Advice Before I Begin Conquest

SaMaster14

Hey Guys,

I'm about to beat Birthright (at ch 27) and I will start playing conquest (or Revelation if available) after I beat the game. I had a pretty easy time, only ever getting a 'game over' during the Invasion 3 side quest, but never having too much of a problem with the main chapters.

That being said... I did A LOT of scouting and challenges (exp grinding and unit support aid to get the children and paralogues). I hear that this aspect will be non existent in Conquest. Being so, how do you experienced players recommend I take on conquest? Are there any children I should try and get early? Should I not use certain units/use a smaller army so that they level up faster?

Any recommendations will be highly appreciated. I will be playing on Normal difficulty and casual play (units revive after chapter ends [NOT the easiest, where units revive immediately])

I'd recommend planning ahead what units you want; some kids are also easy to get in the beginning but might be harder to get later; Ophelia, Odin's daughter, packs quite a punch and her map just increases in difficulty, if memory serves (I mean, they all do, but hers get much tougher I think, but I might be misremembering). Odin's stats are just as laughable as his outfit, so don't spend too much experience on him since he's easily replaced by his daughter.

Effie is absolutely invaluable in the beginning and mid game. However, I believe Xander can substitute her later.

Niles has a very nice niche of being a rare archer on this path as well as having ridiculous resistance; you'll get Felicia and Suzukaze for resistance as well, but Suzukaze will need a promotion to Puppeteer before he can use a bow, so I recommend using Niles.

Chapter 10 is widely considered to be one of the toughest maps in the game, so you should prepare with tonics beforehand.

It can pay off to be a little greedy and go for extra objectives since gold is limited; make an effort to reach chests even if it's difficult.

I believe normal removes a lot of this, but I would recommend looking up units - especially named ones - and see what skills they have. More than a few have skills outside of their class or even just ones made specifically for that unit.

Edited by Thane

I'd have to disagree about Odin/Owain's usefulness, I find a Swordmaster Odin/Owain to be pretty good.

I say that Effie is fairly overrated. Knights to me have always been useless and I feel Effie is too weak to be much good. Same with Arthur.

Aside from these I generally agree with Thane. Ophelia packs a serious punch. Her special tome was useful even by Endgame for me.

I'd have to disagree about Odin/Owain's usefulness, I find a Swordmaster Odin/Owain to be pretty good.

I say that Effie is fairly overrated. Knights to me have always been useless and I feel Effie is too weak to be much good. Same with Arthur.

Aside from these I generally agree with Thane. Ophelia packs a serious punch. Her special tome was useful even by Endgame for me.

Well in Nohr Tanks and horses are most usefull, Effie can OHKO most of things while getting low damage which is nice, especially in early. :P

But you don't need her to get trought game ofc, still have good tank from the beggining is nice imo.

Disagree on Odin he is the powerhouse for me!! MVP magic user!! I didn't even reclass him yet and he's a beast. Also, since it's normal casual, I think you'll be fine with literally anything.

Actually I do have a tip!! Bring at least 2 healers!! I've had trouble healing everyone quickly enough with just one healer so having two is recommended!! Felicia/Jakob/Elise can fill these roles for you!!

I would recomend pairing Camilla with Keaton if you could. Velouria is incredibly destructive and I've had her shoulder a lot of the burden once I got her a beaststone+. I beat the game twice and she was always nothing but a boon for the team both times.

Xander is a really good tank, make use of him.

Edited by Abysswalker25

Odins pretty top tier on lunatic (just because of the way tanking the EP works there), he's honestly bad on normal, and exceptionaly mediocre on hard.

Ch10 is probably one of the easier maps in conquest all things considered.Its just the barrier to entry.

You're on normal/casual, just faceroll with units you like.

Edited by joshcja

If I had one piece of advice for going into Conquest from Birthright it's that Conquest enemies have a lot more skills than Birthright ones, so you should pay attention to them!

... but I don't know if that's true of Normal. Anyone know?

If I had one piece of advice for going into Conquest from Birthright it's that Conquest enemies have a lot more skills than Birthright ones, so you should pay attention to them!

... but I don't know if that's true of Normal. Anyone know?

On my normal game I didn't much notice skills in the early game, but towards the end game the enemy would sometimes have full sets of skills. Including some BS combos like Counter+Countermagic.

Since you're on Normal/Casual, I wouldn't worry too much about what units you use. Just go with whomever you like! You'll be fine. I've been doing just fine on Hard/Classic using both Arthur and Odin, with the former being something of an MVP despite the bad reps both characters typically get though my Arthur's crit rate is in the 80's, sooooo

If I were to give advice, though, I'd say:

-Like Dark Holy Elf said, watch out for enemy skills. Archers/Mages with Counter, Ninjas with Lunge, Faceless with Savage Blow, and many others will appear. Though less prevalent on Normal, you will still see the occasional odd or tricky ability.

-I would use Niles, and I wouldn't reclass him. Aside from him being an awesome mage killer, bow users are hard to come by in Conquest, you can otherwise only get a bow user by reclassing a select few units, which starts them at E-rank with bows. But it's up to you, of course.

-I'm sure you don't need me to tell you this, but three of the Nohr royal siblings (Leo, Camilla, Xander) start out pretty OP when you get them, so obviously, having them soak up exp is bad, so I'd recommend only having them kill stuff when absolutely necessary until your other units catch up.

-Resources and weapons are indeed much more scarce in Conquest. Go for every opportunity to get more money, like visiting 3 of 5 houses in chapter 8. Weapons you get from "!" units in My Castle can be incredibly useful. Equip your units with as wide a variety of weapons as possible. When you end up in a situation in which you can't relinquish a single attack, having that wimpy umbrella that can hit from a distance or that weak frying pan that has good accuracy on hand might save your butt.

Take your time, plan ahead for certain chapters (especially a certain late game one), train up mozu as mine has a 45% crust chance with an iron yumi, use plenty of tanks and healers, be careful of crit rates and skills and you should be fine

On my normal game I didn't much notice skills in the early game, but towards the end game the enemy would sometimes have full sets of skills. Including some BS combos like Counter+Countermagic.

Countermagic can be pretty safely ignored as everything that uses it just gets one shotted.

Since you're on Normal/Casual, I wouldn't worry too much about what units you use. Just go with whomever you like! You'll be fine. I've been doing just fine on Hard/Classic using both Arthur and Odin, with the former being something of an MVP despite the bad reps both characters typically get though my Arthur's crit rate is in the 80's, sooooo

If I were to give advice, though, I'd say:

-Like Dark Holy Elf said, watch out for enemy skills. Archers/Mages with Counter, Ninjas with Lunge, Faceless with Savage Blow, and many others will appear. Though less prevalent on Normal, you will still see the occasional odd or tricky ability.

-I would use Niles, and I wouldn't reclass him. Aside from him being an awesome mage killer, bow users are hard to come by in Conquest, you can otherwise only get a bow user by reclassing a select few units, which starts them at E-rank with bows. But it's up to you, of course.

-I'm sure you don't need me to tell you this, but three of the Nohr royal siblings (Leo, Camilla, Xander) start out pretty OP when you get them, so obviously, having them soak up exp is bad, so I'd recommend only having them kill stuff when absolutely necessary until your other units catch up.

-Resources and weapons are indeed much more scarce in Conquest. Go for every opportunity to get more money, like visiting 3 of 5 houses in chapter 8. Weapons you get from "!" units in My Castle can be incredibly useful. Equip your units with as wide a variety of weapons as possible. When you end up in a situation in which you can't relinquish a single attack, having that wimpy umbrella that can hit from a distance or that weak frying pan that has good accuracy on hand might save your butt.

Yeah that's entire normal for both of them, big big skill growth and classes with high inherent critical. Protip Odin gets vantage to go with his bignormous critrate and 1-2 range to make the hex staves a lot more manageable casualy plus you get like 10 minute segments of nothing but odin cutins and kill dialogue (they never get old)

Edited by joshcja

My Dark Knight Owain ended up having a higher strength stat than a magic. Weird.

Edit: None of the stats were capped though so...

Owain makes for a VERY good physical attacker. That and the fact he's my third favorite kid (Behind Morgan and Lucy. Because I married Chrom and my own kids take priority over the others) in Awakening means I make him Swordmaster. Constantly.

He also has his good ol yellow color scheme in it, which is simply awesome.

Owain makes for a VERY good physical attacker. That and the fact he's my third favorite kid (Behind Morgan and Lucy. Because I married Chrom and my own kids take priority over the others) in Awakening means I make him Swordmaster. Constantly.

He also has his good ol yellow color scheme in it, which is simply awesome.

Mhm. He's my darling son in Awakening so I had to main him. I just put Rend Heaven on him when I found it to make up for any short comings and won Odin's Grimoire at the Lottery. Crits for days. In Revelations I will be making him a Swordmaster because I love the class too. I made him a Dread Fighter with Ignis in Awakening. I'd like to do the same when the Grandmaster dlc comes.

Edit: I forgot the advice I wanted to give in my original post but now I remember.

It's very okay to not marry everyone off and have all children in Conquest. Children this time around are actually fully optional and not even important to the story. Considering Conquest's lack of training methods I really suggest just picking enough favorite units to fill every spot for story battles and focus on that group.

Edited by JasonsOrigin

Mhm. He's my darling son in Awakening so I had to main him. I just put Rend Heaven on him when I found it to make up for any short comings and won Odin's Grimoire at the Lottery. Crits for days. In Revelations I will be making him a Swordmaster because I love the class too. I made him a Dread Fighter with Ignis in Awakening. I'd like to do the same when the Grandmaster dlc comes.

He was my nephew in Awakening. Still love him. He has a permanent spot in my party. ..I'm pretty sure in the list he's right behind Leo (who I married in Fates), which means I will pretty much never replace him. Of course, I've always married him to Severa so I also did that in Fates.

Red haired Ophelia is KINDA adorable.

I honestly wish Ignis wasn't exclusive to guys. I'd love to put Ignis on Thalia due to her Magic boon but the fact Great Lord can't use magic makes it kinda... useless (unless using a Levin Sword which causes other problems...). And her magic stat is in the 30s, so it would be a HUGE boon to add that to her strength stat. I could also make more parallels between Fates Thalia and Awakening Thalia.

(Totally don't want it because I halfway headcanon them as the same person by using both of their appearances for an OC [No FE connection] and also designed both of them to be near identical. Nope.)

Freaking Grandmaster class being exclusive. Guys get 3 and girls only get 1 from this set! I mean, Guys get Vanguard, Lodestar AND Grandmaster. ..Girls get Great Lord. Not cool, especially as one of Great Lord's best skills... is also both a skill scroll AND a Vanguard skill.

Edited by Fallaner

I honestly wish Ignis wasn't exclusive to guys.

Yeah I've been wondering why Grandmaster was exclusive to males. Seems like a huge oversight. It's as if female Robin was never an option.

Edited by JasonsOrigin

Yeah I've been wondering why Grandmaster was exclusive to males. Seems like a huge oversight. It's as if female Robin was never an option.

It's really annoying for me. It means guys get a LOT more exclusive skills than girls do.

And it irks me, especially as I WANT some of those skills. I want Ignis dammit! It's freaking absurd and Rend Heaven is useless in comparison! And I don't even USE Rend Heaven because it'd be so useless for me as it goes off the ENEMY's stats!

Seriously. 3 Guy exclusives VS 1 Girl exclusive. Who thought that was a good idea?

You're going on Normal/Casual. Which is what I recommend to anyone who has their sanity.

- Mozu can safely reclass to Archer, and it shouldn't be too hard to feed her enough kills to get to D bows. From there, let Aptitude do its thing.

Now, for chapter-specific stuff. . .

[spoiler=Chapter 10]You will be bumrushed. Camilla can take on a single bow user (have Nyx/Odin behind her), but she MUST be healed immediately afterwards. If there's too many enemies running towards you, use Elise's Freeze staff. You shouldn't need more than two charges. Effie with Silas in back of her is an insanely good wall. Bring Niles since you need bow users. Do NOT let the western ballista fall into the enemy's hands, or it will suck.

[spoiler=Chapter 15]You can go defensive or offensive. I chose defense. Clone yourselves, then leave them on the healing tiles if you want to play it safe. Your inventory will be copied the minute you're cloned, so I suggest giving Gunter an Iron Axe and Hand Axe so he can deal with the ninja spam.

[spoiler=Chapter 16]Talk to all four soldiers - soldier number 4 will be the boss. Use Xander to deal with the boss from a distance.

[spoiler=Chapter 17]Use the walls to troll Saizo. Oh, and be VERY careful about your positioning - the ninjas can hit you through the thin walls (and vice-versa). If you've been training Mozu as an archer, she'll shine here. Get the treasure chest up north - it contains money!

I actually tried starting from "Branch of Fates" and couldn't do it. I just couldn't beat Ryoma/Hinoka/Takumi. Ended up starting a whole new save file so that I could just level up my avatar and jakob as much as possible before having to make the decision to pick Nohr.

I'm playing as a girl this time around... from some of the comments, that may have been a poor decision haha Also hard to try and find someone to marry my avatar with...

I'll return to playing as a guy when Revelations comes out!

So far... so good, although I've only cleared until chapter 8... it does help that I can get the path bonuses for starting conquest second. Plus I can still visit the castles that I have cards for from my Birthright game.

Edited by SaMaster14

[spoiler=Chapter 25]

You need either a good Corrin to solo the boss or a good team to beat all enemies.

These skills will be useful for Corrin: Poison Strike (Ninja), Replicate (Mechanist), Renewal (Great Master/Priestess), Savage Blow (Malig Knight), Swordbreaker (Wyvern Lord). Get any of them and it will be easy for you to solo Ryoma.

These units will be helpful for beating all enemies: Bow Knight with Shurikenbreaker, Wyvern Lord Camilla with Swordbreaker, Songstress.

[spoiler=Final Chapter]

You may need 1~2 uses of Rescue and a unit with Pass (Adventurer).