Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

Ah.

Well, I guess this finally shuts the door on any possibility that these games may have once been Plus and Minus. No grass/electric palm tree, no water/steel tear drop thing, no fire/fairy bike monster... no Slowking statue mimicking the Dahli Lama one.

Just because one reputable source says something doesn't make it true... at least it made me excited for 7th gen when 6th gen was barely out of the gate.

I just reread the interview, and to be fair, what he said was that he wanted the Pokemon designs of Gen 7 to more simple.

They weren't exactly working on the actual Gen 7 games by then, but it seems that they already were planning the designs of Gen 7's Pokemon.

Edited by Water Mage

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My friend, you understimated the internet and paid the price.

Let us postpone our duel. I want to face you at your strongest, and right now, you need to rest. Your mind is at a broken state at the moment.

Seriously though, it's impressive that there's even fanart at all.

Actually, I remember that when X and Y were first released, Ken Sugimori gave an interview and said that they were already working on Gen 7 back in 2013.

Ha! You're just trying to trick me into...into...damnit I concede the point. I shall postpone for now.

I just reread the interview, and to be fair, what he said was that he wanted the Pokemon designs of Gen 7 to more simple.

They weren't exactly working on the actual Gen 7 games by then, but it seems that they already were planning the designs of Gen 7's Pokemon.

Oh thank god. For a while it's been a growing concern of mine that pokemon designs have been growing overly complex. Good to see this generation should deal with that a bit.

I'm still going to chose Popplio! Water types are my favorites, and if Popplio has a circus theme, I'm hoping it's final evloution will be some sort of badass sea lion magician!

Your post made me think that maybe GF will do something similar with these starters as to what they did with the X/Y ones. In the 6th gen, the starters followed the RPG archetypes of Warrior, Wizard and Thief. Maybe this time around, they decided to base them around circus/performers.

Rowlet's bowtie could potentially hint to a magician

Popplio's white snout, pink round nose and collar seems to mimic the traditional Clown attire.

Litten could maybe be for the fire breathers.

The animals they chosen are also animals seen in shows. Popplio is base on sea lion, litten, a tiger and owls are sometimes used in falconry shows.

Perhaps a bit of a stretch, but I wanted to share it.

I know Gen 6's 3 starters were based on the 3 RPG archetypes of The Fighter, Thief and Mage

I'll be curious to see where 7's inspiration was from

I know Gen 6's 3 starters were based on the 3 RPG archetypes of The Fighter, Thief and Mage

I'll be curious to see where 7's inspiration was from

It looks like the region is based on Hawaii and the starters are all cute. Ergo, they are based on Kawaii.

I'm planning on getting Sun and I love cats and fire types, so Litten is a no-brainer for me.

Am I the only one who mentally thinks "Sailor Moon", when they hear people say "Sun and Moon"?

Edited by Rezzy

Two very small chances my dear! Very small! While I have an entire ocean at my beck and call!

Anyway, that's why I think people will like Popplio's evolutions.

Remember that people mocked Oshawott and Froakie, but later loved their evolutions. While Samurrot and Greninja are cool, maybe people's low expectations played a part in it? There wasn't a lot fanart of Oshawott and Froakie when they where forst revealed, but look at them now!

Maybe the same thing will happen to Popplio. People already have low expectations for it, while they have very high expectations for Rowlet and Litten. So the same thing could happen again.

I really hope Popplio (and Litten and Rowlet) evolves into something cool, I remember volunteering in an art class at an elementary school and Oshawott/Samurott was very unpopular. Every kid loved Serperior instead. Then they found Serperior wasn't very strong, so they ended up liking none of the starters and gravitated towards Pokemon like Deerling. Anecdotal, I know, but generally speaking it feels like people were just iffy on Samurott's odd quadraped design, child and adult alike. Likewise, Fennekin is cute but so many people dislike Delphox, so I never see much of it anymore.

On the other hand many people were lukewarm on Froakie, saw the evolution, then understood the concept and began to enjoy the design more. However Chesnaught and Delphox fell in popularity drastically from being not as cool in the face of a very cool and unique and competitively strong Pokemon. I think it's much easier for Pokemon to overcome a weak first evolution than a weak 3rd evolution and no one really cares about the in between. Like the Froakie situation, in gen 4 people made fun of Chimchar for having a fire butt until it became fiery Sun Wukong with insane speed and power.

This time it seems like the theme may be about animal showmanship for the starters. Kind of a weird concept.

I love that little cat fire starter, Litten. Im the sucker for fire types and its cute! That damn owl sphere is really adorable too. As for the game, i might actually get one because these starters appeal to me. Plus, i would like to play with my niece who would definitely get one of these games. So which ever one she gets, ill get the opposite of. No idea which that would be. I like the idea of the Moon Bat thing, but Sun looks cool too. I dunno. Tbh i dont usually get hyped about Pokemon games, but this one seems to be gaining my interest.

This is the first gen where I'm indifferent to every starter, but I'm not judging too hard until we see evolutions.

Legendaries confirm Sun for me. Something about the Moon one looks off to me, I think it follows the crescent shape too closely. The lion is pretty cool and basically a perfect fit.

What got me most excited this time around wasn't the pokemon, but everything else. The game looks great and the return of customization is an instant +50 from me.

Wait, trainer customization is back? *skimmed through topic up to this point AND didn't look through in detail until now*

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

OH MY GOSH! CLIPSEY IS HYPE~!

Anyway, there's only one starter I'm interested in.

This one.

I have no idea what a cat is doing in that mix, and that seal tried, but I didn't get monk seal vibes from it.

Also, the new region looks vaguely like Oahu, tilted 45 degrees or so (big-ass crater really reminds me of Diamond Head).

EDIT: I expect to see a fish with an insanely long name, at least one goose, and a boar. Or clipsey will be disappoint.

Edited by eclipse

OH MY GOSH! CLIPSEY IS HYPE~!

Anyway, there's only one starter I'm interested in.

This one.

I have no idea what a cat is doing in that mix, and that seal tried, but I didn't get monk seal vibes from it.

Also, the new region looks vaguely like Oahu, tilted 45 degrees or so (big-ass crater really reminds me of Diamond Head).

EDIT: I expect to see a fish with an insanely long name, at least one goose, and a boar. Or clipsey will be disappoint.

Oh hey we got the Hawaii expert here to save the day, what type of geese live around there?

Also I'm only a little sad that we may not get a wolf pokemon finally because i'm fairly sure Wolves aren't really natural to Oahu, but what do I know :P:

Oh hey we got the Hawaii expert here to save the day, what type of geese live around there?

Also I'm only a little sad that we may not get a wolf pokemon finally because i'm fairly sure Wolves aren't really natural to Oahu, but what do I know :P:

Reference:

Fish with a really long name

A goose

I couldn't find a recipe calling for the entire pig, so this will have to do

I was thinking, a lot of cities in Kalos appeared to have real world counterparts, for example, Anistar and Strasbourg, Snowbelle and Besançon, Shalour and Saint-Malo.

Of course this isn't confirmed, but it's interesting.

Hey eclipse, since you live in Hawaii, what sort places and cities in Hawaii would be interesting to appear in Sun and Moon? Is there any place you want to appear?

And I just remembered, since this region appears to tropical, I wonder if there will be few Ice-type Pokemon in this Gen.

Then again, they did place a desert with ancient ruins just north of New York, there's nothing stopping them for putting a snowy tundra in Hawaii.

Eclipse, are that any places in Hawaii that could have Ice-types?

Sorry if I'm bothering you, but I'm just really curious to hear the opinion of someone who lives there. Must be an interesting feeling to have a region in Pokemon based on where you live.

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2016/05/someone_has_made_a_rowlet_pokemon_plush_already

Welp, that was quick. What a dapper little bird, indeed.

Can you blame them?

By the way, here's some more cute Rowlet stuff:

dee.gif

Source: 144178066269/remember-visit-my-patreon-d-diives-patreon-diives (the link might not work)

Isn't impressive that there's already animation of it?

More cute Rowlet fanart:

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Rowlet-resting-608237263

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Rowlet-608191665

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Rowlet-608191985

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Rowlet-608312750

http://www.deviantart.com/art/smol-rowlet-608208668

And another Dapper Rowlet:

http://www.deviantart.com/art/Rowlet-608242110

Are these fanarts getting annoying? Or are you guys enjoying them? What do you guys think of the pictures?

Let me know, so I could find more or stop posting them. And will credit the source, don't worry.

Are these fanarts getting annoying? Or are you guys enjoying them? What do you guys think of the pictures?

Let me know, so I could find more or stop posting them. And will credit the source, don't worry.

If you want to keep posting them, then by all means keep posting them.

And we all know the GTS is just about always full of crap. xP

I've found that the best way to get what you want is to actually follow their example. GTS is full of crap, but they still end up getting what they want in the end. It's kinda impressive, actually.

Watching Gamexplain's analysis:

-Meowth and a wailmer watering can are briefly shown in what's presumably the trainers house. Hopefully this doesn't confirm a stupidly large pokedex filled with old pokemon overshadowing the new ones (a la X and Y), but I'm officially worried now.

-TheJwit- Kukui has a ring on his finger. Whether that means anything can't be said right now.

-Main professor is named Hala (may have been mentioned earlier)

-The presumed rival has a similiar hair style to Hala; grandson, maybe?

-The Japanese trailer gives us a better look at the island; only two pokemon centers can be made out, basically confirming that there's much, much more to the Alola region.

That's all, really; there's just a bunch of theorycrafting and old news elsewhere in the video.

Choosing skin tones(4 this time) and two different shirts were shown.

One of the guys has that smug smile omfg

I think it's the preview for the third option? If he smiles like that all the time I'm definitely picking him.

Looking at the map of the region, you can only see 3 Pokemon Centers: one in the Honolulu City, one across the road from the blue roof building in the south, and one on the north end.

This seems to be the first time since Route 9 that PokeCenters aren't tied to cities. But why would there be so few of them?

Looking at the map of the region, you can only see 3 Pokemon Centers: one in the Honolulu City, one across the road from the blue roof building in the south, and one on the north end.

This seems to be the first time since Route 9 that PokeCenters aren't tied to cities. But why would there be so few of them?

Well, the island is small; there's almost certainly more islands in the region.