New Nintendo 3DS XL help?

bowfanatic

So, I bought the Fates edition of the New Nintendo 3DS XL. I was really liking it at first, but when I turned on my 3DS (my older, midnight purple one) I was looking at the two and felt that the graphics on the New XL looked kind of blurry? Plus, I feel that the colors look better on the older model; to me, the colors look brighter, as opposed to the New XL. I guess I'm asking if others feel this way, or if the blurriness/color thing is 'normal'?

While I'm at it, I should ask about the issue of game 'transferring"-- since I started playing Fates on the New XL, would there be a problem if I decided to play it on the old 3DS? I have two different Ninendo Network I.D.'s for the systems, because I was planning on keeping both consoles for later things like trading Pokemon from different games. I'm thinking now I should keep just one console...

and while I'm at it, anyone here want a FE:Fates Edition of the New 3DS XL? :P

The XL models still use the same screen resolution as the old model, which is really low. All they did was blow up the image to fit the screen size, so the colors get a litlle weird in the process for some reason.

It's better to merge everything into a main machine that is your primary and then reset the other system. Switching machines for all your purchases would be a bit of a pain.

As for blurriness, the resolution of the XL screen is the same as the old 3DS but with fatter pixels. It will be blurrier unfortunately. However the brightness is dimmer because the default lighting for the backlight is set to auto adjust for power saving. There's a wrench icon in the top left of the main screen to adjust brightness settings.

Edited by Samias

Yup, as Samias said, you should be able to up the brightness in the settings! I've had some issues where my screen would dim or get brighter because it detected light/shade, which is a bit annoying since I only really play indoors... So I switched my brightness.

If I'm not mistaken, the way Nintendo is going with the new 3DS, each game is linked to the device or Nintendo ID. As soon as I got my new 3ds XL I transferred everything from my old one wirelessly (it took a couple of hours...) and wiped the old device. I like all of my stuff on a single platform, but if you have two separate IDs it might be ok? Nintendo.com has some good tutorials and FAQs about device compatibility and transfer.

So, I bought the Fates edition of the New Nintendo 3DS XL. I was really liking it at first, but when I turned on my 3DS (my older, midnight purple one) I was looking at the two and felt that the graphics on the New XL looked kind of blurry? Plus, I feel that the colors look better on the older model; to me, the colors look brighter, as opposed to the New XL. I guess I'm asking if others feel this way, or if the blurriness/color thing is 'normal'?

While I'm at it, I should ask about the issue of game 'transferring"-- since I started playing Fates on the New XL, would there be a problem if I decided to play it on the old 3DS? I have two different Ninendo Network I.D.'s for the systems, because I was planning on keeping both consoles for later things like trading Pokemon from different games. I'm thinking now I should keep just one console...

and while I'm at it, anyone here want a FE:Fates Edition of the New 3DS XL? :P

I remember my first XL (Fates n3ds is my main 3DS now) in comparison to my old 3DS. It's really weird! It's so huge, but yeah the resolution of the screens are quite the same.

Is the game downloaded or is it a physical copy? As far as I know you can't transfer from one nnid to another?...

Anyways, I suggest you keep the Fates N3DS. It's pretty nice looking, plus it's new. Has that built in amiibo support as well because it's the N3DS and all. (I prefer using the n3ds over the NFC reader for amiibo.)

EDIT: Also, the 3D on the N3DS is so much superior like how could you give that up >.>

Edited by Jin

i prefer the standard new 3DS over the XL personally

not really a fan

but the new 3DS has faster load times and games that have slow down problems... frame skip, etc... the new 3DS fixes those problems like Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS has problems with lag on the original 3DS

smash bros loads very quickly on the new 3DS as well

and i love xenoblade chronicles on the system as well

but id advise doing a system transfer....

The XL models still use the same screen resolution as the old model, which is really low. All they did was blow up the image to fit the screen size, so the colors get a litlle weird in the process for some reason.

oh, I see! I was wondering why it was like that...I wish they could just use a better resolution for the XL but I understand why they keep it the same as the regular 3DS

It's better to merge everything into a main machine that is your primary and then reset the other system. Switching machines for all your purchases would be a bit of a pain.

As for blurriness, the resolution of the XL screen is the same as the old 3DS but with fatter pixels. It will be blurrier unfortunately. However the brightness is dimmer because the default lighting for the backlight is set to auto adjust for power saving. There's a wrench icon in the top left of the main screen to adjust brightness settings.

I totally understand, which is why I started thinking I made the wrong decision about making another Nintendo Network I.D. (part of the reason I did that was because my other one has my real name, but I'm not comfortable with using that online anymore)

As for the color, I actually already have auto-brightness off; it was so annoying! Either way, the colors are definitely different; the whites aren't as bright, but darker colors look richer.

Yup, as Samias said, you should be able to up the brightness in the settings! I've had some issues where my screen would dim or get brighter because it detected light/shade, which is a bit annoying since I only really play indoors... So I switched my brightness.

If I'm not mistaken, the way Nintendo is going with the new 3DS, each game is linked to the device or Nintendo ID. As soon as I got my new 3ds XL I transferred everything from my old one wirelessly (it took a couple of hours...) and wiped the old device. I like all of my stuff on a single platform, but if you have two separate IDs it might be ok? Nintendo.com has some good tutorials and FAQs about device compatibility and transfer.

oh no, that's no good. I actually looked up what I'd have to do if I wanted to transfer my old 3DS stuff to my new one, and I'd have to reset the New 3DS to factory settings or something; it's on these two pages:

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/620

http://en-americas-support.nintendo.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/166

I remember my first XL (Fates n3ds is my main 3DS now) in comparison to my old 3DS. It's really weird! It's so huge, but yeah the resolution of the screens are quite the same.

Is the game downloaded or is it a physical copy? As far as I know you can't transfer from one nnid to another?...

Anyways, I suggest you keep the Fates N3DS. It's pretty nice looking, plus it's new. Has that built in amiibo support as well because it's the N3DS and all. (I prefer using the n3ds over the NFC reader for amiibo.)

EDIT: Also, the 3D on the N3DS is so much superior like how could you give that up >.>

omg I know, the New XL is so much bigger!

thanks for the advice! I actually don't use the 3D that much because it kinda hurts my eyes/makes me a little sick (didn't really want a 2DS though, just because it looked a bit bulky), but the improved 3D is nice on the XL.

i prefer the standard new 3DS over the XL personally

not really a fan

but the new 3DS has faster load times and games that have slow down problems... frame skip, etc... the new 3DS fixes those problems like Tales of the Abyss on the 3DS has problems with lag on the original 3DS

smash bros loads very quickly on the new 3DS as well

and i love xenoblade chronicles on the system as well

but id advise doing a system transfer....

I was thinking about getting the standard at first, especially since the Pokemon one is coming out soon, because I thought I wouldn't be able to reach the ZR and ZL buttons on the back; it ended up not being a huge problem for my small hands! Plus, I usually prefer matte finishes over glossy.

that's very true! I've noticed my old 3DS is getting SO slow.

Everyone, thank you so much for your help! I'm thinking about transferring my old data to my new 3DS now, but we'll see how it works out; if it ends up being too much of a hassle, I will probably just leave my 3DS' as they are. Again, thank you guys so much! c:

Edited by bowfanatic