I've some suspicions about Conquest Chapter 14...

Selena4Lyfe

I'm going to be straightforward and say that I positively love this chapter for a number of reasons. Two primary (and superficial...ish) reasons why this is the case for me is firstly, that song that plays out before the mission begins. Azura's beautiful singing, glorious dancing, and waterbending aside, there's another reason why I love that song, but I'll get into that in a couple minutes. Second, Keaton. Not only is his warewolf/wolfkin form oddly hilarious as well as awesome, but he makes for a wonderful tank unit that can also hit hard (and will clearly be my key to finally beating Lucina and recruiting her into my army). What's more, he's the second consecutive new tank in a row that TROUNCES Effie in utility - and gives me just technical cause to drop that one-note, stupid-sounding, blindly strength and gym obsessed .... I can't think of an insulting noun that doesn't rhyme with pitch, and I really don't feel like using that right now ... from my party. (I never should have come to realize how heavily changed and stripped her character was in the NA localization from her JP original)

But the other thing that makes me rather love this chapter (for the time being) is the underlying implications I'm left with after this chapter concludes. By the end of both Chapters 13 and 14, it's made abundantly clear that basically none of Garon's kids like the guy. However, I'm thoroughly suspicious at how none of them recognized Azura when she was on-stage doing her performance. I mean honestly, how many slender, long-blue-haired dancer/singers that can control water actually exist in Nohr? What's more, how would Azura be set up to give the performance? Being someone who would have only been to Neste for the first time in her life, the likelihood of her actually being billed to perform would be stupidly slim...let alone her being billed to perform a solo act, yet nobody would be at all aware of the fact that a missing princess of Nohr would be performing in a famous Opera House with Venice-styled canoes in a circular moat!

As such, I think the events of Chapter 14 was an orchestrated assassination attempt between Azura, and at least Leo and Camilla. I suspect that at some point prior to Corrin's proceeding with the mission to crush the rebellion of Cheve, Azura met up with them, discussed how her singing had the ability to impact dragons/dragonkin in various ways, and with that knowledge in-hand, the three siblings devised this assassination. I'd be willing to bet that Leo gave Garron the idea to head to attend a show at Neste to celebrate his daughter's latest string of victories, especially after the slaughter of Cheve, and it was prearranged that Camilla would direct Corrin there after the Cheve mission was completed, regardless of the outcome. I'm betting if only they'd factored in Iago and found a way to remove him from Garron's side during the show, the singing hit would've been a complete success.

But that's just a theory that a child could probably have thought of. Also, I can't begin to figure out how Corrin never thought that it could have been Azura by the simple fact that she looked exactly like her, just with black on rather than white... I call negligible storytelling on that note. Had she not still thought it wasn't Azura in the text leading into the following mission (I only know about it because I'd proceeded afterwards - w/o saving - despite losing three units just to see how the story would pan out from there), I'd have figured she was thinking on her feet and played dumb to protect her; she easily could have been written to be wondering why Azura would try to curse her dad, even if the reasoning would probably seem obvious. As is, however, if my silly theory is actually right, then it just makes Corrin look really stupid...Something that's a bit of a pattern with her characterization. Maybe the writers think stupidity and naivety are the same thing? I dunno...

Anyway, what are y'alls thoughts on the matter?

Edited by Selena4Lyfe

It's odd that they don't even bring up her hair color and length while searching for the songstress, and Corrin even seems surprised when she reveals that it was her there, rather than suspecting anything from the start.

However, I don't think the general lack of identification is that weird, in spite of her bad disguise. Up to that point, the only Nohr royal shown interacting with Azura in the main story is Elise, and the dancer is alone in the middle of the stage, with the crowd watching from far away. It's not odd that they can't recognize her. Garon also only meets adult Azura once, and very briefly. The issue is with Corrin, who is close to her and yet ends up just as blind as everyone else.

Edited by NeonZ

Same face so strong in Fates that Corrin couldn't tell Azura is Azura when she changes her costume.

..Anyway, I don't have time to type up an educated response right now, but I will when I get home. Its interesting to think about.

It's certainly interesting to think about, I will say that.

I still don't know why Thalia (my Avatar in teh game) couldn't figure out that it was Azura. It's kinda baffling. It's just a palette swap really!

It reminded me of Sailor Moon.

"Minako is Sailor Venus?! Omg you look so different when you're wearing a school uniform instead! Omg you guys look completely different too!"

At least Azure had something over her face a bit.

I'm not sure if I would believe that Camilla and Leo would secretly set up an attempt to hurt Garon.

At the end of the game they don't want to harm him even once his true form is revealed. They still see him as their father who was once a man who was worthy of respect.

It took Xander stepping up first to get them to step up too.

I agree that Azura must have had help to be in a position to dance at that event, and the most likely helpers are Leo and Camilla.

As for recognising her, do keep in mind that while the camera is close to her, the characters probably aren't. Still, yeah, Corrin should probably have known, even from that distance. I was surprised she didn't voice her suspicions when she was alone with Azura later, but the game does paint her as rather naive.