Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

Maybe for you, but for me, Arceus always looked like "Ark-ee-us" and pronouncing the C like an S never occurred to me at all until I started seeing some others say it that way. "Ark-ee-us" may seem awkward to you, but it's not awkward to me.

Fair enough, I guess. I was mostly annoyed by disobedience to the normal rules of soft vs hard c's (c's followed by "e" or "i" are almost always soft. For example, cell, ceiling, cent, citrus, etc. Ones followed by "a," "o" or "u" are normally hard c's, cube, cozy, cat, can, etc.)

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fair enough, I guess. I was mostly annoyed by disobedience to the normal rules of soft vs hard c's (c's followed by "e" or "i" are almost always soft. For example, cell, ceiling, cent, citrus, etc. Ones followed by "a," "o" or "u" are normally hard c's, cube, cozy, cat, can, etc.)

And like I said, names often don't follow English rules because of how random and varied they are and what languages they may actually originate from.

And even some English words don't follow that rule you state. Take "cello" for example. The C in that word is a "ch" sound rather than an S sound.

Edited by Anacybele

@Arceus pronunciation

It was actually pronounced with a soft c at first. This can be heard in Battle Revolution. They changed it later for whatever reason.

I prefer soft c myself, rolls off the tongue better.

Edited by SecondWorld

And like I said, names often don't follow English rules because of how random and varied they are and what languages they may actually originate from.

And even some English words don't follow that rule you state. Take "cello" for example. The C in that word is a "ch" sound rather than an S sound.

That is why I said "normally" or phases with similar meaning

But I digress, the way Arceus is spelled compared to its pronunciation is just something I've always found very bothersome.

Almost just one month for release, was it? Heh, too bad I am probably waiting for Christmas to get a chance to get them. Well, that extra month of wait will be worth it, I'd think.

Actually, it depends. If you mean Cello as the instrument, it is with Ch sound. If you mean Cello as in Cellophane material, it is with S sound.

Edited by Acacia Sgt

Edit regarding Grimer/Muk: Apparently, they were imported to deal with garbage... but... why didn't they just use Trubbish/Garbodor?

Because they aren't Gen 1. Trubbish and Garbodor's story is actualy kind of interesting and funny.

Trubbish and Garbodor were born from the excess of trash in Unova. They eat and absorb garbage, but don't pollute the environment. It's why the Janitor trainer uses Trubbish and Garbodor as they are useful for cleaning.

In other words, Unova's trash problem will..solve itself, ironic as that sounds. If only that happened in real life.

Because they aren't Gen 1. Trubbish and Garbodor's story is actualy kind of interesting and funny.

Trubbish and Garbodor were born from the excess of trash in Unova. They eat and absorb garbage, but don't pollute the environment. It's why the Janitor trainer uses Trubbish and Garbodor as they are useful for cleaning.

In other words, Unova's trash problem will..solve itself, ironic as that sounds. If only that happened in real life.

Yeah, but there's nothing stopping from including a Gen V Pokémon, even without a new form, from appearing in the game. I mean, is there any real point to importing a liquid pollutant Pokémon when they can import Trubbish, which are never noted to do things like:

Wherever Grimer has passed, so many germs are left behind that no plants will ever grow again.

Among other entries suggesting how harmful the original import is.

And yeah if only Trubbish actually existed. Would be handy for us wasteful Americans.

Like I guess I'm just bothered that Alola Grimer and Muk are basically just forced into serving the same basic point as Trubbish for no apparent reasoning beyond Gen 1 pandering.

In the Italian, Silvally's ability is called "Sistema Primevo"(Primeval System)

Arceus is considered to be the "Pokemon Primevo"(Primeval Pokemon)

Another proof that Silvally and Arceus are strongly connected, I guess.

Also, about Silvally: I like his design a lot but, at the same time, i can't help but feel that his head feels...weird with that body. Like, the body seems to be designed first with the masked head before and then with the "actual head".

But I know that this feeling will pass quickly.

So far with all of this my team so far looks to be like the Popplio line, Type: Null line, Rockruff line (Moon so Rockruff -> Hot Topic dog), Mimikkyu, Jangmo-o line, and possibly Alolan Marowak. Unless there's Noibats in the wild, in which place Noibat/Noivern > Marowak.

Subject to change but I'm 100% going to have the Type: Null line. It's already one of my favorite mons ever created.

Actually, it depends. If you mean Cello as the instrument, it is with Ch sound. If you mean Cello as in Cellophane material, it is with S sound.

Yeah, I meant the instrument. I forgot about cellophane though.

Subject to change but I'm 100% going to have the Type: Null line. It's already one of my favorite mons ever created.

Same here. I must admit I would've preferred it with the scary helmet on and the freaky name, since it fit its motif brilliantly, but I'm glad the evolution is just it shattering its helmet; it works great with what we can assume is a pretty chaotic backstory, and I hope it'll be brought up with Gladion as well.

Here's to hoping it's actually good and learns some fun moves. I'm hoping it learns all manner of moves as it levels up.

Same here. I must admit I would've preferred it with the scary helmet on and the freaky name, since it fit its motif brilliantly, but I'm glad the evolution is just it shattering its helmet; it works great with what we can assume is a pretty chaotic backstory, and I hope it'll be brought up with Gladion as well.

Here's to hoping it's actually good and learns some fun moves. I'm hoping it learns all manner of moves as it levels up.

I'm going to assume it'll learn a good amount of TMs as Normal types tend to do, thankfully.

Plus it's an anti Arceus, I'm going to have a strong guess that it has a good amount of diversity in its movepool. At least I know it'll probably have Poison moves as a ref to the fact its a chimera.

I'm not sure which team I'll finish the main story with (as in, who I'll use to battle the champion or whoever at the end), but the Pokemon I'll be using throughout will still be these atm. Nicknames in parenthesis, still going with the Disney Princess film theme.

- Popplio line (Ariel)

- Lycanroc Midday (Bruno)

- Mudsdale (Philippe)

- Tsareena (Tiana)

- Alolan Ninetales (Elsa)

- Comfey (Moana)

- Pikipek line (Elena)

- Alolan Marowak (Flynn)

- Alolan Raichu (Jaq)

(yeah, I changed my mind a bit on which names to use for a few of these)

EDIT: Oh, if I can catch Buneary, Ponyta, and Blitzle though, I'll be adding them too. XD Ponyta/Rapidash will be named Maximus if that's the case, Buneary/Lopunny will be Aurora, and Zebstrika, I dunno what I'd name it yet.

Edited by Anacybele

As much as I love the Type: Null line, I hope it doesn't end up like Absol. It looks cool, but it was a complete let down when you actually catch and train it.

So, my team so far is Rowlet, the dancer bird, Gumshoos, Tsareena, Alola Muk and that one dragon-type that looks like an old man.

As much as I love the Type: Null line, I hope it doesn't end up like Absol. It looks cool, but it was a complete let down when you actually catch and train it.

So, my team so far is Rowlet, the dancer bird, Gumshoos, Tsareena, Alola Muk and that one dragon-type that looks like an old man.

To be fair, Absol's only real flaw is it's speed. If only it was a little faster, it would a great class cannon.

To be fair, Absol's only real flaw is it's speed. If only it was a little faster, it would a great class cannon.

I honestly think my image of Absol is tainted due to Gen III. It was just... lackluster in-game. Or, at least, it was to my twelve year old brain. Also, it never wanted to stay in the Pokeball for me when I went to catch one and I do not praise Pokemon that do not get in my Pokeballs, damnit.

That said, I still love my two Absol, Dystopia and Danger, that are bred specifically for competitive.

Edited by saisymbolic

Mono-dark is far from being the best typing too. But yeah, Absol was especially poor in gen 3 where it lacked good STABs or more generally something you could consider a good moveset. Gen 6 largely fixed that with a mega evolution and more firepower.

Tiger Mask*

Mudsdale

Kommo-o

Vikavolt*

Crabrawler/Passimian

???

Asterisks are must keeps, others are maybes, want to try and get a feel for most alolan pokemon. Low interest in Togedemaru, Bruxish, Komala, Drampa, and Comfei. No oldies/alolan forms but Alolan Muk is tempting.

Edited by Konnor97

This is probably just me, but am I the only one who tends to really like the second form of a majority starters but feel kind of "meh" about the final evolutions?

i mean of course im not the only person that feels a specific way but still

Edited by saisymbolic

In all my more recent playthoughs of Pokemon I make a rule not to plan my team out. I tend to just catch everything I can and lean towards the stuff that has a good nature for for its role. I think it's more fun to let my team be dictated in that semi random fashions, and it's why I loved the huge regional dex in X/Y.

Having said that, I don't think I could take Rowlet as my starter anymore. Between Tsareena, Lurantis, Alohan Exeggutor, and Morelull there're too many sweet looking Grass types to try out. Rowlets leak evo is probably the least impressive to me. I guess meme owls appeal didn't last.

Choosing between Popplio and Litten will be hard. It's funny because I wasn't fond of Litten at first, but the absurdity of it's potential evo makes it shine. I do genuinely adore the design.

I don't even have a set team anymore. I'd need like, four teams to catch and use everything I want.

Mimikyu is a definite though. It has his own lil' section of my heart.

Same here. Even if I plan to eventually get both versions, it will be tough. I'll try to keep my team diverse, but I have no idea how it'll ends up looking.

God, I love the Cutiefly line.

The Jangmo-o line is pretty good too. Kommo-o is a little overdesigned, but the transition to 3D helped with that a lot.

Silvally has grown on me, and I find its dex description interesting. It's noted that it returns to a wild nature without its helmet, and it's able to smash it at a whim. Yet it will only ever smash its helmet if has a trainer that it trusts That makes me think that it actually knows that hard to control and possibly violent, but without the helmet it's significantly weaker. Looking at it with that in mind, it's trusting the trainer to be able to keep it under control. That's something I find very interesting. Also Silvally grows an extra foot after losing the helmet, and loses 40 pounds. That's pretty darn impressive.

So far my team is: Dartrix, Kommo-o, Silvally, Ribombee, Mimikkyu, and Lycanroc.