Opinion on M/M and F/F Options

Aestury

I have a feeling this might cause an argument but I am curious. From what I have seen unless the person is planning to marry one of the two they despise them. From one side Niles is sadistic while Rhajat is just stalkish like Tharja. I know they kinda toned down Niles sadistic personality in the localization, but Rhajat also suffered from being more stalkerish than her Japanese personality.

I am sure I have a little bias for why I would like the Same-sex options, but I do feel like there were other characters that deserve the roll more. Is there a reason why IS would make these characters like this? I am not trying to pull the IS is homophobic and making gay characters evil (God tumblr) but I would want to know whats everyone's thinking on the bisexual characters.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmm.. I feel like Silas would qualify as a great same sex option... I can it happening, they are childhood best buds! The room for gay stuff is just waiting to happen.

As for IS making the characters who can support gay marriage the way they are.. I honestly think they just choose what they thought was right. But no idea for sure.

I personally like both the options.

Edited by Jin

Hmm.. I feel like Silas would qualify as a great same sex option... I can it happening, they are childhood best buds! The room for gay stuff is just waiting to happen.

As for IS making the characters who can support gay marriage the way they are.. I honestly think they just choose what they thought was right. But no idea for sure.

I personally like both the options.

I see a lot of room with making characters like Silas being bisexual, I mean having a neutral bisexual character would be cool and wouldn't force you into a path so you could be with a character you like.

I am gay myself and I do like Niles. Especially in the localized version where his creepiness is toned down. Rhajat was an awful choice imo, she shouldn't have been the sole f/f choice.

However these characters are problematic because they're both kind of psycho. Niles is a sadist and Rhajat is a creepy stalker. Those being the only gay options is kind of a turn off and I know a lot of other LGBT people feel the same way.

It especially doesn't make sense to me that they didn't make Silas and Soleil same sex romance options, they make a lot sense and aren't problematic characters. If the same sex options were Niles, Silas, Soleil and Rhajat I think that would've been a perfect balance and we'd have a gay and lesbian option in all versions of the game.

This is Nintendo's first time even tackling this so I'm not surprised that it isn't perfect, I'm glad that they have gay marriage in the first place but I hope they learn from this and expand.

Edited by Mutant615

Yeah, they really dropped the ball having the character whose quirk boils down to "likes girls" not be the lesbian option. Like, I get that they already had their single gay dude option in that route, but still, it kind of sucks. Plus, Rhajat is... suboptimal in a lot of ways.

I think the only reason I like Niles is probably because of the fact that he's the only gay option and therefore it was wither like him or be overly upset about how things turned out, but also, he's not really that great of a character. Also, not to rag on the localization because I think it was great, but when they toned him down, they kind of made him... boring? Like, there's not really a lot to him, as a character.

Also, I've definitely yelled "Why aren't you the gay option!" at at least three characters because I really like a lot of the dudes and I'm a little salty that i've got to play as a girl to romance any of them.

Edited by Oshimos

Yeah, they really dropped the ball having the character whose quirk boils down to "likes girls" not be the lesbian option. Like, I get that they already had their single gay dude option in that route, but still, it kind of sucks. Plus, Rhajat is... suboptimal in a lot of ways.

I think the only reason I like Niles is probably because of the fact that he's the only gay option and therefore it was wither like him or be overly upset about how things turned out, but also, he's not really that great of a character. Also, not to rag on the localization because I think it was great, but when they toned him down, they kind of made him... boring? Like, there's not really a lot to him, as a character.

Also, I've definitely yelled "Why aren't you the gay option!" at at least three characters because I really like a lot of the dudes and I'm a little salty that i've got to play as a girl to romance any of them.

Niles character seems more promiscuous, but in all honesty it really does kinda feel...flat? Also every time I invite Keaton to my room I wonder why the hell he isn't the bisexual option, I almost screamed it during the end of Soleil's paralogue (there is nothing platonic about her liking that girl)

Rhajat I can understand because Tharja was incredibly popular in Japan and thus IntSys was capitalizing on a pre-established fanbase. I don't agree with the changes they made to her romantic support with F!Kamui, but I can still see why she was picked.

Niles I can only speculate about given that he's a new character not based on any pre-existing ones, but given that he hits a lot of points for the fujoshi fanbase in both looks and personality he was probably designed more for that crowd.

This is just an observation, but it does seem like that they, in addition to the reasons above, picked the two characters who seem to have the least regard for what society at large thinks about them. But that's probably just me overthinking things.

But yeah, I think there are better choices for M/M and F/F options: Azura, Silas, Soleil, Kaze, Jakob and Felicia. Mostly the already extremely loyal characters (sans Azura and Soleil).

meanwhile, Benny is the almost ideal choice for fans of Bara like myself, but he's unobtainable.

ofcourse i think they picked the choices solely because they were the most 'yaoi and yaoi fanboy/girl bait" and not for any actual homosexual's.

Yup! Benny is the only guy that I find attractive, but then again I only find Bara-ish men attractive. They could have easily put an S support on him and it would have made sense, he's adorable too.

I guess I'll just do it like Awakening where I paired my avatar up with Walhart and pretend he loved me. :P

Hacking is an option that I'm looking into, there's already a WIP hack that expands the S supports to everyone and even gives the Corrinsexuals more supports.

meanwhile, Benny is the almost ideal choice for fans of Bara like myself, but he's unobtainable.

Yup! Benny is the only guy that I find attractive, but then again I only find Bara-ish men attractive. They could have easily put an S support on him and it would have made sense, he's adorable too.

I guess I'll just do it like Awakening where I paired my avatar up with Walhart and pretend he loved me. :P

I'm glad I'm not the only Benny fan around here. He's easily the best guy in the game, bar none.

ofcourse i think they picked the choices solely because they were the most 'yaoi and yaoi fanboy/girl bait" and not for any actual homosexual's.

The fact that Benny isn't a bisexual option kills me, I feel like the only person who thinks hes really cute (bara is my weakness) and his support is great too. Ill just do the same thing I did with Keaton and have to imagine A support means S support.

Also theres a lot of speculation over the fact that the gay characters were more targeted for the opposite-sex, yaoi girls. But at least its there though so who can complain much.

I (woman) like Niles as a character. I can't speak as a man other then having seen other boys who really like Niles. However I can say I wish the roster of same sex could have been expanded more then it is now.

also mild surprise so many guys like benny... it's a nice surprise though

None of the same-sex options were there to be "inclusive" (or SJW pandering). They were there for the Yaoi and Yuri crowds.

Citation needed. Nintendo says otherwise actually. It's just that Japan's only mainstream frame of reference to LGBT people comes from Yaoi/Yuri. Early depictions of LGBT characters in Western media were based off of popular tropes and stereotypes as well, it took years to have more realistic LGBT characters/relationships depicted in mainstream media and we're still not fully there yet and I don't think any Japanese developer will be anytime soon either, but at least they're trying which is the important first step. But the option was added most likely because A) the tomodotchi life backlash and B) lots of people wanted same sex romance in Awakening. I think people overestimate how big the yaoi/Yuri crowd is.

Yeah, I have no idea why Silas isn't the bisexual option. He became a knight to see Corrin again, even if Corrin's a male. That screams gay to me, but whatever.

I haven't played Conquest yet (Chapter 22 on Birthright), so I don't how well-written Niles is. I'm alright with him, though I would have preferred Silas for sure.

I'll experience his Male S Support on my Revelation route play through.

Rhajat is pretty much Yandere Simulator 2016. I have a lesbian friend who expressed her anger with Rhajat being the only lesbian option.

Edited by Leif

I have all sorts of thoughts and feelings about them, but I've written like a book's worth of posts about them on various places so I've pretty much said all I could about them in the past haha But to keep it brief, as a lesbian I was super bummed they didn't give us a new character. Niles' supports from what I've seen thus far have been pretty fun, but I'll probably never go for Rhajat ever. I would be content if they gave us another option besides a clone.

Edited by angienessyo

Soleil is an obvious choice for Femui but I think Camilla is also hinted at being bisexual.

I suppose ideally you could have gay people in the setting that are not exclusively interested in the Avatar. Is Shara bisexual or Kamui-sexual?

This is what I think. Niles is a perfect match for yaoi fans, being the sexually aggressive bishonen.

While the choice of characters can be questionable, I'm more annoyed by the facts that

1. There's no gay option in Hoshido and lesbian option in Nohr (besides if we had 1 of each gender on both routes, we could marry them in Relevation)

2. The only lesbian option is a child character (I have personal bias against marrying them). And while Soleil being the Nohrian lesbian option would make a lot of sense, it wouldn't fix this problem for me.

But yes, I do find the characters picked as same-sex option to have some problematic "LGBT=crazy" implication, though I doubt that was the intention. Rhajat more than Niles based on what I've heard about localization. Also, avoiding that on Nohr... Would be kind of difficult.

About the characters mentioned in this thread: Soleil would have been an obvious choice (despite that point 2 I made earlier), and Silas would definitely make sense. Benny sounds like and interesting option, and maybe Camilla as well.

I'm not sure who in Hoshido would work though. Orochi or Setsuna? Tsubaki? Hinata?

Or go 1 gay and 1 lesbian choice who appear on both routes, aka Silas and Felicia?

It does seem they just picked the biggest freaks in the army and called it a day when they were coming up with same sex pairings.

I'm somewhat surprised Camilla didn't get the part. She is directly stated to like strong woman and she repeatedly calls her retainers cute or adorable.

Or Selena who already had a brief little interest in Kjelle and who was quite interested in a swimsuit wearing Camilla.

Is all you people do is complain? Hmm if anything Forrest and Soleil make more sense for the same sex options. Or they could have been extra ones.

I am perfectly happy with Forrest not being an option he's just more yaoi fangirl bait.

Is all you people do is complain? Hmm if anything Forrest and Soleil make more sense for the same sex options. Or they could have been extra ones.

You're at a forum solely dedicated to discussing Fire Emblem Fates, so chances are you'll see both a lot of praise and hate of the game, since the game contains a lot of good and bad. It's entirely possible to criticize or dislike parts of something while still enjoying it as a whole. Calling out people trying to have a discussion is not constructive in any way.