Nintendo Direct Information

Fire Emblem announced officially for U.S. release, keeping Japanese voice acting (with English subtitles), under the name Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE.

TMSFE-300x176.jpg

Tokyo Mirage Sessions #FE is set to debut in the U.S. and E.U. regions on June 24, 2016

SHOOPS IM LATE BUT YEA US&EU ON 6/24

Well this direct has been a bit of a trainwreck. Constantly pausing, skipping ahead and even skipping backwards for entire segments. It was quite annoying to watch and I missed everything they said about Fates because of it.

I suppose the release date could be worse.

Edit: Oops wrong topic

Edited by Sasori

Somebody needs to get me some fries, because THE SALT IS REAL.

... im kinda beat up over no dubs.

I'm on the other hand is thrilled that it is getting sub. It was my biggest fear it would only be dub only considering it's Atlus we are talking about. I couldn't care less about a english dub.

Edited by FoliFF

.......what game?

I think he's referring to Fatal Frame, which didn't get a physical release in NA.

June is sooner than what I expected, I'm just glad we finally got a date. I quite dislike the localized name, but I'll probably get used to it.

Really glad that they decided to keep the japanese voices and everything too. Sorry for the people who wanted to have english dub, dual audio would have been nice, having options is almost always better.

Edit : Some people have pointed out :

Shin Megami Tensei - Tokyo Mirage Sessions

I still think it's awkward as a title, but it's also pretty clever.

Edited by Avk

I need dubs. I don't do stuff with subs, so this is highly disappointing. I'd even prefer dub only to sub only. Not the best way to build hype, especially since it looks like cutting costs considering that it bombed in Japan.

I am just glad to finally have a release date and to be able to play it after having to wait so long. I watch most anime with subs so playing a game with that is no prob for me but I can understand why some people are mad, but I honestly think this is better then a dub only like what happened with Fates.

I'm on the other hand is thrilled that it is getting sub. It was my biggest fear it would only be dub only considering it's Atlus we are talking about. I couldn't care less about a english dub.

Hold on, you're saying Atlus released a game with a dub, but no english text? By the way I don't care that you don't care.

Hold on, you're saying Atlus released a game with a dub, but no english text? By the way I don't care that you don't care.

Nah, I meant dual audio option is not a thing and sub only less of a thing when we are talking about Atlus games. Which comes as a surprise to me since it's Atlus we are talking about. It seems this time around it's an exception rather than rule they follow.

Nah, I meant dual audio option is not a thing and sub only less of a thing when we are talking about Atlus games. Which comes as a surprise to me since it's Atlus we are talking about. It seems this time around it's an exception rather than rule they follow.

Thanks for clarifying that.

And by the way I bet the reason Atlus does not put dual audio in their games is because of disk space. The specialize in really long games, and having to cram in every recorded line of dialogue twice basically is probably to them is a big waste of data they could be using on expanding the core game experience. But, that's just my guess. If ya think it's something else, you can think that.

I think I'd rather have subs for a game like this, myself, but I can see why others are disappointed... but I'm just glad we're getting the game at all, really. I've been looking forward to this.

As long as they actually translate all the voiced lines, unlike some games I can think of.

(I'm looking at you, Freedom Wars.)

Considering how entrenched in Japanese culture it is that's completely understandable (heck, SEGA decided to do that with the Yakuza titles long ago). Also, another problem that would have happened with English casting: having to find at least EIGHT actors who would have to sing competently. That would have been a nightmare and delayed things for a long time. Though feel free to do milk that "they're doing it to cut costs!" excuse despite the fact that its udders have already turned black and fallen off.

Anyway, looks like I've found my summer project.

And by the way I bet the reason Atlus does not put dual audio in their games is because of disk space. The specialize in really long games, and having to cram in every recorded line of dialogue twice basically is probably to them is a big waste of data they could be using on expanding the core game experience. But, that's just my guess. If ya think it's something else, you can think that.

Actually the lack of space on the the disc a poor excuse, especially if it comes from Atlus since 9/10 times it's not the case. JP ver. of TMS #FE has 16.6 GB large and a Wii U Disc can support up to 25 GB. That is at least 8 GB of free space in there. What comes down whenever a games gets a dual audio, EN or JP only audio option is all about the licensing and the cost of doing that, plus the cost of localization in general. What Atlus usually does is to ditch the JP audio either out of laziness or don't want to the little extra licensing cost for the JP voices and goes EN only route instead.

This is why we never got dual audio in both times for both Fates and Xenoblade Chronicles X (well Xenoblade was one of the few rare cases were space was a concern too). What I suspect what happened this time around during localization process it was because of the songs that butchered the English dub. Which is ironic when you think about Fates and why it never got dual audio option.

I can think of several reason for no English dub. Reason #1 How many good professional VA which is also good singers can you find in the English dubbing scene? I can't think of any VA similar to Rena Strober. Reason #2 . Translating the songs into English is very hard. Especially if you want to everything to flow and come out natural and we are not talking about one or two songs here. I dunno how many but there is a bunch of them. Reason #3 Taking reason #1 and #2 into account and lets us remind ourselves about the tyrannical companies that makes these songs in the game are big SOB if they want to (Again look at Fates). I bet it was a fucking pain in the arse to get those license agreements.

In conclusion, instead going around doing all that hassle I mentioned Atlus instead went a great length to get the JP license agreement and ditch the English dub. Another thing that popped my mind as I write this is that considering that the game bombed in Japan Atlus probably felt safer and for budgeting concern to skip the English Dub.

However, I gotta admit that the English dubbing today are leagues better compared what they were in the 90s and 00s. But if it comes down to bad dubbing vs original audio I pick original audio any day despite if I understand the language or not. But hey guys that is what the subtitles are for!

Considering how entrenched in Japanese culture it is that's completely understandable (heck, SEGA decided to do that with the Yakuza titles long ago). Also, another problem that would have happened with English casting: having to find at least EIGHT actors who would have to sing competently. That would have been a nightmare and delayed things for a long time. Though feel free to do milk that "they're doing it to cut costs!" excuse despite the fact that its udders have already turned black and fallen off.

Anyway, looks like I've found my summer project.

They didn't really need to consider dubbing the songs.

Stella Glow, a Strategy RPG Atlus published last year, had English voices and Japanese singing, and it worked perfectly. They could have taken the same approach here.

Toma's name has been localised as Touma, I noticed.

But Aaaaaaaaa I am so hyped!

24th June and a worldwide release! I was expecting to get this game for Christmas, but instead it comes out right near my birthday, that's just absolutely amazing. Really didn't expect such a soon release date!

TMS#FE will take a while to get used to as a title, but it's creative with the SMT part being backwards.

I'm happy that it's subbed, if the other option was only a dub, because really the songs have to be done right and it's EXTREMELY difficult to localise songs. And unlike just backing songs or something the music in TMS#FE is a big part of it. Thje localisers wanted to have the same people do voices as the songs (as said at E3), but that's at least 8 people and would take far too much work. Like, there'd be a big difference if you had subbed music and dubbed voices, which wouldn't work in a game like this which is so carefully made professional music and choreography a part of it.

Edited by Leonarbow