Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

Except Arceus is pronounced "ARK-ee-uhs?" (I remember it being said this way in the Arceus movie, Arceus and the Jewel of Life) It IS still kinda similar, though, and it'd be so cool if there was a connection, because it could be another hint at Sinnoh remakes. :D

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, how could I forget about Serperior? Okay, so it's Empoleon, Slowking, Tsareena, Serperior, Nidoking, Slaking. I'm not forgetting Tyrantrum: the tyrant in its original definition was a military dictator in Ancient Greece.

Here's what I would want my Generals team to be: Tyrantrum (Caesar), Samurott(Ieyasu), Aegislash(Charles Martel), Infernape(Sun Tzu), Donphan(Hamilcar), Bisharp(Alexander).

Except Arceus is pronounced "ARK-ee-uhs?" (I remember it being said this way in the Arceus movie, Arceus and the Jewel of Life) It IS still kinda similar, though, and it'd be so cool if there was a connection, because it could be another hint at Sinnoh remakes. :D

"If there was a connection"

It's Multi-type by another name with a different set of items, and Silvally's signature move is essentially a physical Judgement. Whether or not it leads to a Sinnoh remake remains to be seen, but I'd wager the connection to Arceus is quite clear.

Since we're on the topic of Arceus's name, can I complain about the official pronunciation being nothing like what typical English phonetics indicates?

It bothers me a ton and I still slip up and say Ar-see-us (over the official pronunciation Ark-ee-us) sometimes.

But, yeah, clever pun, localizers.

I'm glad it didn't have to give me another Zere Rocks moment in 6 years.

(to explain that, Zere Rocks is a location in Dragon Quest IX, it's a stonmason's exact replica of a town you visit early in the game called Zere. Zere Rocks = Xerox. It also refers to the place's location atop a mountain, "Shear Rocks." I of course did not notice this until a month or two ago when I was told about the pun.)

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Alola Muk honestly reminds me of some rainbow ice cream K-Mart used to sell back in the day.

I like it.

I feel like one of few people that shouted "Dick Gumshoe Ace Attorney!?" when I first saw Gumshoos. Now, one of my favorite Pokemon is ruined thanks to Donald Trump ass.

Edited by saisymbolic

Alola Muk honestly reminds me of some rainbow ice cream K-Mart used to sell back in the day.

I like it.

I feel like one of few people that shouted "Dick Gumshoe Ace Attorney!?" when I first saw Gumshoos. Now, one of my favorite Pokemon is ruined thanks to Donald Trump ass.

Alolan Muk is what would happen if a textile factory exploded near an ice cream factory. (I have the images of those river poluted by textile waste, taking all kind of colours...)

In nature, monsters are often really colourfull to show how dangerous/poisonous they are. By that measure, Alolan Muk break all the charts. It honnestly terrifies me more than any other Pokémons.

Here's what I would want my Generals team to be: Tyrantrum (Caesar), Samurott(Ieyasu), Aegislash(Charles Martel), Infernape(Sun Tzu), Donphan(Hamilcar), Bisharp(Alexander).

Did Hamilcar use elephants? I thought that was just Hannibal. Anyway, I raise you Empoleon(Napoleon), Magmortar(Zhukov), Rampardos(Grant), and Blastoise(Guderian).

Did Hamilcar use elephants? I thought that was just Hannibal. Anyway, I raise you Empoleon(Napoleon), Magmortar(Zhukov), Rampardos(Grant), and Blastoise(Guderian).

I wanted to avoid dupes in my typing, so I guess I could try a rotation team with Super and Hyper Training making competitive seem much more viable than previously.

Gooooood morning ladies and gents and nonbinary persons, I'm Vash and this is an update on the latest Sun and Moon news.

On we go~

New Pokemon

Every Pokemon shown is either an evolution or an Alolan variation, and including Alolan Muk and Alolan Grimer this gives us a total of 8 new Pokemon. Amazing!

Silvally

547110376b9c62a179f9d6b98b9117fc.png

Silvally is Type: Null's evolution, and has the new and unique ability RKS System (Well that's not subtle at all!) with a unique move called Multi Attack that corresponds to this ability. RKS System allows Silvally to change its typing depending on the hold item its carrying and the typing of Multi Attack will match the typing that Silvally currently has. These hold items are called Memories, and have the same functionality as the Plates from previous games (except that they may only work with Silvally this time around; if not, then they may be replacing Plates). It's stated that Type: Null evolves after it finds a partner it can trust by deliberately destroying its restrictive helmet.

... That's a little scary, actually. It can just... break out at any time then, couldn't it? Brr.

Hakamo-o & Kommo-o

7113fd923000d7e9600739214309d435.png

Hakamo-o and Kommo-o are the second and third evolution of Jangmo-o, gaining the secondary Fighting type as it does. Hakamo-o is known to dance before it battles to showcase its strength, making its scales clang together to make loud sounds. It often loses these scales in a fight, but since they grow back extremely quickly and it's a point of pride amongst Hakamo-o to lose a lot of scales in battle, they aren't too fussed. Kommo-o however is a Pokemon of mythical importance to the people of Alola, as it's claimed that Kommo-o is crucial to driving out a darkness from this world (Ultra Beasts?) and battles to gain the power needed to defeat these dark forces. It can learn a unique move, Clanging Scales, that involves Kommo-o scraping the scales from its body to attack with the loud, disorienting clanging those scales make, at the cost of lowered defense.

Steenee & Tsareena

cef3aeb2607da90b887a9b0f07235c89.png

Steenee and Tsareena are the second and third evolutions of Bounsweet. As the calyx (the "pigtails") on Steenee's head are much harder, it doesn't have to worry about being stabbed or hurt by other Pokemon and now loves to play with them instead of fleeing. It's said to be difficult to live with as it tends to have very little regard for its surroundings, twirling around without abandon. When it evolves into Tsareena, the Pokemon becomes much more mature. Tsareena will punish any Pokemon or person using it for evil deeds, even if that person is its beloved Trainer. They're very protective and proud Pokemon, disliking inferior strategies when battling and using its strength and the help of other Steenees and Tsareenas to protect Bounsweets. (How sweet!) Tsareena has both a new exclusive move, Trop Kick, and a brand-new ability Queenly Majesty. Trop Kick lowers the opponents' Attack, while Queenly Majesty prevents Pokemon from using priority moves.

Ribombee

c61eeeb68a8ec033082e55aaa5b9ff72.png

Ribombee is the evolution of Cutiefly. Ribombee collect flower pollen and nectar and create a ball of foodstuff called Pollen Puffs. Not only do these Pollen Puffs nourish the Ribombee, they can also be used in battle and cause dizziness and paralysis in their opponent, or can relief symptoms like tiredness. These beneficial Pollen Puffs are often sold at high prices in Alolan markets. Ribombee are also good indicators of the weather, as they hate being rained on and will usually retreat if bad weather's coming.

Alolan Grimer & Alolan Muk

317d23117f82468d5a0c17bc50032ae9.png

And last, but not least, the Alolan forms of Grimer and Muk (aside: am I the only one who ends up thinking Grimer is the evolution? I constantly make this mistake). Their new form grants them the Dark type. Alolan Grimer were imported from other regions when the population of Alola rose and garbage disposal started becoming an issue. Since their primary diet is now garbage and sometimes other manufactured objects, its form changed, and crystallized toxins (its "teeth") began to form. It's stated that coming into direct contact with either of these Pokemon is dangerous.

New Trainers

Olivia

6d0105fdb43263565595b8e9e3fc396d.png

Olivia is the Kahuna of Akala Island, the second island you'll visit on your journey. She's said to be quite young, but shows extraordinary skill, but she's humble and simply insists that she's a normal girl. She also says in the trailer that all of her Pokemon are Rock-type Pokemon, and the first Pokemon she has in her team of three is Nosepass.

Ilima

c01d769d07ab0addf6d039bd6fab9f59.png

Ilima's existence disproves something we initially believed - that there was only four trial captains, one for each island. With Ilima's introduction, we now know this isn't the case. Ilima specializes in Normal-type Pokemon, and they're a graduate from the Trainer school and very popular to the students of that school. It seems like Ilima's trial will be held on Melemele Island, as that's the island containing the Trainer School and the cave where their trial takes place is that first cave behind the ceremonial plaza.

I do believe that is everything!

Re: Arceus pronounciations

There are 3 different official ways of pronouncing its name, so everyone in the thread is technically correct.

Check

Well this is pretty weird... Why are there so many different pronunciations when there really only needs to be one? I thought "ARK-ee-us" was the official one because it's the only one I ever actually heard though.

I'm still gonna pronounce it Ar-SEE-us.

Heck, I pronounce it "Ar-kay-us" myself. Using a classical Latin pronunciation to work in the Latin word for god (deus) in.

Gooooood morning ladies and gents and nonbinary persons, I'm Vash and this is an update on the latest Sun and Moon news.

On we go~

New Pokemon

Every Pokemon shown is either an evolution or an Alolan variation, and including Alolan Muk and Alolan Grimer this gives us a total of 8 new Pokemon. Amazing!

Silvally

547110376b9c62a179f9d6b98b9117fc.png

Silvally is Type: Null's evolution, and has the new and unique ability RKS System (Well that's not subtle at all!) with a unique move called Multi Attack that corresponds to this ability. RKS System allows Silvally to change its typing depending on the hold item its carrying and the typing of Multi Attack will match the typing that Silvally currently has. These hold items are called Memories, and have the same functionality as the Plates from previous games (except that they may only work with Silvally this time around; if not, then they may be replacing Plates). It's stated that Type: Null evolves after it finds a partner it can trust by deliberately destroying its restrictive helmet.

... That's a little scary, actually. It can just... break out at any time then, couldn't it? Brr.

Hakamo-o & Kommo-o

7113fd923000d7e9600739214309d435.png

Hakamo-o and Kommo-o are the second and third evolution of Jangmo-o, gaining the secondary Fighting type as it does. Hakamo-o is known to dance before it battles to showcase its strength, making its scales clang together to make loud sounds. It often loses these scales in a fight, but since they grow back extremely quickly and it's a point of pride amongst Hakamo-o to lose a lot of scales in battle, they aren't too fussed. Kommo-o however is a Pokemon of mythical importance to the people of Alola, as it's claimed that Kommo-o is crucial to driving out a darkness from this world (Ultra Beasts?) and battles to gain the power needed to defeat these dark forces. It can learn a unique move, Clanging Scales, that involves Kommo-o scraping the scales from its body to attack with the loud, disorienting clanging those scales make, at the cost of lowered defense.

Steenee & Tsareena

cef3aeb2607da90b887a9b0f07235c89.png

Steenee and Tsareena are the second and third evolutions of Bounsweet. As the calyx (the "pigtails") on Steenee's head are much harder, it doesn't have to worry about being stabbed or hurt by other Pokemon and now loves to play with them instead of fleeing. It's said to be difficult to live with as it tends to have very little regard for its surroundings, twirling around without abandon. When it evolves into Tsareena, the Pokemon becomes much more mature. Tsareena will punish any Pokemon or person using it for evil deeds, even if that person is its beloved Trainer. They're very protective and proud Pokemon, disliking inferior strategies when battling and using its strength and the help of other Steenees and Tsareenas to protect Bounsweets. (How sweet!) Tsareena has both a new exclusive move, Trop Kick, and a brand-new ability Queenly Majesty. Trop Kick lowers the opponents' Attack, while Queenly Majesty prevents Pokemon from using priority moves.

Ribombee

c61eeeb68a8ec033082e55aaa5b9ff72.png

Ribombee is the evolution of Cutiefly. Ribombee collect flower pollen and nectar and create a ball of foodstuff called Pollen Puffs. Not only do these Pollen Puffs nourish the Ribombee, they can also be used in battle and cause dizziness and paralysis in their opponent, or can relief symptoms like tiredness. These beneficial Pollen Puffs are often sold at high prices in Alolan markets. Ribombee are also good indicators of the weather, as they hate being rained on and will usually retreat if bad weather's coming.

Alolan Grimer & Alolan Muk

317d23117f82468d5a0c17bc50032ae9.png

And last, but not least, the Alolan forms of Grimer and Muk (aside: am I the only one who ends up thinking Grimer is the evolution? I constantly make this mistake). Their new form grants them the Dark type. Alolan Grimer were imported from other regions when the population of Alola rose and garbage disposal started becoming an issue. Since their primary diet is now garbage and sometimes other manufactured objects, its form changed, and crystallized toxins (its "teeth") began to form. It's stated that coming into direct contact with either of these Pokemon is dangerous.

New Trainers

Olivia

6d0105fdb43263565595b8e9e3fc396d.png

Olivia is the Kahuna of Akala Island, the second island you'll visit on your journey. She's said to be quite young, but shows extraordinary skill, but she's humble and simply insists that she's a normal girl. She also says in the trailer that all of her Pokemon are Rock-type Pokemon, and the first Pokemon she has in her team of three is Nosepass.

Ilima

c01d769d07ab0addf6d039bd6fab9f59.png

Ilima's existence disproves something we initially believed - that there was only four trial captains, one for each island. With Ilima's introduction, we now know this isn't the case. Ilima specializes in Normal-type Pokemon, and they're a graduate from the Trainer school and very popular to the students of that school. It seems like Ilima's trial will be held on Melemele Island, as that's the island containing the Trainer School and the cave where their trial takes place is that first cave behind the ceremonial plaza.

I do believe that is everything!

Thanks a lot.

Well this is pretty weird... Why are there so many different pronunciations when there really only needs to be one? I thought "ARK-ee-us" was the official one because it's the only one I ever actually heard though.

The hard-C pronunciation is the only one that's currently acknowledged as correct in English (as Silvally's ability says). Arceus is pronounced in Japanese as "Aruseusu", implying a soft-C, but that only applies to Japan.

Edited by Lightchao42

The hard-C pronunciation is the only one that's currently acknowledged as correct in English (as Silvally's ability says). Arceus is pronounced in Japanese as "Aruseusu", implying a soft-C, but that only applies to Japan.

Makes the most sense to me anyway. Arceus has the word "arc" in it which is pronounced with a hard C. and the...thing on its back is shaped like an arc too.

And saying the C like an S makes it sound like the word "arse" like the video says and that's just dumb since we know what "arse" means.

Edited by Anacybele

The thing about pronouncing it Ark-ee-us is the fact the c is followed by an e, implying soft c sound.

I pronounced it with a soft c until I heard about the movies using Ark-ee-us, then I tried to switch over but it's really hard to not say Ar-see-us when looking at the name due to the spelling.

tbh if they wanted the pronunciation Ark-ee-us to be more obvious the name should have been spelled with a k in the English versions. But that's just my thoughts on it.

The thing about pronouncing it Ark-ee-us is the fact the c is followed by an e, implying soft c sound.

I pronounced it with a soft c until I heard about the movies using Ark-ee-us, then I tried to switch over but it's really hard to not say Ar-see-us when looking at the name due to the spelling.

tbh if they wanted the pronunciation Ark-ee-us to be more obvious the name should have been spelled with a k in the English versions. But that's just my thoughts on it.

That makes too much sense.

And apologies for the thread title joke.

No, because then it would be Arkeus and the word "ark" makes no sense for it because an ark is a giant ship, nothing to do with the Pokemon. "Arc" makes more sense because of the arc thing on its back.

Arkeus just looks plain dumb too, imo.

Also, names won't always follow the rules of the language. Because they're names and they tend to be more random and varied than actual English words.

Edited by Anacybele

They should have added a H. Archeus.

Now I wonder.

Considering アルセウス is not with a hard C or K sound (otherwise it would be アルウス), where did they got using that sound for English pronounciation...

Edited by Acacia Sgt

That makes too much sense.

And apologies for the thread title joke.

Yeah it's mostly to keep it consistent with what English speakers would be inclined to say.

No, because then it would be Arkeus and the word "ark" makes no sense for it because an ark is a giant ship, nothing to do with the Pokemon. "Arc" makes more sense because of the arc thing on its back.

Arkeus just looks plain dumb too, imo.

Also, names won't always follow the rules of the language. Because they're names and they tend to be more random and varied than actual English words.

Just because names don't always follow typical English phonetic rules doesn't mean that it doesn't feel really awkward when they're broken, at least for me.

There's also that often there is no official pronunciation before the anime features the Pokémon, meaning the spelling and phonetic rules are all we have to go by until then. That's basically the point of phonetics, after all, to give a reader at least an idea on how an unknown word or name is pronounced. "Arceus" gives an impression of how to say it that winds up being incorrect. That's my problem with it.

I'm curious to see how Jangmo-o's line's English names wind up being pronounced though. It sounds kinda silly in English to break up the O sound, but I can't think of any other way.

Now I wonder.

Considering アルセウス is not with a hard C or K sound (otherwise it would be [/size]アル[/size]ケ[/size]ウス[/size]), where did they got using that sound for English pronounciation...[/size]

My guess is to avoid making it sound like "arse." Which is understandable.

They should have added a H. Archeus.

This works, yeah.

Edit regarding Grimer/Muk: Apparently, they were imported to deal with garbage... but... why didn't they just use Trubbish/Garbodor?

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Maybe for you, but for me, Arceus always looked like "Ark-ee-us" and pronouncing the C like an S never occurred to me at all until I started seeing some others say it that way. "Ark-ee-us" may seem awkward to you, but it's not awkward to me.

Well, Bulbapedia has this:

From a combination of arch, archon, arcanus (Latin for secret/sacred mystery), archaic (ancient), αρχή arkhē (Greek for beginning), or archetypus (Latin for original), and deus (Latin for god). May also derive from aureus (golden), arc (round or ring), or Archeus (an aspect of the astral plane).

And a lot of those words have the hard C in them (and the ones that don't have "ch" instead). "Ark-ee-us" makes even more sense to me now.

Edited by Anacybele