Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

Got Solgaleo in the first PokeBall.

[spoiler=MAJOR SPOILERS!]Did anyone else name it Nebby?

[spoiler=Major spoilers]I ended up not naming it Nebby simply because I didn't like the name. Instead, because I am a huge dork, I named it Voltron.

[spoiler=more major post-game spoilers]Thanks to a friend with Moon, I was able to evolve the Cosmog you get into Lunala, who I named Tsukuyomi. I like the design, but for some dumb reason it only learns Confusion and Dream Eater naturally; I had to teach it Psychic via TM.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got my copy already yay!

Just started the game and I'm already rigging Rowlet's nature. The best I've got so far is Impish with perfect defense because Mild, Sassy and Naive are terrible ~

I got Calm, and my Rowlet was able to tank and dish out decent damage. Trust me when I say that nature isn't hugely important.

also, i'm fairly certain you didn't understand hau's character if you think that he's living for good vibes or whatever

hau basically has crippling depression because of hala and that's his coping mechanism. the only one who notices before a certain point is gladion, who ends up causing hau to actually grow

You're wrong. Until you stop making absolute statements and start backing up your claims with assertions, that's all you're getting out of me.

---

Tried Wonder Trade for a while. I kept getting Abras, one of which was Adamant/Inner Focus. Best thing I got IMO was a Magnemite. Festival Plaza's pretty fun, and I found a dye shop from Sun that I really like, so I was able to update my wardrobe.

I think I'm going to donate all of my money to the clothes shops. There's a LOT of pretty shirts out there!

Edited by eggclipse

I didn't dislike her then either, I thought she was rather adorable. Though I might've gotten tired of that myself had it continued for any longer than it did. :P

While I really liked Lillie's character development, I feel like it was a bit too much too quickly. That, and she repeats a few lines multiple times, and it's the standard "wow, Pokémon and their trainers are aaawesome! They can accomplish anything!"

Still one of the better characters in the series though. I liked her both before and after her little transformation

Got Solgaleo in the first PokeBall.

I'll pretend I also did that and didn't use my Master Ball after three unfortunate crits and one realization that Golisopod's ability works in wild battles as well.

Edited by Thane

So I just found out that you can battle the Trial Captains, but Kiawe's battle is exclusive to Sun and Mallow's battle is exclusive to Moon.

What's really interesting about this is not the battle themselves, but the story you learn from them. Kiawe's story in particular is rather sad and, in a way, realistic.

Here are the videos, for those who can't battle Kiawe because they have Moon and for those who can't battle Mallow because they have Sun:

EDIT: These videos are from the pirated version, so there are some Pokemon that shouldn't be there.

What also caught my attention was Mallow's story.

c00.png

According to her, all Trial Captains have to be below 20 years, and when they reach 20, they have to stop being Captains.

It certainly explains why Guzma and Kukui can't be Captains anymore. It also explains why all of the Trial Captains are so young.

It's a small thing, but it's also very nice bit of world building. Fire Emblem Fates could learn from that. It's those little details that makes the world interesting.

I just realized that I just caused Serenes's Law by talking about you know what. I'm sure Thane would have something to say about this.

Edited by Water Mage

Haven't quite gotten to buying my copy of Sun yet, but could someone please tell me one thing,

How late does Vulpix show up?

A tad late, it's on the third island, Vulpix can first be caught before the Ghost Trial, so if you're about to do the Ghost Trial, that means Vulpix is near.

Vulpix can first be in a place called Tapu Village, but it's a rather rare encounter. It's also not a snowy place, so you might think that Ice types don't appear there, but they do.

They earliest levels Vulpix will be when you can first catch it is between levels 28 and 31.

It's a small thing, but it's also very nice bit of world building. Fire Emblem Fates could learn from that. It's those little details that makes the world interesting.

I've thought the same, especially since this is marketed to kids, which Fates wasn't, yet it still has such a superior worldbuilding, even better than a game that was supposed to be about the conflict between two countries.

My favorite example of how the writing here knocks Fates' out of the park is [spoiler=late game story spoilers]when Lillie talks about a good memory about Lusamine, and how happy they were together. I instantly thought about how nothing of the sort was mentioned about Garon, only Xander's vague lines about him having changed. Their resolution is also far more satisfying, even if the plot slows down towards the end.

I've thought the same, especially since this is marketed to kids, which Fates wasn't, yet it still has such a superior worldbuilding, even better than a game that was supposed to be about the conflict between two countries.

My favorite example of how the writing here knocks Fates' out of the park is [spoiler=late game story spoilers]when Lillie talks about a good memory about Lusamine, and how happy they were together. I instantly thought about how nothing of the sort was mentioned about Garon, only Xander's vague lines about him having changed. Their resolution is also far more satisfying, even if the plot slows down towards the end.

To be honest, world building is one of Pokemon strongest points in my opinion, especially in recents.

Game Freak goes out of their way to make every region feel unique, and they even explain the origins of places and cities, legends and customs and or why certain Pokemon can be found in a certain.

For example, they explain the backstory of Pacifidlog, say it's built over groups of Corsola, and they originally settled in the middle of the sea because they were searching for something.

Another example is how Driftveil was a small town, but Clay helped it prosper.

There are other good examples as well, and they all help make the Pokemon feel like an actual place.

Edited by Water Mage

So I just found out that you can battle the Trial Captains, but Kiawe's battle is exclusive to Sun and Mallow's battle is exclusive to Moon.

What's really interesting about this is not the battle themselves, but the story you learn from them. Kiawe's story in particular is rather sad and, in a way, realistic.

Here are the videos, for those who can't battle Kiawe because they have Moon and for those who can't battle Mallow because they have Sun:

EDIT: These videos are from the pirated version, so there are some Pokemon that shouldn't be there.

What also caught my attention was Mallow's story.c00.png

According to her, all Trial Captains have to be below 20 years, and when they reach 20, they have to stop being Captains.

It certainly explains why Guzma and Kukui can't be Captains anymore. It also explains why all of the Trial Captains are so young.

It's a small thing, but it's also very nice bit of world building. Fire Emblem Fates could learn from that. It's those little details that makes the world interesting.I just realized that I just caused Serenes's Law by talking about you know what. I'm sure Thane would have something to say about this.

20!? What is this, the Logan's Run of the Pokémon world? I know there have been gym leaders well above 20, like Blaine. Why is Alola discriminatory against old people? It's just trying to make me feel bad for being 30, isn't it?

20!? What is this, the Logan's Run of the Pokémon world? I know there have been gym leaders well above 20, like Blaine. Why is Alola discriminatory against old people? It's just trying to make me feel bad for being 30, isn't it?

I think it's to encourage young people to be involved with the native culture. Just a theory though.

Hah hah hah.

Did a quick stint in the Battle Tree and ran into a preschooler with an Exploud. With fire blast. What happened was straight out of Chuggaaconroy's Platinum LP: it missed three times in a row.

How old are the protagonists supposed to be in Sun/Moon? They definitely look older than 10, maybe early teens?

It's explicably stated that the player and Hau are eleven, or around that age.

So now that I've completed the UB quest and caught the secret legendary, here's a complete list of new (Sun and Moon introduced) Pokémon by type. Once again, Silvally only counts as a Normal type. Bewear of spoilers.

Normal: Pikipek, Trumbeak, Toucannon, Yungoos, Gumshoos, Stufful, Bewear, Oranguru, Type: Null, Silvally, Komala, Drampa (Rattata, Raticate) 12 (14)

Fire: Litten, Torracat, Incineroar, Oricorio, Salandit, Salazzle, Turtonator (Marowak) 7 (8)

Fighting: Crabbrawler, Crabominable, Stufful, Bewear, Passimian, Hakamo-o, Kommo-o, Buzzwole, Pheromosa 9

Water: Popplio, Brionne, Primarina, Wishiwashi, Mareanie, Toxapex, Dewpider, Araquanid, Wimpod, Golisopod, Pyukumuku, Bruxish, Tapu Fini 13

Flying: Rowlet, Dartrix, Pikipek, Trumbeak, Toucannon, Oricorio, Minior, Celesteela 8

Grass: Rowlet, Dartrix, Decidueye, Fomantis, Lurantis, Morelull, Shiinotic, Bousweet, Steenee, Tsareena, Dhelmise, Tapu Bulu, Kartana (Exeggutor) 13 (14)

Poison: Mareanie, Toxapex, Salandit, Salazzle, Nihilego (Grimer, Muk) 5 (7)

Electric: Charjabug, Vikavolt, Oricorio, Togedemaru, Tapu Koko, Xerkitree (Raichu, Geodude, Graveler, Golem) 6 (10)

Ground: Mudbray, Mudsdale, Sandygast, Palossand (Diglett, Dugtrio) 4 (6)

Psychic: Oricorio, Oranguru, Bruxish, Tapu Lele, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma (Raichu) 9 (10)

Rock: Rockruff, Lycanroc, Minior, Nihilego (Geodude, Graveler, Golem) 4 (7)

Ice: Crabominable (Sandshrew, Sandslash, Vulpix, Ninetales) 1 (5)

Bug: Grubbin, Charjabug, Vikavolt, Cutiefly, Ribombee, Dewpider, Araquanid, Wimpod, Golisopod, Buzzwole, Pheromosa 11

Dragon: Turtonator, Drampa, Jangmo-o, Hakamo-o, Kommo-o, Guzzlord (Exeggutor) 6 (7)

Ghost: Decidueye, Oricorio, Sandygast, Palossand, Mimikyu, Dhelmise, Lunala (Marowak) 7 (8)

Dark: Incineroar, Guzzlord (Rattata, Raticate, Meowth, Persian, Grimer, Muk) 2 (8)

Steel: Togedemaru, Solgaleo, Celesteela, Kartana, Magearna (Sandshrew, Sandslash, Diglett, Dugtrio) 5 (9)

Fairy: Primarina, Cutiefly, Ribombee, Morelull, Shiinotic, Comfey, Mimikyu, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini, Magearna (Ninetales) 12 (13)

The currently unrevealed Mythical Pokémon is

Fighting/Ghost type, so the final tally is actually 10 for Fighting and 8 (9) for Ghost.

Edited by Lightchao42

How old are the protagonists supposed to be in Sun/Moon? They definitely look older than 10, maybe early teens?

11. From the game itself. Kinda frustrating after having PCs that looked like teenagers in BW and XY.

Lillie and Gladion seem to be early teens, for what that's worth.

11. From the game itself. Kinda frustrating after having PCs that looked like teenagers in BW and XY.

I agree. It surprised me they didn't even try to make it ambiguous, especially since the average Pokémon player is considerably older, if memory serves.

It's explicably stated that the player and Hau are eleven.

So now that I've completed the UB quest and caught the secret legendary, here's a complete list of new (Sun and Moon introduced) Pokémon by type. Once again, Silvally only counts as a Normal type. Bewear of spoilers.

Normal: Pikipek, Trumbeak, Toucannon, Yungoos, Gumshoos, Stufful, Bewear, Oranguru, Type: Null, Silvally, Komala, Drampa (Rattata, Raticate) 12 (14)

Fire: Litten, Torracat, Incineroar, Oricorio, Salandit, Salazzle, Turtonator (Marowak) 7 (8)

Fighting: Crabbrawler, Crabominable, Stufful, Bewear, Passimian, Hakamo-o, Kommo-o, Buzzwole, Pheromosa 9

Water: Popplio, Brionne, Primarina, Wishiwashi, Mareanie, Toxapex, Dewpider, Araquanid, Wimpod, Golisopod, Pyukumuku, Bruxish, Tapu Fini 13

Flying: Rowlet, Dartrix, Pikipek, Trumbeak, Toucannon, Oricorio, Minior, Celesteela 8

Grass: Rowlet, Dartrix, Decidueye, Fomantis, Lurantis, Morelull, Shiinotic, Bousweet, Steenee, Tsareena, Dhelmise, Tapu Bulu, Kartana (Exeggutor) 13 (14)

Poison: Mareanie, Toxapex, Salandit, Salazzle, Nihilego (Grimer, Muk) 5 (7)

Electric: Charjabug, Vikavolt, Oricorio, Togedemaru, Tapu Koko, Xerkitree (Raichu, Geodude, Graveler, Golem) 6 (10)

Ground: Mudbray, Mudsdale, Sandygast, Palossand (Diglett, Dugtrio) 4 (6)

Psychic: Oricorio, Oranguru, Bruxish, Tapu Lele, Cosmog, Cosmoem, Solgaleo, Lunala, Necrozma (Raichu) 9 (10)

Rock: Rockruff, Lycanroc, Minior, Nihilego (Geodude, Graveler, Golem) 4 (7)

Ice: Crabominable (Sandshrew, Sandslash, Vulpix, Ninetales) 1 (5)

Bug: Grubbin, Charjabug, Vikavolt, Cutiefly, Ribombee, Dewpider, Araquanid, Wimpod, Golisopod, Buzzwole, Pheromosa 11

Dragon: Turtonator, Drampa, Jangmo-o, Hakamo-o, Kommo-o, Guzzlord (Exeggutor) 6 (7)

Ghost: Decidueye, Oricorio, Sandygast, Palossand, Mimikyu, Dhelmise, Lunala (Marowak) 7 (8)

Dark: Incineroar, Guzzlord (Rattata, Raticate, Meowth, Persian, Grimer, Muk) 2 (8)

Steel: Togedemaru, Solgaleo, Celesteela, Kartana, Magearna (Sandshrew, Sandslash, Diglett, Dugtrio) 5 (9)

Fairy: Primarina, Cutiefly, Ribombee, Morelull, Shiinotic, Comfey, Mimikyu, Tapu Koko, Tapu Lele, Tapu Bulu, Tapu Fini, Magearna (Ninetales) 12 (13)

The currently unrevealed Mythical Pokémon is

Fighting/Ghost type, so the final tally is actually 10 for Fighting and 8 (9) for Ghost.

Lillie and Gladion seem to be early teens, for what that's worth.

The certainly look and act older than that. I was thinking at least 13-14.

So, I got an Adamant Tapu Fini and a Brave Tapu Lele. I think that just about summarizes my luck with natures in Pokémon.

How long did it take you though?

Because I tried to get an Adamant Solgaleo, and god damn it if it wasnt one of the longest struggles. I was starting to hate the game for making me capture him

How long did it take you though?

Because I tried to get an Adamant Solgaleo, and god damn it if it wasnt one of the longest struggles. I was starting to hate the game for making me capture him

I got a Timid Solgaleo.

You know, I regret saving now; even though I tend to avoid using such Pokémon, my collection feels incomplete with inferior 'mons in it. At least the IV's are awesome, although I guess that doesn't matter in a game where you can fix that too, although I don't see myself training Pokémon to level 100 unless I discover a quick and easy way to do so.

It might a cultural thing, a rite of passage of sorts similar to the Island Challenge.

It may also be that unlike being a Gym Leader, being Trial Captain doesn't seem to be a full-fledged job. It doesn't pay and it seems to be voluntary. If watch Kiawe's video you will that he worked part-time at the megamarket.

Adults might not have the time to be a Trial Captain.

Or it's just that any fictional character over the age of 18 in Japanese entertainment media is ancient.

Actually, I think Pokemon actually averts this.

It's cast is very diverse when it comes to age.

Edited by Water Mage