Massive problems with Persona 4

After playing Persona 3's "The journey" I decided to play the sequel.

Although I should be experienced with the battle system, I've lots of trouble with 4.

While Persona 3's easy mode became less and less challenging for me after a while, I have problems to survive each boss in Persona 4 on "beginner" mode.

These bosses have tons of HP, no weaknesses and are really powerful.

My units died quite a lot unlike in the prequel. (My unit died already more often than in the entire prequel.)

Shadow Kanji took me already more time than the final boss Nyx in Persona 3.

My units went out of HP and SP and so I had to use all my HP and SP potions. I only have a few Peach seeds and mudoon cast left, that's it! (For comparison: In Persona 3 I sold pretty much all the stuff and didn't know what to do with the money.)

So I'd like to get a few tips how to survive this game.

Honestly I feel a bit helpless atm.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

• Party member social links are very important, so they should be your top priority.
  • When it comes to stats, on a rainy day, you can go to the noodle shop and upgrade 3-4 "personality" stats (idk the proper term)
  • There's a party member near the end of the game that is arguably the hardest to max out the social link for, as they require max courage and knowledge, so you might want to focus on them.

I find the Shadow Yukkiko and the Shadow Kanji battles to be the most difficult in the game, due to your lack of options when it comes to Personas. Later on in the game I find it becomes easier because you are maxing out Social Links meaning your battle options begin to really open up, so stay vigilant.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok, I have to fight Shadow Mitsuo now... and I have no idea how to beat because my entire team is out of SP.

I even sacrifice my unit to restore the SP of my team.

Yukiko is mainly busy with healing or using me patra and Kenji can't do anything except for doing physical attacks.

(I guess I should bring Teddie instead because of mediarama, although I really would hate it to do.)

There's another question:

Although his health bar was empty for like four turns, he didn't go down.

Instead he changed his form to the videogame figure for the third time.

Did I do sth. wrong? Do I have to beat him with a special attack / skill or is the transformation to the third form scripted?

I must admit this game pisses me off more and more.

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

It's been a while since I played the game, and I only did it once but :

You can go to the fox at the entrance of the Midnight Channel hub to restore your SP (it cost money though).

I don't exactly remember which party members I had, I think it was something like Yukiko/Teddie/Kanji, although I'm sure you can use others party compositions, just try to have at least Yukiko or Teddie for healing. The only character I wouldn't recommend is Chie, since Kanji is better as a physical single target damage dealer.

I don't remember having anything like that happen with his health bar, you can kill him "normally".

If I remember correctly, he acts like this :

- Starts in his shell.

- Once you break it, he will use other spells.

- He will use a barrier. Then spam spells corresponding to the barrier.

- He sometimes tries to reconstruct his shell.

When he starts trying to reconstruct his "shell", try to burst it down quickly before he fully recovers, otherwise he gains access to a powerful spell (that, and you have to break it entirely again).

When he uses a elemental barrier, he will use spells of the corresponding element next, so try to use defend with characters weak to it (and switch persona for the main character).

Try to cure Fear ailment as soon as possible, he can use Ghastly Wail and kill any party member afflicted with the ailment.

Overall, the fight is really a difficult one, if you can, try to fuse for Black Frost, it's a really powerful persona and he is quite handy for this boss fight in particular (absorbs Fire and Ice, so 2 elements out of 4 where you are free to do whatever you want, also has access to Mind Charge, Agidyne, Fire Amp if you can level it).

I can't think of anything else right now, as I said, it's been a while since I played, but this boss is actually pretty hard so it's normal that you're struggling.

^ Thx.

Actually there was only one reason for my problem against Mitsuo: My units were underleveled (40).

I gave them 4-5 levels to fuse better Personas, which made the bossfight a lot more bearable.

P00nsS5.jpg

Thanks to the combo null fear, nervundi and blade of fury I could defeat him.

When he starts trying to reconstruct his "shell", try to burst it down quickly before he fully recovers, otherwise he gains access to a powerful spell (that, and you have to break it entirely again).

That's what didn't happen in my first attempt, because my units didn't enough damage.