Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

Actually, I don't have high hopes for Jangmo-O and it's evolutions.

Dragon/Fighting is actually a pretty bad type combination. Those two types don't really mesh well.

To echo emeraldfox, it's amazing offensively. It's job is killing things as quick as possible, not tanking hits. Good attack is pretty much a guarantee- speed is the wildcard here. Fighting works well, and as you said dragon isn't resisted by much.

Edited by The DanMan

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dragon is actually not that good of a type, despite popular belief.

Dragon Typing is usually reserved for more powerful Pokemon. There are not really any dragon type Pokemon that are flat out bad or even average, just some that may not get as much attention as others(Druddigon, Flygon, Noivern). If there were Dragon Types that were more on par with first route derps (Drampa might be as close to one as we might possibly get, though it still seems to be above average), then popular opinion just might begin to shift.

To echo emeraldfox, it's amazing offensively. It's job is killing things as quick as possible, not tanking hits. Good attack is pretty much a guarantee- speed is the wildcard here. Fighting works well, and as you said dragon isn't resisted by much.

Pokemon like that are very easy stop with a Thunder Wave, and it has a lot of weakness, so it won't work as well as other Glass Cannons, whose typing allows them to survive a bit.

Dragon Typing is usually reserved for more powerful Pokemon. There are not really any dragon type Pokemon that are flat out bad or even average, just some that may not get as much attention as others(Druddigon, Flygon, Noivern). If there were Dragon Types that were more on par with first route derps (Drampa might be as close to one as we might possibly get, though it still seems to be above average), then popular opinion just might begin to shift.

Yeah, Dragon Pokemon are strong, the Dragon type not so much.

Oh no! Now I'll have to spend five seconds to turn it off again. Oh the humanity!

It's no shock. The Exp Share was obtained very early in ORAS.

Edited by Shuuda

Oh no! Now I'll have to spend five seconds to turn it off again. Oh the humanity!

It's no shock. The Exp Share was obtained very early in ORAS.

I'm not going to use it, either. The reason why I was surprised was because a lot of people complained about how easy it could make the game. Again, it won't affect my playthrough in the slightest, but it does make me worried that they'll make the game far easier than it needs to be in other areas.

To be fair, Pokemon is aimed at kids first and foremost. Them giving the Exp.Share earlier is just them streamlining the game more.

Gen7 still looks hype though

For the first two hours of the game, I believe it is. Apparently you get the EXP. Share even earlier in Sun & Moon.

...What.

It's the same people who made Registeel and Mega Rayquaza.

You think Gamefreak really knows proper game design and balancing?

Edited by The DanMan

Clearly enough to make one of the world's most beloved video game series. Forgive me for being insulting, but your words are those of an insolent brat.

Well, I assume it's Gen 6 EXP share. And I'm ok with using it, mostly because it gives the opportunity to use more pokemon in a playthrough, which I did find fun the last 2 times.

Also, not really sure what to think about what little has been leaked otherwise.

It's the same people who made Registeel and Mega Rayquaza.

They made BW2 Challenge Mode. So, yes.

And competitive balance is irrelevant to game balance.

Can I say I'm super, super happy to see Type: Null's evolution?

I've been wanting one of these edgelord pups since I saw it and to see it's evo is essentially the same (sans the helmet) pleases me greatly. I want 5 Type: Nulls. They're just SO CUTE!

Clearly enough to make one of the world's most beloved video game series. Forgive me for being insulting, but your words are those of an insolent brat.

I'm not saying the games are bad- I'm saying that the logic behind certain design and balancing decisions are questionable and flawed.

Plus we have things like Masuda dismissing the Battle Frontier due to "people not having as much time to play games" (more content = bad?) and Sugimori handwaving the slow in new Pokemon as "we don't want there to be too many as it gets hard to remember them" (gee, maybe this would hold more water if you hadn't already made hundreds of them before).

It's not all bad- I'm saying that giving the player the EXP share, one of the most widely criticized aspects of the most recent installment, even earlier shouldn't have been unexpected, as they have made poor decisions in the past and have a questionable design philosophy on certain things.

EDIT: As Tamanoir pointed out, they've shown that they can get it right- which makes it all the more frustrating when they don't.

Edited by The DanMan

I'm not saying the games are bad- I'm saying that the logic behind certain design and balancing decisions are questionable and flawed.

Plus we have things like Masuda dismissing the Battle Frontier due to "people not having as much time to play games" (more content = bad?) and Sugimori handwaving the slow in new Pokemon as "we don't want there to be too many as it gets hard to remember them" (gee, maybe this would hold more water if you hadn't already made hundreds of them before).

It's not all bad- I'm saying that giving the player the EXP share, one of the most widely criticized aspects of the most recent installment, even earlier shouldn't have been unexpected, as they have made poor decisions in the past and have a questionable design philosophy on certain things.

EDIT: As Tamanoir pointed out, they've shown that they can get it right- which makes it all the more frustrating when they don't.

About slowing down the Pokémons.

We're slowly but surely reaching the 1000th Pokémon.

And it can't be any random Pokémon. It must be at least at Arceus level (of importance, power...)

I know that I'll wait the 10th generation, just for the sake of symbolism, and they may think the same way.

But that's just wild, baseless speculation of my part.

TPDP (which has gameplay largely based on Pokémon, with some changes made for convenience) has the EXP share permanently turned on as a game mechanic and still manages to provide decent challenge (at least in Shard of Dreams, the original was poorly balanced in comparison). I never really found myself overleveled or underleveled in SoD, but I did find myself underleveled in 1.34 (such as regarding the Remilia boss fight).

That said I'll probably be turning it off myself, but I know the concept can be done right after having played SoD.

But enough TPDP talk, the GameXplain Q&A:

It's nice to know the game does have some early surprises.

No, you're just saying they don't know how to design games properly, despite making them for over twenty years and apparently being very successful in the process.

Of course, we're all free to disagree with their choice. I just think your attitude reeks of arrogance.

I guess I shouldn't get angry. It's typical fan behavour on your part.

The demo comes out tomorrow on Oct. 14, right? Also, sorry if this question has an easy-to-find answer.

Afraid not. Demo is 18th. News is tomorrow.

No, you're just saying they don't know how to design games properly, despite making them for over twenty years and apparently being very successful in the process.

Of course, we're all free to disagree with their choice. I just think your attitude reeks of arrogance.

I guess I shouldn't get angry. It's typical fan behavour on your part.

That's not how I meant to come off- I was genuinely surprised that other people were surprised at the EXP share returning and appearing even earlier.

And just because something is successful for a long period of time doesn't mean it doesn't have glaring issues.

Due to outside factors, I admit that I phrased things much more hyperbolically than I should have there.

I think people complaining about Exp. Share do it just for the satisfaction of having something to debate, complain, and nitpicking. First of all, do Pokemon games need to be hard as of hardcore level? In the opposite way, do Pokemon games need to be easy peezy as of casual level? The game's there with its designed difficulty, the player has multiple options to adjust it to its needs accordingly.

I don't even mind if you get it with your 1st pokemon or what. If people don't like it then just turn it off.

I think people complaining about Exp. Share do it just for the satisfaction of having something to debate, complain, and nitpicking. First of all, do Pokemon games need to be hard as of hardcore level? In the opposite way, do Pokemon games need to be easy peezy as of casual level? The game's there with its designed difficulty, the player has multiple options to adjust it to its needs accordingly.

I don't even mind if you get it with your 1st pokemon or what. If people don't like it then just turn it off.

That's a bit unfair. I was just surprised they included it so early because of the impopularity of it in X&Y, and I hoped it wasn't an indicator of the game being too easy on other fronts. Surely that can't be considered a complaint? It's not like I'm asking for it to become like Dark Souls, I just want to feel challenged.

Ooh, I'm loving Silvadi! That's an epic design. :o

I like Jangmo-Oh's final form too! I might use it.

Ilmia or whoever that is has a horrible design, imo. Far too feminine for a guy. I swear, it's FE7 Lucius level feminine. I don't have a big issue with feminine-looking guys in itself (though I can't say I'm really a fan of them either), but I think there are too many in the games I'm playing lately. The occasional feminine guy is okay, but most guys look like guys, not girls. I can give this femdude a pass if there aren't many more of these to come in Sun/Moon though.

This enforces gender roles, is stereotypical, and quite frankly offensive. You're okay with the "occasional" feminine guy? Please get with the times.

Don't post hate speech.

Wrong, this is an opinion, a concept that you seem to don't understand.

Also hate speech over a fictional character? I think you are going too far.