Dealing with no weapon usage limit?

wesman2232

So far I have only played Birthright on Casual Phoenix mode just to get used to the story, characters, new features, etc.

My only problem with it is that since the weapons are now unlimited, i'm not buying anything new. I'm just sticking with what they got when they're recruited. I probably have so much money right now and I haven't even used any of it except for staves and elixers and all.

I know that they have buffs and debuffs depending on the weapon, but right now I dont see the use of buying anything new. During Sacred Stones and Awakening, I had to actively buy more and more weapons and plan who gets what due to weapon levels. Now I don't know what to do with myself. How to deal with this?

Also, is the leveling up stats truly random? How does that work out?

If I were you, I would suggest that you don't buy any new weapons and stick with what you have until your weapon proficiency raises. Then buy that unit an upgraded weapon for the time being.

And yes, I believe that the level up stats are randomized, since sometimes I get 5 stat increases and other times 1 - 3 stat boosts.

If I were you, I would suggest that you don't buy any new weapons and stick with what you have until your weapon proficiency raises. Then buy that unit an upgraded weapon for the time being.

And yes, I believe that the level up stats are randomized, since sometimes I get 5 stat increases and other times 1 - 3 stat boosts.

On Lunatic the level gains are random (I think) and you cannot reset level ups. It will be the same every time be different for everyone I think.

You're playing Phoenix mode there is no point in getting any new weapons. One harder difficulties you can forge better weapons to make your time easier since you need multiple copies of the same weapon to forge, but the game isn't balanced for forged weapons so they can get fairly broken which kills the entertainment value for me personally.

Weapons: You can get through most of the game using just Iron weapons if you want to (Especially on Normal/Phoenix). You will also get just about one of each weapon via random drops by enemies. But the game also gives you lots of Bloom and Sun Festals, so you won't need to spend too much money on them either. So basically, it's not a big deal if you spend some money buying extra weapons. In general, stronger weapons tend to be more useful for the faster, weaker characters (like Hinoka or Saizo) that won't really be affected by the detriments (-3 effective speed, etc). Stronger characters (like Silas or Kagero) get by just fine using only Irons.

On the topic of level-ups: Every character has a set of "growth rates" for each stat. When a character levels up, the game throws a pseudo-random number for each stat, and if it falls within the growth rate the stat levels up. So let's say your Corrin has a 30% Strength growth rate and a 50% speed growth rate. When Corrin levels up, there is a 30% chance he gains a point in strength and a 50% chance he gains a point in speed. These growth rates are not known exactly at the moment (but they have been found and documented for previous games in the series).

As a side note, on Lunatic mode all characters' level ups are pre-determined with a unique random number seed, so you can't reset and try to get different stat gains when you level up.

I really hate the lack of weapon durability, but more from the standpoint of not having an inventory to micro-manage. That was always my favorite thing about FE: always needing to think about what to use based on the future status of my inventory. Now you just walk up to enemies and scroll through your weapon forecast mindlessly and pick the best option. I really like the need to worry about depleting resources and upkeep for your army.

That said, on my blind playthrough of Birthright hard classic iron man, my money hoarding has actually dissolved. Initially I had WAY too much money and it gave me another reason to hate the lack of weapon durability. But after reaching whichever chapter upgrades your shops to rank 3, I bought up as many steroid items as I could (speedwing, etc.). This made me go broke. I understand now that the game expects you to keep buying duplicates of cheap weapons to forge, but since I was learning the game as I was going, I didn't realize how important it was to do ore exchanges and then do colosseum battles to keep all pieces of ore up. It seems too easy to let money overflow and be stuck waiting on ore in that sense, unless you just handle ore much better. I have also been buying and using a bunch of one-off items like the tonics, due to the dangerous nature of my playthrough choice.

So basically, I really hate the loss of weapon durability for ruining the most important aspect of FE to me, but the money hoarding has not to come to fruition if you know what you are doing (on harder modes).

Main use of buying weapons stems from the forging aspect of the game, where you will need to buy 2 weapons of the same type to improve the power of said weapon by one level, with you being able to improve the power level of each weapon twice (requires 4 weapons). Enemies can also occasionally wield these type of upgraded weapons as well. Since almost every weapon in this game has a drawback, forging weapons can either help alleviate these drawback or bolster the weapon's advantages. I think the removal of weapons durability is a rather good change ( at least for me) since my favorite aspect of the weapons durability system was choosing the right moment to use a particular weapon, which is still the case in this game as every weapon has a particular strength and drawback (weaker weapons buff your stats, but suffer from being too weak, while stronger weapons are quite powerful, but will debuff your stats). Forging new weapons is also a satisfying experience and still gives the player an incentive to buy more weapons.

I never cared for FE's implementation of weapon durability because all I did was load my inventory up with 4 javelins and a killer lance and called it a day (FE throws a lot of money at you anyway) and now I actually think about what weapon do I want to use more

I'm not digging it either. The relationship between legendary weapon and an iron sword is totally different in this game than in the past ones. It took me a while to get use to just using Yato like any ol' iron sword with reckless abandon.

But there was clearly thought put into the new system. Bronze weapons giving +10 dodge, steel weapons giving -3 Speed etc. every weapon is as unique as ever. I'll reserve judgment until I beat at least Conquest.

Play Conquest on Classic and tell me if you don't need to buy new weapons.

I'm mixed on the matter of durability and weapon effects. Both systems work but they have their strengths and flaws. Some weapon effects could be better balanced so forged irons doesn't trump everything. They could start by removing the "Bronze weapons can't crit or activate skills" garbage.

I never cared for FE's implementation of weapon durability because all I did was load my inventory up with 4 javelins and a killer lance and called it a day (FE throws a lot of money at you anyway) and now I actually think about what weapon do I want to use more

I share the same sentiment. In Awakening it was just Hand Axes and Javelins all day every day. I hated burning unique weapons on grinding. Now, I get to think about the weapons more. I really like the aesthetics of the silver weapons but it's rather disappointing how they inflict penalties. I'm trying to remember if forging them can reduce it. Probably not.

I share the same sentiment. In Awakening it was just Hand Axes and Javelins all day every day. I hated burning unique weapons on grinding. Now, I get to think about the weapons more. I really like the aesthetics of the silver weapons but it's rather disappointing how they inflict penalties. I'm trying to remember if forging them can reduce it. Probably not.

The penalties won't be removed by forging, but they have the niche of "getting rid of shit you really want to kill" and then just swap to something else later. Situational, but still useful.

That way once you get Silvers it makes Irons still relevant, but something like a Silver+1 is really good for punting something off the map.

Honestly I like it.

The new forging is honestly better and sorta makes more sense than just straight gold. Also having 5 MT/Crit spears on everyone wasn't exactly the pinnacle of fun. Its actually kinda nice having to make the decision of do I NEED the extra up front damage enough to deal with the stat drop tanking EP.

Unless you're hana, then just steel katana yolo kill everything. ITS ALL ME