My FE4 Pairings plans...

OliKad

Here's my plan for my first playthrough of this masterpiece - at least so far (currently at Chapter 3) :

Fury x Noish

Lewin x Tiltyu

Ayra x Holyn

Aideen x Midir (already sealed)

Lachesis x Beowulf

Sylvia x Claude

Briggid x Dew OR Jamka (not decided yet)

What are your thoughts?

Also, I'm kinda worried about pairing Fury with a physical unit, because while Fee will surely turn out great, I'm worried that Sety will be sh*t because of that. Is it alright?

Thanks in advance!

Pretty much the best pairings you can have. I personally go with Ayra x Jamka and Briggid x Holyn but that's not a big deal.

Noish!Sety is an absolute monster. Dude has Pursuit, Continue, Charge, Critical and access to the best weapon class in the game. His stats hardly even matter with that skillset, he just destroys everything.

Personally I'm not much of a fan of BriggidxJamke. All bows except for the Killer Bow already have pretty bad hitrates in this game and Jamke's abysmal Skill stat does not help. So I'm definitely in the camp of BriggidxHolyn since Holyn's Odo blood ensures a high Skill stat.

FuryxNoish should be fine. Sety is never going to be bad, seeing how Sage has a base of 15 in both speed and magic. And he appreciates Noish's skills.

I'm surprised you don't plan to pair Lex with anyone. Sure, his growth spread is hardly ideal for anyone but Ayra's kids. But everyone loves Elite.

Edited by BrightBow

I would go with BriggidxJamke. I usually do AzelxTiltyu, but if Fury is already taken by Noish, which is far from a bad pairing, then LewynxTiltyu still works great. Really you can't go wrong pairing Lewyn with anyone who produces magic using kids.

Thanks guys! I feel much safer now that you all think that Noish x Fury isn't a bad pair for Sety, I made it up mostly for having a more offensive and durable Fee.

But I still don't know if I should pair up Dew or Jamka. I'll probably do some research. ;)

EDIT : What are the pairings that were used in the manga (never read it)?

Edited by OliKad

THe only pairing on that list that i don't really like is brigid/jamka, due to the really low accuracy. Dew and holyn are both good husbands for her. Patty apreciates sol and bargin from dew as well as luna and a pre-promotion sword b rank from holyn (give her the hero sword she gives celice). Paval apreciates bargin for his holy weapon, as well as dew's ballenced growths. He really likes a high skill growth from holyn (his hp is likely to either cap or get very close, which is one of the few times that this is reasionably likely). I should note that brigid/dew is reletively hard to pull off, because you only have 2 chapters, and they have brigid's lowest love growth.

As for Noish/fury, i havn't tried that (i have in my current playthrough, but fates came out before i recruited sety, so it is on hold). I have tried all your other pairings and they are all good.

Edited by sirmola

I don't think Jamka's Skl is too much of an issue for Faval - he'll still get a lot of chances at hitting, and the Killer Bow does exist to give him great hit. Nonetheless, there's a reason Holyn and Lex are more popular.

Thanks guys! I feel much safer now that you all think that Noish x Fury isn't a bad pair for Sety, I made it up mostly for having a more offensive and durable Fee.

But I still don't know if I should pair up Dew or Jamka. I'll probably do some research. ;)

the manga pairs are as follows

AyraxLex

JamkaxAdean

RaquesisxFinn

LewynxFerry

SylviaxClaud

TiltyuxAzel

BriggidxMidayle

I'm surprised you don't plan to pair Lex with anyone. Sure, his growth spread is hardly ideal for anyone but Ayra's kids. But everyone loves Elite.

Now that you mention, I might pair him with Briggid...

Really, what's the best pairing with her anyway? :P

Hi! I'm the scanner and one of the typesetters for the manga's new team.

The gen 1 pairs are Aideen/Jamka, Lex/Aira, Levin/Fury, Lachesis/Fin, Azel/Tiltyu, Claude/Sylvia, and Brigid/Dew.

Below are not spoilers, but gameplay mechanics that go into gen 2.

Honestly, I use all of those pairings for my own game except Brigid/Dew, simply because it takes a very long time in the game to get them together (Brigid is paired with Dew in the manga between the gens, so you wouldn't see it happen during the story, but it's confirmed in gen 2). I personally PREFER Midir with Brigid simply because I prefer them together in personality.

The good thing about Dew is his Bargain skill though, so if you pair him and Brigid, Faval will save money on Ichival. It costs 1000 gold to repair just ONE use for a holy weapon, so having the Bargain Ring has been always been my way of keeping Sety abusing Holsety, as the ring is the same as the skill for whoever has it in their inventory. However, you only get one (some rings you get two of, but Bargain is just one), so having Dew pass that skill down to someone who will have a holy weapon is pretty ideal.

However, besides personality, I pair Midir with Brigid because he's a bow user. That helps Faval, though Midir's stat growths are honestly just shit, as much as I love the guy. However, Midir and Brigid are a bit easier to pair because Midir can speak to her in chapter three and gain instant love points from that with her, so he's one of the more "quick" choices if you're rushed or want an easier pair. Still not a problem for Faval, but Patty is pretty much going to suck regardless of her father until she's promoted (and then she'll just wreck everything, so you'll have to suffer for a while until she's able to fight on her own).

I've done Noish with Brigid, and Faval was great (didn't even use Patty that file so while I am sure she would wreck like a monster upon promotion I can't say for sure). He caused his own demise by critting too much when he crit Yurius and brought him down to half HP and got a Wrath to the face, but let's pretend that never happened. That was the only unfortunate circumstance of my Noish!Faval. :'D;;

I always use Jamka/Aideen because of a similar reason. I prefer having Lester and Faval with a bowman for a father. I'm not sure if there are any extreme differences in switching around Jamka and Midir with either of them, because I've never paired Aideen with Midir and don't plan to, so I am not sure if there are any major gameplay changes. In this case, it's really just a preference of mine.

Lex will pass Elite down, which is very good because you also only get one Elite Ring, as with Bargain. The best thing to Aira/Lex is that Aira's kids show up immediately in gen 2. You'll have them as a kind of crutch when you're trying to get through tough situations while training your other units. Not only are they strong as Lex's kids (they're called the Murder Twins by the fandom ANYWAY, but I'm just talking based on Lex, not in general :P), but once they get to a higher level than your other units, you'll have two amazing units to rely are that WON'T hog EXP (Oifaye will hog EXP because he's promoted when you get him. Unlike other FE games this isn't going to hurt him later on and pre-promoted units are no less good than base class units. However, they'll obviously suck up EXP for a little while, but definitely never write an FE4 unit off for being promoted when you get them).

Levin/Fury is a popular choice because Sety will become a potentially map soloing unit. There's a program error with his speed (if the father is Levin), but it's solved if you just reset your game as of chapter seven (for some reason resetting on chapter six never fixed reset errors for me, like Celice's leadership. I had to wait until seven. I say seven because I personally recommend just doing it before you get him instead of having to remember after you've gotten him in chapter eight and started leveling him). Definitely do that before even getting him though, because one time I made the mistake of reaching level thirty with him and THEN resetting, so his speed bombed and went down to 17 and got stuck that way for the remainder of that file.

In any case, his speed, skill and magic are a killer, and he'll get the Continue, Pursuit and Critical skills. He's pretty much safe from Dragon Knights, because even with his weakest and default tome, they usually have a zero chance of hitting him. I couldn't even tell you by number how many Swordmasters he's had low chances of being hit by, but it's been a lot.

Fee I'm not even sure where she stands, because Levin's been the only father for me in my files (literally all of them), but she's extremely useful for me once she gets going. She's tough to train at first like Fury, but that critical skill helps her a LOT (and if you plan to pair Fury with Noish, she'll get that then too).

Honestly Sety is just a one man army if Levin's the father though, and aside from that, I'm very attached to his relationship with Levin if Levin's the father for storyline purposes.

Not saying anything against Noish because this entire post is "why I choose these pairings", but I also haven't done it, so I can't give advice on it unfortunately.

Azel and Tiltyu is another "quick" pairing if you're feeling rushed, since they can talk in chapter four and gain instant love points. However, they're both magic types, so you won't be having different class troubles later. Both Tiltyu's children are magic types, therefore Azel will also pass down whatever he has to Arthur. Pairing her with Levin will give Arthur Holsety, and while I haven't ever done it, I've read that Sety is the best choice for Levin's son based on final (max level) stats. Obviously it's the RNG so it always changes, but overall, most people seem to say Sety will get the best use out of Holsety.

For the most part, I pair them because I enjoy the pairing in terms of dialogue, but there are plenty of other options for Tiltyu. Obviously Levin is a good choice, but that collides with pairing him with Fury, so you just have to decide which is more worth it to you.

I don't usually pair Claude at all because I have no need for the Valkyrie staff. I don't let my units die to begin with, so I don't bother with it. I pair Sylvia with Holyn, because he's the only father that will allow Leen to use B level swords. Corpul usually gets benched by most players regardless of father because he comes in so late and at level one no less, and overall it's kind of a pain to get him to be useful aside from just healing small amounts of HP and being a helper more than a main healer. I usually write Corpul's inheritance out of the equation, and I've seen a horrendous number of complaints about Corpul just wasting Holsety, (which I can understand without even doing it myself considering, again, level one base unit and arrives when you only have three chapters left to the game. He can't even use it until he promotes. Not just that, but it's a fiasco trying to recruit him if you're not careful).

Leen does fantastic with him as a father imo, and it helps get her and Corpul's HP way up there. For Leen, it's dangerous having a dancer in range of enemies, but with that speed and HP, she should be okay. I haven't ever had trouble putting her closer to enemies when Holyn was the father, and that helps Corpul too since he's a healer. Healers have bad defense, so at least if he gets hit, that HP will possibly help pull him through.

Lachesis I pair with Fin because honestly, I've tried other fathers, and Delmud just failed at so much as swinging a sword. Nanna is generally not that great (her magic and strength are both low and that's what she NEEDS), but for me she's become a capable enough fighter upon promotion with Fin as the father. Delmud is not only usable for me in this case, but he can fight VERY well and he's a unit I find myself relying on more often than not. Especially for them though, who can possibly be not great units depending on the father, Prayer is a good skill for them. Depending on if you want to defend Lenster in chapter seven, you'll definitely want Nanna to have Prayer just in case. Trust me, I've had my share of disasters trying to do so, and Fin being the father has saved Nanna quite a bit since I started with that pairing. Ultimately though, I've found that Fin as the father makes Delmud a lot more successful as a unit for me, and makes me able to use Nanna later on for more than just small healing (a bit like Corpul tbh. She's really not great at healing when someone like Yuria or Lana can just heal with a Live staff, not even Relive, and heal most of the unit's HP because of their high magic, if not all of it depending on how much HP you need to heal).

If you pair Fin with Lachesis, Aira or Aideen, the daughter will be able to speak to Fin and get a stat bonus in chapter seven, so if you like extra stat bonuses, those are good choices. I don't feel that Lakche and Skasaher NEED Prayer though, so it might be a waste of Prayer.

I'm pretty much stuck to the pairs I do, and the manga was more of a surprise for me to see that the author used all the pairings I really liked (save for Brigid/Dew, but I guess the author probably just enjoyed the pirate/thief idea?). Ultimately though they are actually very good choices. I enjoy Claude/Sylvia a bit on a story level, but for gameplay I would choose Holyn for Sylvia in a heartbeat.

As far as Sety goes for the father, I could talk to you for a week straight until your eyes are as red as Alvis' hair from lack of sleep on how Sety will just wreck anything he looks at if the choice is Levin (kinda like the time he crit Yurius to the face like three times in chapter ten and that was that, even though I hadn't planned to go after him because I thought I wouldn't be able to handle him. Sety was supposed to be bait to get Ishtar in range but oh well. Worked out), but I'll spare you the some odd obnoxious paragraph count on that topic alone. I'm a sucker for it. But really, don't feel like you should change your pairing choices for this playthrough. It's always an option on another one, so if you're too far in to change some pairs, you really only need to panic if a female went unpaired. :Rei: Unless you like subs. I don't. Some people do.

Otherwise hurray for finding this while checking the Oosawa manga thread then accidentally noticing a keyword is Sety. Way to my heart right there.

Edited by Jugdral Defender

Wow! That wall of text! Amazing! :D

Anyway, I WILL do Fury x Levin someday, but for my first playthrough, I want to have two awesome mages instead of one divine (Sety with Holsety) and the other "just" being good (Arthur without Holsety).

Also, Delmud is bad with someone other than Fin as his father? Is he that bad?

Maybe that on another playthrough, I'll do the manga pairings - if I enjoy said book, that is ;)

Edited by OliKad

Arthur is actually really great for me as Azel's kid. He doesn't need to be a major holy baby to be awesome! I won't deny Sety is divine because I am a Sety loving bias piece of shit, but Arthur is definitely really good in all my files, more so than just good. He can hold his own, but it does take a bit to get him going. Him, Patty and Fee tend to suffer the slow going deal. Based on my experience of Azel!Arthur, he'll be great when promoted, but as a mage it's like honey you gotta follow suit and keep up with these people.

I'm not sure how bad or good Delmud is with several fathers, but when I paired Holyn with Lachesis it was total regret on my part. Delmud ended up not even promoted (though granted this was one of my earlier files and if I went back and did that again, I could probably handle it better, but I do recall Delmud sucking bad for me), and I just COULDN'T use him without him dying. I wouldn't say he's bad with another father, but that Fin as the father is definitely valuable to him. Since that post was only based on the fathers I wrote about, I'm not saying other fathers are better or worse, so no worries there! Those were just my opinions and feelings as well as gameplay experience with those specific fathers. I can say Delmud is great with Fin as the father, but I would not recommend Holyn, personally.

Also, Fin will lose all his items (passed down) and weapons (even if they're not passed down because the son can't use his weapons, they still disappear from his inventory and you have to get them back later through enemy drops or the item shop) if he's paired. I usually give Fury his weapons to pass down to Fee so I can keep using them and so I don't have to wait to get them back (especially the Hero Lance), then I have Fee sell them to the Pawn Shop in chapter seven as soon as Fin can access the Pawn Shop and have Fin pick them back up.

If you ever want to read the manga, plenty of websites have it and the two topics for it are up here on SF (the team before mine that dropped it has the earlier volumes up, which is why it's two different topics, but they're both pinned). It's sixteen volumes total though, so hell, you'll definitely be done with the game before we come close to being done with this manga. :P

Your pairings are fine, and it's almost impossible to mess up Sety no matter who his father is, so you don't have to worry about him.

As far as Briggid goes, since both kids get Pursuit as a class skill (Patty on promotion), it basically comes down to which skills you want her kids to have; Sun Sword(Patty only, since swords) and Bargain or Continue and Charge (At least with those two choices)

I personally think any pairing that benefits Patty > Faval is a good one for her, since Faval has the Ichival and all that.

Or you could do Lex because Elite+Ambush, and Patty+Sleep Sword would appreciate it... though I've never done it myself, so I'd be curious to see how that turns out.

It seems that a certain mage whose name starts with an S will have a major upgrade on my second file... *hint hint*

With that said, I will rarely pair up Finn because of his equipement loss. Since he's the only playable unit in both gens, I don't want him to become useless, you know? That would make me sad. :(

I never read a manga or watch an anime before, although I am curious about both hobbies. But, since the xtory in FE4 is so great, I'll surely find me some time to read it anyway! :)

EDIT: So Lex gives the best Patty? I'm kinda scared that she will become just as useless as Dew, so I REALLY want to get the best pairing for this poor girl.

Edited by OliKad

Sety is just godly altogether.

Fin will return with an Iron Lance, but that's it. Of course, you could go with the option I go with, and give someone else who can use his weapons AND pass them down, his weapons. That works fine for me, but if you want to defend Lenster, it might be more difficult. Tbh the Hero Lance in that situation is kind of bad because he WILL wreck, and he WILL kill most if not all enemies that approach at close range. Meaning, if he takes damage he'll keep killing and eventually he'll probably die. Prayer is fantastic as hell, but not when there are three sages coming after you.

Of course, he does lose all rings you give him if paired (because those actually pass down), but it's better to know this imo than to go in blindly like I did and freak out over him having nothing but an Iron Lance.

Keeps the enemies at bay long enough to get others up there, but it's a pain to defend Lenster either way. ...But I still do it because I'm stubborn.

Patty could also use the Elite Ring. I personally give her father the ring to pass on to her (Brigid and Ethlin are the only females that pass down to the son, so vice versa, fathers to the daughters too). That way if you want another pair of kids to have Elite from Lex but don't need Faval to get Elite, there's that option. Faval only shows up at level nine unpromoted though, so it's still an option to use Lex for Elite's sake. Lex has good defense though too, so it might help Patty out. Again, I can't confirm because it's not something I've done, but it sounds probable.

She IS bad when you first get her, but both her and Dew are great later. I myself train them by surrounding archers generally, or attacking bandits who like, once in a blue moon actually hit them. Honestly, I also have issues training them both, and I almost always sideline them on a not-cheat run. But again, they're very useful if you can actually get them to promotion. Patty is probably a bit better because she has her parents' stats to work off of though, whereas Dew just has himself to work off of.

She doesn't really have a 'best' one. Briggid's weird.

Wow! That wall of text! Amazing! :D

Anyway, I WILL do Fury x Levin someday, but for my first playthrough, I want to have two awesome mages instead of one divine (Sety with Holsety) and the other "just" being good (Arthur without Holsety).

Also, Delmud is bad with someone other than Fin as his father? Is he that bad?

Levin!Sety is overrated as fuck. Good but overrated. Levin!Arthur is widely considered to be the best Gen 2 unit.

Delmud is a very good unit with a pretty good selection of potentially good fathers. Beowulf is usually considered best and Azel a nice alternative option. But Fin, Midir and even Noish are nice options as well.

Briggid "best" pairing is probably with Holyn. Very good Patty right off the bat and high skill Faval.

Too bad that Holyn's already with Ayra, Meteor sword would have been useful for Patty.

I think I'll probably do Lex x Briggid actually, since Lex's the first one who got a promotion (He ROCKS!)

Lex should at least help Patty with defense, which is good.

Though it just came to mind, but Sylvia. Generally I see people saying the subs are better (I disagree), but one thing I can say is that Alec!Leen just did not work out for me. Claude is a good choice for Corpul, and for me Holyn's a great choice for Leen, but I can say I'm never doing Alec and Sylvia again.

For Fin, it's good to pass down Prayer, so despite the inventory problem it really depends on if you want three units to be able to have Prayer besides him (i.e. person with the Prayer Ring and children with the actual skill). To me, it's pretty worth it for some of the better skills to be passed down. Some of the fathers basically pass down nothing useful in terms of skills and have nothing unique.

I do see good reviews on Brigid and Holyn, and I've considered it myself sometime, though that may have me wind up pairing Dew with Sylvia. I've wanted to try it, and as bad a result as it sounds, for some reason I'm just interested in trying. I can always let you know how it goes when I get to it.

Overall I'd say your best units are going to be the units that can't be replaced by subs (Celice, Leaf, Shanan (I know a lot of people yell Lakche for best sword type but my Shanan has always benefited way more), etc.), Sety aside, though of course depending how much you trained the parents (my Celice is already great generally and that's considering the fact that I almost never bother using Diadora. If I did, he'd be even better, so...). As much as I focus on pairing good fathers, I invest as much as possible in Cuan and Ethlin because Leaf is just a monster once he promotes. I've had him and Levin!Sety nearly dual complete an entire map before (it helps that they can heal each other and Sety's magic is usually capped for me (if it's not because I got RNG screwed (the arena might do this to you from consecutive battles), it's nearly capped, and his overall stats are fantastic). Leaf's magic is low so I throw a Recover staff at him and that literally won't matter anymore for healing).

I also need to stop leaving you text walls. :P But I do that to everything basically.

Briggid "best" pairing is probably with Holyn. Very good Patty right off the bat and high skill Faval.

This is what I was thinking.

B-rank swords means she can use that cool hero sword she gives to Celice.

I have sofar done several fin pairings, and he never has an issue in chapter 7 even with an iron lance if you promoted him in gen 1. There is simply such a massive power disparity betwwen him and the enemies, that a bad weapon dosn't really hurt him. It halps that ferry can inherit all lances exept the silver lance (which you can't get untill chapter 9). You can also game the system by making nana inherit the return staff and return ring., use the return staff on fin and lief, and using the return ring.

Edited by sirmola

Brigid/Dew is overrated, I feel. Dew might have good growths not taking holy blood into account, but fact is holy blood does exist and there are quite a few good options for Brigid that do have holy blood. And Dew's gonna pass on fairly shitty base stat additions unless you really trained him, and few people have the patience for that. All of this - just so your Holy Weapon Faval can have Bargain.

Tell me this - how many times do you expect to use Ichieval in a playthrough? Take into account he gets 50 uses for free, and he can get away with using Silver or Killer Bow a lot of the time, particularly against wyvern riders? You know, the enemy type that's everywhere in for the last part of Ch9 and the entirety of Ch10?

This is not Holsety, either. This is a weapon you can use once or twice per player phase with an unmounted unit. He can rarely fight on enemy phase. Faval does not see that much action. I'm going to guess Faval does not need to pull the string of that thing more than 80 times in any given playthrough, and he can finance that on his own with arena gold and everything.

That said Faval's father doesn't matter a whole lot because Faval himself just doesn't change much - he always has Pursuit and Ichieval makes up for most stat shortcomings. Patty also doesn't change much, she's terrible at fighting unpromoted and alright once promoted, so all you can do if you really wanna raise her is make her get there faster with Lex.

Brigid/Dew is overrated, I feel. Dew might have good growths not taking holy blood into account, but fact is holy blood does exist and there are quite a few good options for Brigid that do have holy blood. And Dew's gonna pass on fairly shitty base stat additions unless you really trained him, and few people have the patience for that. All of this - just so your Holy Weapon Faval can have Bargain.

Tell me this - how many times do you expect to use Ichieval in a playthrough? Take into account he gets 50 uses for free, and he can get away with using Silver or Killer Bow a lot of the time, particularly against wyvern riders? You know, the enemy type that's everywhere in for the last part of Ch9 and the entirety of Ch10?

This is not Holsety, either. This is a weapon you can use once or twice per player phase with an unmounted unit. He can rarely fight on enemy phase. Faval does not see that much action. I'm going to guess Faval does not need to pull the string of that thing more than 80 times in any given playthrough, and he can finance that on his own with arena gold and everything.

That said Faval's father doesn't matter a whole lot because Faval himself just doesn't change much - he always has Pursuit and Ichieval makes up for most stat shortcomings. Patty also doesn't change much, she's terrible at fighting unpromoted and alright once promoted, so all you can do if you really wanna raise her is make her get there faster with Lex.

Nice observation here, pal! I'm definitively going Lex now!

Briggid, Patty and Faval are kind of a lost cause in general. Patty is the only one of them that can be useful but she's also the worst of them three. I personally wouldn't care too much about it.