Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

Honestly, while I would have preferred they took a select few Pokemon from each generation, I'm not too bothered by the Alola forms being solely Gen One. I'd rather not jump to conclusions before the game is released. For all we know, they are holding off on announcing all the Alola forms that are to be in the game.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, new Eeveevolutios for Gen 7 were already debunked months ago, when the Rotom Pokedex was revealed.

EDIT: Ninja'd...or, since it's a Pokemon thread, Greninja'd?

My bad on that, I haven't been paying the closest attention.

I guess I'll have to wait on Gen 8 for Steevee

Anyone else notice how, like Alola Forms, all the Pokemon-exclusive Z-moves so far are for Gen 1 Pokemon (except for Alola Raichu, I guess, but that's a new version of a Gen 1 Pokemon).

My pandering senses are tingling. Let's hope this amounts to nothing and I'm making connections that don't exist.

Honestly, while I would have preferred they took a select few Pokemon from each generation, I'm not too bothered by the Alola forms being solely Gen One. I'd rather not jump to conclusions before the game is released. For all we know, they are holding off on announcing all the Alola forms that are to be in the game.

Well, the Chinese leaker (who keeps getting more and more legit) has the following non-Gen I 'mons pegged for Alolan forms:

-Gen II Starters

-Chinchou -> Lanturn

-Larvitar -> Pupitar ->Tyrannitar

-Spheal -> Sealeo -> Walrein

-Axew -> Fraxure -> Haxorus

-Hawlucha

Anyone else notice how, like Alola Forms, all the Pokemon-exclusive Z-moves so far are for Gen 1 Pokemon (except for Alola Raichu, I guess, but that's a new version of a Gen 1 Pokemon).

My pandering senses are tingling. Let's hope this amounts to nothing and I'm making connections that don't exist.

Raichu is a gen 1 Pokemon as well

Pichu is the gen 2 one

Raichu is a gen 1 Pokemon as well

Pichu is the gen 2 one

I meant the fact that it's Alolan Raichu instead of regular Raichu, which I specifically mentioned in case some people classed Alola Forms as being Gen 7 Pokemon. I dunno, my logic was dumb.

I'm biased towards dual Ground types. Especially dual Water/Ground. *drools* Oh, that single grass weakness makes me shiver in delight.

I tend to look at Pokemon defensively with little regards for their other traits, which is a pretty bad viewpoint. Rock is really good offensively; I just can't stop my lips from curling when I see that plain Rock type on Rockruff.

Rockruff is really cute, I agree. The other two, not so much. I might catch a Rockruff, put it in my party and not train it so it can stay a baby forever. I used to do that with Cubone back in the day.

Yeah i agree. Seeing plain Rock actually had this weird feeling. Even Fast Rock offense seems kinda eh with the current alvailable move with walking proof like Aero around

Water Ground sadly is kinda shafted right now because they need Water Absorb or "outclass Garchomp" as a big issue

I mean like Swampert is still good stats wise, but it got hilariously outclassed by El Chomper

Edited by JSND

Water Ground sadly is kinda shafted right now because they need Water Absorb or "outclass Garchomp" as a big issue

I mean like Swampert is still good stats wise, but it got hilariously outclassed by El Chomper

Oh, I know that. It saddens me, too.

T_T

Edited by SaiSymbolic

Vital Spirit NightRock is funny because the only common sleeper that isn't Grass is Smeargle and Darkrai

Solo wise, Eevee Z move is actually somewhat "OK", mainly because Eevee have a really broken ability to back it up. Sadly its much easier just to use generic sweeper 101 and mon like Skarmory counter it

As BP Passer it feels like one of those things that work against specific team on a specific situation(switch into defensive mon -> Set up -> Pass into Lum berry sweeper)

Edited by JSND

It's almost as if gen I was celebrating some kind of anniversary or something.

Yeah, it's the 20th anniversary of Pokemon, but that's supposed to celebrate 20 years of the franchise, not just the first games.

Yeah, it's the 20th anniversary of Pokemon, but that's supposed to celebrate 20 years of the franchise, not just the first games.

Honnestly, even if Z moves and Alola Forms were Gen I only (which isn't confirmed yet), then... Why would it be a problem ?

Sun & Moon replaces Gym by the Island Challenge, may suppress (or at least reduces) HMs with PokéMounts, and who knows what Ultra Beasts could bring to the table.

That promises to be quite a massive change from the usual Pokémon game. Even bigger than Gen V.

So, if they decide to throw a bone to gen 1 fans (at least at first.), that would be a pretty smart move, actually.

Let's also not forget about the power creep; a lot of generation I pokémon just aren't as good as the ones appearing in later generations.

I don't deny they're pandering quite a bit, but it's a cool concept that can really benefit some forgotten 'mons now that they gave mega evolutions to pokémon who really, really didn't need it.

New official artwork for Pokemon grooming:2fd.png

I don't know why, but I love Oranguru and the male trainer in this picture.

Sorry for quoting myself, and it's something small, but if you look at the hair dryer that the male trainer is using on Oranguru, you can see that the hair dryer is styled after Porygon 2!

It's a small, but neat detail!

And I think that the green comb in the basket is also styled after Pokemon, but I don't know which.

EDIT: The comb is actually styled after Tyranitar!

Edited by Water Mage

Let's also not forget about the power creep; a lot of generation I pokémon just aren't as good as the ones appearing in later generations.

I don't deny they're pandering quite a bit, but it's a cool concept that can really benefit some forgotten 'mons now that they gave mega evolutions to pokémon who really, really didn't need it.

Unfortunately as much as I like the Ice type, I don't see Sandslash or Ninetales getting any better with their Alola typing possibly making them worse, which is unfortunate since they look really cool.

Edited by Jedi

Unfortunately as much as I like the Ice type, I don't see Sandslash or Ninetales getting any better with their Alola typing possibly making them worse, which is unfortunate since they look really cool.

I think Ice / Fairy Ninetales has potential so long as it's stats emphasise speed (defensive Ice type is never gonna work Game Freak).

Edited by Shuuda

I think Ice / Fairy Ninetales has potential so long as it's stats emphasise speed (defensive Ice type is never gonna work Game Freak).

We can hope! Ninetales is my favorite Gen 1 mon, so I really really do hope so, after its competitive viability was taken away by Charizard Y just one gen after it was a drought mon haha.

I'd say it's too early to say, since we don't know just how much the stats will change, if at all. If Alolan Ninetales is quick and has some good special attack, it'll be a pretty threatening attacker and the bane of dragons, I'd say.

I think Alolan Marowak and Raichu are almost guaranteed to be good; Marowak will have a pretty good typing and can be immune to three types while Raichu's ability has the potential to make it a good sweeper, I think. I'm not very into the competitive scene, so I won't pretend to know more than I do, but it's what I'm expecting.

I'd say it's too early to say, since we don't know just how much the stats will change, if at all. If Alolan Ninetales is quick and has some good special attack, it'll be a pretty threatening attacker and the bane of dragons, I'd say.

I think Alolan Marowak and Raichu are almost guaranteed to be good; Marowak will have a pretty good typing and can be immune to three types while Raichu's ability has the potential to make it a good sweeper, I think. I'm not very into the competitive scene, so I won't pretend to know more than I do, but it's what I'm expecting.

Yeah I may be jumping the gun a bit, I'm just not the most confident in GameFreak knowing how to make a good Ice type, considering there have only been a handful of good ones in 6 previous generations (Its my 2nd favorite type after Steel too, which makes me kinda sad sometimes).

I agree with Marowak and Raichu, I see them being pretty solid, and I'm glad Raichu got some attention for once. I haven't seriously competitively played Pokemon in quite some time, I just like looking at stuff like that and occasionally jumping on Pokemon Showdown.

Edited by Jedi

Newsflash: the King of ALOLA has officially declared naming an Oranguru Harambe punishable by death.

lol

Not referring to you, though, but I wish this Harambe joke dies soon. I keep seeing it on YT and it's getting annoying. It's like when people keeping bringing up the route-that-will-not-be-named on this forum.

Sandslash was never terribly good, and having both the game's best offensive type (ice) and defensive (steel) modify the boring ground typing should make it a joy to use if its bases aren't effed up in the process. Assuming early enough availability (this concept may well vanish if the game revolutionises more than just the gym concept of every other mainline Pokemon game), you also get an exceptionally early user of ice-type moves, which is mostly unprecedented in the series.

Sandslash was never terribly good, and having both the game's best offensive type (ice) and defensive (steel) modify the boring ground typing should make it a joy to use if its bases aren't effed up in the process. Assuming early enough availability (this concept may well vanish if the game revolutionises more than just the gym concept of every other mainline Pokemon game), you also get an exceptionally early user of ice-type moves, which is mostly unprecedented in the series.

Yeah, but in competitive, Ice/Steel is asking to be wrecked by Fire, Ground and Fighting, 3 of the most common types. It's almost as bad of a combination as Rock/ice was in Gen 6

Edited by Jedi

Rock/Ice would be great (ingame at least) if its user had the stats of, say, Lucario. iirc alongside rock/fire, it covers the most weaknesses of any dual STABs existing in Pokemon up to gen 6. Aurorus is just very underwhelming in terms of bases (though its ability is all right).

I don't particularly care if going from pure ground to ice/steel would make Sandslash go down from UU to NU or whatever, don't have anywhere near enough grasp of the competitive scene at most of its stages to make any claims, but this should be quite a celebration in-game.