Hoshido Who are the strongest/best characters to level up

Jamin724

Hello, I am completely new to FE and would like some advice. I have spent hours thinking of what would be the best team for hoshido (see image attached) to play this game on hard/classic mode. I am playing birthright so I have the chance to grind as this is my first game so I would like the option. After doing hours of research I have read that some characters/children are completely worthless which threw all my research out the window. I am looking for 4-6 attackers 1-2 defense characters and 2 magic users. I am about to loose my mind over this so any help will be appreciated. Thanks

post-21759-0-34111900-1456432968_thumb.jpg

Edited by Jamin724

I'd honestly say that a full team would be encouraged since the new exp formula is stricter on higher level units. That said, I'd recommend Sakura because healer, at least.

EDIT: And I'd personally recommend Felicia for debuff utility and healing.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Ryoma and Takumi definitely. They wreck everything. I think Hana is good for her class, she's really fast and has decent strength. Give her an armorslayer too. Helps feed her more kills early on. Hinoka seems good. Subaki is okay, I think he kinda got stat-screwed in my file. He got a lot of bad level ups for me. So I dunno about him.

For magic users, I recommend Orochi and Sakura. They both get really good magic stats. Orochi is kind of slow, but it doesn't matter when she can one-shot a lot of low-res enemies. And Hayato requires babying anyway.

And if you're using a female Corrin, Jakob is valuable.

Ryoma and Takumi definitely. They wreck everything. I think Hana is good for her class, she's really fast and has decent strength. Give her an armorslayer too. Helps feed her more kills early on. Hinoka seems good. Subaki is okay, I think he kinda got stat-screwed in my file. He got a lot of bad level ups for me. So I dunno about him.

For magic users, I recommend Orochi and Sakura. They both get really good magic stats. Orochi is kind of slow, but it doesn't matter when she can one-shot a lot of low-res enemies. And Hayato requires babying anyway.

And if you're using a female Corrin, Jakob is valuable.

Are any of the kids good? Also I read orochi is weak but again I have no proof just what I read.

Are any of the kids good? Also I read orochi is weak but again I have no proof just what I read.

Contrary to what you've been reading, Orochi is very strong in terms of Magic: http://fireemblemwiki.org/wiki/Orochi

If you look at her growth rates, she has an impressive 80% Magic growth.

I can't say what kids are good for sure, since I haven't gotten to that point yet.

Silas seems to be a tank to me. He has high strength and defense. He also has decent speed.

Subaki seems to be rather tanky for a Peg/Sky Knight too, though I still think he's gotten kinda screwed for me.

Re: the kids, a lot of it depends on who their second parent is, since part of the formula for determining their actual growths is their second parent's base growths. For example, Kiragi on my run has better Growths in some of his stats (Strength, Speed, Defense) than Takumi because Oboro is his mother. Similarly, my Rhajat has a 70% Magic growth because Sakura is her mother.

If you're just playing hard you don't need a whole lot of planning, but if you're not confident in yourself take a Female Avatar, Jakob makes starting out easier. Azura gets free experience from singing, Sakura makes a perfectly acceptable secondary healer. I prefer Hayato to Orochi for my mage, his personal skill and higher speed sells him for me despite his low starting level (which his personal helps him level). Takumi is usable right when you get him as is Oboro. Again you really don't need a plan but in order of how you get them:

Corrin (can be defensive)

Jakob (utility/debuff)/ If female Corrin

Sakura (utility)

Kaze (anti-magic/debuffer)

Azura (utility, but decent enough if you keep up with her weapon level)

Silas (All around, but a little slow)

Hinoka (Defensive/All around)

Hayato (Magic Damage, needs a little leveling, low survivability decent speed and damage, IMO easier to use than Orochi simply for the speed)

Oboro (Defensive-ish, debuff)

Takumi (Useable from start Archer, good exclusive weapon)

Ryoma (Duh)

Really depends on your RNG too.

Edited by Dwlr

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Dread Fighter Azama destroys all. He might start with all E weapon ranks, but that don't stop the Troll Train. While the Ninja Bros could arguably be better, Azama is pretty much a waste of space as a Priest and Takumi outclasses him as a Bow unit. You literally cannot lose anything by doing this.

Also if you are going with Fighter Corrin, I'd suggest switching to Hero for a final class for Yato access. If you didn't know, it upgrades as the story progresses, eventually winding up with sky-high Mt, +4 Str and Spd (alongside normal Katana effect of +1 Spd -1 Def/Res), and it partially negates a really annoying skill that the final boss has.

For me, I find Oboro good as a tank right now, I'm playing in Hard mode, and a lot of enemies hardly damage her... The promoted Wolfskin do 0 damage to her... Of course I already promoted her and I have her in a Pair up with Takumi, but she can take lot of hits without the Pair up too, I don't know if that will continue like that in future chapters, but she has been my tank since she joined

And by personal experience, Kagero do a good job in the fights too

Edited by SniperGYS

Honestly, nearly everyone is viable, and its hard to screw up in birthright. I played lunatic and still I leveled too many units and ended up benching some low level promoted units for deployment slots but my units were still strong enough to clear. For a vague guideline, kamui, ryoma, takumi, sakura, and your first servant are valuable in any run. I cant agree with your statement that some characters are worthless, at least not in birthright. There are units such as setsuna that are outclassed by a similar unit, but are still very capable on their own. I used Hana, who most consider trash in lunatic despite obviously not being as broken as ryoma or Swordmaster!Corrin. Was she outdone? Yes, but she certainly wasn't useless as some profess - this is without massive favoritism, grinding, or stat booster spam, by the way. Sure ryoma does her job better, but he can't be everywhere at once. While I sent off ryoma to solo the enemy's 1-2 ranges, Hana could do her own thing elsewhere, ripping apart berserkers when Ryoma's not nearby. I also used orochi, who is also considered pretty bad compared to some powerhouses, but she also put in work as a attack stance nuke and staff bot once she promoted.

Edited by shed

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Dread Fighter Azama destroys all. He might start with all E weapon ranks, but that don't stop the Troll Train. While the Ninja Bros could arguably be better, Azama is pretty much a waste of space as a Priest and Takumi outclasses him as a Bow unit. You literally cannot lose anything by doing this.

Also if you are going with Fighter Corrin, I'd suggest switching to Hero for a final class for Yato access. If you didn't know, it upgrades as the story progresses, eventually winding up with sky-high Mt, +4 Str and Spd (alongside normal Katana effect of +1 Spd -1 Def/Res), and it partially negates a really annoying skill that the final boss has.

Except you don't need to be able to use Yato to get the benefits and a Beserker with the +Str and the high Str caps work fine and while it's Mt is good compared to non-forged weapons it pales to many forged ones.

Edited by Dwlr

When does one even use Dread Scroll on a Unit? Do you treat it like a Master Seal and wait until 20 for maximum stat gain or do you use it right away?

Subaki is very good as a support unit. You get a Rally Bot, Staff user and a tank all in one unit. He's not very good at killing things so it's recommended you keep him in Attack Stance.

Saizo has the best defense out of the three ninjas you get. With a Barb Shuriken and an offensive proc, he'll have combat rivaling Ryoma's.

Oboro has great all around stats and will be a solid unit.

There's a lot of good units in Birthright so just experiment and find out who works for you.

Azama is criminally underrated, his low magic means nothing because HP is so low in general that he doesn't need much mag to heal well, and on promotion he becomes an instant offensive and defensive monster, probably the best tank in Hoshido

Edited by General Banzai

Subaki is very good as a support unit. You get a Rally Bot, Staff user and a tank all in one unit. He's not very good at killing things so it's recommended you keep him in Attack Stance.

Except Subaki's magic is so crappy that he can hardly heal any HP. He's best used as just a plain tank and a finisher (meaning he can finish off guys you've weakened easily enough), simple as that. Hinoka is a much better flying staff user than he is.

Another great option for a tank is Scarlet, although she will want an Angelic Robe. I was also very impressed with both Izana and especially Yukimura, although they join a bit later they're both very strong. I didn't train either Diviner, though, so I don't know how they compare to Izana, but Yukimura is the bee's knees one you get him. They're both also very useful for cutting through all of the enemy armored units the game throws at you later on, plus Izana has a decent staff rank and Yukimura is basically two units in one once he learns Replicate.

Except Subaki's magic is so crappy that he can hardly heal any HP. He's best used as just a plain tank and a finisher (meaning he can finish off guys you've weakened easily enough), simple as that. Hinoka is a much better flying staff user than he is.

You don't need magic to use Rescue. It has a set distance.

When does one even use Dread Scroll on a Unit? Do you treat it like a Master Seal and wait until 20 for maximum stat gain or do you use it right away?

It's a special class, so go nuts. (Read: Immediately)

Corrin, Ryoma, Takumi, Hinoka, Sakura, Saizo, Kagero, Oboro, Azama, Kaden, Mozu, Jakob (Defensive w/ Corrin)

If I had room, Felicia would be a back-up staff user. These were my most freqently used units in Lunatic no-grind (feed kills to Mozu @ Para 1)

Ninja debuffs are super good. Dread Fighter Azama is sweet. Jakob's personal skill is amazing.