So what in fates is the most rage inducing for you (gameplay wise)

Locke087

Anybody have tips for Nohr 21? After 20, I thought the game would just have that as the infamous poorly-designed chapter.

But 21 has some stuff that gets me really salty. The problems are two skills: wary fighter and deadly breath. Wary fighter makes the Stoneborn stupidly hard to kill, and deadly breath just shreads through any and all tanking. What's the secret here?

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody have tips for Nohr 21? After 20, I thought the game would just have that as the infamous poorly-designed chapter.

But 21 has some stuff that gets me really salty. The problems are two skills: wary fighter and deadly breath. Wary fighter makes the Stoneborn stupidly hard to kill, and deadly breath just shreads through any and all tanking. What's the secret here?

I literally just fielded Corrin and Camilla, and had Camilla ferry Corrin from Dragon's vein to Dragon's vein to 4 turn it.

Edited by MCProductions

I literally just fielded Corrin and Camilla, and had Camilla ferry Corrin from Dragon's vein to Dragon's vein to 4 turn it.

That's... actually possible? I never even thought to try that. I even have an extra pair of boots that I could use if need be.

Guess I'll support grind up a paralogue for lost experience.

That's... actually possible? I never even thought to try that. I even have an extra pair of boots that I could use if need be.

Guess I'll support grind up a paralogue for lost experience.

Surprisingly enough, yes. I literally facepalmed when I realized that would work

When I was doing the paralogue:

*watches their movement pattern*

"Huh. So these villagers are actually smart and moving towards my units-"

*villagers line up on the first bridge in range of enemies*

"-oh YOU FOOLS!"

I hate the Ally AI for this game.

(Revelations spoiles)

Remember that Mokushu map in Revelations where Kaze, Reina and Orochi are NPCs? Well, Orochi has this tendency of attacking an enemy to the east that can easily 1RKO her if she doesn't dodge, and Reina attacks a vulnerable enemy even if it means approaching an enemy bow user that OHKOs her. Babying these units is the worst part of the map, although it isn't exactly hard - it's just annoying.

I'm playing Chapter 20 of Conquest and honestly, this chapter can go burn for all I care.

Keaton, Kaze and Selena are the only one left on the field...

If I have the time to play conquest lunatic again, I might indeed try a Great Knight Jakob strat; I've beat Ch. 10 while knocking down both Hinata and Oboro (otherwise things get too messy) and visited all 4 houses in my 3rd attempt (a random Umbrella I got from My Castle really helped with Silas with the weapon triangle RNG advantage with the archers), but couldn't dare get to Takumi with his Point Blank skill since Camilla was doing most of the retainer-killing but that wouldn't work for Takumi: hopefully Great Knight Jakob might be able to do this?. I do wonder though, whether it's possible to rout the entire map in Ch. 10 within 11 turns...? The last time I did my count was 10 enemies remaining (including Takumi) by the end of the map but reducing that to 0 seems like a legit challenge for me it seems... I guess tonics might help out here which is something I haven't tried before, although I would have to be careful not to raise DEF too high to alter the enemy AI (since they don't attack if they do 0 damage unless they have debuffs or skills like lunge)?

I feel like Ch. 10 Conquest Lunatic has just enough room to try different possibilities: it's quite early in the story so not too many free variable strats around, yet the tonics, mess hall, invasion 1, and maybe a child paralogue might be able to get units to do some impressive stuff (assuming not abusing Streetpass-related features).

Edited by Aggro Incarnate

It's remarkable how many of the tricky points in Conquest can be dealt with by Camilla one way or another.

That said, if you want to do 21 in a way that actually gets Exp, I recommend using the freeze points strategically: decide at the start of each player phase if you're going to activate this turn or not, then plan your positioning to keep squishier units out of stoneborn range accordingly, and/or decide to kill them accordingly. Yeah, you can't double them, but they still go down to magic reasonably quickly. Support attacks can help! Also watch out for which group of Faceless has which "Breaker" skill and plan accordingly.

I agree with Chapter 10 being great fun. Defence maps are some of my favourites (when they're not stupid and time-wasting like Sands of Time in FE7), and I really liked Conquest 10 in particular... it reminds me of Elincia's Gambit, another personal favourite; both throw waves of competent enemies at you from multiple fronts and encourage you to use your dancer to refresh the more powerful units and get them to wherever the trouble points are. Then Conquest 10 has that beautiful twist in the middle...

Although I do feel like its difficulty is a touch overstated. It's tougher than 9 or 11, sure, but not that much, I didn't think. I see the point about 11 being "choose the right person to position to deal with each room", but still each room presents its own little puzzle, and I'm not ashamed to admit I screwed a couple of them up my first time.

Although I do feel like its difficulty is a touch overstated. It's tougher than 9 or 11, sure, but not that much, I didn't think. I see the point about 11 being "choose the right person to position to deal with each room", but still each room presents its own little puzzle, and I'm not ashamed to admit I screwed a couple of them up my first time.

I can sympathize with this sentiment, though I feel that these maps come with very different flavours of difficulty. Chapters 9 and 11 plays like a booby-trap elimination mission in that it can be turtled to progress very carefully. (As an aside: the middle room reminds me of in Ch. 11 reminds me of the throne area of Mystery of the Emblem Ch. 6) Chapter 10 however has a turn limit, so it doesn't have quite the same 'remove these obstacles before progressing' feel that Chs. 9 and 11 does. Instead it plays more like an 'offense is the best defense' mission: assuming one places units for efficient killing while at the same time keeping oneself safe, as long as one is conservative enough to not get anyone killed, but bold enough to eliminate enough enemies to prevent getting surrounded fro mall sides in turns 9-11, it's not over-the-top difficult to defend for 11 turns. But this requires some understanding of enemy behaviour through turn progression, and because of the enemies flowing in it can't be turtled in the way other 2 chaptes can. For someone who plays FE very conservatively, I do feel that Ch. 10 would come by as being more difficult than 9 or 11.

Edited by Aggro Incarnate

Chapter 11 was one of my favorite maps, such a great design, with each room having a theme to it, and splitting your forces up until the end. It was just a really fun map. Same with 23 and 22. They were both really well designed maps.

The fact that Lilith hasn't gained a single stat point in her last... 20 levels or so? if that counts.

I'm playing Chapter 20 of Conquest and honestly, this chapter can go burn for all I care.

Keaton, Kaze and Selena are the only one left on the field...

This was also awful. Clearing chapters 20 and 21 with just the Avatar and Camilla put my units too far behind to catch up, so I ended up running the rest of the game with my avatar and his wife. (this was on Normal, mind.)

I loved this chapter it was fun, the real secret is to not field everyone make sure everyone that is, is either on horseback or paired with someone on horseback and have two Flyers to kill the stoneborn... Though this map is a puzzle so it alway depends on your team.

I can sympathize with this sentiment, though I feel that these maps come with very different flavours of difficulty. Chapters 9 and 11 plays like a booby-trap elimination mission in that it can be turtled to progress very carefully. (As an aside: the middle room reminds me of in Ch. 11 reminds me of the throne area of Mystery of the Emblem Ch. 6) Chapter 10 however has a turn limit, so it doesn't have quite the same 'remove these obstacles before progressing' feel that Chs. 9 and 11 does. Instead it plays more like an 'offense is the best defense' mission: assuming one places units for efficient killing while at the same time keeping oneself safe, as long as one is conservative enough to not get anyone killed, but bold enough to eliminate enough enemies to prevent getting surrounded fro mall sides in turns 9-11, it's not over-the-top difficult to defend for 11 turns. But this requires some understanding of enemy behaviour through turn progression, and because of the enemies flowing in it can't be turtled in the way other 2 chaptes can. For someone who plays FE very conservatively, I do feel that Ch. 10 would come by as being more difficult than 9 or 11.

Good point; I think this is very true. I should note that I have a rather aggressive playstyle compared to some people, so that probably colours my opinions.

It's the most fun I've had with video games in a while. I just re-played it actually and only lost Nyx and Severa on the first try who I hadn't planned on using anyway, so I count that as a win. I normally don't like resetting just because I made a strategic mistake.

It's like playing the timed missions in Warcraft III for the first time again, so maybe I'm a bit biased due to nostalgia.

warcraft 3 huh? that takes me back! annoying things about this game for me I just did chapter 17 of conquest which was really annoying chapter 5 on lunatic and the villagers in sophie's paralogue oh and also archer's in general.

Edited by goldenlance7

It's the most fun I've had with video games in a while. I just re-played it actually and only lost Nyx and Severa on the first try who I hadn't planned on using anyway, so I count that as a win. I normally don't like resetting just because I made a strategic mistake.

It's like playing the timed missions in Warcraft III for the first time again, so maybe I'm a bit biased due to nostalgia.

Honestly, I thought the level was actually really well thought out and enjoyably hectic until the Dragon's Vein event happened. Then it basically became "dash back to the exit and turtle and hope none of your units die," or at least that's how I was able to handle it.

Chapter 20 made me slightly rage-y. Fuga was nowhere near as obnoxious as Kotaro as some people were nice enough to let me know, and I got lucky with Xander landing a 9% crit with 51% accuracy, which wiped him out. Getting to Fuga was the hard part. I feel like the wind didn't even make any sense at times. Isn't it only supposed to move you five spaces, and then to the closest empty space if it blows you ever a gap? I swear it sent my Effie sailing past the empty space she should have landed on after the gap just so she'd end up stranded above a batch of enemies. Ugh. Getting the treasure on the far right was also a pain. Those stupid Kinshi Knights only like to attack you after you confront the lancers and get defense sealed. I managed, though.

Chapter 21, though, ugh... I honestly don't blame people for cheesing the level by deploying only like, two people and flying from dragon vein to dragon vein. The faceless in this level give you nice experience... until you start getting overwhelmed by the ones that give you absolutely nothing, and soon you're just getting chip-damaged to death from Savage Blow and Grisly Wound. It was hard to even bring out my healers thanks to the ridiculous range of the Stoneborn. One shot from even the weak ones would kill Elise. I eventually just got fed up with being forced to hold a chokepoint against endless reinforcements with Xander and flew Arthur up to nail the Stoneborn with his 87% crit chance. What a pain in the ass level if you're actually trying to do it the "standard" way.

The moronic villagers in Sophie's paralogue. Ohh man. I had to unleash Ryoma and Takumi on the chokepoints to stop them from blundering right into berserkers with silver axes and all sorts of fun stuff.

Oh god, those villagers made me so mad. The AI in this game is sooooooo dumb.

Chapter 20 made me slightly rage-y. Fuga was nowhere near as obnoxious as Kotaro as some people were nice enough to let me know, and I got lucky with Xander landing a 9% crit with 51% accuracy, which wiped him out. Getting to Fuga was the hard part. I feel like the wind didn't even make any sense at times. Isn't it only supposed to move you five spaces, and then to the closest empty space if it blows you ever a gap? I swear it sent my Effie sailing past the empty space she should have landed on after the gap just so she'd end up stranded above a batch of enemies. Ugh. Getting the treasure on the far right was also a pain. Those stupid Kinshi Knights only like to attack you after you confront the lancers and get defense sealed. I managed, though.

Chapter 21, though, ugh... I honestly don't blame people for cheesing the level by deploying only like, two people and flying from dragon vein to dragon vein. The faceless in this level give you nice experience... until you start getting overwhelmed by the ones that give you absolutely nothing, and soon you're just getting chip-damaged to death from Savage Blow and Grisly Wound. It was hard to even bring out my healers thanks to the ridiculous range of the Stoneborn. One shot from even the weak ones would kill Elise. I eventually just got fed up with being forced to hold a chokepoint against endless reinforcements with Xander and flew Arthur up to nail the Stoneborn with his 87% crit chance. What a pain in the ass level if you're actually trying to do it the "standard" way.

Ch:20 You can just get to fuga on turn one in chapter 20 via a wind boosted rescueshelter chain, orko him and seize out of there if you want but the chests are really good. The wind is a set pattern and will follow spacing rules but it takes some getting used to. Once you do its a really cool pace based map.
Edited by joshcja

Ch:20 You can just get to fuga on turn one in chapter 20 via a wind boosted rescueshelter chain, orko him and seize out of there if you want but the chests are really good. The wind is a set pattern and will follow spacing rules but it takes some getting used to. Once you do its a really cool pace based map.

Yeah, it's not too hard to cheese chapters 20 and 21, but I'd really hate to skip out on all the exp and treasures!

To be honest, all of my RAGE has come from Conquest (though despite that, I do think Conquest is more fun and rewarding). Birthright's been cake through chapter 22.

Generally skills that clearly have annoying benefits for the enemy and minuscule effects for your characters, i.e. lunge, counter, life and death, etc. A hypothetical skill that takes this to the extreme would be something like Selfdestruct - Def -5, but deals 35 damage to whoever killed this character. Something that would be a nightmare to deal with but have virtually no effect for the player, in classic anyway. I'm pretty early into Conquest, please don't tell me there is something like this later on...

There's some nifty applications for Lunge, and if you play at eclipse-speed (read: slower that Niime wielding Alondite), you can turn it to your advantage.

Now that I'm on Conquest, my pet peeve is a lack of funds. . .but I blame my avid shopping while out and about.