Who should I give the skill scrolls to?

So I finally started my PoR playthrough and am on chapter 11 and have acquired my first skill scroll, counter (I missed the chance to get miracle in chapter 7 because I didn't know thieves didn't drop scrolls)

When do I get my next scrolls and who should I give them too? Right now I'm using; Ike (duh), Titania, Oscar, Boyd, Rhys, Soren, Illyana, Mist and Marica and plan to make room for Kieran and Nephenee.

Later I also plan to make some room for Jill, Astrid, Tormad and Haar. Which scrolls should I give to which units?

Counter is a crappy skill in POR, it rarely activates and when it does, it does very little damage

Its a waste of space so give it to one of your less useful characters

as for future scrolls, save all the best for Nephenee, Haar and Soren

and get rid of Mist and Tormod, they're not worthy

Edited by locard

and get rid of Mist and Tormod, they're not worthy

Sorry, no can do. I have a magic bias.

I mean I understand where you're coming from but I just really like mist and tormod and can't bring myself to bench them

Edited by EarthboundAddict

So I finally started my PoR playthrough and am on chapter 11 and have acquired my first skill scroll, counter (I missed the chance to get miracle in chapter 7 because I didn't know thieves didn't drop scrolls)

When do I get my next scrolls and who should I give them too? Right now I'm using; Ike (duh), Titania, Oscar, Boyd, Rhys, Soren, Illyana, Mist and Marica and plan to make room for Kieran and Nephenee.

Later I also plan to make some room for Jill, Astrid, Tormad and Haar. Which scrolls should I give to which units?

Actually, thieves only drop the first item they stole, if they stole anything.

That said, I can't really say.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia

Sorry, no can do. I have a magic bias.

I mean I understand where you're coming from but I just really like mist and tormod and can't bring myself to bench them

If you like mages, then prepare to be dissapointed with Mist once she promotes to valkyrie, because she wont use magic, only staves and swords, and with her pathetic strenght she will be useless even for opening doors. really, Mist is one of the worst characters in the game. as for Tormod, unlike Mist, he can be decent if you take the time to train him, but Soren, Calill and Illyana are better options

If you like mages, then prepare to be dissapointed with Mist once she promotes to valkyrie, because she wont use magic, only staves and swords, and with her pathetic strenght she will be useless even for opening doors. really, Mist is one of the worst characters in the game. as for Tormod, unlike Mist, he can be decent if you take the time to train him, but Soren, Calill and Illyana are better options

Damn...that sucks. Still though, with the power of bias, Bexp and healing every minor scratch I see on the battlefield I won't give up on mist!

Here are more recommendations:

- Ike - dont waste skills on him, he'll get aether automatically later in the game and that's more than enough. give him A support with Soren if you want a killer, ambiguosly gay, duo

- Titania, Oscar and Kieran can be better paladins but if you still want to use her, give her Savior and A support with Rhys

- Oscar - give him A support with Kieran, promote him so he can use axes for more power, for skills, Sol is a good option

- Kieran - his personal skill Gamble is shit, so dont rely on it, give him Sol and A support with Oscar for a lot of evasion for both units

- Rhys. great healer but too fragile, and the only unit who can use light magic, dont send him to the front lines. in fact, i suggest the skills Shade, and Miracle in order to keep him alive if he gets hit

- Illyana - she's also too fragile, keep her Shade ability so she doesn't get targeted by enemies. with Adept she could be almost as good as Soren if you train her (in fact, Adept is a great skill for ANY unit). Give her A support with Zihark for evasion boost, she'll need it

Marcia - give her Resolve and a forged weapon, she's good at taking down mages

- Nephenee. one of my favorite units, dodges a lot but also can take hits, keep her Wrath skill and give her Vantage or Adept, maybe a couple energy drops to make her even deadlier.

- Haar. This guy is a beast. already has Guard and a huge ass defense, so he's excellent for rescuing units. give him the Delphi shield to protect him from arrows and you'll have the best tank in the game, and a flying one to boot.

- Jill. she's an inferior version of Haar, so i'd rather use him instead . you can give her Guard and the delphi shield, and use items to increase her defense, even then she wont even come close to Haar

- Astrid. she appears very late in the game, but fortunately she has Paragon, so she'll gain exp quickly, promote her to axe user, delete paragon once she reaches 20/20 and give her Sol, she can be pretty good but requires some dedication

I disagree with you on that, big time.

elaborate? she's the most fragile character in the game and cant defend herself

as for healers, you can replace her with Rhys or any sage later in the game. only good thing about her would be her superior mobility as Valkyrie compared to other healers who lack horses, but even then..not worthy

Edited by locard

- Ike - dont waste skills on him, he'll get aether automatically later in the game and that's more than enough. give him A support with Soren if you want a killer, ambiguosly gay, duo

- Titania, Oscar and Kieran can be better paladins but if you still want to use her, give her Savior and A support with Rhys

- Oscar - give him A support with Kieran, promote him so he can use axes for more power, for skills, Sol is a good option

- Kieran - his personal skill Gamble is shit, so dont rely on it, give him Sol and A support with Oscar for a lot of evasion for both units

- Rhys. great healer but too fragile, and the only unit who can use light magic, dont send him to the front lines. in fact, i suggest the skills Shade, and Miracle in order to keep him alive if he gets hit

- Illyana - she's also too fragile, keep her Shade ability so she doesn't get targeted by enemies. with Adept she could be almost as good as Soren if you train her (in fact, Adept is a great skill for ANY unit). Give her A support with Zihark for evasion boost, she'll need it

Marcia - give her Resolve and a forged weapon, she's good at taking down mages

- Nephenee. one of my favorite units, dodges a lot but also can take hits, keep her Wrath skill and give her Vantage or Adept, maybe a couple energy drops to make her even deadlier.

- Haar. This guy is a beast. already has Guard and a huge ass defense, so he's excellent for rescuing units. give him the Delphi shield and you'll have the best (flying) tank in the game.

- Jill. she's an inferior version of Haar, so i'd rather use him instead . you can give her Guard and the delphi shield, and use items to increase her defense, even then she wont even come close to Haar

- Astrid. she appears very late in the game, but fortunately she has Paragon, so she'll gain exp quickly, promote her to axe user, delete paragon once she reaches 20/20 and give her Sol, she can be pretty good but requires some dedication

elaborate? she's the most fragile character in the game and cant defend herself

as for healers, you can replace her with Rhys or any sage later in the game. only good thing about her would be her superior mobility as Valkyrie compared to other healers who lack horses, but even then..not worthy

Titania doesn't want to support Rhys, in large part because of move difference and the fact that neither of them gets any real benefit from it.

Rhys, to put it bluntly, is a poor man's Sage. Light magic is a bad joke in PoR, sorry to say.

As to why I disagree with you on Mist: She has a good support list, in addition to being a mounted healer, neither of which Rhys can claim. Also, I'd argue Rhys is even worse off durability wise.

Titania doesn't want to support Rhys, in large part because of move difference and the fact that neither of them gets any real benefit from it.

Rhys, to put it bluntly, is a poor man's Sage. Light magic is a bad joke in PoR, sorry to say.

As to why I disagree with you on Mist: She has a good support list, in addition to being a mounted healer, neither of which Rhys can claim. Also, I'd argue Rhys is even worse off durability wise.

Titania gets a small boost in attack and defense from supporting Rhys, and a huge boost in accuracy, which can be useful (for Titania) because

a- promoted units like Titania take a lot of time to increase statistics

b- axes are the most innacurate weapons in the game

I dont like Rhys either, in fact, I tend to bench him as soon as I get my first sage, im just giving suggestions based on the names the op gave us. Anyway, Elincia is the best healer in the game, mobility wise too.

Mist might be worthy of training and promoting just to make the fight with the Black Knight easier later in the game, but not much else. As for her supports, I think Mordecai is the only unit that gives her the strenght she needs to be useful combat wise, but I dont like to use Mordecai so...

Titania gets a small boost in attack and defense from supporting Rhys, and a huge boost in accuracy, which can be useful (for Titania) because

I dont like Rhys either, in fact, I tend to bench him as soon as I get my first sage, im just giving suggestions based on the names the op gave us. Anyway, Elincia is the best healer in the game, mobility wise too.

Mist might be worthy of training and promoting just to make the fight with the Black Knight easier later in the game, but not much else. As for her supports, I think Mordecai is the only unit that gives her the strenght she needs to be useful combat wise, but I dont like to use Mordecai so...

I fail to see it as worthwhile given that full hit really isn't worth "ooh"ing or "aah"ing over, as well as Titania having better options...

The problem with that assessment is that Elincia's only available for all of three chapters. Her flight isn't nearly as much of an advantage as you think it is, either...

Also, fwiw, Mist gets full attack or full defence from all of her supporters bar one, and that one is the only bad support option she has (AKA, Rolf).

Well, you might not wanna give Ike any scrolls for now until after promotion in order to ensure that he has enough capacity for his Occult Skill. There are special scrolls called Occult, which allow promoted units to learn special skills. In theory, those are supposed to be Ueber skills but in practice few are actually worth it. Ike's Occult Skill is Aether, which in this game has the same activation rate as other skills, so it ends up combining the effects of 3 different useful skills with no drawbacks. The only other Occult Skill that I would say is worth it, is Sol which can be learned by Paladins.

Otherwise, I can't really give much of an advice. Most skills rely on random chance, so they could potentially backfire. So I personally prefer not to use them, unless it's a skill with no drawbacks like Miracle, Vantage or Sol.

Edited by BrightBow

Paladins are the only units worth having an Occult scroll put on them besides Ike. The rest of the occult skills are pretty trashy in the first one. Most skills that you get that aren't Resolve, Vantage, Adept, and Wrath are pretty dubious to be honest. Parity is lame how it works in this one, and Miracle is alright I guess, but I hate relying off of skills like that, but I guess you can put it on someone with the space anyways. Outside of them, there's no reason to worry about skills too much.

- Haar. This guy is a beast. already has Guard and a huge ass defense, so he's excellent for rescuing units. give him the Delphi shield to protect him from arrows and you'll have the best tank in the game, and a flying one to boot.

Uh... What? No he isn't. Not in PoR. Jill is most definitely better than Haar in PoR. She's faster, has enough defense, and her speed lead is enough to double enemies that Haar cannot, and Haar has overkill durability while Jill does not. In addition to that, Haar joins at chapter 23, Jill joins at Chapter 12. There's no reason not to use her here. Jill's speed and offense > Haar's defense, plus it'll make recruiting him easier because Jill is the one that recruits him.

Lances are the most common weapon you will be fighting in the game. Titania uses lances and axes, so she really doesn't need much for accuracy. Axes are hardly that inaccurate, and neither is Titania. To put this into perspective, Ike has to be level 17 on average to have reliably have more skill and luck than base stat Titania while he's constantly fighting at WTD which gives him a penalty on accuracy. If Axes are causing that much accuracy problems for Titania, then use lances, if she still can't hit anything, then no one is hitting whatever it is she's attacking. Regardless, Boyd is also fire, and more likely to be near Titania than Rhys. Realistically, Titania wants Boyd and Ike (but might have to settle for Mist). As for Mist, Mist gives herself extra strength by virtue of being water. With that team, the best thing he could do is support Mist/Titania/Boyd for a triangle of bonuses from each other.

Supports I'd go like this for that team:

Ike : A Soren B Oscar

Oscar : B Kieran , B Ike, Ignore the last support bonus, he'll be so dodgy that it won't even matter.

Soren: A Ike -- His only other support is Stefan, and it doesn't seem like you're using him (or like many sword units in general).

Titania: A Boyd , B Mist

Mist: B titania, B Boyd, C Jill

Kieran: A Marcia , B Oscar

Marcia: A Kieran

Jill: C Mist A Haar

Unfortunately Neph, Ilyana and Tormod won't be getting many supports with the team you have here, but no matter. You can give these units the skills to make up for the fact that they don't have supports.

Ike doesn't get auto aether in FE9... and I don't even recommend it to give to him at least in endgame.

Wrath (+ resolve later when you get it) work better on him.

I always to make use of skill combos.

For example I give cancel to Mia, because vantage + cancel work pretty well for her.

Nephenee with vantage + wrath is also great.

Since adept is based on skill and not on speed as in FE10, you could give it to pretty much each fighting unit

Counter is a good skill for front units with a low defense like Boyd.

Gamble is a good skill for units with a forged weapon. Rolf with his brother bond supports would benefit the most from it.

Occult skill works the best for the paladins, because it costs 100% of their capacity and sun is a very nice skill.

Aether is the best skill for Ike in the beginning, but as I said, NOT in the endgame.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach