Is Birthright Better at Portraying Nohr than Conquest is?

vanguard333

Right now I'm on chapter 23ish of Birthright (So, spoiler: I'm well into Nohr and have visited the underground part of Nohr's capital), and 17ish of Conquest (So, spoiler: I'm just beginning to invade Hoshido). I thought, given that the premise of Birthright is that you defend Hoshido against the invading Nohr, and in conquest you fight to restore Nohr from within, that Birthright would put more emphasis on learning about Hoshido and Conquest would put more emphasis on learning about Nohr. It could just be that I'm behind on Conquest compared to Birthright, but I seem to be learning more about life in Nohr and Nohr's motivations from playing Birthright than from playing Conquest.

Is this genuinely the case? Or is it simply that I'm further in Birthright than in Conquest?

Definately. It's kinda ironic how the game where you side with Nohr portrays it as unjustifiably evil and a country who conquers just for glory. Whereas in Birthright, the deeper you march into Nohrian territory, the more you learn of their motives (their poor crop yield due to the weather conditions and seeking new lands to feed the people) and the Nohrian characters are far more sympathetic and understanding than they even are in Conquest.

Honestly... while I think Conquest has the better story... I have to agree.

Maybe it's due to your position in Nohr itself, you don't get much of a view of what it's like aside from it's bad side. I'd attribute this partially to the game being three parts that all kinda fit like a glove in terms of giving a broader view. While I certainly LIKE the story of each (Revelation is my favorite though), if you stick to just one, you will never get the full view of things.

I mean, in Conquest you are pretty substantially monitored by Iago. It'd be hard to see some of Nohr's motivations with that kind of surveillance i'd imagine.

However, Revelation's Avatar(At least female Avatar)/Azura (Because Revelation, Birthright and Conquest all have their own Azura/Avatar supports) support DOES give you some of Nohr's motivations.

Dunno when I play conquest I fight for JUSTICE.

Seriously through the conquest line simply justified it as "Fight or die fuckers" which just made more sense to me that "wha wha sympathy wha"

As for not seeing nohr from the bad side, the country is litteraly a blackened waste full of murder machines where there is apparently a rebellion every week or so over generally simple things that end in "boss dies horribly offscreen". Conquest makes a pretty compelling case for being a nohrian civilian = shit gig.

Edited by joshcja

Dunno when I play conquest I fight for JUSTICE.

Seriously through the conquest line simply justified it as "Fight or die fuckers" which just made more sense to me that "wha wha sympathy wha"

Funnily enough, that kind of IS how Nohr is though.

They either fight and conquer, or they die as Nohr is terrible for food production and the like, and Hoshido has more than they need (according to Azura in Revelations, they have more than they know what to do with).

I dunno, granted I'm only on ch10, but I mean in birthright your Nohr family was for the most part "Garon is an asshole but we still love you"...so far conquest!Hoshido has been "Alrighty you picked them, go fuck yourself, time to die, we never liked you anyway"

Kinda makes you wonder about them being the de facto good side.

Edited by Tribute

I dunno, granted I'm only on ch10, but I mean in birthright your Nohr family was for the most part "Garon is an asshole but we still love you"...so far conquest!Hoshido has been "Alrighty you picked them, go fuck yourself, time to die, we never liked you anyway"

Kinda makes you wonder about them being the de facto good side.

I say that things are gray! Hoshido is not totally good, Nohr is not totally bad.

Varying degrees of gray.