First Playtrough of Blazing sword.. Advice anyone?

Michelaar

So, I decided that I'd start to play older Fire emblem game to be able to talk better and more about them. So I'm at chapter 3 of Blazing sword, and I just recruited Florina and Wil. But I'm pretty horrible at FE, so I wanted some advice on how not to lose anyone, and to see who I need to watch out for. Any advice?

If you've played enough FE to know you aren't crash-hot at it, you should be fine with FE7 on the lowest difficulty. It's a game with strong pre-promotes, so don't be afraid to use them to patch up the holes in your squad - and especially if you use Marcus and Oswin as your early panic buttons, you shouldn't have any problems.

It's also not hard enough that you can't just use all the characters you want - as in, they won't hold you back even if they aren't as strong as others. So, yeah, just take it easy.

Keep in mind that 420 Blazed Sword was the first game to make it to the west, so the added tutorial mode (Lyn's Tale) was designed specifically in mind for first-time players. There's a very natural difficulty curve, plus the option to replay the game on a harder difficulty (and/or scenario) once you beat it for the first time. Also, there really aren't any outright horrible characters or confusing maps, at least for a while, so you should just breeze though and enjoy the game.

Its a simple game. No real weak zeldas and any character can end up really good. As for character I personally want you (not advice) to use is Bartre, Fiora and Lucius. My favorites from this game ;)

Seriously though, Austin and Parrhesia already mentioned what's to mention. The game is really fair, and the only "tough" parts are the mid-game (in Eliwood mode as that's what you get first play through), and even that's pretty easy.

Also something to note is in the first 10 chapters (Basically all of the ones where Lyn is the MC), those items will not carry over to the main plot, so don't be afraid to just go all out and use statboosters and the Mani Katti (They actually fix it for the main story which begins chapter 11? 12? One of those two haha).

As for overall advice, don't get too indecisive on character picks, there are limited promotion items in the GBA titles and they are tailored to specific classes, so you're going to have to be a little careful on that.

Don't be afraid to use prepromoted units, this is a trap people tend to fall into as well.

Yeah, thanks! I will do just that. I already really enjoy it, and TitanicIcebergs, I will be sure to use those characters once I recruit them.

Sweet baby Jesus, I'm a happy man now. Fiora is a bit "tricky" to recruit, chapter 17 I believe it is you need to field Florina. She recruits her.

As a thank you for the advice, one of my fails.

I managed to get Sain killed by the Ch. 3 Boss.

That's Glass, the Merc right? Don't worry, just reboot and remember that you have vulneraries.

Also something to note is in the first 10 chapters (Basically all of the ones where Lyn is the MC), those items will not carry over to the main plot, so don't be afraid to just go all out and use statboosters and the Mani Katti (They actually fix it for the main story which begins chapter 11? 12? One of those two haha).

As for overall advice, don't get too indecisive on character picks, there are limited promotion items in the GBA titles and they are tailored to specific classes, so you're going to have to be a little careful on that.

Don't be afraid to use prepromoted units, this is a trap people tend to fall into as well.

I think it's chapter 11. And yeah, spam those items.

Units you want to keep alive so that they git gud later: Sain (RIP), Kent, Florina, Dorcas, Serra, maybe Erk, Lucius, Matthew, maybe Rath. These you should not let die because they become quite good later.

• 2 weeks later...

Nobody dies in the first 10 chapters, although when they come back after chapter 11, they'll have their base stats instead of the stats that they had at the end of chapter 10. Whether you want to restart the chapter in which Sain "died" or whether you want to press on, he will rejoin you after chapter 11.

The same cannot be said after chapter 11, though; anyone who falls in battle then will never be able to be deployed again.

Try to not use every single character, keep a balance between your units but don't use too many because you can't stretch enough EXP for everyone.

Try to not use every single character, keep a balance between your units but don't use too many because you can't stretch enough EXP for everyone.

There's not enough EXP for everyone to get to 20/20, of course, but most characters are still viable in the endgame even if they're only 20/5 or so.

But unless you use the Secret Shops, there aren't enough promotion items for everyone anyway.

Since you're just starting off, I'd suggest focusing on the Lords and one non-Lord character for each weapon type; that'll give you a good 11-man team, which is all you really need.

Yeah, generally speaking you want an A-Team and then just kind of patching up the holes with your best remaining units at the time.

In my first playthrough I had problems with this, so I think it might be worthy to note : If you struggle with getting promotional items, try to make use of your thieves' steal command since some enemy units carry important items, but don't drop them. You can save some money by stealing Vulneraries etc., too.

• 4 weeks later...

Use Canas, you can recruit him in chapter 16x, which you can unlock by keeping at least one green soldier alive in chapter 16. He's recruited by entering one of the houses on that map. Try to use Guy, but if he won't level up strength after a few levels you should probably bench him. Raven is a good unit, he's recruited in chapter 16 by a unit you'll get in a village in chapter 14.

I'd say promote your useful units as soon as possible and level up your magic users well because they will be really useful later on (melee fighters are really good too especially Raven, Oswin, Sain, and if your lucky Guy just to name a few but magic is more useful in later chapters). You can easily figure out the units you should use shortly into Eliwood's story. Also because you'll need them for the chapter "Battle Before Dawn" try to keep Matthew and/or Legault alive and don't promote them until after.

I'd say promote your useful units as soon as possible and level up your magic users well because they will be really useful later on (melee fighters are really good too especially Raven, Oswin, Sain, and if your lucky Guy just to name a few but magic is more useful in later chapters). You can easily figure out the units you should use shortly into Eliwood's story. Also because you'll need them for the chapter "Battle Before Dawn" try to keep Matthew and/or Legault alive and don't promote them until after.

Aside from the fact that you don't get the item needed to promote them until after BBD anyways, I'd disagree on promoting early, since it'd likely do more harm than good - the promotion bonuses in this game aren't that great as to warrant it.

• 2 weeks later...

I would early promote (level 10) healers early and perhaps Pegasus riders because they are so hard to level up. Healers really need to work on their tomes weapon skill asap if you want them to use late game tomes. As for Pegasus riders, I only found them effective at fighting other magic units and even then they could be squishy. Promoting them early (between 10 to 15) will help make them more effective early on which you want to do because late game I'd just send in melee units to kill mages.

I would early promote (level 10) healers early and perhaps Pegasus riders because they are so hard to level up. Healers really need to work on their tomes weapon skill asap if you want them to use late game tomes. As for Pegasus riders, I only found them effective at fighting other magic units and even then they could be squishy. Promoting them early (between 10 to 15) will help make them more effective early on which you want to do because late game I'd just send in melee units to kill mages.

In general, the lategame tomes are too heavy to be worth using - it's not like your healers would want to be using something like Divine, which is 12 Wt, or Fimbulvetr, also 12 Wt. And again, the negative aspects of promoting early outweigh the good it'd do.

Edited by Levant Mir Celestia