Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

Wow, how is Lycanroc Midnight not Dark type? That doesn't make any sense at all. Well, I'm glad I'm getting the Midday form.

Those monkeys/apes/whichever they are look weird to me. But then again, monkeys/apes not named Chimchar, Monferno, or Infernape look weird to me a lot.

Liking the trainer customization options a lot though!

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fighting has common weaknesses such as Fairy, Psychic and Flying. Any team is bound to have a move of one of those types, so Wonder Guard really doesn't do great in this case.

Receiver + Multiscale, Solid Rock, or Sturdy would probably be better.

Fighting has common weaknesses such as Fairy, Psychic and Flying. Any team is bound to have a move of one of those types, so Wonder Guard really doesn't do great in this case.

Being immune to everything else still seems pretty nice. I doubt they'll make Wonder guard compatible with receiver though. Correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe they prevented the ability being swapped by other ways before.

But anyway the new monkey pokemon look pretty nice, i'm still not feeling Z moves, but the animations are cool and I like extra customization options. The feature was a bit bare bones in XY.

I do wonder if they are ever going show new Ice or Poison Pokemon. Poison only has one new Pokemon revealed and it could use some extra tools to play with as well. Ice just got the Alola forms.

Passimian looks awesome.

Oranguru looks pretty good.

Lycanroc Midday looks better in 3D than 2D, and it looks better than Lycanroc Midnight.

Trainer Customization we knew about, but neat I guess.

Pokemon Groom = Pokemon Amie.

Can we just reflect on how Oranguru is said to have been seen using pokeballs?

Instruct seems like parental bond as a move- it'd be better to use helping hand for purely offensive moves, but stuff that gives stat buffs/debuffs would benefit greatly from it. If he's remotely viable, I'm expecting people to crank all durability into it they can get.

Oh yeah, I find it funny how some people on certain other sites are denying Passimian to be the rugby/football monkey from the Chinese leak because it technically isn't following one of those sports exactly, or how it's closer to a lemur than a monkey, and lemurs aren't monkeys.

Oh yeah, I find it funny how some people on certain other sites are denying Passimian to be the rugby/football monkey from the Chinese leak because it technically isn't following one of those sports exactly, or how it's closer to a lemur than a monkey, and lemurs aren't monkeys.

Eh, Verlisify (the Keemstar of the Pokemon community) said that Lycanroc's Midnight form wasn't a werewolf but an "Anthro wolf", so therefore the Chinese leak isn't true.

Eh, Verlisify (the Keemstar of the Pokemon community) said that Lycanroc's Midnight form wasn't a werewolf but an "Anthro wolf", so therefore the Chinese leak isn't true.

Oh ho, I haven't heard that one before. Let me guess, since it doesn't transform between a man and a wolf?

Oh ho, I haven't heard that one before. Let me guess, since it doesn't transform between a man and a wolf?

It sort of reminds me of Lupine from Reaper Man. Kinda.

Hm, I'm not a fan of either Lycanroc form. I'm not a fan of the Rockruff line at all, to be honest. Pure Rock type is disgusting to me. At least give me the classic Rock/Ground combination.

I'm still going to get Moon, though. Oranguru has a definite spot on my team. I can't decide if I'll name it Kenshin or Shingen, though. I can't pass up on Lunala, either.

Customization is looking good. I hope they give the dudes more clothes to choose from, though. I don't usually play as dudes but, when I do, I want my trainer to be looking fresh.

Oranguru has a lot of potential, but it depends on the exact mechanics of Instruct. if it works plainly as said(replaces Oranguru's move with it's target using the last move they used) then it will be a stronger, more setup reliant helping hand(since no damage reduction was noted, which would mean 2x damage as opposed to 1.5x for helping hand)

There are a couple of pros to this, it doubles the effect of setup moves, it outputs more damage than helping hand, and it could potentially be used for combos. There are some instances where there are two different moves you could use, creating a 50/50 scenario on a potential switch. If Oranguru is faster than it's partner Pokemon and one of those moves was used the turn prior, you can potentially Instruct to make both plays, instead of banking on a 50/50 prediction.

Of course, the cons. Instruct is only as fast as Oranguru, unlike Helping Hand which has priority, and only relies on a fast partner. Even if the partner is fast and gets a move off, if Oranguru is slow, either the partner, or Oranguru itself could be taken out before it's move can be repeated. Seeing as Oranguru at least appears to be on the slow and bulky side, this could be an issue when paired with fast, powerful attackers who are liable to be focused down and taken out quickly. One potential remedy to this is to invest in speed and perhaps run a choice scarf on Oranguru, or to play it in Tailwind or Trick Room, the prior being the most widely applicable, but also the most limiting to Oranguru's own abilities(assuming it will learn other support moves).

Overall, Instruct is interesting, but we need to know more about it's specific mechanics. along with Oranguru's own stats and movepool, before we can really make a judgment on it. There are a bunch of different ways it could work, I know I've heard people speculate that it could be used on an opponent to force a move(which would work if a faster Oranguru caused it's target to not only immediately use the move it used the turn prior, but also force it to use that same move again like a pseudo-encore, though I personally doubt that it will function that way).

As for the other mons, Passimian honestly feels like a bit too much effort, but if it's stats and movepool are good, I'm sure there will be methods to abuse it's ability(Memento/Lunar Dance/Explosion, anyone?). Unless it has access to a Hidden ability, Passimian is likely to be rubbish in singles, but it's clearly a doubles mon by design.

Lycanroc is a bit disappointing if only because it remains pure rock in both instances. Midday forme has potential because Rock-type priority trashes so many mons if it's strong enough to make use of the likely low BP, but Midnight forme lacks that niche. Hopefully it can do things well aside from use Counter, because Counter sucks.

New Z moves... as far as I'm aware, use of Z moves requires a specific held item? If this is the case, then Pikachu's is garbage solely because it means no Light Ball. Unless the associated item retains a light ball effect, it is unlikely to see use at all. Eevee's is... interesting. In doubles, you can follow me as it uses it's Z move, and then hopefully outspeed the opposing side in order to get a baton pass off. It's a one-shot strategy due to the nature of Z moves, but it's not impossible to see work if the opposing team doesn't have haze or roar/whirlwind. In singles it feels less viable, since you need to bring Eevee out vs a pokemon that can't KO it, and don't get the luxury of giving Eevee a focus sash to bank on outspeeding at +2. It could enable a sweep lategame if you can get it in vs a support mon though.

And customization. Excellent, looking like lots of options, the ability to go without a hat, mmm, magnifique.

Refresh is pretty much amie, but with the addition of healing status. If it does it for free, that's more money for other things, awesome.

Pure Rock type is disgusting to me. At least give me the classic Rock/Ground combination.

I have to disagree. It's refreshing to see more pure Rock types since we don't see many at all (Cranidos, Rampardos, and Nosepass are the only other ones I can think of off the top of my head), even though I do still think Lycanrock Midnight should've also been Dark. And I think we have enough Rock/Ground Pokemon for right now.

I also think Rockruff and Lycanroc look adorbs. <3

Edited by Anacybele

I kind of wish eevee's z move was an attacking move and not a buff and it confirms again no new eevee evolution They need emo hair or bangs customization seems great though. I can't wait till we can give our pokemon accessories to wear in pokemon. So I guess there goes the september Corocoro being the starters mid evolution revealed trend.

I have to disagree. It's refreshing to see more pure Rock types since we don't see many at all (Cranidos, Rampardos, and Nosepass are the only other ones I can think of off the top of my head), even though I do still think Lycanrock Midnight should've also been Dark. And I think we have enough Rock/Ground Pokemon for right now.

I'm biased towards dual Ground types. Especially dual Water/Ground. *drools* Oh, that single grass weakness makes me shiver in delight.

I tend to look at Pokemon defensively with little regards for their other traits, which is a pretty bad viewpoint. Rock is really good offensively; I just can't stop my lips from curling when I see that plain Rock type on Rockruff.

Rockruff is really cute, I agree. The other two, not so much. I might catch a Rockruff, put it in my party and not train it so it can stay a baby forever. I used to do that with Cubone back in the day.

Seems like each version is one for two out of exclusives- Lycanroc Midday and Orangurru have a lot of potential, but Lycanroc Midnight form is hot garbage (why make counter, an old, non-STAB move that sucks, it's signature?) and Passimian is very gimmicky.

A shame, because I really wanted a fast rock/dark type and instead I'll be getting another slower one that's garbage. How do you come up with Orangurru one moment and Lycanroc Midnight form the next?

Roggenrola's line, Sudowoodo line, and Regirock are the rest of pure rocks for gens 1-6.

Also Gen1 overdid Rock/Ground, I hate that typing myself. That quad water weakness.

Oh yeah, I completely forgot about those, though I wasn't sure if the Roggenrola line was pure Rock.

Well, so far, I prefer all of Sun's exclusives to Moon's, which is good for me because I picked Sun from the start. Yayz.

Anyone else notice how, like Alola Forms, all the Pokemon-exclusive Z-moves so far are for Gen 1 Pokemon (except for Alola Raichu, I guess, but that's a new version of a Gen 1 Pokemon).

My pandering senses are tingling. Let's hope this amounts to nothing and I'm making connections that don't exist.

I wouldn't get my hopes up too high. GameFreak is too closed minded to think that fans love anything more than gen 1 Pokemon. So far, this is the only thing about the game that really annoys me.

Edited by Anacybele