Fates Advice Thread

Alex95

Finally got a copy of Birthright yesterday (I'm fighting so hard to not spell it "birthday" on accident XD). I put it off for a bit because of life and I thought that, gameplay-wise, it would be similar to Awakening.

Boy, was I WRONG! While the core mechanic of the gameplay hasn't changed much (it's a strategy game. What are you gonna do?), the difficulty level is INSANE!! Just like Awakening, I'm playing on Hard/Casual because I don't want this to be easy or lose my units. Well....it's not easy, so I got that wish granted...

Let's start at the beginning of my run through so far. The starting chapter shows you the units in the game from both sides. I think that's a nice touch, now you can get to know the people you're about to kill! Quick battle intro and stuff happens, then you're brought to a fortress pillar for the first chapter where you train against Xander. ...Couldn't they have just put all this in one chapter or something?

Chapter 2 begins afterward and I now have Gunter and Felicia fighting some people from Hoshido (Rinka and Kaze) I swear, these names are not easy to remember... Anyway, that's done and Chapter 3 begins and here's where things really start to get difficult.

Three paths are set before me, the bridge to the north and two Dragon Vein bridges to the south. I decided to go to the Vein bridge in the middle. ...Nope. All units dead. Then I decide "Okay, let's not take a shortcut and decide to train." Bad idea. All units dead again! Going with the south-most bridge this time. Reinforcements?! REALLY? ...Alright, fourth try, here we go. Yes! FINALLY! ...Gunter, nooooooooooooo!

Chapter 4 was relatively easy, as all the enemies headed north toward Hinoka and Sakura (sensing a Japanese theme here...). Ryoma makes quick work of the enemies and I was able to get to the two girls easily. Mission complete!

Now for the chapter I'm currently on. Chapter 5. Wait......... my mom dies?! This game just keeps getting better.... Anyway, I'm now a dragon and EVERY STINKING ENEMY on the map is effective against me. Wyrmslayers, thunder magic... My units are terrible for some reason as they can only do 2-5 damage at one time whereas the enemy can do, like, 12. I'm the only one who can do any significant damage, but that goes both ways. To make matters worse, Ryoma is down at the bottom taking care of the boss and he goes down in two hits! It's like the game threw every challenge my way and expects me to live through it! I can't abuse Azura or Sakura because they're only level 1, and Rinka and Kaze go down just as easily. If only Felicia didn't keep dying back in Ch. 3 so I could train more, but that would've still only meant *I* have to do all the work. Is this level even possible? I was told Birthright is easier than Conquest (my brothers are screwed, then XD), but this is insane!

Forget this. I'll go back to playing Awakening and training up for Apotheosis. At least I know I'll clear that map some day...

EDIT: Changed topic title. Need any help? Ask for some here!

EDIT2: Dun goofed the tags

Edited by Power Master

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funnily enough, you aren't even AT birthright yet. Technically you are just in "Fates". You are not in Birthright, Revelation or Conquest yet.

If you played Conquest OR Revelation, the game gets a LOT harder once you get into that story! If it's too hard, you should just go try Normal/Casual.

Edited by Fallaner

Dragon Corrin can easily kill Chapter 5's boss.

And while Birthright is the easier version, it's still not as easy as Awakening.

In particular, the later maps of Birthright really ramps up the difficulty.

Funnily enough, you aren't even AT birthright yet. Technically you are just in "Fates". You are not in Birthright, Revelation or Conquest yet.

If you played Conquest OR Revelation, the game gets a LOT harder once you get into that story! If it's too hard, you should just go try Normal/Casual.

Yeah, I know I'm not to the "meat" of the game, yet. And I don't want to go to Normal, that just sounds wimpy and I don't want this to be easy. Just doable.

Dragon Corrin can easily kill Chapter 5's boss.

And while Birthright is the easier version, it's still not as easy as Awakening.

In particular, the later maps of Birthright really ramps up the difficulty.

I CAN'T EVEN GET TO THE BOSS!!!!

For Chapter 3, you should pair up Gunter and Corrin in order to give Corrin some extra defensive heft. Keep Felicia right behind them and bait out enemies one by one. For those that aren't Archers, have Felicia attack from the rear. Not only will you debuff the enemy, but Corrin should put in a dual strike as well. Afterwards, have Corrin finish off the foe. For the Archers, have Gunter in the lead to bait them, then switch to Corrin for the finish. If it's safe, get Felicia in close for debuffing.

Chapter 5 is all about using your crew to effectively bait enemies, while having Corrin clean house. I believe you clear out the mercs on the left first, pairing up Kaze with Rinkah and luring them close. Corrin will then be able to oneshot them, with some assistance from Azura to ensure you get them both on one turn.

After that, slowly lure everyone else into range and expose them to some Draconic Rage.

Yeah, I know I'm not to the "meat" of the game, yet. And I don't want to go to Normal, that just sounds wimpy and I don't want this to be easy. Just doable.

Uhhh... so what if it's "wimpy"? You want a challenge. Normal can still sometimes be a challenge. If you're complaining and saying you're going to quit because it's too hard, it's only logical to follow through... by decreasing the difficulty.

You really don't want anyone fighting those mercenaries but Corrin, I feel. Send him just in range of the two on the left turn one so they suicide on the enemy phase, then use Azura to get him over to the other side turn two and send your whole team down that side. Kaze and Rinkah can take care of the mages with Sakura's help so just have Corrin focus on OHKOing the mercenaries (although by all means let him kill a mage if it's in his way). Making smart decisions with Azura depending on the situation is the key here.

While I'm not too worried about the Mages, the Mercs are pretty killer. They're paired up so they can normally attack twice, but with 22 atk power. Corrin (Alex in this case. I know. I'm creative) has 25 HP. Azura dies easily and I'm having trouble keeping her alive, but I get the tactic.

Uhhh... so what if it's "wimpy"? You want a challenge. Normal can still sometimes be a challenge. If you're complaining and saying you're going to quit because it's too hard, it's only logical to follow through... by decreasing the difficulty.

Eh, then I have to go through it all again, right? Nah, I'll remain skeptical and stay with the challenge. At least it'll be really satisfying when I finally beat it.

I'll try again later when I'm done working on my own game for the morning.

I'm trying to get to Chapter 6 where everything goes down and I can train more. Maybe recruit Marth if I can...

Edited by Power Master

You really don't want anyone fighting those mercenaries but Corrin, I feel. Send him just in range of the two on the left turn one so they suicide on the enemy phase, then use Azura to get him over to the other side turn two and send your whole team down that side. Kaze and Rinkah can take care of the mages with Sakura's help so just have Corrin focus on OHKOing the mercenaries (although by all means let him kill a mage if it's in his way). Making smart decisions with Azura depending on the situation is the key here.

No, Corrin has to initiate the attacks. On Hard, I think both those mercs have Wyrmslayers, so if you let them strike first, one will whack Corrin for around 17 or so damage, die to Corrin's counter, thereby allowing the other merc to come finish the job.

And I don't want to go to Normal, that just sounds wimpy and I don't want this to be easy. Just doable.

While I'm not too worried about the Mages, the Mercs are pretty killer. They're paired up so they can normally attack twice, but with 22 atk power. Corrin (Alex in this case. I know. I'm creative) has 25 HP. Azura dies easily and I'm having trouble keeping her alive, but I get the tactic.

Eh, then I have to go through it all again, right? Nah, I'll remain skeptical and stay with the challenge. At least it'll be really satisfying when I finally beat it.

I'll try again later when I'm done working on my own game for the morning.

I'm trying to get to Chapter 6 where everything goes down and I can train more. Maybe recruit Marth if I can...

Well at least when you beat chapter 6, you can tune down the difficulty on the map menu without starting over.

You get better by playing a difficulty appropriate to your skill. If you just bash your head into it, lose, not learn anything, and have your pride get in the way of making the difficulty to a point where you can learn things... nothing will come of it.

I seriously hate this culture of "anything lower than hard mode is for babies".

Edited by shadowofchaos

Well at least when you beat chapter 6, you can tune down the difficulty on the map menu without starting over.

You get better by playing a difficulty appropriate to your skill. If you just bash your head into it, lose, not learn anything, and have your pride get in the way of making the difficulty to a point where you can learn things... nothing will come of it.

I seriously hate this culture of "anything lower than hard mode is for babies".

I'm constantly learning, but I've played the map like five times already, so I am getting a little irritated.

And I don't mean "Normal mode is for babies." I just like to stick with my decisions and the consequences that come from it, and to test myself.

I can imagine myself still doing the prologue on Lunatic, just like Awakening, though haha.

I'll boot up the game again now and see what I can do.

I find it weird though that Takumi and Hinoka are nowhere to be seen during this chapter...

Edited by Power Master

Normal Classic on Hoshido no grind has its difficulty spikes that even veterans don't see coming.

The fact that you've played it five times means you need to step back and reevaluate your approach. That also includes considering the difficulty you got yourself into. That's a part of learning too.

Whatever happens, good luck.

Edited by shadowofchaos

You can just turn down your difficulty can't you?

He refuses to do that. I tried suggesting it and he called it wimpy.

Honestly, I think he really SHOULD turn it down, it seems he's having way too much trouble and is just freaking out and said he was going to quit.

He refuses to do that. I tried suggesting it and he called it wimpy.

Honestly, I think he really SHOULD turn it down, it seems he's having way too much trouble and is just freaking out and said he was going to quit.

lol.

If you're having this much trouble with the game to the point where you're considering dropping it entirely, it's a good idea to just turn down the difficulty. Nothing wimpy about it, nobody's good at every single game.

Edited by BruceLee

Nah, I'm not going to quit. I know this is possible and I'm going to keep trying until I find a way. I just have to figure out how to get through the two mercs with the Wrymslayers.

Forget this. I'll go back to playing Awakening and training up for Apotheosis. At least I know I'll clear that map some day...

This was more of a sarcastic remark than anything.

If you're having this much trouble with the game to the point where you're considering dropping it entirely, it's a good idea to just turn down the difficulty. Nothing wimpy about it, nobody's good at every single game.

Maybe not, but I don't want to have to go through the whole beginning again only because I turned down the difficulty. I know I'm being headstrong here, sorry, but I want to see if I can get through this.

Sixth time's the charm, right?

If you really want to carry out with your difficulty setting, just make it through Level 6, then grind like there's no tomorrow. Playing the same "challenge" over and over will get boring though, so complete a chapter or two more and grind again at those locations. Rinse and repeat.

Maybe not, but I don't want to have to go through the whole beginning again only because I turned down the difficulty. I know I'm being headstrong here, sorry, but I want to see if I can get through this.

Sixth time's the charm, right?

I know how you feel, it doesn't feel good turning the difficulty. My advice is try to lure out the wyrmslayer mercs with your other units who can take atleast 1 hit, and finishing them with Kamui. Use pair up to your advantage as much as you can, guard stance to tank and attack stance to finish them before they can retaliate.

I know it's not a very detailed advice but it's all i can tell you since i haven't played the game myself yet.

Edited by BruceLee

Alright! Finally did it! Kaze took a few hits and Azura and Sakura died, but I won! Kept Kaze and Rinka paired up throughout so they could help each other and together, they dwindled down the mercs.

Oooh, cutscene!

Can't wait to see what ch. 6 has! ..........

If I can lower the difficulty after 6, I will if I feel like I need to, and I'll be grinding some more. But I have to get through the chapter first. Thanks guys for helping me out! :)

Also, how can our parents, two black-haired people, have red-haired children?

Edited by Power Master