Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

Oh, come on, it's harmless. What's wrong with people comparing him to Owain/Odin?

Besides it could be worse.

I just personally dislike Owain. Also, part of it is sarcasm- despite being unable to detect it, I deploy it a lot.

Owain/Odin jokes lol. It was the first thing I thought about Gladion in the trailer.

Also, has anyone noticed the huge amount Turtinattor dealt to Granbull in the japanese trailer? Granbull Ice Fang'd and he gets like half dmg, and the images were cut, so we don't know if it is indeed half or more.

Well, it's a counter-esque move; it would make sense that it would be fairly powerful due to the difficulty of pulling it off.

Edited by The DanMan

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh wow, there is an Oak look-alike in there. I must've missed him before. But I don't think it's Oak. That's no tan, he's outright black. It's probably a relative or someone based off of Oak.

EDIT: Oh, didn't see the posts above. Oopsie. xP

Edited by Anacybele

Oh, come on, it's harmless. What's wrong with people comparing him to Owain/Odin?

Besides it could be worse.

Chuuni has already been a cliché trope, for years. It's hard to take Gladion serious when he's like that. I didnt even bother to point out how sad Gladion's pose is.

Edited by Magical CC

Chuuni has already been a cliché trope, for years. It's hard to take Gladion serious when he's like that. I didnt even bother to point out how sad Gladion's pose is.

I'm pretty neutral to it overall- probably due not being exposed to as much of it.

Anyways, what do you people think will be in CoroCoro? More information on stuff shown off in the most recent trailer, or follow-up details on the September 14th trailer (CoroCoro officially releases on the 15th).

Have we talked about the significance of what all the flowers which the characters are named after symbolize? It seems to be a trend in the game, and I wanted to know if that could help us understand the characters better. For instance, Gladion is named after the gladiolus flower, which stands for:

• Strength of character
  • Faithfulness, sincerity and integrity
  • Infatuation
  • Never giving up

According to flowermeaning.com.

I find it funny that such a person would be on Team Skull, unless it means he switches sides later, hopefully against the Aether Foundation. Sadly, I couldn't find any information on the guzmania flower (I only looked for like a minute, but hey).

Lusamine's name, in turn, comes from balsamine, which symbolizes impatience.

Edited by Thane

Have we talked about the significance of what all the flowers which the characters are named after symbolize? It seems to be a trend in the game, and I wanted to know if that could help us understand the characters better. For instance, Gladion is named after the gladiolus flower, which stands for:

• Strength of character
  • Faithfulness, sincerity and integrity
  • Infatuation
  • Never giving up

According to flowermeaning.com.

I find it funny that such a person would be on Team Skull, unless it means he switches sides later, hopefully against the Aether Foundation. Sadly, I couldn't find any information on the guzmania flower (I only looked for like a minute, but hey).

Lusamine's name, in turn, comes from balsamine, which symbolizes impatience.

There was a gamexplain analysis right when Team Skull was revealed that touched on the guzmania flower; it grows of off other plants, but doesn't actually harm them. It appears to be a parasite, but it isn't.

Hence why I think Guzma has connections to the Aether Foundation- he appears to be in opposition to them, but is actually helping them.

Interesting about the gladiolus flower, though.

There was a gamexplain analysis right when Team Skull was revealed that touched on the guzmania flower; it grows of off other plants, but doesn't actually harm them. It appears to be a parasite, but it isn't.

Hence why I think Guzma has connections to the Aether Foundation- he appears to be in opposition to them, but is actually helping them.

Oh right, I remember it now that you mention it. However, I never got such an evil vibe from Guzma; the first thing they showed us of him could be one of the reasons as to why he's in charge of a criminal group. They sort of humanized him right from the get-go, and since Team Skull doesn't seem to have a plan beyond committing crimes in order to get rich - which is essentially Team Rocket - I'm more inclined to believe Guzma is meant to come across as more dangerous than he really is. Figuratively speaking, I'm more inclined to believe he grows of off the Aether Foundation unknowingly.; he's an extension of them, whether he knows it or not.

Of course, I've got no more information than the rest of everyone here, and maybe I'm constructing an appealing narrative in my head rather than looking objectively at what we actually do know. Maybe the Aether Foundation is pure good while Team Skull will just be a callback to Team Rocket, and we get to stop people who don't want to destroy the world for once, but rather are just looking to make a quick buck, but I doubt it.

As for the gladiolus flower, I agree it's interesting. I hope Gladion represents those characteristics as well. Had only he, Lillie and Lusamine been named after flowers, I would've said their theoreticized connection would be all but confirmed, but Guzma and that other Team Skull lady also have floral names, which throws a wrench in that particular approach.

Oh right, I remember it now that you mention it. However, I never got such an evil vibe from Guzma; the first thing they showed us of him could be one of the reasons as to why he's in charge of a criminal group. They sort of humanized him right from the get-go, and since Team Skull doesn't seem to have a plan beyond committing crimes in order to get rich - which is essentially Team Rocket - I'm more inclined to believe Guzma is meant to come across as more dangerous than he really is. Figuratively speaking, I'm more inclined to believe he grows of off the Aether Foundation unknowingly.; he's an extension of them, whether he knows it or not.

Of course, I've got no more information than the rest of everyone here, and maybe I'm constructing an appealing narrative in my head rather than looking objectively at what we actually do know. Maybe the Aether Foundation is pure good while Team Skull will just be a callback to Team Rocket, and we get to stop people who don't want to destroy the world for once, but rather are just looking to make a quick buck, but I doubt it.

As for the gladiolus flower, I agree it's interesting. I hope Gladion represents those characteristics as well. Had only he, Lillie and Lusamine been named after flowers, I would've said their theoreticized connection would be all but confirmed, but Guzma and that other Team Skull lady also have floral names, which throws a wrench in that particular approach.

Just because Gamefreak bothered to try and humanize an antagonist doesn't mean he won't be an antagonist to the end- but really, who knows at this point. The only thing that I'd say is a fact is that Lillie, Gladion, and Lusamine have some relation to each other and Lillie is closely tied to UB-01. Any amount of "genre-saviness" and/or theorycraft is still just conjecture.

Gladion himself doesn't seem to want Pokemon to get hurt ("It's no use fighting me; you'll only get your pokemon hurt"), and I don't find it hard to see him being very dedicated- whether that dedication relates to the Aether Foundation, Team Skull, or personal goals remains unknown. I also don't think that, as a Team Skull enforcer, he'll lie or mislead as much as just withhold information.

I had him as more of a lawful evil, but if the gladioulus flower reflects his character it may be more of a chaotic neutral.

Just because Gamefreak bothered to try and humanize an antagonist doesn't mean he won't be an antagonist to the end- but really, who knows at this point.

Oh, I know that, obviously, but what with it being the first thing we saw of him, and nothing indicating that Team Skull is anything more than a gang of thugs, he just comes across as toothless. Again, I know we've got very limited information to go on, but it's just the impression I have.

The only thing that I'd say is a fact is that Lillie, Gladion, and Lusamine have some relation to each other

Really? It's not something I dare to say just yet, since I think so many anime characters look identical.

Really? It's not something I dare to say just yet, since I think so many anime characters look identical.

They have the exact same hair and eye colors- show me something with an anime artstyle with a lot of characters and a few of them have multiple identical physical traits yet aren't related.

They have the exact same hair and eye colors- show me something with an anime artstyle with a lot of characters and a few of them have multiple identical physical traits yet aren't related.

Well, I don't actually watch much anime or read much manga, and was mainly speaking generally as someone who's not that into the medium. However, in Attack on Titan, multiple characters all look incredibly similar, if that counts, especially in the manga.

Well, he is quite clearly described as probably more bark than bite. "He certain does seems strong, but he claims to be one of those who "never could become captains"" (from the official site.)

Then, we have Plumeria,,who is the team's "Big Sis" and Attack you only because you picked on the grunts. Except the fact she's in Team Skull, she's a pretty positive characters. If you want to talk about humanising Team Skull, she is a better choice.

The other thing about Team Skull is their apparent lack of motivation. Other ennemy leader (starting Gen III) wants to control/destroy the world, often with the end of legendary

. And even if Team Rocket did basically the same thing, they were far more organized (At least in Gen I...). Their leader was one of Kanto's most trusted citizen, after all.

Something I just found out: Sun and Moon (as well as ORAS) have a different director. All previous games had Junichi Masuda at the head, while ORAS and 7th gen have Shigeru Ohmori.

Considering all the material for story theories we have for SM and the whole Delta Episode in ORAS, I must say it isn't terribly surprising to find this out.

Something I just found out: Sun and Moon (as well as ORAS) have a different director. All previous games had Junichi Masuda at the head, while ORAS and 7th gen have Shigeru Ohmori.

Considering all the material for story theories we have for SM and the whole Delta Episode in ORAS, I must say it isn't terribly surprising to find this out.

Do you think he's the one in charge of (what we can only assume is) the removal of the gym system? Seems like he's a bit more daring and less traditional, if that's the case.

Do you think he's the one in charge of (what we can only assume is) the removal of the gym system? Seems like he's a bit more daring and less traditional, if that's the case.

Considering he's the director and anything major like that would have to pass through him anyway, I assume that the major changes and different feel to the game are because of him.

This really feels intentional- X and Y kinda of brought the formulaic-ness to the point and felt more old than new, so they got someone newer and younger on for the next major games (after letting him get his bearings with remakes).

So the rumor about Sun and Moon's director being the same as ORAS was true. Interesting.

I did like what he did with ORAS's story.

Did anyone else check all the beds and lockers in Sea Mauville? There's a suprisingly good story about Sea Mauville.

And Professor Cozmo's baclstory is actually kinda heartbreaking...

Has anyone already read the reasoning for why the games are called Sun and Moon? I just read through it and I couldn't help but be a little touched and impressed by it.

It really reminds me that Pokemon was created and is marketed in such a manner to promote the connection of people around the world to each other through these games.

The biggest plot twist gonna be the Aether Foundation is actually the good nice guys.

The average grunts are probably nice enough, and I'm pretty sure that somebody on the administration is good/will reach that point- right now I'm thinking they're more along the lines of well-intentioned extremists.

The biggest plot twist gonna be the Aether Foundation is actually the good nice guys.

We have no solid proof to the contrary, but it's funny how everyone immediately goes "yupp, they're evil" or something to that effect.

I think one of the biggest giveaways is the fact that they introduced Aether Foundation grunts. Like, the ones we'll most likely have to battle on our way to their bosses, just like every other team. There's no reason to point out that they've got people working for them.

The average grunts are probably nice enough, and I'm pretty sure that somebody on the administration is good/will reach that point- right now I'm thinking they're more along the lines of well-intentioned extremists.

Might just be another Lysandre, but rather than trying to destroy the world and then rebuild it, they'll try to improve humans instead, leading to the creation of the Ultra Beasts, which might be prototypes or failed experiments.

Might just be another Lysandre, but rather than trying to destroy the world and then rebuild it, they'll try to improve humans instead, leading to the creation of the Ultra Beasts, which might be prototypes or failed experiments.

I wouldn't quite call Lysandre "well-intentioned", what with the genocide part of his plan. Plus, the Flare grunts were pretty much just suave jerks- from what little we do know, the Aether Foundation employees seem nice and dedicated enough to their jobs of saving Pokemon from Team Skull.

And the "furthering humanity's evolution" theory was something that I also thought of.

I wouldn't quite call Lysandre "well-intentioned", what with the genocide part of his plan. Plus, the Flare grunts were pretty much just suave jerks- from what little we do know, the Aether Foundation employees seem nice and dedicated enough to their jobs of saving Pokemon from Team Skull.

And the "furthering humanity's evolution" theory was something that I also thought of.

Well, isn't that where the "extremist" part comes in? His plan was to save the world, after all. Of course, I never did understand why he'd want to recreate the world with the Team Flare morons he assembled, but hey.

Oh absolutely, but I doubt they'd be introduced if they weren't going to be used as, well, expendables.

I'm sort of surprised it hasn't been done sooner, at least to my knowledge. Maybe it's too dark for the target audience? I mean, I believe UB-01 is based on Lillie, not that they're one and the same, but if it indeed IS Lillie, then that's some creepy shit.