Comparisons please.

Ok so i'm going to do a hard mode run, and wanted to use certain characters. but I want to know the pros and cons of using one character over another so uh yeah.

Tormod or Illyana (I'm using Soren already, and just wanted to use 2 mages. I dont care if I have to baby Tormod, I am completely ok with that)

Nephenee or Gatrie (i'm using gatrie reguardless)

Makalov and Kieran, or Oscar and Kieran (i am using astrid reguardless)

Boyd or Largo

Marcia, Jill or both?

should I use Boyd?

Should I use a laguz? if so, who? (not including Reyson, as I am using him reguardless)

Boyd is probably the best foot unit in the game. Definitely worth using. Largo isn't bad by any means but he only comes at the end of the game.

In terms of stats, the mages are not too different from each other but Tormod has an edge over the other ones because of his skill that gives him +2 movement.

All the Cavaliers are worth using. Although Makalov struggles a little due to his low starting level and because he starts out with swords. Otherwise, they are extremely similar.

Use both Marcia and Jill. They are awesome.

As for the Laguz, Lethe is neat since she transforms on the first turn and has good speed. Mordecai has Smite and the Con to use it effectively. The hawks seem pretty weak considering how late they come into the game. But all the Laguz except for Reyson have trouble keeping up at the end. They essentially end up being mere mediocre units, except they are also limited by their transformation gauge. So I would say that they are only really worth using early in the game while their stats are still superior to most enemies.

Edited by BrightBow

It's been forever since I played this game, so take these with a grain of salt.

Tormod vs Ilyana - Ilyana has a significant availability lead and isn't tough to train at all. She'll be at worst a little under-leveled. Tormod has better stats on the whole (more physically durable with higher speed and similar magic and luck), and biggest celerity. If you're willing to baby, Tormod would probably be the better unit after investment.

Nephenee vs Gatrie - Gatrie has better physical durability and similar magic durability and better damage per hit. Neph starts a little under-leveled, but doesn't need a monopoly on the Knight Ward to be able to consistently double after some training. I'd say Neph since I like to spread the KW around, but I don't know if she's good enough to warrant a spot on your team if you don't have extra room and are set on using Gatrie.

Mak vs Kieran - Kieran's better because he comes earlier, starts with a better weapon, and has comparable stats. That's all there is to it in a direct comparison. However, as BrightBow said, both are great units and Mak is probably worth the investment, which isn't exactly much. He has arguably the best stat spread of any of the paladins and swordlock isn't an issue after he promotes.

Boyd vs Largo - Boyd by a mile. They have fairly similar stats except for def and res which Boyd wins, and Boyd's around way longer. Largo's basically a filler unit, and he's not a bad one, but he's nothing special.

Marcia and Jill. Two of the best units in the game.

Laguz - None are really good enough to warrant longterm use. Lethe and Mordecai can have some early game utility, since they're basically prepromotes, and from the looks of it Ranulf has the best stats overall, though not exactly by leaps and bounds. Nasir is probably worth using since he comes premade and is required, but he's only around for one chapter.

Edited by bottlegnomes