Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Aether is essentially = Clear sky

Tenkuu

Is the same reason why Ike has that skill in FE9 named that, since Sol and Luna combo respectively.

Metroid Prime 2 also used the name for a planet, and when Samus gets there it has a light and dark side respectively. Kinda neat to see Pokemon using Aether as well.

Aether is essentially = Clear sky

Tenkuu

Is the same reason why Ike has that skill in FE9 named that, since Sol and Luna combo respectively.

This is just what I figured! Ike is so lucky. ^^

And of course, I will never not be reminded of him when I meet this Aether Foundation in Sun. XD

Man, you English-speakers get all the cool words. "Aether", "Twilight"...the linguist in me is so envious.

Like Japan, though, I'm fine with generic labels.

"Chrom's Vigilantes", while awkward and generic in English, flows off the tongue as "Jikkeidan" in Japanese easier than "Shepherds".

So in the same vein, Pokémon groups like Team Rocket, etc. are simple sounding if you directly translate them rather than the full flair of localization.

As for the time-based aspect of the game, I think it'll be pretty straightforward: Moon will simply be reversed. The time it is on the Overwatch servers High noon will look like midnight, and midnight will look like high noon.

Man, you English-speakers get all the cool words. "Aether", "Twilight"...the linguist in me is so envious.

Huh. Whenever I hear about linguists and the English language, it's generally about how much of a flustercuck it is with flexible pronunciations varying depending on the word, and how much less refined it is compared to others.

"Chrom's Vigilantes", while awkward and generic in English, flows off the tongue as "Jikkeidan" in Japanese easier than "Shepherds".

So in the same vein, Pokémon groups like Team Rocket, etc. are simple sounding if you directly translate them rather than the full flair of localization.

what English did you learn where Shephard is hard to say

This new stuff is okay. I don't really like when Pokemon tries to get serious and I feel like this reveal needed some more cuteness.

レイさんは本当に日本語が好きですね。。。

Yeah well, things don't get translated to my language due to how small it is, so I can only imagine how it'd sound. I'd probably cringe, that's for sure. We get the English version of everything.

Huh. Whenever I hear about linguists and the English language, it's generally about how much of a flustercuck it is with flexible pronunciations varying depending on the word, and how much less refined it is compared to others.

The English language has a very colorful history that has indeed given birth to some very interesting phenomena, like a messed up pronounciation system (or lack thereof). However, I personally find English to be a remarkably beautiful language, and it's rather easy to learn in comparison to the other languages I've studied, but that is completely anecdotal; everyone has their own opinion on something like that. I personally love how flexible it is, and it's far from the only language that is difficult to transcribe.

Oh, and that language history. Mm-MM! It's like candy, and there's so much interesting trivia to learn as well. Did you know the D in "admiral" comes from mixing words together? People assumed it came from the Latin preposition "ad", but that's not the case, and now you guys say "admiral" instead of "amiral" or "amirail".

Edited by Thane

This new stuff is okay. I don't really like when Pokemon tries to get serious and I feel like this reveal needed some more cuteness.

B-But UB-01 is adorable !

Why can't it be both ?

It's because you prefered to conserve the name's origin instead of making it easily pronounceable you have thing like Aether, after all.

It's impossible to pronounce correctly, but it sounds and looks cool as hell.

​For me... If French is the Sun, English is the Moon. They're both messed up for totally opposite reasons, but they can lead to some beautifull terms.

Edited by Tamanoir

I like how a lot of people I've seen in comments have been complaining about everything being too cutesy, but then when we get some legit plot stuff and new interesting things, people want cuteness again...

I will admit though, more cute wouldn't of hurt...

So, UB-01 kinda looks like just Lillie's hat and hair, doesn't it. Maybe it can take a host or something, and maybe Aether wants to take it out so the President and actual Lillie can be reunited?

Kind of a dumb on the spot theory, but eh, just something else to throw in...

So, uh, anyone see this yet? Is it new or did I just miss it?

http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/ohmori/

Wow we got some information and cool stuffs in that trailer!

Type: Null looks awesome though its name is weird. Its shape looks like Absol's . Its "collar" looks like Arceus' crest maybe it got Arceus and other powerful/legendary pokemons DNA since it seems to be a chimera. It also doesn't have a gender from what we saw in the JP trailer in 2:43.

Jangmo-o looks like an ankylosaurus though it's not a fossil because it's not a rock type. Its color scheme makes me think it could evolve into a Dragon/Steel type but its description could imply it would evolve into a Dragon/Fighting type. I can see the end of its tail looking like a glove when it would evolve. I like its design. Its last evolution is probably the gen 7's pseudo legendary.

Alolan Raticate looks hilarious, it looks like a fat hamster and I love it. I prefer it over the normal one design wise. I kinda wish it got an another type than normal though poison or something else because of its x4 fighting type weakness though I guess I shouldn't judge it how viable it is yet inb4 top tier Rattata/ Raticate/Youngster Joey jokes.

Even though all the alolan forms are for now from the first gen, I still hope that the other gens also get alolan forms.

Also, another thing,
This reversal of time between versions bothers me for some reason.
I might change from Moon to Sun actually. Not sure yet.
What are your opinions on this time reversal thing?

The time differences look fun. When I first played Gold as a kid, I setted up a wrong time so most of the time I played it, it was night time but it was cool. It was that cool that I decided to do this in my later gold playthroughs, didn't do that for silver and crystal though.

Because of these events, I wonder if it would make the Yungoos and the Raticate line version/time exclusive. Or maybe one is more common in one version than the other one like Plusle/Minun and Volbeat/Illumise in R/S/ORAS.

Maybe after we caught one of the legendaries, we could fix the time. I guess that we could also just change the 3DS's clock.

The biggest surprise to me is that Aether Foundation and the Ultra Beasts. I wonder if they are gonna be an another villainous Team but I wouldn't mind if they are good people. The Branch chiefs could be Aether's admins and the employees could be the grunts/peons.

I love Lusamine and Wicke's designs. Lusamine gives me Cynthia vibes but I want to see her as the main villain because we never got a female one.

Faba looks kinda evil maybe he will betray Lusamine. I could be wrong though like how I thought Xerosic would betray Lysandre. He is one of the main reasons why I think that Aether could be the villains.

Wicke looks cute and too innocent especially if the organisation is actually evil. Maybe she's Faga's assistant. There is a Machamp behind her in the JP video at 1:42 but I don't know if it belongs to her or if it's just a mover or something.

The employees look friendly but I'm not a fan of their designs. It's not bad at all but they are too many bags.

The conflict between them and Team Skull reminds me of Cipher and Team Snagem. Maybe in the past, they were allies like them. Team Skull seem to sell pokemons for money so maybe they sold them pokemons at one point for their experiences (like Team Snagem and Cipher) which could have created the Ultra Beasts. After a problem (like Team Skull realizing what Aether was doing), Team Skull and Aether become enemies. Maybe one of the Teams would like to use the boxart legendary to destroy the other Team, to make their Team the main one in Alola and to continue their goals.

Why is Owain/Odin Dark in S/M? Fates wasn't enough? His sword/tome hand probably twitches because of how dark and awesome Team Skull and Type: Null are.

Gladion acts like an "edgier" Silver/Blue and Paul/Shinji from the anime. Since Gladion is Team Skull's enforcer, I guess we'll fight him frequently probably after defeating some grunts. He could act like a rival or N. He looks like Lillie and Lusamine so they could be related. But I could be wrong since Ghetsis and N weren't blood related and they are similar. He could betray Team Skull and be a Aether spy who give them information about Team Skull.

I'm surprised that they didn't show us other Team Skull admins. I also feel like Guzma is not their true boss/mastermind. I don't know why but he doesn't seem to be the boss of an evil Team maybe it's because he was revealed quite early and has just 2 pokemons in his possible first battle. It wouldn't be the first time it happens (Nascour, Evice, N and Colress).

Pokésnap 2.0/Pokéfinder looks interesting. I wonder if it could affect the gameplay like a trainer giving a TM/item for a good picture. Nice Rotom Dex inb4Sinnoh remakes confirmed.

I guess that if we find all Zygarde cells and cores, we can change our XY Zygarde into its 10%/dog and complete forms. Maybe we can find a Zygarde in-game.

The Ultra Beasts are also an interesting concept but I can't say more since we got only one. Like some people said, UB-01 looks like Lillie. I am not sure if it's supposed to be her or if its based on her. Some trainers tend to wear clothes similar to their pokémons (like Unovan Roughnecks/Cue Balls with their Krookodile vests using Krookoroks/Krookodile, Poké Kids/Pokéfans using the Pikachu evolution lines etc...) so maybe it belongs to her.

If UB-01 has types like pokémons, I think it could be a Water/Psychic type.

Edited by Thunderstar

I like how a lot of people I've seen in comments have been complaining about everything being too cutesy, but then when we get some legit plot stuff and new interesting things, people want cuteness again...

I will admit though, more cute wouldn't of hurt...

So, UB-01 kinda looks like just Lillie's hat and hair, doesn't it. Maybe it can take a host or something, and maybe Aether wants to take it out so the President and actual Lillie can be reunited?

Kind of a dumb on the spot theory, but eh, just something else to throw in...

So, uh, anyone see this yet? Is it new or did I just miss it?

http://www.pokemon-sunmoon.com/en-us/ohmori/

That's new, though after a perusal it's nothing to write home about.

UB-01 also has certain tentacles that would fit in as Lillie's limbs- the long, center ones would be her legs and the medium-length ones bending outward would be her arms.

People are saying it could just be like with N and Zoroark, but here we've got the color schemes down pat between them and the official site teasing us on the subject.

And isn't Jangmo-o cute? At least in a scrappy sort of way?

Shepherd would be rather awkward and wouldn't roll off the tongue when put into Japanese syllabary, is what he means.

The Shohei stuff is as cute as the first time.

Also the portal at the end of the Japanese Aether announcement with UB-01 coming out, freaky.

Type Null is going to be Porygon 2.0 probably. Some sort of high coverage normal type which could be decent

Jangmo-O is fucking adorable. That - Turtonator - Rufflet is my Top 3 of this gen so far(4 if including Dragon Egg the Legend himself)

Edited by JSND

UB-01 also has certain tentacles that would fit in as Lillie's limbs- the long, center ones would be her legs and the medium-length ones bending outward would be her arms.

People are saying it could just be like with N and Zoroark, but here we've got the color schemes down pat between them and the official site teasing us on the subject.

And isn't Jangmo-o cute? At least in a scrappy sort of way?

I know it has arm like things, but it really doesn't feel like it would be her whole body. Maybe it's just me.

Also, are we confirmed in any way to not capture the UBs? I hope we don't have to... I don't want to foresee that 1% Catch Rate! (Also wow that sound f-ed up now that I think about it. We'd be catching Lillie.)

I honestly reeeally like Type: Null, or I suppose we can just call it Typnul! Or just Null...

It's a Chimera- a robot-Chimera at that- and it's gonna be a slow tank! I already want to use it, even if it does probably counts as a Legendary. I'll make an exception this one time...

I do hope it has an accessible Hidden Ability that's unique. Battle Armor is kinda meh.

Also yeah, Jangmo-o is very adorable. :D

That - Turtonator - Rufflet is my Top 3 of this gen so far(4 if including Dragon Egg the Legend himself)

Um... Rufflet was Gen 5. I'd assume you meant something else.

also kek 2 people made the same damn joke

I saw this leak an hour ago, and I'm still at a loss for words.

Moon might actually not be the version for me. I'm rather nocturnal, and I usually like night pokemon a lot better.

Jangmo-o will be mine. I want one, I want to catch one, and I don't care how I have to do it.

I know it has arm like things, but it really doesn't feel like it would be her whole body. Maybe it's just me.

Also, are we confirmed in any way to not capture the UBs? I hope we don't have to... I don't want to foresee that 1% Catch Rate! (Also wow that sound f-ed up now that I think about it. We'd be catching Lillie.)

I honestly reeeally like Type: Null, or I suppose we can just call it Typnul! Or just Null...

It's a Chimera- a robot-Chimera at that- and it's gonna be a slow tank! I already want to use it, even if it does probably counts as a Legendary. I'll make an exception this one time...

If UB-01 is Lillie (which after seeing it in motion in the Japanese trailer, I'm 99% sure of) there's no they'd let you catch. Gamefreak would have to be effed up to even consider it, and even more effed up to not realize the outcry they would face.

And I'm also a fan of Type: Null. However, I wonder how you'll obtain it- it seems to be one of a kind and under Gladion's possession.

Anyways, I re-watched the Japanese trailer and paid special attention to the music; Gladion's theme seems to have strains from the Aether Foundation's theme.

Anyways, I re-watched the Japanese trailer and paid special attention to the music; Gladion's theme seems to have strains from the Aether Foundation's theme.

Hmm, maybe our little theory about Gladion being related to Lillie and the Prez is correct after all...

Or at least on the right track.

Maybe Lillie isn't related to the Prez, but I bet Gladion is at least.

Edited by TrueEm

Please read my statement again. You clearly missed the meaning.

Why would I state "Jikkeidan" being easier to say, if I meant speaking in English?

I clearly stated it was harder to say it in JAPANESE when I'm saying the word "Chrom's Vigilantes" as "Jikkeidan".

"Sheppaarudo" or "Iriisu no kainushi" would be "wtf".

The topic I was addressing was linguistics and my personal preference. I don't appreciate the semi-hostile tone call out post in the middle of responding to Thane's statement about the finer point of linguistics.

I take an even more miffed stance at your arguably mocking tone of my understanding of English since it is my second language and Japanese being a third.

I worked hard learning these languages as a hobby. Especially since it struck a chord with the little kid in the Japanese Sun and Moon trailer.

I was an Asian kid being made fun of for being GOOD at English and "attempting to become American" and trying to fit in even though I looked like a lot of other Asians and Pacific Islanders in Hawaii. Please, don't.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Hmm, maybe our little theory about Gladion being related to Lillie and the Prez is correct after all...

Or at least on the right track.

Maybe Lillie isn't related to the Prez, but I bet Gladion is at least.

Though everybody and his brother seems to be on the "Lillie is UB-01" train, a lot fewer are drawing connections between her, Lusamine, and Gladeon.

The interview with Shigure Omohri mentioned on how they wanted the Alola region to really emphasize the bonds between humans and pokemon. We know from the Canalave library that humans and pokemon have common genetic ancestors that eventually grew distant from each other.

What if the Ultra Beasts are a plan to further humanity's growth and development as a species?

I know it sounds pretty far-fetched, but so does the evil team using an ancient relic/discount Halo ring to try and commit genocide.

The JP trailer shows what seems to be UB-01 coming out of a portal. Was it confirmed to be artificial...?

Took another look at the NA trailer, there's a part where Lusamine says, "I will be like a mother to all of those poor Pokemon and shower them with love. Even Pokemon from distant worlds, far from the Alola region, are worthy of my love."

Lol cmon you guys knows what i meant by Porygon 2.0. Really the fate of pretty much every good normal type is either to run with Porygon 2.0 route(read: SP Attacker with WTF godlike movepool) or No Drawback Slaking archetype(which is Mega Kangaskhan). Type null take the issue further due to meh ability

And i dunno why i call it Rufflet either. Rowlett? Yeah should be Rowlett

The only Porygon that matter 250px-474Porygon-Z.png

Edited by JSND

So, uh, Ultra Beasts. Aether Foundation. Artificial Pokemon. Jeebins, they still had this much left to show, huh? I've seen a lot of theorising going around about how this fits into everything. After some thinking, here's my ideas on the matter:

Gladion and Lillie are brother and sister, and the children of Lusamine. I know she doesn't look that old, but that's the feeling I get.

Team Skull is just a gang of regular thugs and rebels and such. The Aether Foundation just sort of takes advantage of Skull's misdeeds in order to make themselves look better in the public eye, while doing all sorts of Pokemon-based experiments behind the scenes, such as creating Type: Null.

The Ultra Beasts being described as a threat to both humans and Pokemons makes me feel that they probably fall into neither category, and the weird portal it jumps out of in the JP trailer, and can be sort of seen behind it in the US trailer, makes me think it might be from another dimension or something (maybe it got here via Link Cable?). The Aether Foundation managed to pull UB-01 into the Pokemon SuMo dimension, and begun conducting experiments on it. While there, UB-01 became friends with Lillie, sorta like Mewtwo and Amber, or Shadow and Maria, or whatever. As such, with it being able to change its appearance, UB-01 took on a form similar to Lillie.

Neither Gladion nor Lillie really agreed with the experiments the Aether Foundation were performing, and once they were old enough to take things into their own hands, they both acted in the way they felt was right. Gladion took Type: Null, and joined Team Skull to possibly coerce them into targeting the Aether Corporation, while Lillie took UB-01, and sought out the help of Professor Kukui.

Of course, I could be completely wrong because everything's just getting incredibly confusing at this point.

The Aether Foundation just sorta screams "we're secretly evil", but at the same time, Wicke's cute and I don't really want her to be evil.

As for the concrete stuff revealed, Type: Null seems interesting, but I'm probably not going to use it. Jangmo-o, maybe, don't really have a Dragon-type picked. Slightly regretting my choice of Pokemon Moon over Sun, but if it gets too bothersome, I'll just change my 3DS clock or something.

Also, the closest thing we're ever going to get to Pokemon Snap 2 is in the game. This is good.