Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

If the leaks are real... even if they aren't I'm gonna choose Popplio tbh. It's just such a cute little thing.

I already know what I'm going to be naming some of my Pokemon though so... I'm fine with it. I never have a distinct theme so~

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I personally think Mega Evolution will be back.

Also... remember Mega Rayquaza?

Doesn't need a hold item to mega evolve?

...I think I hear the sound of an "Absolutely (we're serious this time) Anything Goes" tier being created.

It's kinda weird that they haven't mentioned anything about Mega Evolution. By this point, they should've hinted something if they wanted to continue with the concept. From what I get, the pokemon need the Z crystal to resonate with the Z bracelet of the player, so it pressumable is an item. Soo I think these ideas might be possible:

1. Some pokemon get Z moves while others kee Mega Evolution

2. Both concepts will live together and it's up to the player to choose what item they have.

3. Mega Evolution will no longer exist, being replaced by Z moves and mega stones/evolution will not be compatiblw with this game.

So far I think it's 2, since 3 is kind of an extreme assumption.

Alright, here's a quick run-down on all the information from the new video!

Alola Forms

Certain Pokemon from previous generations have adapted to the Alola climate in new and surprising ways, gaining new appearances, new typing, and new abilities.

So far there's been 5 new Alola forms announced.

Alolian Exeggutor

06733ee1061c81d10eec11ecec817f83.png

Alolian Vulpix & Alolian Ninetails

4a0ce8f4b493ecf3825a3a27074a22cb.png

Alolian Sandshrew & Alolian Sandslash

0318e8f9a5378e97a7dd62043f831450.png

It's also worth a note that every Alola form we've seen here has a brand-new typing! Well, sort-of. Exeggutor shares a typing with Mega Sceptile, but as Sceptile isn't normally a Grass/Dragon, it's up to personal preference whether to consider it as new. However, Ice/Fairy and Ice/Steel are without a doubt completely new typings.

New Region Pokemon

We've also seen some new Alola Pokemon, including evolutions and pre-evolutions to Pokemon we've seen before. Counting the various forms of Oricorio as separate Pokemon (and not the different Minior cores as at the moment they seem to be only vary aesthetically) we have a total of 9 new Pokemon shown.

Oricorio

ca0ac6a10d59410419df2d505dfd3f7a.png

d1545e2eca1f6401b8850c45423a7ddf.png

135b558da25d93182734df909125d5f8.png

Oricorio is a bird Pokemon with typing variations depending on what island it's found on (unfortunately, matching a variation to a specific island is tricky due to the nondescript locations shown, however, it's possible that they're listed in the order of the islands you can visit). It's also unknown (but very likely) that each variation will have a different stat distribution. It has a new unique move Revelation Dance that changes its typing depending on the variation that uses it (ie. Baile = Fire RD; Pom-Pom = Electric RD; Pa'u = Psychic RD; Sensu = Ghost RD) It also has a brand-new ability, Dancer, which allows it to copy the stat-boosting Dance moves that its opponent uses for free.

Minior

929ead9ce7de68b51e539a34a172eb3b.png

f528ca237390917cf25fdd984098e5a0.png

So far, it appears that the Minior cores are not variations like Oricorio, and are simply aesthetic differences similar to Gen VI's Flabebe. Shields Down is also a brand new ability that functions similarly to Darmantian's Zen Mode. At half HP, Minior strips away its armor to take on a more offensive stance.

Gumshoos

6954b107a52857de1805947d04e19c6e.png

As shown, this is the second (and seemingly final) evolution of Yungoos. It also has a brand-new ability Stakeout, though what it does is currently unknown.

Fomantis & Lurantis

78ca657bd1289c5c60950d4e69e3b063.png

This is a Pokemon of interest as well due to it having a never-before-seen move, Solar Blade, which appears to be a Physical Grass-type move. There's also a possibility of Fomantis and Lurantis being exclusive to Pokemon Moon due to it being nocturnal, but this isn't yet confirmed, though still worth noting.

Mudbray

90e8e14abb91ab146ba202ade8b45c1c.png

Mudbray is the pre-evolution of Mudsdale. (Also I'm not certain if the move it uses in the trailer is something new, or simply a new animation for Earthquake. Also worth noting just in case.

Ride Pokemon

The trailer also shows off a new mechanic called Ride Pokemon, which is mentioned to be a service. It appears that this new mechanic will allow the player to traverse obscure or perilous areas with ease, and the Ride Pokemon can offer transportation over land, sea, and air. This also raises the question about the purpose of HM moves such as Surf or Fly - it may be likely that instead, you'll simply be able to summon a Ride Pokemon to take you wherever you need to go. Currently, the Pokemon available for this service are Tauros, Mudsdale, Stoutland (as seen from a previously revealed image below), Sharpedo, and Charizard.

stoutlandsunmoon.jpg

The Island Challenge

The Island Challenge is a quest your trainer can embark on to strengthen themselves, by travelling to the four islands and completing various trials in order to be able to challenge the Island Challenge Champion named Woo. Each Trial has a captain, that seemingly gives you the trial and then allows you to battle them to prove your worthiness for the next island's trial. Like Oricorio, it's difficult to place the island each Trial and its captain will be found on, however, we do have clues.

Trial Captain Mallow

f14162f8c54faca9abe7ca5562151fdf.png

Mallow specializes in Grass-type Pokemon and her island's Trial is found in a location known as Lush Jungle, and her trial may consist of finding four rare ingredients for her (or this could be a personal quest).

Trial Captain Lana

dec00f09ff5dcc9a85784388189cfdf7.png

Lana specializes in Water-type Pokemon and her trial may consist of finding the source of disturbances in the local waters (or this could be a personal quest for her.)

Trial Captain Sophocles

004a0981d25d88bf5b88756b54aabf4c.png

Sophocles specializes in Electric-type Pokemon, and while his introduction reveals very little, his trial may take place inside or around what looks to be his laboratory.

Trial Captain Kiawe

904d848bb11bc4211081a37f781bc6fd.png

Kiawe specializes in Fire-type Pokemon and his trial is specifically stated to be "quite different" than the others you have faced before, and explicitly is a test of observations of various dances. Kiawe is also interesting as it's a bit easier to pinpoint where he might be, as there's only one island that has a volcano (and seemingly, lava).

6bf7f7f3260f03fa727019c2d1ef81e6.png

At the end of each trial, there will be a battle with a Token Pokemon, a special Pokemon with a powerful aura that boosts its stats and gives it the ability to call ally Pokemon to its aid in battle, resulting in multiple Pokemon against your one. Currently, two Pokemon we know will be Token Pokemon are Gumshoos, with an aura that boosts its defense and is likely fought at the end of Kiawe's trial, and Lurantis, which is likely fought at the end of Mallow's trial.

When each trial is cleared, you can fight the Kahunas, elite trainers of each island that will serve as the final test. The Kahuna for the first island (Melemele Island) is confirmed to be Hala, the old man who gives you your starter Pokemon at the beginning of the game. He calls the battle against him a "grand trial", before officially showing off his battle animation and introducing himself as Island Kahuna Hala.

Z-Moves

Z-Moves are a brand-new mechanic, appearing to stem from the bracelet the player character wears. Z-Moves are an extremely powerful attack with 18 variations, one for each Pokemon type. The power that creates this attack is known as Z-Power, and is summoned by a unique dance done by the trainer. 4 of the 18 Z-Moves were shown in the trailer.

Electric-type Z-Move: Gigavolt Havoc

0e8207c077b2c820d0b6c2aa51f08130.png

Grass-type Z-Move: Bloom Doom

e4fce53ae9fcc7acbc73b45051a79912.png

Fire-type Z-Move: Inferno Overdrive

4a6b9a6cdc07731c7af3e063881d00ae.png

Water-type Z-Move: Hydro Vortex

85be593e567182e64099dd83402391dc.png

It appears to function for dual-type Pokemon based off the first type listed. I.E. a Flying/Psychic type will having a Flying Z-Move, while a Psychic/Flying type will have a Psychic Z-Move. (Also worth noting, is that the Z-moves shown also correspond with the specialties of the Trial Captains).

And I do believe that is absolutely everything! Sorry about this taking so long, there was a lot to record here. I'll post my own opinions in a separate post.

Late to the party, but it's already confirmed that Stakeout allows the user to inflict double damage on a Pokemon that just switched into battle.

I've seen people say they saw a Mega Tyranitar logo somewhere in the trailer; hence why I think Megas are a shoe-in.

Where? I haven't seen it, though. Although I do realize that seeing Salamence, Gengar and Garchomp is a strong sign of Mega Evolution still be a thing.

On another note, rewatching the past videos, specifically the one where Tapu Koko is revealed makes me wonder what connection does Hala has with the Guardian Legendary. Perhaps you'll fight him and then face Tapu Koko as the final trial and then go to the next one. However, seeing Tapu Koko as Lv. 60 makes me think it's one of the last islands. Or am I wrong?

Wait. You lived in Hawaii?

Which is why I cried on the Japanese trailer.

That kid was me all those years ago.

Nothing in common with the American kids, especially since the socializing aspect of the school system was so different.

The only thing I dislike about everything is the name Bloom Doom. It sounds really corny.

SoC: Mudbray holds a special place in my heart.

Also, I couldn't leave Moana out of this even if I wasn't using a lei Pokemon. She's HAWAIIAN. And this region is Hawaii. lol

Moana is Polynesian, not Hawaiian, Ana :I

Lilo and Nani are both Hawaiian tho, so you can always name Comfey after one of them

I am absolutely hyped for all of these new Pokémon, and I'm def using a Vulpix <3

Alolan Ninetales and Exeggutor are my new best friends. I'm really loving the new Pokémon that have been introduced so far. <3

My only concern with the new update is that it seems to lend a lot of credence to the leaked/rumoured starter evolutions, and while the Archer Rowlet final evolution of that line was super cool, I didn't like the Litten evolution at all and I really hope it isn't true. We've had enough bulky, beefy Fire-type starters already. >_>

So, that was definitely a thing.

On another note, here's an old Japanese product:

JPqSMer.jpg

They knew. They always knew it was Exeggutor's true calling to look like that.

Where was that old Japanese product came from anyway? I'll be really surprised if Exeggutor's Alola Form was originally used from that idea before they used it for Sun and Moon?

I didn't even see Ash, does that mean she will be the new pokégirl?

Oh wow she can even cook, yup, good-bye Serena.

Ash won't have all the starters, good.

Ash isn't a canon character, he's anime exclusive and he only appears in Pokemon Puzzle League.

Edited by King Marth 64

Where was that old Japanese product came from anyway? I'll be really surprised if Exeggutor's Alola Form was originally used from that idea before they used it for Sun and Moon?

That's the Japanese version of the Jungle booster box for the TCG.

Ash isn't a canon character, he's anime exclusive and he only appears in Pokemon Puzzle League.

It's from a very old TCG set. From... '97, I think?

I'm pretty sure that those are anime reference images, so Ash isn't out of place in that image

I had a thought, you know how older Gens had Surfing Pikachu? Wouldn't an Aloha Form of sorts be the best way to bring that concept back maybe with a Lanturn like typing? I mean I'm not one to advocate more Pikachu, but I feel this is a fitting opportunity.

I had a thought, you know how older Gens had Surfing Pikachu? Wouldn't an Aloha Form of sorts be the best way to bring that concept back maybe with a Lanturn like typing? I mean I'm not one to advocate more Pikachu, but I feel this is a fitting opportunity.

Sadly, they already shown Pikachu in the trailer and it was in it's regular form.

Sadly, they already shown Pikachu in the trailer and it was in it's regular form.

They're had cosplay Pikachu in ORAS, maybe they have a way to transform Pikachu into a surfing Pikachu (and he is on a surfboard) in Sun & Moon?

Lilo and Nani are both Hawaiian tho, so you can always name Comfey after one of them

This is like the third time somebody has suggested this to me, they're NOT princesses.... Sorry. xP

I said Disney princess and related characters. Meaning the princesses or characters from their movies/shows. And Moana looks close enough to Hawaiian for me. :P

Edited by Anacybele

My Rowlet will be named Hoole.

My Grubbin will be named Geeves.

My Pancham (we've seen it around) will be named Ji.

My Vulpix will be named Weiss.

My Mudbray will be named Aspercel.

Lots of references... some obvious, some not.

Anyways, who else is kinda hoping ice type will get a buff? I swear, if they do something like remove it's fighting weakness I will be super stoked.

My Rowlet will be named Hoole.

My Grubbin will be named Geeves.

My Pancham (we've seen it around) will be named Ji.

My Vulpix will be named Weiss.

My Mudbray will be named Aspercel.

Lots of references... some obvious, some not.

Anyways, who else is kinda hoping ice type will get a buff? I swear, if they do something like remove it's fighting weakness I will be super stoked.

It needs some resistances. Maybe make it resist fairy and water.