Hoshido Who are the strongest/best characters to level up

Jamin724

Speaking of Mozu, what makes her useful unlike Donnel was? Her bases are awful despite the fact she can reclass immediately.

In Conquest (where she REALLY shines), she is the only Sniper. In Revelations and Birthright, the stat caps aren't as high as in Awakening so the extra growths are very nice plus she doesn't fall as behind as Donnel does. Archer gives an ability like Aggressor (+4 Damage). Silas is really good as well.

Donnel didn't 'fall behind' in Awakening, if you get him out of Villager he actually snowballs pretty well. His problem was his awful start. Mozu seems to have the same problem, because her bases as an Archer are not very impressive. On paper at least (I admit I haven't tried to use her yet personally), she looks to be just as awful as other early-joining Archers like Wolt, Dorothy, Rebecca, Wil, Neimi etc.

Azama is criminally underrated, his low magic means nothing because HP is so low in general that he doesn't need much mag to heal well, and on promotion he becomes an instant offensive and defensive monster, probably the best tank in Hoshido

I dunno about that... I've seen a lot of horror stories about weapon rank in this game...

Donnel didn't 'fall behind' in Awakening, if you get him out of Villager he actually snowballs pretty well. His problem was his awful start. Mozu seems to have the same problem, because her bases as an Archer are not very impressive. On paper at least (I admit I haven't tried to use her yet personally), she looks to be just as awful as other early-joining Archers like Wolt, Dorothy, Rebecca, Wil, Neimi etc.

Another big problem is his weapon ranks - I find it hard to see him as "snowballing pretty well" when even after getting out of Villager, I still can't be impressed because he has to fight his way out of bronze lock AGAIN at a point when everyone's got the rank for Steel...

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Another big problem is his weapon ranks - I find it hard to see him as "snowballing pretty well" when even after getting out of Villager, I still can't be impressed because he has to fight his way out of bronze lock AGAIN at a point when everyone's got the rank for Steel...

True, but by this point his strength should be high enough that he can start doing decent damage even with a Bronze Sword/Axe. In addition, if you've bothered getting him far enough to get out of Villager he is possibly the number one candidate that will see the most improvement out of an Arms Scroll (I think you get two of them pretty early, but it could just be one until Valm, I don't remember). If you go Fighter this also gives him access to 1-2 range, which also helps.

I'm not trying to say Donnel is good or anything, mind you. However, I do have to admit that he performs pretty well once he can get into a real class.

True, but by this point his strength should be high enough that he can start doing decent damage even with a Bronze Sword/Axe. In addition, if you've bothered getting him far enough to get out of Villager he is possibly the number one candidate that will see the most improvement out of an Arms Scroll (I think you get two of them pretty early, but it could just be one until Valm, I don't remember). If you go Fighter this also gives him access to 1-2 range, which also helps.

I'm not trying to say Donnel is good or anything, mind you. However, I do have to admit that he performs pretty well once he can get into a real class.

THAT'S the part I see as a kick in the nuts, though - he takes all that effort, just to fail to stand out... Also, there are like only two Arms Scrolls in the game discounting the children's paralogues (and the first one isn't until near the end of the first arc anyhow).

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

THAT'S the part I see as a kick in the nuts, though - he takes all that effort, just to fail to stand out... Also, there are like only two Arms Scrolls in the game discounting paralogues.

I'm not denying Donnel's awful. However, being locked to Bronze Weaponry after class changing is the least of his worries. THAT, at least, is easily fixable/worked around.

Anyway, to get back on topic, at least Mozu has the option to go Dread Fighter or Dark Falcon immediately for some stats. I'm not sure either option is particularly useful on Birthright, however, since you already have Ninjas, Samurai and Pegasus Knights who will all outclass her right away.

20/1 Azama with Bronze Naginata is still a better offensive unit than most in Hoshido. And he's probably the game's best recipient of an Arms Scroll anyway.

I can attest to this.

My Great Master!Azama and Great Lord!Azura do more damage with Brass weapons than most of my characters lol

20/1 Azama with Bronze Naginata is still a better offensive unit than most in Hoshido. And he's probably the game's best recipient of an Arms Scroll anyway.

'cept he doesn't need it.

I promoted Azama a bit early (level 18), and he was able to wreck everything short of endgame. Once he hit C lances, it was Bolt Naginata time, which meant that if he ran into a physically tanky unit, he could still ruin their day.

If you want an absolute tank, that's Rinkah with an Angelic Robe/Orochi (depending on what you're trying to tank). Azama does nicely when he needs to absorb absolute damage, but stuff that deals percentage-based damage (LIKE NINJAS) will whittle him down in a hurry.

As for absolute offense, the default princes win, hands-down. Azama doesn't out-damage them (but then again, neither does anyone else).

'cept he doesn't need it.

I promoted Azama a bit early (level 18), and he was able to wreck everything short of endgame. Once he hit C lances, it was Bolt Naginata time, which meant that if he ran into a physically tanky unit, he could still ruin their day.

If you want an absolute tank, that's Rinkah with an Angelic Robe/Orochi (depending on what you're trying to tank). Azama does nicely when he needs to absorb absolute damage, but stuff that deals percentage-based damage (LIKE NINJAS) will whittle him down in a hurry.

As for absolute offense, the default princes win, hands-down. Azama doesn't out-damage them (but then again, neither does anyone else).

Rinkah's non-defensive stats are so pathetic that even including her in the discussion of viable units seems wrong. Somehow she's not only slow but weak too? What?

Azama's best attribute as a tank is his extremely high HP. Couple it with his high defense AND resistance and he's the best unit by far to fling into a mob of enemies and come out unscathed. Yeah, there are individual units who have singularly higher defense or resistance stats than him, but Azama excels at being good at everything. He exceeds even Oboro at being good at every stat. The fact that people not only seem to ignore his abilities but actually think he's some kind of garbage unit baffles my mind. I don't really see a reason not to use him as your primary healer instead of Sakura.

Edited by General Banzai

Rinkah's non-defensive stats are so pathetic that even including her in the discussion of viable units seems wrong. Somehow she's not only slow but weak too? What?

Azama's best attribute as a tank is his extremely high HP. Couple it with his high defense AND resistance and he's the best unit by far to fling into a mob of enemies and come out unscathed. Yeah, there are individual units who have singularly higher defense or resistance stats than him, but Azama excels at being good at everything. He exceeds even Oboro at being good at every stat. The fact that people not only seem to ignore his abilities but actually think he's some kind of garbage unit baffles my mind. I don't really see a reason not to use him as your primary healer instead of Sakura.

Rinkah was able to kill stuff on my run, but that might be due to the fact that I paired her up with Silas. I promoted her into whichever class gives her magic, and while she won't be ORKOing everything in sight, she works well enough as a physical wall, once she gets that scroll that gives Spd/Def/Res +3. Also, Hammers allow her to ORKO armored units. This was on Hard, so YMMV.

Azama's defenses are relatively high on promotion, but as the game goes on, he'll start to fall behind. Perhaps I got an insanely blessed Orochi, but there is no way in hell Azama would be able to touch her 28 RES when all was said and done. Best healer, though, was Jakob for me - because of his other weapon, he wanted to be 3 spaces away from multiple enemy units. Which I was more than happy to oblige him with. Second-best healer was Mitama. . .because Azama was too busy killing things.

Edited by eclipse

Rinkah was able to kill stuff on my run, but that might be due to the fact that I paired her up with Silas. I promoted her into whichever class gives her magic, and while she won't be ORKOing everything in sight, she works well enough as a physical wall, once she gets that scroll that gives Spd/Def/Res +3. Also, Hammers allow her to ORKO armored units. This was on Hard, so YMMV.

Azama's defenses are relatively high on promotion, but as the game goes on, he'll start to fall behind. Perhaps I got an insanely blessed Orochi, but there is no way in hell Azama would be able to touch her 28 RES when all was said and done. Best healer, though, was Jakob for me - because of his other weapon, he wanted to be 3 spaces away from multiple enemy units. Which I was more than happy to oblige him with. Second-best healer was Mitama. . .because Azama was too busy killing things.

Orochi is by far the best restank, but it's rare you'll be in a situation where you only need to worry about a magic user attacking you. I got Felicia instead of Jakob, but I agree on Mitama being a great dedicated healer.

Orochi is by far the best restank, but it's rare you'll be in a situation where you only need to worry about a magic user attacking you. I got Felicia instead of Jakob, but I agree on Mitama being a great dedicated healer.

There's a couple of spots where Orochi's extra RES was the difference between making a level doable and making it needlessly hard. Yes, she was slow, but so was just about every other mage.

Like one of the Iago levels, which spammed magic like no one's business. I also used her as bait for tome-wielding Malig Knights.

Felicia's actually a lot better at healing than Jakob, but won't really shine until she gets a Flame Shuriken. Mitama's great because she can go into Onmyoji and be useful in it - and since she'll inherit some of Azama's other good points (HP, Speed), she'll outclass Orochi.

Also Rinkah's not really that slow, no, tonic her out of bases hell and she'll be fast enough and stay fast enough. I personally love Berserker Rinkah (up HP, Str, Spd significantly, Def takes a slight beating but it's not like she doesn't have a shitton anyway so then you end up with a Rinkah with actually really high HP and still good def and good offense too) but that does take a Corn in Birthright. A resource I'm 300% willing to give.

For me the ultimate restank was Dread Fighter Kaze. Kaze already has naturally good res, but then Dread Fighter bases/growths/skills add on to that, and he's the guy I toss at large groups of magic users (16 and 24 immediately comes to mind, but also significant parts of 23 as well) and then I laugh at all the poor dead mages that never stood a chance.

Spear Master Hinoka was my best mixed tank, though. Spear Master boosts her defense significantly and her res is always pretty good and slap guard Naginata on to that and she's set. With Speed Seal and Defense Seal, she may not be able to counter the mages, but she'll take no damage and put them into oneshotting territory the next turn, which is also pretty great. I just really love Spear Master. Used 3.

On the topic of high Res, you can add Hinoka and Kaden to the list. They both have really high Res (but on the other hand really low Def), and since they do physical damage they make great mage killers. And if you pair them up... there's not a magic user in the game that can break through that wall.

Also of course seconding Orochi and Felicia with Flame Shuriken. But not Sakura, interestingly enough. Her Res is not bad, but she would not be my unit of choice for fighting magic users.

To note: Hinoka only has bad defense if she stays in Peg. Granted, flying utility is pretty good so that's a valid option, but the alternate, Spear Master, gives her a very hefty defensive boost and is a pretty legit option if you find yourself in need of a mixed-defenses tank. She also has one of the higher HP stats especially for female units not named Charlotte, being a royal.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Oboro comes to mind for another high(ish)-defense unit--also with Guard Naginata. She can't run mixed as well as Hinoka and has lower HP, but on average her def should be a bit higher, even both as Spear Masters.

As for Gen2, Shiro I found (mine was mothered by Oboro since i just wanna get skills if I'm gonna screw up my pairings anyway) to be very tanky and good. I paired him with Kana since I want him to access the Berserker skills from Corn's genes to save for later, and Kana gives him even more defense in Hoshido Noble, anyway. I think the highest I remember seeing his defense was 41 after a number of boosts.

Tsubaki and Hinata both have tanky growths, but they want to stick to high speed classes so their offense stays relevant, if they are to be used. Saizo is also pretty durable--though I trained him as Dark Flier->Onmyoji so I'd imagine that didn't help his defense much--although he can take a hit or two with Horse God. I kinda wanna try Oni Chieftain Saizo sometimes.

Edited by Thor Odinson

• 2 months later...

Any recommendations on tanks? That seems to be the hardest for birthright.

U said tanks? In Birthright game, u cant recruit any Knights. So during a mission, when you have Orochi on your team, keep in mind she has the Capture Skill (Capture an enemy unit, to bribe/recruit later in your castle). When you pass by a Knight with good stats, make sure Orochi can finish the Knight off. Instead of Killing him, Select Capture. Capture the Knight, then grind-train the Knight from Challenges, and any DLC missions you bought. (DLC missions are replayable) I havent played all the DLC missions, but from what I know, Boo Camp is great to help train and level up your characters.

P.S. (my own personal opinion, you dont have to listen to it) Dont bother capturing more than 1 character, because

1. They have no Support Connections

2. Having more than 1 would steal away exp gain-leveling, compared to the captured character being an actual, REAL storyline-based/support character

On the bright side capturing helps get you get classes you dont have in your team, maybe a bit useful for those playing lunatic to help fill in slots for characters that have died throughout the storyline.