Petition For Japanese Voice Acting In The Localized Game

Ovesen324

As you probably already know the newest Fire Emblem game, Fire Emblem Fates, is missing an important function and that function being an option for duel audio.

This may sound a little biased but the reason why I want the japanese voice acting to be in fates is honestly because the english voice acting sucks. I could spend all day ranting about how the localized voice acting is horrible but instead watch the comparison above to see for yourself.

The previous Fire Emblem game, Awakening, included pretty good voice acting in japanese and in english. Even though the game probably didn't need it, Awakening included duel audio so western audiences could experience the original voice overs. This was a great decision by Nintendo, it allowed fans to make the choice of what voice acting they wanted to listen to while harming nor upsetting no one.

Including Dual audio isn't that hard of a task for Nintendo, actually it's quite easy come to think of it. Join me and the thousands of other Fire Emblem fans out there and together lets make dual audio for the latest fire emblem game a reality. IT'S OUR FATE!!!

Thank You,
ありがとう

Sign the petition at change.org: https://www.change.org/p/nintendo-fire-emblem-fates-dual-audio-option-japanese-english

Edited by Ovesen324

It's got good english voice acting. I MIGHT sign it. But I keep hoping they will patch it one of these days.

Sounds good, I don't want Nintendo to take the english voice acting out of the game, NOT AT ALL, I only want an option for the original (japanese) voice acting so anyone has the option to decide what they want to listen to.

You'd have a better chance of funding a Kickstarter to pay off the licensing fees. This ain't gonna do a thing.

True but someone needs to do something and with enough support the odds are in our favor.

Believe it or not, Treehouse and NoA didn't take out Dual Audio because they sat around in a room and thought "How shall we fuck with the FE Fanbase today? I was thinking of going to the houses and pissing in their fridges personally, but cutting dual audio will have to do." No, the most likely reason is because of licensing issues.

VA and music licensing tends to be much more draconian in Japan than it is in the West, with some contracts being so restrictive that the VA/Singers work can't be used at all outside of Japan. The problem likely lies with Renka's agencies, since Hitori Omou is her debut single and therefore of considerable importance to her career. If you want Dual Audio in Fates, they'd have to redub Renka's singing at the very least, which isn't going to happen. They'd likely need permission to redub Hitori Omou, which the agencies almost definitely wouldn't allow and they'd very likely be able to sue Nintendo if they didn't get permission. They'd also have to find and pay another singer to redub the song, with no guarantee that their agencies wouldn't want their performers work being used outside of Japan. Of course, this is assuming that it's only Renka's work that can't be used outside of Japan. For all we know, half the cast has similar clauses in their contracts, so you'd have to pay VA's to redub them as well.

Edited by Phillius

Believe it or not, Treehouse and NoA didn't take out Dual Audio because they sat around in a room and thought "How shall we fuck with the FE Fanbase today? I was thinking of going to the houses and pissing in their fridges personally, but cutting dual audio will have to do." No, the most likely reason is because of licensing issues.

VA and music licensing tends to be much more draconian in Japan than it is in the West, with some contracts being so restrictive that the VA/Singers work can't be used at all outside of Japan. The problem likely lies with Renka's agencies, since Hitori Omou is her debut single and therefore of considerable importance to her career. If you want Dual Audio in Fates, they'd have to redub Renka's singing at the very least, which isn't going to happen. They'd likely need permission to redub Hitori Omou, which the agencies almost definitely wouldn't allow and they'd very likely be able to sue Nintendo if they didn't get permission. They'd also have to find and pay another singer to redub the song, with no guarantee that their agencies wouldn't want their performers work being used outside of Japan. Of course, this is assuming that it's only Renka's work that can't be used outside of Japan. For all we know, half the cast has similar clauses in their contracts, so you'd have to pay VA's to redub them as well.

Whats the case with Awakening then, is it because it didn't have any singing, if so thats pretty stupid.

Whats the case with Awakening then, is it because it didn't have any singing, if so thats pretty stupid.

Awakening didn't have a professional and contracted singer perform the main song of the game. All the songs in Awakening would've been made by IS, while Hitori Omou was most likely commissioned/outsourced work to whoever Renka's agencies and it's almost definitely those same agencies that legally own the song. Nintendo would've had permission to use the song overseas as a dub, but they wouldn't have had permission to use Renka's voice. It's not as simple as petitioning Nintendo to include it; you'd have to convince Renka's agencies to allow her work to be used outside of Japan (which again, isn't very likely because licensing is much stricter over there), because if Nintendo tries to redub the song without permission, they're gonna get sued.

I'd also like to point out that neither of the Tellius games had dual audio either, so it's not like Dual Audio has been an ever-present an integral feature of the FE franchise.

Edited by Phillius

Awakening didn't have a professional and contracted singer perform the main song of the game. All the songs in Awakening would've been made by IS, while Hitori Omou was most likely commissioned/outsourced work to whoever Renka's agencies and it's almost definitely those same agencies that legally own the song. Nintendo would've had permission to use the song overseas as a dub, but they wouldn't have had permission to use Renka's voice. It's not as simple as petitioning Nintendo to include it; you'd have to convince Renka's agencies to allow her work to be used outside of Japan (which again, isn't very likely because licensing is much stricter over there), because if Nintendo tries to redub the song without permission, they're gonna get sued.

I'd also like to point out that neither of the Tellius games had dual audio either, so it's not like Dual Audio has been an ever-present an integral feature of the FE franchise.

Well That Still Sucks, Thanks for the explanation though

if dual audio was doable, it would already be in the game. noa aren't idiots. they know dual audio is a thing people like, both in fe13 and in general. its absence from fe14 is almost guaranteed to be a matter of technical or licensing necessity. if it didn't happen at launch, it's not happening, period

if dual audio was doable, it would already be in the game. noa aren't idiots. they know dual audio is a thing people like, both in fe13 and in general. its absence from fe14 is almost guaranteed to be a matter of technical or licensing necessity. if it didn't happen at launch, it's not happening, period

NoA aren't idiots but they do sometimes make bad decisions as we can see in other localization "fixes" in fates

NoA aren't idiots but they do sometimes make bad decisions as we can see in other localization "fixes" in fates

What, that they did their job and removed some really sketchy shit? Hell, I'm glad they did their job. I respect that kind of professionalism.

This is (and your previous one was) a good and cool effort post, thank you!

I think it's not the licensing, but I'm not sure. INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS is both the composer and lyric writer, and the song itself is copyrighted to Nintendo and INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS. Unless there is anything special that they didn't mention, I think IS is free to use the song however they want.

One reason I suspect it's not present is because dual audio was bugged in Awakening. They probably don't want to mess that one up again.Not including dual audio is also easier, because they don't have to make one more menu item and a whole bunch of if statements. It's not a lot of work, but it's still some programming and testing effort that they may want to avoid.

What, that they did their job and removed some really sketchy shit? Hell, I'm glad they did their job. I respect that kind of professionalism.

I think you may be ignorant to some of the unanimously agreed upon bad localization decisions that have nothing to do with being pc or whatever you're talking about.

It's going to take thousands of signatures for nintendo do even bat an eyelash. It would be nice of them if they just came out and confirmed the issue with licensing theory. That won't happen. People seem to think this is the only possibility though. It could that because the jap version included more lewd dialogue, they would hesitate to have that in and later be discovered. There's a reason they removed it in the first place. It could be that treehouse just didn't feel like putting in a bit more work, and thought of awakening as an exception to the rule that won't happen again. They don't want to set a standard. That's less likely, but very possible.

I think it's not the licensing, but I'm not sure. INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS is both the composer and lyric writer, and the song itself is copyrighted to Nintendo and INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS. Unless there is anything special that they didn't mention, I think IS is free to use the song however they want.

Why did the song get a CD release then? That doesn't seem like something IS or Nintendo would do. The most likely scenario is that Renka's agencies were contacted by IS or Nintendo and asked to write and produce a song for them, but they have quite a bit of licensing rights to the song (if they don't outright own it) and get to dictate how it will be used to a degree. Most of this probably would've been worked out ahead of time though, so make of that what you will.

This has a farts' chance in the wind of working, for reasons Phillius already stated. Licensing done screwed it over.

Not to mention that if it is a problem with the people Renka works for, the fact that they don't want her work used outside of Japan is pretty conclusive proof that they don't care what we think. Even if the signature got one million people on board, they wouldn't give a shit because they' only care about the local market.

Edited by Phillius

Kind of ironic when you think about it. They're strict when it comes to music, yet when fanartists sell doujinshi, they don't really care. Granted, doujins apparently help the industry. But,still, it seems pretty ironic considering an entire event that's basically about selling derivative works is held twice a year in a country with said draconian policies.

Though for the fun of it, I decided to see what VAs were used to see if any were a potential cause for this.

Jakob is voiced by the guy who did Archer in the Fate series.

FeCorrin is voiced by Ritsu Tainka from K-on

Kaze is voiced by Sebastian from Black Butler

Ryoma is voiced by Terumi from Blazblue

Hinoka is Nunally from Code Geass

Takumi is Eren Yeager

Rinka is Mikasa Ackerman

Xander is freaking Kamina

Leon is Light Yagami

So yeah, there are some pretty well known VAs involved, and about a 1/5th or so of the cast are big names VAs.

There have been petitions aimed at Nintendo using change.org . I don't recall a single one that has actually worked at all. Don't get your hopes up. If a miracle can happen, I can expect dual audio to be a paid DLC feature considering the licensing involved.

Besides, NoA/Treehouse never bothered to fix any of the bugs (Streetpass team and voice language) present in the North American version of Fire Emblem Awakening even though Awakening came after the patching system was released.

Edited by Roflolxp54

Why did the song get a CD release then? That doesn't seem like something IS or Nintendo would do. The most likely scenario is that Renka's agencies were contacted by IS or Nintendo and asked to write and produce a song for them, but they have quite a bit of licensing rights to the song (if they don't outright own it) and get to dictate how it will be used to a degree. Most of this probably would've been worked out ahead of time though, so make of that what you will.

http://pikmin.wikia.com/wiki/Ai_no_Uta_(Single)

Not the first time Nintendo music gets a CD. Of course, it's not really the same case here, but still.

Music owned by someone else can still be published. It may not be owned by Renka's agency (last I checked it's just Nintendo and IS, but feel free to correct me), but it's still a song she sung.

EDIT: Also, the song itself really was written by INTELLIGENT SYSTEMS.

http://www.utamap.com/showkasi.php?surl=k-150701-229

Edited by nocturnal YL

http://pikmin.wikia.com/wiki/Ai_no_Uta_(Single)

Not the first time Nintendo music gets a CD. Of course, it's not really the same case here, but still.

Music owned by someone else can still be published. It may not be owned by Renka's agency (or it may be, but last I checked it's just Nintendo and IS), but it's still a song she sung.

Well colour me surprised.

Okay, I'll concede that it's not a given that Renka's agencies own the song, but that or there being a clause in Renka's contract that her work can't be used outside Japan are the most likely scenarios for no dual audio.

EDIT: Also, that song was released in 2001. That's 14-15 years ago, so I'd bet the way those agencies do business had likely changed over the years.

Edited by Phillius

EDIT: Also, that song was released in 2001. That's 14-15 years ago, so I'd bet the way those agencies do business had likely changed over the years.

No, its not. Look at another more recent song page. It's the same. That copyright is for the site.