Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

What.

Just what.

Stealth Rock is ridiculously powerful for an entry hazard. The ability to chop off up to half of an opposing Pokémon's health the instant they switch in is incredible. Rapid spin is really weak, and Defog is a double edged sword because it also removes the entry hazards you set.

There's a reason that the move is a meme.

It's also ridiculously widespread.

This post said everything I would have and more. Agreed 100%.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Stealth Rock is so great, then where is it in the modern metagame?

http://www.smogon.com/dex/xy/formats/ou/

There are a lot of Pokemon who exist to Spin/Defog here. Tornadus, Zapdos, Starmie, Excadrill, and probably a few more. Those Pokemon are quite viable.

Admittedly, I was under the assumption that Cloyster and Tentacruel were still OU. what happened lol

If they have to spin or defog to get rid of it in the first place that means it has to be prevalent.

There's no other reason to use those moves beyond getting rid of SR/Spikes/TS/etc., especially Rapid Spin.

Edited by Toyosatomimi no Miko

If they have to spin or defog to get rid of it in the first place that means it has to be prevalent.There's no other reason to use those moves, especially Rapid Spin.

Sticky Web, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes are just as bad though. That's what I'm trying to say.

Stealth Rock is on a few Pokemon's sets. Heatran, Garchomp, etc. But that doesn't make it bad.

Excadrill is great and has a spot on pretty much every team. And it is immune to Toxic Spikes. It resists SR and Spikes. Why not just carry an Excadrill?

Sticky Web, Spikes, and Toxic Spikes are just as bad though. That's what I'm trying to say.

Stealth Rock is on a few Pokemon's sets. Heatran, Garchomp, etc. But that doesn't make it bad.

Excadrill is great and has a spot on pretty much every team. And it is immune to Toxic Spikes. It resists SR and Spikes. Why not just carry an Excadrill?

First off, you can't resist Spikes unless you're immune, which Excadrill is not, as aside from immunities to ground being considered it always deals a flat percentage based on layer count.

Excadrill is only going to be 1/6 of a team and can't answer everything.

That said, you really need to work on your wording if you weren't trying to imply SR is a bad move.

Stealth Rock isn't too good lol.

If Stealth Rock is so great, then where is it in the modern metagame?

Statements like these implied that you thought Stealth Rock is a bad move. Which was what Ana and I were arguing against, because Stealth Rock completely changed the meta when it was introduced in Gen IV. Edited by Toyosatomimi no Miko

...What? Seriously, where are you getting this? Everything I've read says Defog is terrible and useless and I can see why. Rapid Spin is a really weak move. And those Pokemon you mentioned aren't very viable. I've never seen them talked about in the competitive metagame.

Rapid Spin can remove things like Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock.

And Ana, it's not suprising that you don't know about Defog's effect.

While it is true that Defog can remove Spikes, Toxic Spikes and Stealth Rock, this was only introduced in Gen 6.

And Ms. Bunch, Rock is considered one of the best types in the metagame.

While they have a lot of weaknesses, they are super effective against many common types, making it a great offensive type.

Also, Rock types get a 50% Special Defence boost during Sandstorm, making some of them great tanks.

Edited by Water Mage

It's still a double edged blade though, since you're also removing the Stealth Rock/Spikes/Toxic Spikes/Sticky Web you set. But yeah, it was buffed, for good reason.

To be fair, it's small price considering you are also removing those things from yout side of the field.

For example, remember that Steath Rock can deal 50% damage to Pokemon with double weaknesses to Rock.

To be fair, it's small price considering you are also removing those things from yout side of the field.

For example, remember that Steath Rock can deal 50% damage to Pokemon with double weaknesses to Rock.

Yeah, it's good to be able to do that, but it's inconvenient to have to reset all those traps because you took them down...

Stealth Rock (entry hazards) and Rapid Spin (which get rid of them) are both good moves. A move doesn't need to do much damage to be a good move. They are both important for different reasons. It is personal taste, and which methods people usually use. A move being good is completely personal (however, there are some that are pretty obvious). It all depends on how a person plays, so they're both important in their own right.

Defog and my Bisharp comes out to play..

I prefer Zard Y only because I worked so hard to get a shiny Charizard, I almost felt stupid once it ended up mega evolving and already being black. Good thing Y exists, Plus Y is an excellent wall breaker.

I still hate Arceus. Damn goat god.

Can't wait till they give Darkrai a mega evo, oh man that will be fun.

Saying Stealth Rock (same for Spikes/Toxic Spikes) is bad because of Rapid Spin and Defog is thinking backward IMO.
​Rapid Spin and Defog are actually so great because all those moves are so dangerous. Defog was even modified to counter it, because Rapid Spin wasn't enough

It's like saying Spore sucks because Grass Type/Pokemon with the Overcoat Ability can negates it. The rules were changed because how OP this move was.

Or saying Dragon Type is bad because Fairy Type counter it (Or Poison Type being good for countering Fairy, actually.) The type was invented because how OP it was.

God dang it, I had a dream that I got my hands on a copy of Sun early. And it was awesome. :(

I had a Pikipek and I think Litten on my team. Though there's still a chance I will pick Popplio instead.

God dang it, I had a dream that I got my hands on a copy of Sun early. And it was awesome. :(

I had a Pikipek and I think Litten on my team. Though there's still a chance I will pick Popplio instead.

I had a dream about Sun and Moon too! I was fighting the champion and it had a weird Dragon type that shot me with a laser from the sun.

Man ... it's hard to believe we're in the seventh generation of Pokemon. I kinda feel old, lol.

This gen marks the first time I'll be getting both versions of the game. The Gamestop saleswoman convinced me to preorder both of them—not that it took much effort, she was on the cute side, and it was my birthday, so I figured, "what the heck?".

I've usually bought them in patterns: Blue, Gold, Sapphire, Diamond( or ... I would have bought Diamond if I hadn't listened to people saying Pokemon wasn't cool), White/White 2, then X and Alpha Sapphire.

I'm choosing Popplio for one of them (I always choose the water starter), but I have no idea who I'll choose for the other version.

Man ... it's hard to believe we're in the seventh generation of Pokemon. I kinda feel old, lol.

This gen marks the first time I'll be getting both versions of the game. The Gamestop saleswoman convinced me to preorder both of them—not that it took much effort, she was on the cute side, and it was my birthday, so I figured, "what the heck?".

I've usually bought them in patterns: Blue, Gold, Sapphire, Diamond( or ... I would have bought Diamond if I hadn't listened to people saying Pokemon wasn't cool), White/White 2, then X and Alpha Sapphire.

I'm choosing Popplio for one of them (I always choose the water starter), but I have no idea who I'll choose for the other version.

Saleswoman uses Charm.

It's super effective.

The only time I bought every game of a generation was Gen V. (there was 150+ new Pokémon to try after all.) But I lost my White version in vacation somewhere.

Gen 1 doesn't counts since it was my siblings who had Blue and Red.

You know who I really wanna see get a Mega Evolution? Feraligatr. And Snorlax.

I love Feraligatr and would totally love if it got a mega evolution. It's one of my favorite pokemon.

And we have some new pokemon.

the pikachu of the generation was shown, an Electric Steel type. It's a hedgehog or something similar.

Some bug/fairy types, bug/electric types and a normal/dragon type were shown.

The stuff is on Serebii's front page.

It's the 1st in Japan already? Or was this a leak? :/

Will there be anything else shown?

Well, it is now, but not quite when this leaked. Fortunately it was a matter of coming out hours before when it was planned, not days.

And anyone else think for a moment Drampa was Popplio's evolution?

Drampa looks freaking adorable. I really like Drampa.

Cutiefly and Togedemaru look cool too.

Overall the only one of these I don't like is Bruxish. Just... those lips. And those teeth. It's freaky and unsettling and I DON'T LIKE IT.