Who is the best Avatar?

Who do you think is the best Avatar?  

134 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think is the best Avatar?

• Kris (FE12)
    • Robin (FE13)
    • Corrin (FE14)

I think Birthright Corrin specifically is the best avatar we've had from a story perspective, but maybe I'm just weird.

Edited by Jedi

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Corrin is actually viewed as flawed in Conquest, not sure about the others. That makes him way better than Robin in terms of story. Also Kris is alright but does fuck all in the actual story. Corrin strikes a nice balance, though there are moments where his personality just takes a 180 for whatever reason.

In terms of gameplay, Corrin is an S tier unit but doesn't break the game like Robin/Kris do, though I have yet to see how people will optimize them. Still, they seem more balanced than previous avatars, since their strength lies in versatility rather than overlevelling and/or nosferatanking.

I enjoyed Robin the most. As players, we've always been the tactician of the army and Awakening made that into an actual character (Mark would be first if Mark had a character). I liked the dual protagonists in the story and felt Robin's importance in the plot proportionate.

Kamui is terrible in Conquest and only decent in Birthright. There is WAY too much player worship in that game.

Robin, no contest.

FE3 was Marth's story, and I don't like how in FE12 you get Kris butting into everything and taking the credit for what Marth had accomplished.

Hoshido!Kamui isn't nearly as bad as Nohr!Kamui and Revelations!Kamui (although I still think there are way too many characters sucking up to them), but looking at them as a whole I think Kamui is the worst fictional character I have ever encountered, second only to Bella frickin' Swan.

I don't know, there are some really really bad characters out there, like Kirito from SAO (you know its bad when the abridged parody series does a better job at character development than the main series). Though I do agree, too much pandering for the Avatar of Fates. That and Nohr!Corrin is starting to get on my nerves with being so whiny. While I can understand the caution of Garon being there on the field in the second half of conquest, why he couldn't find a way to sneak Sakura and the others into the Astral Plane makes no sense.

Once I got to chapter 22 it really got on my nerves. Corrin's first move once he "captured" Yukimura, Sakura, and the others should of been bringing them directly to My Castle's prison at least, so they wouldn't of had the problem of the Power Rangers villains showing up and killing everyone again. Garon has no idea that place exists so Sakura would of been completely safe there. Even if there wasn't a way to sneak them out before Garon and his lackeys showed up, he could of gotten at least Sakura out somehow, but instead he is too worried about Santa's evil twin being angry at him.

That and was there no way for him to tell the situation of what is going on to someone in Hoshido? I am pretty sure someone would of listened if Corrin approached alone with no weapons asking only to talk, especially if it was Hinoka or Sakura.

Overall Robin was the best. Corrin has some good points, but there were some serious problems with having the Avatar as the main lord. Good concept, really poor execution. Robin had established flaws, and felt more human. Corrin's flaws are shown, but they are either too much of his character, Nohr, or completely overlooked, Hoshido. I can see the argument that Robin was a little too perfect with strategy, but for the most part I think that was done to explain why you are getting out of situations with no deaths because realistically, people would be dying left and right when you are having to fight a dragon the size of 2 aircraft carriers. I thought the whole Grima situation was actually cool, I just wish they went further into it. the entire second arc could of been replaced with further expanding on Robin, Grima, and the whole time travel situation, because Walhart made absolutely no sense or contribution to the story.

Edited by Tolvir

Hoshido!Kamui isn't nearly as bad as Nohr!Kamui and Revelations!Kamui (although I still think there are way too many characters sucking up to them), but looking at them as a whole I think Kamui is the worst fictional character I have ever encountered, second only to Bella frickin' Swan.

Make note of the bolded. There are still many pieces of media I haven't ever encountered, SAO being one of them.

The biggest problem with Kamui is probably that Nohrmui exists. Revelation!Kamui isn't really great, but Hoshido!Kamui isn't any worse than your standard FE protagonist.

So apparently it's odd that I like Conquest Corrin, hell, he's my fourth favorite character in the franchise. I guess I'm still a non conformist at heart and very proud of it

Compared to Birthright Corrin who I find to be to generic/boring, Conquest Corrin felt very relatable/likable to me, and I easily sympathized with the dude thruout all of Conquest.

Really, this reason is why I voted for him in the poll, before I found out Birthright Corrin was so boring.

Where's the "I want all of them to die in a car fire" option?

Like, this poll is basically asking me which piece of shit smells the least, but I still wouldn't put it on a cracker.

Edited by Dark Sage

I find Chris is the best in terms of gameplay, but his/her presence and how the rest of FE12's cast treat him/her makes self-insert fanfic OC's look believable.

Robin felt sort of tacked on, but he/she at least felt like part of the group and had SOMEWHAT of a personality.

I'm only playing through Conquest atm (will get to Birthright and Revelation once Conquest is finished), but I like that Corrin actually is a character with flaws (maybe a bit TOO flawed, but that's a debate for another day), and he/she doesn't feel tacked on. He/she's not taking the spotlight away from anyone else as the spotlight is already on him/her to begin with.

So for me at the moment, Robin >=Corrin > Chris

Edited by Bullwine85

I really don't like any of them.

Chris is the literal definition of Mary Sue. While, in terms of story, he is the least offensive, I feel Marth suffered development because they needed to fit Chris in to become Marth's bestie.

Robin, just no. He/she annoys me so much (Maybe I would have liked him more, if we could have made him silent like in the Japanese version but c'est la vie).

Corrin is the worst IMO. To much pandering, is literal stupid af in Conquest, bland af is Birthright and in Revelation, twice the army, twice the pandering. Also, he can apparently do no wrong.

This is why Mark is my favourite. He is literally not important to plot at all, is silent so it is easier to project onto him and makes sense as a self-insert since you (the player) are the tactician of Lyn's/Eliwood's/Hector's army and so is Mark, who is you.

However, if I had to choose, I would say Chris, since he is the least offensive to me as a player.

I haven't started my game of Fates yet, so I can't really vote on this yet. However, in terms of gameplay, I liked Chris because he really did feel like he was your own personal unit, as you could pick his starting class and customize him often, and he was also an amazing unit who was eventually capable of clearing a map by himself. Lastly, Iirc, he is the only one able to be reclassed into a Pirate, and Pirates are awesome, thus automatically making him awesome!

Storywise though, he definitely was lacking, but I am not sure if that was the fan translation's fault or just crummy writing in general. And Robin's story presence was not impressive enough for me to want to vote for him instead.

Until I actually play Fates (which I am just waiting for the Roy amiibo's release), I would have to say Chris.

Edited by KFrosty

Corrin represents everything that can go wrong with a self-insert or an avatar in general. Way too bland, way too much player worship, twists the narrative to extents I haven't seen since I read Naruto and far too many Mary Sue qualities than I'm comfortable with. As Sunwoo has already said, I share the sentiment that Conquest Corrin is one of the worst fictional characters I have seen in any media ever, while Revelation is one massive Corrin circlejerk.

Robin wins, as someone aptly put it, by process of elimination.

Bleh, I have a hard time considering any of them "avatars". Honestly, I think Mark is really is the closest thing to one as we've ever had, but even then they aren't really a full avatar either. I suppose out of the three choices, I'd go with Kris. I don't love them or anything, but I appreciate their general distance from the narrative and some of their more charming supports.

Really anyone but Corrin though.

Kris because :

- He doesn't interfere with the story in any way.

- He doesn't steal that much of the lord's spotlight (who is Chrom already?).

- The story is not modeled about him not having to feel guilty for any of his decisions. (hello, Corrin)

Robin is what happens if the strategist could fight and had a voice. Actually this could have been good if he wasn't made so much plot relevant and if that wasn't for any character to have to glorify him. (why did the Virion -male- support ended up that way already?)

As for Corrin, he's pretty much more a victim of the writing than anything else.

Edited by Nintales

Kris because :

- He doesn't interfere with the story in any way.

- He doesn't steal that much of the lord's spotlight (who is Chrom already?).

- The story is not modeled about him not having to feel guilty for any of his decisions. (hello, Corrin)

Robin is what happens if the strategist could fight and had a voice. Actually this could have been good if he wasn't made so much plot relevant and if that wasn't for any character to have to glorify him. (why did the Virion -male- support ended up that way already?)

As for Corrin, he's pretty much more a victim of the writing than anything else.

Y'know, I often hear people say that Robin "stole" the spotlight from Chrom, but who is to say that Chrom was the sole or even primary protagonist of Awakening? He's the Lord, sure, but the opening scene has both him and Robin fighting together and much of the first arc is still Chrom's show.

I saw Robin and Chrom as being equally important, in a similar way Hector was to Eliwood.

Adding on to what I previously said about Robin over Corrin. Robin's customization was 10x better than Corrin's was. I was able to create quite a few different looks I liked because he had better, and more options, including 3 body types. Corrin was really lacking in his. I like that they added the accessories like the eye patch, but there are only 2 hair styles I like, and I only play with the taller body type as I think the shorter one is just too young for my taste. I hope 15 has way better customization options.

I chose Robin because he/she is the only character I know and from what I have been learning about Fates Corrin sounds...pathetic at best (which is why I'll be calling mine Kamui instead of giving the honour of sharing a name with my F!Robin). Still I like Robin and find that they didn't really take away from the story to me. Sure I would have loved to see some character development, but for what it's worth I believe that Robin gave us is the best shot of intergration to the storyline. At least that what it was for me. I can't speak for anyone else.

Y'know, I often hear people say that Robin "stole" the spotlight from Chrom, but who is to say that Chrom was the sole or even primary protagonist of Awakening? He's the Lord, sure, but the opening scene has both him and Robin fighting together and much of the first arc is still Chrom's show.

I saw Robin and Chrom as being equally important, in a similar way Hector was to Eliwood.

I always saw them as dual protagonists. The beginning of the game was all Chrom's spotlight, the middle arc was a mix of both Robin and Chrom, and the final arc was Robin's spotlight. Robin was for the most part only the tactician in the first part, so the story was really focused around Chrom, then in the second it was both of them working together with the two both having their "moments" if you will, and then the final arc still had Chrom relevant to what was going on, but was also finishing up Robin's story.

I have not played Fates so Corrin gets the short end of the stick. But for now I have to say Robin.

Why? Because he is not chosen by some magic sword or has supernatural abilities (that come to play) or is some amazing fighter (as seen in M!RobinXKjelle convo). He uses tactics and strategy of war, which is kinda vital in a WAR. When he went all Sun Tzu on the Valmese fleet is when I liked him the best (though not the aftermath of "damn, that was so great bro". You know how difficult it is to pull a fire attack?) and generally his support convos are great since they showed a maturation over time (compare his 1st gen supports with his 2nd gen supports). And then there is this hidden chessmastery of his when he deceives Validar and even Chrom (should you choose to have Robin sacrifice himself). So yes, definitely Robin.

Corrin. He may be the worst for self-inserting, but he's very integrated into the story (unlike Robin, who hijacks the plot halfway through, and unlike Kris, who outright steals the spotlight from Marth), and he's got the most fleshed-out personality. His achievements also aren't as overblown as the other two, and he's even allowed to fail. That makes him feel the most "human" of the lot, which makes him easier to empathize with.

I chose Robin because he/she is the only character I know and from what I have been learning about Fates Corrin sounds...pathetic at best (which is why I'll be calling mine Kamui instead of giving the honour of sharing a name with my F!Robin). Still I like Robin and find that they didn't really take away from the story to me. Sure I would have loved to see some character development, but for what it's worth I believe that Robin gave us is the best shot of intergration to the storyline. At least that what it was for me. I can't speak for anyone else.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge. I didn't think too highly of Corrin at first either, but he/she is pretty awesome in Birthright at least. And others seem to agree that Birthright Corrin is the best written. If I were you, I'd have waited to vote until I played Fates. But that's just me.