Did Any Characters Surprise You?

Oshimos

So, pretty much everyone had characters that they thought they liked or thought they'd use, or knew which characters were good and which were bad, but actually playing the game is a completely different story. So, did any characters surprise you, either gameplay-wise or even just personality-wise?

For me, it was definitely Benny. Pre-English release, I remember people going on about how Generals were bad and that Effie was so good that there was no reason to use Benoit ever, but the guy's an absolute beast. His defence is so overkill high that even after being Defence Sealed, he still only gets hit for sub-10 damage, and his pair up bonuses are godly to boot. I paired him up with Dread Fighter Selena and they legitimately solo half of maps while the rest of my army takes care of the rest.

Special mention goes to Ophelia because I was kind of ambivalent about her until I heard her voice and the fact that she's so softspoken while trying to shout ridiculous things just won me over immediately.

Azama is quickly rising through the ranks as one of my favorite characters. He's awesome. Who doesn't love a cynical, sarcastic, obnoxious, philosophical, atheistic, nihilistic priest (except for the people that don't)?

I agree. I thought Azama was going to be a laid-back, spacey characer, but I love how much of a troll he is.

I was surprised how good Setsuna is. She has enough speed to double almost everyone, and her strength combined with bows and Prescient Victory means she does a ton of damage. She's quietly becoming one of my MVPs, and I am someone who usually benches all archers instantly.

Yeah bow users are pretty good in Birthright since you don't get any worthwhile axe users until Scarlet. Setsuna got pretty good for me with minimal effort.

I beg to differ regarding club/axe users. Rinkah has been an excellent tank for me. I prefer not to use Scarlet as she seems blatantly overpowered.

Niles. I didn't realize how good of an archer he was, and he even has a high resist making him perfect for taking out mages when I need it. Personality wise I like that they toned him down a bit because it actually made me like the character because of his other aspects rather than him just being a freak. I thought his support was interesting with Azura, and am debating wether or not to have Azura s support him or Xander.

Unit wise, I'm really liking Hinata. He'll never be as good as Ryoma, but another dedicated sword user is good if your team has too many Lance/Shuriken users.

I beg to differ regarding club/axe users. Rinkah has been an excellent tank for me. I prefer not to use Scarlet as she seems blatantly overpowered.

Scarlet isn't even overpowered considering Malig Knights, Dark Knights and Bow Knights slaughter her.

Camilla. Thought I would just like her for her assets... one o fmy favorite characters. She's a likable Yandere-Deredere mix, which is rare. Usually only like Tsundere's.

Honika as well. I rarely like prepromotes or even characters which come in at high low levels, but loving pretty much every character.

Also, after being told about Joker's personality thought I would hate him, but I just get a Sebastian Michaelis vibe from him.

Oboro. I took Spear Fighter as my secondary, thinking I was going to marry Hana. Hana was disappointing in every way and fell off after chapter 8, but Oboro constantly destroyed everything. So I married her at the cost of my Avatar not getting any classes.

I can't believe I'm saying this, but ... Takumi.

Amazing in battle and I don't mind his personality when it's not being fired at Chisuzu (F!Corrin) or Azura. If he can warm up to either of them and grow as a character, he's gonna slide up the like list all the more. I didn't realize an important part of his character until I got him in Hoshido 10 and now I feel a bit more empathetic to some of his outbursts / poorly chosen words.

Jakob surprised me personality-wise. I wasn't sure I'd like him all that much, he didn't seem like my kind of character. But he's one of my favs now, as I feel like I relate to him a good bit. :3

Takumi surprised me as a unit. I'd heard he was good, but not that he was a freaking archery god! Damn, he one-shots nearly everything for me.

Oh, and then a strange surprise...from Ryoma of all people. Though it was more bad luck than anything. DUDE, WHAT THE HECK WERE YOU DOING TO ALMOST GET KILLED THE FIRST TIME I USE YOU AND BY HITS THAT HAD A LOW CHANCE OF LANDING? >_<

Edited by Anacybele

Went in mostly blind for most characters.

Wanted to try Takumi once I saw his bow. Then I Soon found out he was a powerhouse critting machine that paired well with Oboro.

Surprised that Ninjas had such high resistance, and that Kagero's str growth is amazing.

Edited by crazy_man