so it will be interesting to see what the new one can do!

I'unno, it kind of depends on what the end user wants and ordered for - until you want a flagship luxury vehicle, such as the top-of-the-line S65 BiTurbo AMG. At which point, BMW might have one hell of an issue unless they built some sort of an //M 7 series, preferably with a decent V12.

Sadly, I'm one of those people as I need some room for being six feet tall and I need to carry passengers, so that eliminated most of the executive cars for me.

Learned how to drive in an Acura Integra. Haven't driven anything else since. Current car is a '97 Integra that really needs a paint job.

Nothing wrong with an Integra as a first - for me, the initial experience was less than pleasing but at least it helped me get my license while making me learn how to drive stickshift flawlessly.

Heel and toe shifting... Well, we'll save that for later.

Edited by Zipang

I'unno, it kind of depends on what the end user wants and ordered for - until you want a flagship luxury vehicle, such as the top-of-the-line S65 BiTurbo AMG. At which point, BMW might have one hell of an issue unless they built some sort of an //M 7 series, preferably with a decent V12.

Sadly, I'm one of those people as I need some room for being six feet tall and I need to carry passengers, so that eliminated most of the executive cars for me.

BMW actually just unveiled an ///M760i with a 600hp TT v12. Alpina also released their new B7 (which can be purchased through BMW).

Those cars excel in straight line speed, but handling wise and track times (for street legal road cars at least), BMW usually trounces Mercedes.

• 3 weeks later...

So a few days ago, I received an invitation from a colleague to go drive a Tesla Model S with him - A P85D.

Well, I'll probably say this much: as much as it's unique in its own right... I just can't see this being a serious car with that price tag (the 6 digit range, up there with today's flagship luxury cars.) I mean, yes, sooner or later, we would have to face the fact that petrol is going to be completely gone and our beloved machines would be sitting on our driveways permanently and without their precious nectar.

BUT-

I just don't think it's ready for us, and we're probably not ready for it.

EDIT: While I do appreciate Tesla's commitment to their projects, I also have this gut feeling that they're only doing it for the money. Which is kind of a shame, if you think about it. It's not hard to make a car that appeases an accountant's checkbook, but it's not hard to appease the hundreds or so customers who'd end up buying either a lackluster machine or something that they'd cherish for decades.

Edited by Zipang

Nothing wrong with an Integra as a first - for me, the initial experience was less than pleasing but at least it helped me get my license while making me learn how to drive stickshift flawlessly.

Heel and toe shifting... Well, we'll save that for later.

The first car I drove was actually a Toyota Celica. I couldn't steer that car to save my life. Then, my mom got an Integra, and suddenly I know how to stay within my own lane!

Alas, I'm on automatic. Mom refused to drive manual, so I didn't learn how.

Edited by eclipse

The first car I drove was actually a Toyota Celica. I couldn't steer that car to save my life. Then, my mom got an Integra, and suddenly I know how to stay within my own lane!

Alas, I'm on automatic. Mom refused to drive manual, so I didn't learn how.

It could be worse. You could be driving a Mk2 Volkswagen Golf GTi with 'manual' steering. The first thing my friend asked me upon borrowing his '88 GTi for a shopping run down to Seattle was "how strong are your muscles?"

So a few days ago, I received an invitation from a colleague to go drive a Tesla Model S with him - A P85D.

Well, I'll probably say this much: as much as it's unique in its own right... I just can't see this being a serious car with that price tag (the 6 digit range, up there with today's flagship luxury cars.) I mean, yes, sooner or later, we would have to face the fact that petrol is going to be completely gone and our beloved machines would be sitting on our driveways permanently and without their precious nectar.

BUT-

I just don't think it's ready for us, and we're probably not ready for it.

EDIT: While I do appreciate Tesla's commitment to their projects, I also have this gut feeling that they're only doing it for the money. Which is kind of a shame, if you think about it. It's not hard to make a car that appeases an accountant's checkbook, but it's not hard to appease the hundreds or so customers who'd end up buying either a lackluster machine or something that they'd cherish for decades.

I don't think tesla is only in it for the money; they even released all of their patent info open source so other companies could use it when building electric cars. Tesla is making an affordable car to be released soon, but I do think they made a mistake releasing the Model X before an affordable model. They are great cars, but won't be commonplace until there are affordable models and more, faster, charging stations around NA and the world.

As a car enthusiast, I don't think I could ever have a tesla as an only car. Straight line speed is there, but unless they can match the handling and feel of sports cars of new and old, we won't see the end of gasoline cars for a little while. It's a Brave New World. Haha

• 3 weeks later...

As a car enthusiast, I don't think I could ever have a tesla as an only car. Straight line speed is there, but unless they can match the handling and feel of sports cars of new and old, we won't see the end of gasoline cars for a little while. It's a Brave New World. Haha

But it can. Remember that most, if not all of the Tesla's weight is situated between the two axles - kind of like a midship (mid-engine) car. And I can attest to its handling after taking a P85 for a spin down most of Puget Sound's coastal roads here. It might not be up there with today's sports cars like the Ferrari 488 and the Porsche 911, but it could hold its own well against vehicles around the category... Such as the Nissan GT-R.

That being said, I just think it's trying too hard as I think it's putting handling first. If you want to provide a vehicle with a spectacular driving pleasure, why not look at these two?

MOy38uNl.jpg

Having driven these two - especially with the 6-speed Manual (I love the rev-matching automatic, but I want one with a stick.) down a curvy road, this car knows you want to have fun and it'll provide you with that flawlessly.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in an '11 Chevy Cruze, 1.8T. It's nothing special, but at least it's a manual, so I can still shoot out in front of automatic sedans that cost three times as much at red lights. The first things I did after I got it were install aftermarket parking radar, new leather seats, and some decent tires. It's "nice" in every respect and I put a lot of love into it, but I can't help but think of it as an econobox.

If I go back to the US, where cars are reasonably priced, I have my heart set on a Camaro SS. A lot of people say the last couple years' models look a little bit like Hot Wheels, and everybody associates them with Transformers now, but I still really like them. Of course, I could compromise with a Mustang or even a late model Miata. I met a freak stroke of luck a couple years ago, and somehow got a free Mustang rental for two weeks from my insurance when my Honda Civic was in the shop. It was an automatic, but getting behind the wheel of that thing really gave me an appreciation for good handling, high-performance cars that I won't soon forget. The first time I ever got out of a speeding ticket was when a cop pulled me over in that thing, showed him the rental papers, explained the situation, and he laughed his ass off. To this day I can't believe that the rental company let me take it across state lines without paying any extra fees. I doubt I'd ever take one of these cars on the track, but it'd be the highlight of my future daily commute and an easy excuse for a lot of road trips.

More realistically, a new motorcycle might be somewhere not so far in my future. They don't call it the poor man's performance for nothing. But even though there's no snow or ice, it rains so much around these parts that riding really sucks half the time, and the winter chill and summer heat rapidly get to you on any journey of more than a few blocks. Also, Chinese drivers have absolutely zero respect for anyone on two wheels and lots of dangerous habits, most places have outright banned bikes, and they aren't even allowed on the freeways here. So while nothing is impossible, it's a real hassle to rely on a bike here or take it on a long trip, and you can't get real insurance outside of a few narrow situations.

I'm in an '11 Chevy Cruze, 1.8T. It's nothing special, but at least it's a manual, so I can still shoot out in front of automatic sedans that cost three times as much at red lights. The first things I did after I got it were install aftermarket parking radar, new leather seats, and some decent tires. It's "nice" in every respect and I put a lot of love into it, but I can't help but think of it as an econobox.

If I go back to the US, where cars are reasonably priced, I have my heart set on a Camaro SS. A lot of people say the last couple years' models look a little bit like Hot Wheels, and everybody associates them with Transformers now, but I still really like them. Of course, I could compromise with a Mustang or even a late model Miata. I met a freak stroke of luck a couple years ago, and somehow got a free Mustang rental for two weeks from my insurance when my Honda Civic was in the shop. It was an automatic, but getting behind the wheel of that thing really gave me an appreciation for good handling, high-performance cars that I won't soon forget. The first time I ever got out of a speeding ticket was when a cop pulled me over in that thing, showed him the rental papers, explained the situation, and he laughed his ass off. To this day I can't believe that the rental company let me take it across state lines without paying any extra fees. I doubt I'd ever take one of these cars on the track, but it'd be the highlight of my future daily commute and an easy excuse for a lot of road trips.

More realistically, a new motorcycle might be somewhere not so far in my future. They don't call it the poor man's performance for nothing. But even though there's no snow or ice, it rains so much around these parts that riding really sucks half the time, and the winter chill and summer heat rapidly get to you on any journey of more than a few blocks. Also, Chinese drivers have absolutely zero respect for anyone on two wheels and lots of dangerous habits, most places have outright banned bikes, and they aren't even allowed on the freeways here. So while nothing is impossible, it's a real hassle to rely on a bike here or take it on a long trip, and you can't get real insurance outside of a few narrow situations.

Hn, not a bad hatch, but you might want to be careful about launching your car - especially if it came with a stock clutch. I learned this the hard way after finding out the clutch in the family's '05 Legacy wagon was toast after some launches or so.

And I wouldn't really call the US being reasonably priced since dealer markups are a thing. I'm not trying to dissuade you, but you're going to be in for a rude awakening once you set foot into a dealership. That being said, I've known that a few marques on the market still rely on the idea that "what you see is what you pay" - meaning markups were rare-to-none. It's also the reason why I'm dead set on just getting a Scion FRS (Toyota FT86/GT86/86 depending on where you live. Curse you, Toyota!)/Subaru BRZ since it's the sort of "poor man's roadster" you can buy for cheap. It's not fast, but its handling prowess certainly put a smile on my face.

Jesus Christ, China sounds like a horrible place to live with a motorcycle. Then again, I'm selling my 919 since I feel like there's no more fun in riding the thing anymore, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ .