Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

By the time you get to Malie City, where you face A-Raichu for the first time, you get access to plentiful of dark types: A-Ratata/Raticate, A-Meowth/Persian, A-Grimer/Muk, Sableye, Umbreon and Vullaby if you have moon. And for the Umbreon, you can skip the process of raising the happiness of Eevee, since one can appear via SOS during the night (I found and caught an Espeon that way). So there's definitely more than just Incineroar before that point of the game.

Perhaps I worded my statement wrongly; of course Incineroar isn't the only Dark-type available at that point, but when I referred to "Alola's lack of type diversity," I was referring to Alola's lack of diversity for new Pokémon, Dark-types in particular (though Ice has it worse). If someone only wanted to use newly introduced Pokémon (like I did), there are only two (eight counting Alolan forms) new Dark-types, one of which is postgame exclusive. Of course, one could catch a Dark-type specifically to deal with Raichu, but not everyone will do that.

I'll go after them for sure, lol, I was just talking about main game. Aren't the UBs postgame?

Yes, they are; you gain access to their quest as soon as the postgame starts.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dark isn't Raichu's only weakness, you know... There's also Ground, Ghost, and probably Bug too. I did have trouble with it the first time Hau used it, but that was only because it caught me by complete surprise. I didn't actually think he'd have evolved his Pikachu that quickly. But after that I had no problem using Mudsdale or Marowak's Ground moves to beat it.

And there are non-Dark type Pokemon that know Dark type moves too.

Edited by Anacybele

So for those that have used one, how is Golisopod? I was interested in using it, but ended up not, partly out of concern for it's ability seeming rather suspect, and partly because I ended up picking Popplio, and didn't want an overlap on Water types. Did it's ability prove to be easy enough to work around, and did it's good bulk and First Impression make up for it's poor speed?

I've seen posts saying that repeatedly teaching TMs to pokémon can help increase their happiness, but I've been doing so with an A-Meowth for 15 minutes and the happiness checker hasn't changed her comment: ("Hmmm... I’d say that you and your Pokémon still have a long way to go.") at all.

Is this a a rumor started to make people lose their time on teaching pokémon TM or does it work, but it's just a slow process?

Perhaps I worded my statement wrongly; of course Incineroar isn't the only Dark-type available at that point, but when I referred to "Alola's lack of type diversity," I was referring to Alola's lack of diversity for new Pokémon, Dark-types in particular (though Ice has it worse). If someone only wanted to use newly introduced Pokémon (like I did), there are only two (eight counting Alolan forms) new Dark-types, one of which is postgame exclusive. Of course, one could catch a Dark-type specifically to deal with Raichu, but not everyone will do that.

Oh I thought that was maybe what you meant but I was unsure.

Yeah, I used the Exp. Share as much as I could after I was finding the early game really challenging. I only turned it off to let Pokemon I just caught and wanted to add to my team to catch up to the rest in level. And after that, I turned it back on.

Yeah i refused to use EXP share, until i got very behind (almost 7 levels).

So for those that have used one, how is Golisopod? I was interested in using it, but ended up not, partly out of concern for it's ability seeming rather suspect, and partly because I ended up picking Popplio, and didn't want an overlap on Water types. Did it's ability prove to be easy enough to work around, and did it's good bulk and First Impression make up for it's poor speed?

First impression is probably the easiest way to deal with fragile psychic mons like Alolan Raichu. The ability hurts it but you can use it to help give someone a free swich in. It's cannon fodder that doesn't actually die. Try not to put Golisopod in the lead when catching Pokémon.

For a Grass type, I would say Tsareena.

I used Lurantis in my game and regretted it. It has nice Attack and a nice movepool. But it's slow. I used slow Pokemon before, such as Slowking and Snorlax, but Lurantis doesn't have what it takes to make up for slow speed.

Fomantis only evolve into Lurantis at Level 34 during daytime. And Fomantis is rather weak.

On the other hand Bounsweet evolves at level 18 into Steenee and Steenee evolves into Tsareena when it learns Stomp. And Stenee learns Stomp at level 29.

It's not that Lurantis is a bad Pokemon, it's just very hard to use.

Late, but I did use Lurantis for my team, and its the bulky, slow glacier Grass type I wanted on my team(Decidueye as a physical/special attacker) and giving it Leech Life/Leaf Blade/X-Scissor/Solar Blade + Big Root really did do me wonders, and Bounsweet isn't my cup of tea when it comes to Grass types, so I guess there's my bias. Really did round out my team so A+

Thanks for the input guys! (everyone I didn't quote included)

Sounds like I'll want Tsareena since I'm already going to have a couple of bulkier mons in Mudsdale and Primarina and I feel like like my team could use a more offensive mon to just take out things.

Will use Cottonee before I get a Bounsweet though, especially on that water trial.

I just used whatever I liked, so my entire team is slow except for Salazzle. Well, I suppose that Primarina and Toucannon may be fast by Alolan standards...

I just want to point out that I do this too, but I couldn't choose between two things I liked.

Incidentally, I wanted to use Salandit but I love Arcanine too much not to use it so that became my main fire type. Though maybe I'll try out the little lizard before I get Cubone since marowak would be another fire type anyways

Thanks for the input guys! (everyone I didn't quote included)

Sounds like I'll want Tsareena since I'm already going to have a couple of bulkier mons in Mudsdale and Primarina and I feel like like my team could use a more offensive mon to just take out things.

Will use Cottonee before I get a Bounsweet though, especially on that water trial.

I just want to point out that I do this too, but I couldn't choose between two things I liked.

Incidentally, I wanted to use Salandit but I love Arcanine too much not to use it so that became my main fire type. Though maybe I'll try out the little lizard before I get Cubone since marowak would be another fire type anyways

Actually, you can get a Bounsweet before the water trial in a in-game trade in Route 5. It even has a great nature for it, but it won't get the Queenly Majesty ability when it evolves to Tsareena because it has Leaf Guard. To get a Tsareena with Quesnly Majesty, Bounsweet's ability must be Oblivious.

Have progressed a bit since I go baby steps.

Caught my Slowpoke and it ended up really good. Female, Relaxed nature, Good perseverance AND holding a Lagging Tail. Quite the luck there! Trained her a bit until lv. 11 and went to the lab and then the School.

I love the game so far, it is vivid and refreshing. Rowlet and Slowpoke already have 2 hearts and they are getting a boosted EXP, so I'm happy. The characters are really nice too.

Also, if you want to see the epitome of beauty and awesomeness then watch a battle of two Slowpokes, yawning, growling and cursing at each other.

It's really cool how the Move Relearner can also teach moves a pokemon hasn't learned yet. Like, I'm not gonna get Araquanid to level 57 before the League. Or like how Incineroar is not gonna wait to level 55 to get a decent Fire move to replace Fire Fang.

I found a Heart Scale while doing some fishing, I want to say it was route 5 where I got it, just randomly pulled one up. Not sure if they're pretty rare since I haven't found another one since but I'd guess it would work as just a random chance when fishing anywhere.

You can also get Heart Scales by eating at restaurants. I know I've gotten 2-4 depending on what meals I've eaten(not the battle buffet, mind), so you might wanna give that a try.

Edit: It seems that you're gonna get two of them most of the time, I got 4 only the once, and it was in an event. [spoiler=Event]I was eating in Mallow's restaurant, and Olivia showed up, paid for my meal, and then gave me the scales for the both of us. Basically a swanky dinner date lmao. It happened after I beat the E4 so I don't know if it was a one-off event or if it just happened randomly, but it was pretty neat

Edited by Ether

I see, thanks! I should try that first since it seems more likely to give me Heart Scales than random fishing.

EDIT: Huh, I got four Heart Scales on my first go (went to the restaurant in Malie City). No event or anything. You sure it's rare? Or did I just get crazy lucky?

Edited by Anacybele

I couldn't say for sure, I went to look up if it was specific restaurants, and most people seemed to say that they were always getting two. Maybe it does differ depending on what meal you buy(or you could just get 4 the first time you eat at a particular restaurant, also possible)

I see, thanks! I should try that first since it seems more likely to give me Heart Scales than random fishing.

EDIT: Huh, I got four Heart Scales on my first go (went to the restaurant in Malie City). No event or anything. You sure it's rare? Or did I just get crazy lucky?

I think Malie city always gives 4 (1000/scale)

I have been there twice now, maybe i will test the other two meals, and repeat the one i have already gotten.

Edit: First time Ronin gave me a special event, got 8 heart scales! A second time just gave me four.

I tried samurai set again, it gave me 4 as well (had tried it yesterday). Tried it again right after and it gave me 4 heart scales, so it seems repeatable right away

Edited by SlayerX

Actually, you can get a Bounsweet before the water trial in a in-game trade in Route 5. It even has a great nature for it, but it won't get the Queenly Majesty ability when it evolves to Tsareena because it has Leaf Guard. To get a Tsareena with Quesnly Majesty, Bounsweet's ability must be Oblivious.

Thanks for the info, but I want to nickname my Bounsweet after Catherine the Great so a trade isn't really an option.

Speaking of nicknames though, I named my Brionne Rena after Rena Strober and Mudsbray Seth (wanted a female one to name it Titania but didn't want to bother huting for one. Just got the first one with Stamina I got). Other team members' nicknames are anime references.

Also, I cleared water trial by spamming Leech Seed, Stun Spore and Mega Drain with my Cottonee lol. That Wishiwashi hit really hard though, the rest of my team were like wet paper against it... It calling 2 or 3 Alomolas in row didn't exactly help either...

In general this new system of pokemon calling more for help tends to screw me up. When I was catching an Eevee, I had to defeat about 20 before one agreed to stay inside a ball...

I think Malie city always gives 4 (1000/scale)

I have been there twice now, maybe i will test the other two meals, and repeat the one i have already gotten.

Edit: First time Ronin gave me a special event, got 8 heart scales! A second time just gave me four.

I tried samurai set again, it gave me 4 as well (had tried it yesterday). Tried it again right after and it gave me 4 heart scales, so it seems repeatable right away

Oh, okay. That explains it.

I finished the league! Though...I got lucky in the final battle. If it hadn't been for my Marowak deciding to hang on at 1HP due to affection, I would've lost. I didn't have any Pokemon left that were effective against the opponent. Most of my team had been knocked out at this point. This was the most challenging champion battle I'd had since Cynthia.

But this game's champ has given Cynthia competition for my favorite champion in the series. :P

Does paralyzing pokemon prevent them from being chained?

I tried chaining a Vulpix and paralized it but it never called anything, even after more than 20 turns and using an adrenaline orb + 1 hp left

[spoiler=Champion spoilers]Yeah, I like myself, too.

[spoiler=Champion spoilers]I like the amazing theme for when you defend your title, it's pretty fantastic. (I also like the fact that the player as Champion gets their own special theme in general.)