Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

Question: outside of a strictly gameplay sense, what are people's thoughts on Mega Evolution?

I will admit that the one thing I don't like about Mega evolution is that Mewtwo and Charizard got two Megas. They didn't need two. :/ (Zard X and Mewtwo Y would've been just fine to me. Zard Y and Mewtwo X aren't nearly as cool).

I agree with Ana on this pretty much. Mewtwo less so since it's a legendary, but the extra Charizard mega is just facepalm worthy since Venusaur and Blastoise did not get two mega treatment.

PLEASE don't make the game rely on rng any more than it already does. Just take away it's TM status or something.

I think the damage is already done with TM status, thanks transferring systems that are already confirmed.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did you misquote here?

No. I posted my message, which split into two, kept one of them and changed the other to "ignore this one", and now my original message is nowhere to be seen, making me look like an idiot.

All I wrote was this: meh.

I will admit that the one thing I don't like about Mega evolution is that Mewtwo and Charizard got two Megas. They didn't need two. :/ (Zard X and Mewtwo Y would've been just fine to me. Zard Y and Mewtwo X aren't nearly as cool).

I prefer Charizard Y, it looks more natural, like if Charizard could evolve further on its own that's what it would look like.

Charizard X looks like some guy at Gamefreak couldn't get a shiny Charmander so he made Charizard mega evolve into that. I mean do any other Pokemon mega evolve into their (almost) shiny color?

Maybe I'm still salty that my shiny Charizard turns purple when it mega evolves into Y.

Edited by VeryAngryBisharp

I prefer Charizard Y, it looks more natural, like if Charizard could evolve further on its own that's what it would look like.

Charizard X looks like some guy at Gamefreak couldn't get a shiny Charmander so he made Charizard mega evolve into that. I mean do any other Pokemon mega evolve into their (almost) shiny color?

I prefer X because it has more and better changes than Y. I thought Y looked cool at first, but then X came and blew it out of the water. So what if X's color is similar to shiny Charizard, the color scheme is cool. Cooler, actually, since black/blue > black/red, imo. And I think the blue fire at X's mouth is awesome. Better than Y's weird single horn on its head. It's like it wishes it was Charmeleon again.

Oh yeah, not to mention X has the cool Fire/Dragon typing.

I just need Fire/Fairy now, GF.

Edited by Anacybele

Just feel like it kinda invalidated my efforts to get a shiny charizard, all that time wasted just soft reseting my FR to finally get a shiny (albeit shitty bold natured) charmander. Only for it to, not only get a normal black form, but also not even keeping its regular shiny color scheme when it mega evolved to Y.

Of course this is all my opinion so, you know who the hell cares.

Question: outside of a strictly gameplay sense, what are people's thoughts on Mega Evolution?

To be honest, I'm pretty neutral towarda them: I like Mega Houndoom, Mega Salamnce, Mega Sceptile and Mega Charizard Y, but the rest don't tell me anything.

But I'll always remember the angry reaction of the angry genwunners when the mega evolution was announced.

The salt present in that period was infinite.

I like most of them design wise, I just think Mega Charizard X, Salamence, Metagross, Mewtwo XY, and Rayquay were a bit too much for fanservice.

Also Mega Camerupt is stupid.

Actually, the only status effect Game Freak really keeps in check is Frozen, right (it doesn't seems particularily more broken than the others, though...) ?

Megas ? Honnestly, I'm not sure. Some are incredibly stupid (giving a mega form (or Primal. Same thing) to a Legendary is pointless. And Mega Rayquaza is just ridiculous.

The ones that are just the same but more, are also pointless (Medicham and Blaziken are the first to come to mind.)

Reimagining ancient Pokémon was cool though.

Edited by Tamanoir

Freeze was broken in gen 1... rare, but broken. Now it's so rarely seen because it's much easier to use sleep for more or less the same effect. In theory it lasts longer than sleep but in practice with RNG it's about the same length of time.

I don't think megas of popular, powerful Pokemon was a bad idea. The 100 BST stat boost was often a tradeoff for losing choice items/life orb, as stated before. Pokemon like Khangaskhan, who previously wasn't good, was jacked up to broken levels more by the ability change, and the same could be said for most of the megas. Mega Latias/Latios for instance should be good with a stat boost but the loss of Soul Dew actually damages some of its ability to stall vs special attacks. I actually wish more megas had been around the power level of Zard Y, Blastoise and Venasaur as it was a siginificant power boost but not broken. Mega Swampert ended up being rather pointless which wasn't good, but then mega Khanga was overwhelming.

The less said about Mega Rayquaza and the Primals the better, though. Primal Groudon is insane.

I like most of them design wise, I just think Mega Charizard X, Salamence, Metagross, Mewtwo XY, and Rayquay were a bit too much for fanservice.

Also Mega Camerupt is stupid.

I agree with what you and several others have said- Charizard and Mewtwo having two megas is just pure fanservice and genwunner pandering.

And Mega Camerupt was not made with any form of PvP in mind. I refuse to think that they considered that when they lowered the base speed that was already quad-weak to water.

Hmm....

I guess I like Charizard Y and I use a Mega Tyranitar on my team, so those are two I like...

Edit: OH and I really like Mega Mawile.

Edited by Ebony

Eh, overall, I like some of the designs such as Charizard X, Mega Altaria, Mega Audino, Mega Banette, Mega Sableye and Mega Audino.

I hate Mega Lucario, though. It looks like it has strips of bacon flying off of it.

EDIT: Also, screw Mega Kangaskhan. I hate that thing, too.

Edited by SaiSymbolic

So if any Americans missed the Darkrai event earlier this year, you have a second chance at obtaining it by putting the serial code "Darkrai20" into any Gen VI game. This is just a rerelease, so if you already got Darkrai earlier this year then you can't get a second one. The event will run until October 31st.

Oh, awesome, I never got a second Darkrai for my Alpha Sapphire game (I only got one for X). I had a feeling this was coming though, since we got a re-run of Mew earlier this year as well.

Edited by Anacybele

Already have one that I got way back in White version (it's now in my X file- hue hue), but having two won't hurt. Like that time, also in White, where I had two Victinis- the post-launch Victini and the V-create movie tie-in Victini (that first one got traded for a level 100 Reshiram).

I don't really care either way for them, as in I'm not affected whether they stay in or get taken out.

Speaking of Mega Evolution, though.

Upon Mega Evolving, Mega Sceptile decides to inexplicably turn around. :P:

Freeze was broken in gen 1... rare, but broken. Now it's so rarely seen because it's much easier to use sleep for more or less the same effect. In theory it lasts longer than sleep but in practice with RNG it's about the same length of time.

I don't think megas of popular, powerful Pokemon was a bad idea. The 100 BST stat boost was often a tradeoff for losing choice items/life orb, as stated before. Pokemon like Khangaskhan, who previously wasn't good, was jacked up to broken levels more by the ability change, and the same could be said for most of the megas. Mega Latias/Latios for instance should be good with a stat boost but the loss of Soul Dew actually damages some of its ability to stall vs special attacks. I actually wish more megas had been around the power level of Zard Y, Blastoise and Venasaur as it was a siginificant power boost but not broken. Mega Swampert ended up being rather pointless which wasn't good, but then mega Khanga was overwhelming.

The less said about Mega Rayquaza and the Primals the better, though. Primal Groudon is insane.

Mega Latios issue wasn't really loss of Soul Dew(more on this one's banned than anything else)

Its more on the fact that Mega Latios is a worse Latias

Mega Swampert is a generation too late yeah. If the same-ish pokemon is in Gen 5, it would party as a Rain Sweeper with VERY natural advantage against Tyranitar, Hippowdon, and Ninetales. Only issue with M Swampert in gen 5 is aside from Ferro is it actually being water weak(really the real reason you didn't see Swampert again after Gen 4). Nowadays its concept is kinda fine since you click Rain Dance for +1 ATK and +2 Spe but it only lasts 4 turns which is too short

Which is kinda funny since this is the trend with Swampert. It get Damp one generation too late, then it get Mega one generation too late. I wonder if this gen its Z Move is something that is super OP in Gen 6, but is useless in Gen 7 too

That said one thing that could fix Mega Swampert is a move that summons eternal rain, but stops when the pokemon leaves the field or the weather is forcibly changed(basically a downgraded Primal ability). IDK if this is going to be broken though lol

Edited by JSND

I don't really care either way for them, as in I'm not affected whether they stay in or get taken out.

Speaking of Mega Evolution, though.

Upon Mega Evolving, Mega Sceptile decides to inexplicably turn around. :P:

It turns around to bare it's tail- it's newly launchable tail (it actually shoots out in some attack animations).

Freeze is actually easier to come out than Sleep, since a Fire Move automatically removes it. So, it probably would just makes Fire Type Pokémon even better than they are already.

Freeze is actually easier to come out than Sleep, since a Fire Move automatically removes it. So, it probably would just makes Fire Type Pokémon even better than they are already.

The problem with that is using Fire type and Move in gen 1

Literally the only reason to use Fire type in Gen 1 was to roast Exeguttor

Edited by JSND

The problem with that is using Fire type and Move in gen 1

Literally the only reason to use Fire type in Gen 1 was to roast Exeguttor

I don't think anything in RBY OU actually runs Fire Blast specifically for Exeguttor? It's got high special defence and all viable users of the move lack STAB. Blizzard is way more common however, and it's a bargain with high accuracy and 120 BP.