Pokemon Sun and Moon General Discussion: Official Site updated to include every new 'mon

The DanMan

Sun and Moon Poll 2.0  

147 members have voted

1. 1. Which starter is your favorite?

• Rowlet -> Dartrix ->Decidueye
    • Litten -> Torracat ->Incineroar
    • Popplio -> Brionne ->Primarina
    • Still can't decide -> unsure ->make up your mind
  2. 2. Sun or Moon

• Sun
    • Moon
    • Undecided
  3. 3. Who's your favorite Island Gaurdian?

• Tapu Koko (Electric/Fairy)
    • Tapu Lele (Psychic/Fairy)
    • Tapu Bulu (Grass/Fairy)
    • Tapu Fini (Water/Fairy)

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't mind the lack of previews, I knew I'd like the long and wavy one which is what I picked. XD I did take a bit of a gamble on the honey blonde color choice, but I like it too!

First Pichu I caught had a TERRIBLE nature, ugh. But the second one had a MUCH better one, so that one is my Jaq. In fact, these two had entirely opposite natures. lol First one was -speed and +defense while Jaq is +speed and -defense. lol

Only thing is that Jaq started at level 5, so I'm having to level him up a bit, but I don't mind, particularly because level-ups increase friendship which Pichu requires to evolve. :P

Besides, there are Wingull here which are goooood training dummies for the little guy. Haha.

Edited by Anacybele

So I just beat the first kahuna, Hala. His first two Pokemon, Mankey and Makuhita, were pretty easy, but Crabrawler was a nightmare. He has a Z-Move, Power-Up Punch to wreck you normally, and Pursuit in case you thought you could take him down easy with Misdreavus or Driftloon. Half my team went down trying to fight him, and I only won because I got some lucky flinches off of Senketsu (my Torracat)'s Fire Fang.

Also the riding gear is still incredibly dumb-looking.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry for the brief broken spoiler tags.

Edited by AzureSen

So I just beat the first kahuna, Hala. His first two Pokemon, Mankey and Makuhita, were pretty easy, but Crabrawler was a nightmare. He has a Z-Move, Power-Up Punch to wreck you normally, and Pursuit in case you thought you could take him down easy with Misdreavus or Driftloon. Half my team went down trying to fight him, and I only won because I got some lucky flinches off of Senketsu (my Torrakat)'s Fire Fang.

Also the riding gear is still incredibly dumb-looking.

EDIT: Whoops, sorry for the brief broken spoiler tags.

Yeah, his Crabrawler absolutely bodied my Grimer with his Z-Move. I managed to Disable Power-Up Punch, but I practically pissed my pants when he began spamming Leer. I had to resort to using Poison Gas with my Grimer and heal spamming just to get rid of him. I really need a third party member on my team. I want Oricorio, but they only appear during the day time in Melemele Island and I have Moon where the time is inverted.

Yeah, his Crabrawler absolutely bodied my Grimer with his Z-Move. I managed to Disable Power-Up Punch, but I practically pissed my pants when he began spamming Leer. I had to resort to using Poison Gas with my Grimer and heal spamming just to get rid of him. I really need a third party member on my team. I want Oricorio, but they only appear during the day time in Melemele Island and I have Moon where the time is inverted.

Prepare for pain with Oricorio, because those jerks can and will call in reinforcements, which is a thing all of the Pokemon in Melemele Meadow can do.

Anyway, I'm getting kind of annoyed with how railroad-y the game has been so far. I just got to the second island, Akala, and rather than get to go catch new Pokemon on Route 4 right away, I've been waylayed by yet another scene of no importance with Lillie and by Dexio and Sina showing up (although at least this time they're actually participating in battles, or at least Dexio is anyway), and I can't even explore the rest of Heahea City without first doing a trial. I had hoped after X and Y Nintendo would have learned their lesson about making the games too railroad-y or at least hide the fact that they're railroading the player better, but alas.

Edited by AzureSen

Wow, Popplio must be a terrible starter choice...

First that teacher with a Magnemite, now Ilima with a Smeargle that uses Leafage. This is starting to just feel plain unfair now. I'm not sure I like this game much anymore.

I mean, every pokemon is going to face things that are strong against it sometimes. There would be no point in catching anything else if they didn't.

Well duh, I'm saying that just about every battle is throwing a Pokemon that type trumps Popplio. Though it isn't like starters haven't had trouble in the early game before. Popplio just seems to have a LOT of trouble.

Also, I'm facing Pokemon whose weaknesses can't really be exploited that well yet. Nothing I'm finding in the wild actually type trumps any of these Pokemon.

Wow, Popplio must be a terrible starter choice...

First that teacher with a Magnemite, now Ilima with a Smeargle that uses Leafage. This is starting to just feel plain unfair now. I'm not sure I like this game much anymore.

The Smeargle changes up its moves depending on the starter. It'll always have a super effective move (Water Gun, Ember or Leafage).

I suppose Magnemite is a bit difficult earlygame without Litten(I doubt Rowlet would be able to hurt it much at all, at least Popplio will probably be faster and can hit it neutrally on it's weaker defense, so neither are great against it).

Though knowing Smeargle, I wouldn't be surprised if it had a move to use against all three starter types, just to try and make it a bit more challenging. I suppose it might be an idea to find things that go neutral against them, even if you have nothing super effective yet. Alolan Rattata has a neutral bite from a pretty low level which will hit hard at that point in the game, I'm sure there are other things around too.

I haven't seen any Rattata in the wild. They might be exclusive to Moon.

But it figures that Smeargle would have a supereffective move regardless of your starter... Still, I managed to win at last. I don't want to lose a lot in the game though, because that also costs you money...

I haven't seen any Rattata in the wild. They might be exclusive to Moon.

Alolan Rattata are just nocturnal, I'm pretty sure, because I have one that I caught at night and I'm playing Sun.

EDIT: Double-checked in the Pokedex and yeah, they're listed as nocturnal only.

Edited by AzureSen

Well duh, I'm saying that just about every battle is throwing a Pokemon that type trumps Popplio. Though it isn't like starters haven't had trouble in the early game before. Popplio just seems to have a LOT of trouble.

Also, I'm facing Pokemon whose weaknesses can't really be exploited that well yet. Nothing I'm finding in the wild actually type trumps any of these Pokemon.

At least it's not Charmander.

It's hard to be worse off than Charmander, what with the first two gyms being good against it.

Also, Popplio line is the best off of the Alola starters competitively from what I've read.

Grubbin does get Mud Slap which Magnemite is 4x weak to fairly early, even if Grubbin doesn't get a type bonus to damage.

Edited by AzureSen

At least it's not Charmander.

It's hard to be worse off than Charmander, what with the first two gyms being good against it.

Charmander is better than Bulbasaur against Brock in RBY (not anymore in FR/LG), because he is able to succeed at a lower level with just Ember, targeting the weaker defensive stat. Also way better than Bulbasaur for the rest of the game due to not being stuck with often subpar grass-type moves for coverage and having Slash.

Yeah, Rattata appears at night, and Yungoos appears in the day. They aren't exclusive, but definitely more common in Moon and Sun, respectively.

What makes you say that? Both Sun and Moon have fixed periods of day and night, during which either one or the other will appear in the wild with the same encounter rates.

What makes you say that? Both Sun and Moon have fixed periods of day and night, during which either one or the other will appear in the wild with the same encounter rates.

Presumably because of how Sun and Moon's day-night cycles are swapped, so if someone plays more during the day in real time they'll be spending more time in Moon's night.

Grubbin does get Mud Slap which Magnemite is 4x weak to fairly early, even if Grubbin doesn't get a type bonus to damage.

I haven't found any Grubbin in the wild either... Man, I guess I haven't been in tall grass enough.

And yeah, what AzureSen said. I play during the day nearly 100% of the time. The only time I don't is if I'm after a Pokemon that only appears at night.

On another note, Flit the Pikipek evolved!

It evolved into a Pokemon called Trumbeak. I like it enough. :)

I haven't found any Grubbin in the wild either... Man, I guess I haven't been in tall grass enough.

They're only found in the grass just outside Iki Town on Melemele Island.

I think it is not necessary to hide texts regarding the game on spoiler tags anymore. The game's out already and a bunch of people might have already looked through data mined stuff.

= EDIT =

I like how Diglett's three hairs are enough to make it a steel type.

they're made of glass, though Edited by Quintessence

Prepare for pain with Oricorio, because those jerks can and will call in reinforcements, which is a thing all of the Pokemon in Melemele Meadow can do.

Anyway, I'm getting kind of annoyed with how railroad-y the game has been so far. I just got to the second island, Akala, and rather than get to go catch new Pokemon on Route 4 right away, I've been waylayed by yet another scene of no importance with Lillie and by Dexio and Sina showing up (although at least this time they're actually participating in battles, or at least Dexio is anyway), and I can't even explore the rest of Heahea City without first doing a trial. I had hoped after X and Y Nintendo would have learned their lesson about making the games too railroad-y or at least hide the fact that they're railroading the player better, but alas.

Luckily, I managed to catch one without too much trouble. First, I encountered a male one. He attempted to call for help, but his crew left him hanging. Next, I encountered a female one that did not want to get into neither the Luxury nor the Heal Balls I threw at her. She apparently wanted to be in a regular ball, for whatever reason. I decided to name her "Senya" after Itachi's theme song from Naruto.

Yeah, I was slightly put off by how they railroaded me when I reached Akala. I still haven't gotten that far as I restarted when it turned daytime to backtrack and get my Oricorio. Still, I'll try to give them the benefit of the doubt for now. At least until I reach a bit further in the game. Hopefully, it won't be too bad.

From what I've heard it's just as bad with the other starters.

Also, that Smeargle have moves of various types.

For example, if you picked Litten, the Smeargle would have a Water move.