Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, aftergame takes a ton of time if you care about Natures etc.

Without a Synchronizer, I have to keep SRing to both catch the UBs AND get good natures. I was lucky with Buzzwole (Adamant and Careful), and I messed up Nihilego with Modest (I wanted Calm more, and I mistakenly thought there were 2 of them), but Xurkitree just doesn't want to give me ANYTHING good. Bold, Calm or Modest is my aim, but it isn't happening. It's also strong as hell, so that's a problem. Zygarde can only take so many Power Whips before falling.

Xurk might be the only one I don't at least attempt to use ball that isn't the Beast Ball on. It's just a pain.

Kartana will be easy thanks to that 255 catch rate, so I can probably catch them in Premier Balls like I wanted, and Guzzlord might be easier to tank with Solgaleo/Zygarde/Toxapex, so it'll probably take up the Ultra Ball slot that Xurkitree was going to fill.

After that, I'll probably get a few Synchronizers for the Tapus. Lele will be the only one I go for atm, but Koko and Bulu will be next on my hit list.

Still thinking on natures though. For Lele I have Modest on my radar for now, but Timid is a good option too.

Koko is definitely Timid, and Bulu is probably Adamant, but I think Impish or Careful could be good options on tankier builds. Guess I'll have to decide once I actually put it in a team.

Fini is probably the one I care least about, and also the one that I don't know what to do with. I'll probably get it eventually, but not until I need it.

Yeah the 'victory road' is very empty, though it is partly because it is so new. Either way, made me sad cause i needed to level up my team and it took a while to do so.

Also Solgaleo's catch rate is 45, which is great for soft-resetting.

I think Poni Canyon is the equivalent Victory Road. Either way, those Absol are annoying to deal with tbh. Sucker Punch and hard to one-shot if you're not using Super-Effective moves.

Really? I've been overleveled ever since arriving at Poni Island. lol My team is in the mid-late lv. 50s.

Whaaaaat? Are you using the EXP Share? I only grinded twice my whole time playing, after the Ghost trial to ~36 and before the League to ~52. I believe I was around 40-43 when I got to Poni Island, and I managed to scrape through.

Edited by Emerson

Yeah, I used the Exp. Share as much as I could after I was finding the early game really challenging. I only turned it off to let Pokemon I just caught and wanted to add to my team to catch up to the rest in level. And after that, I turned it back on.

Edited by Anacybele

How hard is it to change it to 31 IV functionally? Is it ridiculously time consuming, or can it be feasibly grinded for?

Basically what Hyper Training does is it makes the stat function as a 31 IV in battle but not in breeding.

I don't know how else to put it.

Yeah, I used the Exp. Share as much as I could after I was finding the early game really challenging. I only turned it off to let Pokemon I just caught and wanted to add to my team to catch up to the rest in level. And after that, I turned it back on.

Ah, well that totally explains it. I doubt would've made it so long into the game without the EXP Share if Z-Moves weren't so broken and spamable in the early game.

[spoiler=TLDR my team was kinda weak for a very long time]

Not to mention my team comp was a bit... shakey. Everyone on the team had very long periods of "meh" at some point in time.

Torracat had an inaccurate and weakish STAB move forever.

Misdreavus had no special STAB move forever.

Cutiefly is super weak until it gets Pollen Puff at evolution and even then its SpA is only ok.

Munchlax is slow as hell and it's amazing Z-Move is kinda late-game (but Metronome was fun) although it evolved early (Lv. 14 or so) so it was overall the best. Oh, it also only had Normal moves for a VERY long time, so it couldn't deal with Ghost types, but thankfully Misdreavus has good SpD.

Mareanie is EXTREMELY weak until evolution, and even then it's HP is super low and it can't tank too well without constant item spam.

And finally, I forgot Rufflet evolved so late, and I ditched it for Aerodactyl. Which was actually a great decision, as Stone Edge was very needed.

Ah, well that totally explains it. I doubt would've made it so long into the game without the EXP Share if Z-Moves weren't so broken and spamable in the early game.

[spoiler=TLDR my team was kinda weak for a very long time]

Not to mention my team comp was a bit... shakey. Everyone on the team had very long periods of "meh" at some point in time.

Torracat had an inaccurate and weakish STAB move forever.

Misdreavus had no special STAB move forever.

Cutiefly is super weak until it gets Pollen Puff at evolution and even then its SpA is only ok.

Munchlax is slow as hell and it's amazing Z-Move is kinda late-game (but Metronome was fun) although it evolved early (Lv. 14 or so) so it was overall the best. Oh, it also only had Normal moves for a VERY long time, so it couldn't deal with Ghost types, but thankfully Misdreavus has good SpD.

Mareanie is EXTREMELY weak until evolution, and even then it's HP is super low and it can't tank too well without constant item spam.

And finally, I forgot Rufflet evolved so late, and I ditched it for Aerodactyl. Which was actually a great decision, as Stone Edge was very needed.

Yeah, my Alolan Marowak was meh for awhile too because of a lack of STAB moves. Then I found the Flame Charge TM and gave it that. Then it later got Flare Blitz which was nice. Now I just need to find a Heart Scale to get it Shadow Bone.

Everyone else I used was pretty good, even the Pokemon I boxed after a time (Lycanroc, Toucannon, and most recently, Alolan Raichu. I was going to keep Raichu on the team, but I decided it wouldn't have felt right to stick Solgaleo in the box after the touching scenes it has with Lillie and your character). Primarina, Mudsdale, Alolan Ninetales, Tsareena, and Solgaleo have been great.

wait i thought paralysis always halved speed

According to serebii it reduced Spe up to 25% its original stat.

Also, finally got my Adamant Rowlet, it is really cool and I'm fine with it. Although I've always had fast starters so I feel kinda awkward with slowpokes. And since slow is the Gen VII mode I'm going for my Slowpoke!

Edited by Quintessence

I think all I need to do before beating the game is to fight the Elite Four. I got a lonely Solgaleo the first time around with a Master Ball.

So I finally got my Sun few days ago, on the European delayed release date (yes I'm salty about that :P:). I'm loving the setting and like what I've seen of story and characters this far. Just started water trial and my team is around lvl 20-23.

I'm somewhat struggling to form my team though. I'm not finding the mons I really wanted to use, while finding a bunch of potential replacements I can't choose between. I've been switching my team members around a lot since I can't really choose who I like.

Currently my team consists of Brionne, Growlithe, Mudbray, Rockruff, Misdreavus and Charjabug. The first three are keepers while the last three are placeholders until I find a Vulpix and a grass type I like (and maybe Cubone, though I'm not sure about that one).

On that note, I would like some advice.

How do Lurantis and Tsareena compare? Would like to use one of them but can't really decide which. Or I've got a Cottonee sitting in box if that's a better alternative.

Also, since I apparently suck at figuring team balance in pokemon, does my team (current or planned) have an obvious weakness I should fix ASAP to not get my butt handed to me during story mode?

So how about that Nugget Bridge clone in Maile City?

How do Lurantis and Tsareena compare? Would like to use one of them but can't really decide which. Or I've got a Cottonee sitting in box if that's a better alternative.

Also, since I apparently suck at figuring team balance in pokemon, does my team (current or planned) have an obvious weakness I should fix ASAP to not get my butt handed to me during story mode?

Tsareena outclasses Lurantis is basically everything

So I finally got my Sun few days ago, on the European delayed release date (yes I'm salty about that :P:). I'm loving the setting and like what I've seen of story and characters this far. Just started water trial and my team is around lvl 20-23.

I'm somewhat struggling to form my team though. I'm not finding the mons I really wanted to use, while finding a bunch of potential replacements I can't choose between. I've been switching my team members around a lot since I can't really choose who I like.

Currently my team consists of Brionne, Growlithe, Mudbray, Rockruff, Misdreavus and Charjabug. The first three are keepers while the last three are placeholders until I find a Vulpix and a grass type I like (and maybe Cubone, though I'm not sure about that one).

On that note, I would like some advice.

For a Grass type, I would say Tsareena.

I used Lurantis in my game and regretted it. It has nice Attack and a nice movepool. But it's slow. I used slow Pokemon before, such as Slowking and Snorlax, but Lurantis doesn't have what it takes to make up for slow speed.

Fomantis only evolve into Lurantis at Level 34 during daytime. And Fomantis is rather weak.

On the other hand Bounsweet evolves at level 18 into Steenee and Steenee evolves into Tsareena when it learns Stomp. And Stenee learns Stomp at level 29.

It's not that Lurantis is a bad Pokemon, it's just very hard to use.

Edited by Water Mage

Lurantis may be slow, but most new Pokémon in Sun and Moon are unusually slow, with exceptions. This video sums it up well.

I just used whatever I liked, so my entire team is slow except for Salazzle. Well, I suppose that Primarina and Toucannon may be fast by Alolan standards...

Edited by Lightchao42

So how about that Nugget Bridge clone in Maile City?

I enjoyed it. It was a nice callback to RBY.

So, I tried the Battle Tree. Unfortunately, like most of the post-game BP facilities, it's full of cheap random BS, and I was only able to get three battles in before losing.

I also re-challenged the Elite Four, and...

Hau ended up being my first challenger for my Champion title, which was fitting. Unfortunately his team was much the same as when he last challenged me plus a few levels, and so he went down without much difficulty.

Lurantis may be slow, but pretty much every new Pokémon in Sun and Moon is slow. Except Salazzle, maybe, and some legendaries. This video sums it up well.

Mimikyu, Comfey, Oricorio, Ribombee, both forms of Lycanroc, Silvally, Bruxish, Passimian, and Togedemaru all have over 80 Base Speed. Really, this whole "all the new Pokemon are slow!" is just people exaggerating.

Edited by AzureSen

Lurantis may be slow, but pretty much every new Pokémon in Sun and Moon is slow. Except Salazzle, maybe, and some legendaries. This video sums it up well.

I just used whatever I liked, so my entire team is slow except for Salazzle. Well, I suppose that Primarina and Toucannon may be fast by Alolan standards...

It is true that most Alola Pokemon are slow, but Lurantis has a middling speed even by Alola standards! It's base speed is a measly 45!

And besides it's speed isn't it's only problem. The other one is that it takes a long time to evolve, and it's pre-evolution Fomantis, is rather weak.

Edited by Water Mage

Haha, I was waiting for someone to complain about his Raichu
It's definitely the thing that caught me off guard when I first fought it.

I took my ultra beasts to the battle tree and managed to clear it..., so... take that what you will...

I just wanted to get ev training items so I can actually do it legit later.

Mimikyu, Comfey, Oricorio, Rimobee, both forms of Lycanroc, Silvally, Bruxish, Passimian, and Togedemaru all have over 80 Base Speed. Really, this whole "all the new Pokemon are slow!" is just people exaggerating.

My mistake. I suppose that part of the "everything is slow" thing is that people expected most new Pokémon to be faster, even if a good portion of them are rather lacking in speed. But it also introduced the third fastest Pokémon in existence... The fact that the fastest starter (Decidueye) has a speed of 70 when it looks fairly speedy might have something to do with it.

Also Hau's Raichu is bullshit. It's so strong.

Many members of my team fell to Raichu's dreaded Psychic spam. Alola's lack of diversity in typing especially hurts here because the only new (pre-postgame) Dark-type is Incineroar, which you probably won't have by the time you fight Raichu for the first time.

Edited by Lightchao42

Mimikyu, Comfey, Oricorio, Ribombee, both forms of Lycanroc, Silvally, Bruxish, Passimian, and Togedemaru all have over 80 Base Speed. Really, this whole "all the new Pokemon are slow!" is just people exaggerating.

Hope many of those Pokes are actually good though?

Like 4

My mistake. I suppose that part of the "everything is slow" thing is that people expected most new Pokémon to be faster, even if a good portion of them are rather lacking in speed. But it also introduced the third fastest Pokémon in existence... The fact that the fastest starter (Decidueye) has a speed of 70 when it looks fairly speedy might have something to do with it.

Honestly, it probably doesn't help that Gen VI's new Pokemon as a whole skewed pretty fast, as you can see in this comparison of all of the Base Speeds of fully-evolved Pokemon, Pokemon who don't evolve, and alternate forms from those two Gens:

[spoiler=Kalos Pokemon Base Speeds]20s: Avalugg

30s: Aromatisse

40s: Dragalge

50s: Pangoro, Clawitzer, Aurorus, Carbink, Trevenant, Gourgeist (super)

60s: Chesnaught, Gogoat, Aegislash, Barbaracle, Sylveon, Gourgeist (large)

70s: Diggersby, Florges, Slurpuff, Malamar, Tyrantrum, Klefki

80s: Vivilion, Goodra, Gourgeist (average)

90s: Gourgeist (small)

100s: Delphox, Pyroar, Furfrou, Mewostic, Heliolisk, Dedenne

110s: Hawlucha

120s: Greninja, Talonflame, Noivern

[spoiler=Alola Pokemon Base Speeds]under 10: Pyukumuku

30s: Wishiwashi (school), Toxapex, Mudsdale, Shiinotic, Palossand, Turtonator, Drampa

40s: Gumshoos, Vikavolt, Crabominable, Wishiwashi (single), Araquanid, Lurantis, Golisopod, Dhelmise

60s: Incineroar, Primanara, Toucannon, Bewear, Oranguru, Minior (Shell), Komala

70s: Decidueye, Tsareena

80s: Midnight Lycanroc, Passimian, Kommo-o

90s: Oricorio, Togedemaru, Mimikyu, Bruxish

100s: Comfey

110s: Midday Lycanroc, Salazzle

120s: Ribombee, Minior (Core)

I didn't include the legendaries for obvious reasons, and I didn't include pre-evolutions so as to not skew the data.

Many members of my team fell to Raichu's dreaded Psychic spam. Alola's lack of diversity in typing especially hurts here because the only new (pre-postgame) Dark-type is Incineroar, which you probably won't have by the time you fight Raichu for the first time.

I don't remember having trouble against Hau's Raichu when it first showed up, but conversely I don't remember when he first evolved it, so.

So I got my gift of Pokemon Moon. It's essentially a Rowlet solo until I get to the Melemele Meadow. Aughguhguhg

Pokemon Moon: You can't spell Alola without lol

So, I tried the Battle Tree. Unfortunately, like most of the post-game BP facilities, it's full of cheap random BS, and I was only able to get three battles in before losing.

I was able to put in a seven win streak without much difficulty before deciding to end it there. I was under the impression that it didn't really "get real" until after a 20 win streak (like the Maison).

I also kinda don't see how it's "cheap". Random, certainly, but if you were fighting real people online it would be much the same- you can't plan for every eventuality, and somebody's going to have a non-standard set or whatever that counters your team.

I think the biggest issue is that it's 3v3, really. 6v6 would allow for complete teams, so you don't have near as many instances where one fight you sweep through everything and the next you get walled hard/swept in return.

I think all I need to do before beating the game is to fight the Elite Four. I got a lonely Solgaleo the first time around with a Master Ball.

You won't go after UBs? I still need a trade partner for the Sun exclusives.

By the time you get to Malie City, where you face A-Raichu for the first time, you get access to plentiful of dark types: A-Ratata/Raticate, A-Meowth/Persian, A-Grimer/Muk, Sableye, Umbreon and Vullaby if you have moon. And for the Umbreon, you can skip the process of raising the happiness of Eevee, since one can appear via SOS during the night (I found and caught an Espeon that way). So there's definitely more than just Incineroar before that point of the game.

You won't go after UBs? I still need a trade partner for the Sun exclusives.

I'll go after them for sure, lol, I was just talking about main game. Aren't the UBs postgame?

Late, but I did use Lurantis for my team, and its the bulky, slow glacier Grass type I wanted on my team(Decidueye as a physical/special attacker) and giving it Leech Life/Leaf Blade/X-Scissor/Solar Blade + Big Root really did do me wonders, and Bounsweet isn't my cup of tea when it comes to Grass types, so I guess there's my bias. Really did round out my team so A+