Saddest moment in Fates?

*Haku

Hm, I felt many of the deaths were contrived or random but chapter 6 had some legitimate "feeling bad" moments. Hinoka's words in particular hit me in the kokoro.

When Garon killed Zola in Birthright. Like, legit, this dude is the only enemy I can say that I truly liked and felt for despite his role within the story. That is how the rest should have been. Also, Xander. Fuck Elise. Why the hell would you jump in front of a hit meant for Kamui? Is she stupid? Kamui could have taken it! Does she not realize all the other hits Kamui has taken in battle at that point!? Xander, on the other hand, I'm so sorry you had to go through that, my pretty bae.

I was sad about him too. Despite being a wormy little rat-man, he tried to defend Kamui from Garon. RIP Zola

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hm, I felt many of the deaths were contrived or random but chapter 6 had some legitimate "feeling bad" moments. Hinoka's words in particular hit me in the kokoro.

I was sad about him too. Despite being a wormy little rat-man, he tried to defend Kamui from Garon. RIP Zola

The tragedy of Zola is multi-layered.

It shows a villainous character with depth--meaning IS can write them. It shows Garon's characterization at its worst and weakest, showing how deep the wasted potential actually runs. And because of these two facts, the reality of what happens and why is all the more bitter and rage inducing.

The entirety of me trying to do Chapter 17 Nohr, and the sheer number of resets because someone died. I kind-of suck at positioning.

As for the story. . .

Guess who storyline-killed Suzukaze? He may have his weird moments (like his C support with Corrin, which managed to disqualify him from my marriage pool), but I was quite fond of him.

The entirety of me trying to do Chapter 17 Nohr, and the sheer number of resets because someone died. I kind-of suck at positioning.

As for the story. . .

Guess who storyline-killed Suzukaze? He may have his weird moments (like his C support with Corrin, which managed to disqualify him from my marriage pool), but I was quite fond of him.

Ah, that sucks. :( Kaze's C with Corrin is goofy, but by the time you get them to A what happens is actually pretty neat. Definitely something you'll wanna check out in another playthrough.

I've finished Birthright completely and I just finished chapter 12 of Conquest.

So far, the saddest moment I've experienced is:

when Kaze dies and I was one support away from saving him. I didn't know if your avatar and kaze had A support he would live at the time...

Elise's sacrifice, especially since I feel like Xander just waste it afterwards. That angel, too pure for this world, die for our sins.

Edited by Sartek

Lilith's death in Conquest. Mostly because I immediately thought "This isn't happening... there's no reason to go on. What... WHAT AM I FIGHTING FOR???!!!" and then spent several minutes snickering to myself.

And in general, every time the game tries to be sad it's just sad from a writing standpoint.

I thought Lilith's death was needless. We are already going to loose two siblings depending on the side, and Azura, why did Lilith need to die? It made no sense at all. That and I had the same problem with Azura, her death was also needless. It was tacked on at the end, and just wasn't needed.

After finishing the game I have to say, I really enjoyed Conquest, with as much hate as it gets, I thought it wasn't to bad. The saddest moment was probably the entire situation with Ryoma. They played that really sad music, which made me not want to fight him, and then when he finally comes to terms with what is going on, he commits suicide so Corrin doesn't have to kill him. Really sad moment. That and I really liked the situation with Corrin and Takumi when Corrin was dying. I think it was really well done, and made me like Takumi, which I thought wasnt possible with all of what happened. It made me realize that by the time chapter 13 came around, that wasn't Takumi anymore, it was whatever took over. I thought it was really cool that they had Takumi and Corrin talk, and then Takumi gives you his bow for you to finally put him to rest.

I thought Lilith's death was needless. We are already going to loose two siblings depending on the side, and Azura, why did Lilith need to die? It made no sense at all. That and I had the same problem with Azura, her death was also needless. It was tacked on at the end, and just wasn't needed.

After finishing the game I have to say, I really enjoyed Conquest, with as much hate as it gets, I thought it wasn't to bad. The saddest moment was probably the entire situation with Ryoma. They played that really sad music, which made me not want to fight him, and then when he finally comes to terms with what is going on, he commits suicide so Corrin doesn't have to kill him. Really sad moment. That and I really liked the situation with Corrin and Takumi when Corrin was dying. I think it was really well done, and made me like Takumi, which I thought wasnt possible with all of what happened. It made me realize that by the time chapter 13 came around, that wasn't Takumi anymore, it was whatever took over. I thought it was really cool that they had Takumi and Corrin talk, and then Takumi gives you his bow for you to finally put him to rest.

Azura actually spoke about how she could 'die' in the game, so her death really shouldn't be that needless as she did talk about how she could suffer said fate. Apparently, in both Birthright and Conquest, she overused her Pendant's power too much which caused the strain to eventually kill her. In both she ended up doing quite a lot...Takumi had to be purified twice (Birthright), sang again to help the army escape from the dragon before it could consume them despite collapsing in pain again afterwards (Birthright), singing to try to purify Garon (Birthright and Conquest) if not there's more than this. In Revelation, Azura really didn't use her Pendant's power so much if not much at all.

Ryoma's sacrifice is sad considering that he acted out of rage at the miscommunication that you didn't 'kill' Hinoka (if you chose to spare her and Sakura). He ended up giving up his life so you wouldn't have to suffer.

Takumi's death is very sad considering his backstory and how he felt insecure and ignored by everyone else in the Hoshido Royal Family.

Lilith's death can be seen in two or more separate views depending on the version you play (excluding Revelation where she actually survives). In Conquest, as other players have commented, Corrin is already worn out from running around and fighting up until that point without getting much rest and didn't have much time to even react to the Faceless that was about to kill him. Lilith stepped in at the last moment and took the decisive blow which ended up killing her (after the battle ended). In Birthright Chapter 24 things are more complicated as Hans clearly has to close the distance and Corrin is just staring at him as he charges not to say that in Birthright, Corrin isn't that worn out as they were in Conquest's Chapter 21. The only reasonable way to say that Corrin didn't defend themselves and impale the bastard is that they were disoriented from coming out of a corridor and right into a practice arena filled with Nohrian soldiers that outnumbered the team 10:1 (or somewhere along there) and were busy trying to plan out a quick strategy to route the enemies and get everyone to escape which distracted them from seeing the real danger (Hans rushing at them to kill them). As a result of Corrin's confusion on how they ended up in an arena filled with enemies and delay on making an escape plan which slowed their reaction time, Lilith appeared and took the fatal blow that her master/brother would have taken from Hans and consequently died as a result (again after the battle has ended).

While i really dislike Nohr's overall story, there was one death that was done very well, and if i ignore all of the stupid shit that happens around it, it's just perfectly done.

Ryoma. The feels.

Edited by BruceLee

Now that you bring that up and it may be that I analyzed Ryoma to death and can generally feel what he's feeling (I do miss things sometimes, nobody's perfect) given a scene he's in and I really felt his pain in Conquest 6. I got emotional too.

Now that you bring that up and it may be that I analyzed Ryoma to death and can generally feel what he's feeling (I do miss things sometimes, nobody's perfect) given a scene he's in and I really felt his pain in Conquest 6. I got emotional too.

Ryoma felt that although he had no real desire to harm his younger brother/sister, he had a duty to protect his homeland (to which Corrin and the Nohrian Army invaded). He also attacked Corrin out of rage that they 'killed' or did kill Hinoka in his boss chapter (he really didn't desire to fight them). Seeing any of your siblings who were actually very attached to you express pain and sorry of seeing you as an enemy is very sad.

Ryoma felt that although he had no real desire to harm his younger brother/sister, he had a duty to protect his homeland (to which Corrin and the Nohrian Army invaded). He also attacked Corrin out of rage that they 'killed' or did kill Hinoka in his boss chapter (he really didn't desire to fight them). Seeing any of your siblings who were actually very attached to you express pain and sorry of seeing you as an enemy is very sad.

Definitely. There's also specifics with that dialogue which really hit it with me given my knowledge of Ryoma--

Where Corn says

“Still, I will not abandon the only family I have known”

Which, from the Corn perspective, is a reasonable thing to say and true in their case, and I'm not going to hold it against them, I don't think they were meaning to hurt Ryoma so badly, but this is the root of Ryoma's pain. All Ryoma ever wanted was for that to be the case with his family--were Corn was never kidnapped, and in saying that Corn unwittingly rubbed it in Ryoma's face and he just breaks the fuck down and flips.

It hurts.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Definitely. There's also specifics with that dialogue which really hit it with me given my knowledge of Ryoma--

Where Corn says

“Still, I will not abandon the only family I have known”

Which, from the Corn perspective, is a reasonable thing to say and true in their case, and I'm not going to hold it against them, I don't think they were meaning to hurt Ryoma so badly, but this is the root of Ryoma's pain. All Ryoma ever wanted was for that to be the case with his family--were Corn was never kidnapped, and in saying that Corn unwittingly rubbed it in Ryoma's face and he just breaks the fuck down and flips.

It hurts.

Do bare in mind that Corrin is also dealing with personal guilt over fighting his other siblings (Hoshidian) and seeing deaths on their side. He also had to cope with Lilith's death prior to facing Ryoma as well as realizing that Hans might have killed both of Sakura's retainers (Hana and Sakubi) as well as Yukimura (which strikes both Corrin and Azura just as hard as it did to Sakura herself) in the Conquest Path. Also, Corrin is clearly in shock and emotional turmoil after each casualty in either route (it's less severe in Revelation) regarding people who he very clearly cares for and seeing them suffer or die. Ryoma did state somewhere that all he wanted was to be with the entire family and seeing his dream shatter is very heart-breaking to him and Corrin.

Do bare in mind that Corrin is also dealing with personal guilt over fighting his other siblings (Hoshidian) and seeing deaths on their side. He also had to cope with Lilith's death prior to facing Ryoma as well as realizing that Hans might have killed both of Sakura's retainers (Hana and Sakubi) as well as Yukimura (which strikes both Corrin and Azura just as hard as it did to Sakura herself) in the Conquest Path. Also, Corrin is clearly in shock and emotional turmoil after each casualty in either route (it's less severe in Revelation) regarding people who he very clearly cares for and seeing them suffer or die. Ryoma did state somewhere that all he wanted was to be with the entire family and seeing his dream shatter is very heart-breaking to him and Corrin.

Okay please spoiler that, I was just talking chapter 6 which is shown pre-release--but all that stuff is later on and other people may not want to see it.

I'm not here to talk about Corn's motivations or whatnot, all I'm saying is what they said in chapter 6 hurt Ryoma a lot, even though they didn't do it on purpose to hurt him, and in most cases when Ryoma's suffering I feel it because I spent forever analyzing him and him only.

For what it's worth, Corn also unwittingly hurt Xander a lot in the Birthright route version of chapter 6--though considering I didn't write an academic paper-amount of meta analysis for Xander I'm less in tune with how he's feeling than with Ryoma's as sympathetic as I am to his problems too.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Okay please spoiler that, I was just talking chapter 6 which is shown pre-release--but all that stuff is later on and other people may not want to see it.

I'm not here to talk about Corn's motivations or whatnot, all I'm saying is what they said in chapter 6 hurt Ryoma a lot, even though they didn't do it on purpose to hurt him, and in most cases when Ryoma's suffering I feel it because I spent forever analyzing him and him only.

For what it's worth, Corn also unwittingly hurt Xander a lot in the Birthright route version of chapter 6--though considering I didn't write an academic paper-amount of meta analysis for Xander I'm less in tune with how he's feeling than with Ryoma's as sympathetic as I am to his problems too.

Ok, I'll do my best to put a 'Spoiler' warning next time I extend my responses if they go above a certain threshold if that helps, I won't complain. Then I'll do this.

Regarding Xander if you chose Hoshido on Chapter 6, he gets rather agitated and frustrated at Corrin's decision (Corrin says somewhere along the line that he'll fight alongside those who he was originally raised with which very much makes Xander upset) and tells them that he'll 'teach' them a lesson to put them in their place before the event battle scene take place (it is similar except that Ryoma Dual Guards Corrin from Xander's attack). Ryoma then tells his other siblings to gear up for the upcoming battle. I don't know about the dialogue except for Leo's which seems to be "I didn't want to do this but prepare to face the consequences." His Defeat Dialogue (against those not named Corrin) falls under "You're stronger than you look."

Edited by Emblem Blade

Playing through Conquest after Birthright made me feel bad for the Hoshidan siblings. Even though Takumi's an emotional roller coaster in Nohr's path, Ryoma's sepukku made me weep. Marrying him in my Hard/Classic playthrough will ease my heart though.

Playing through Conquest after Birthright made me feel bad for the Hoshidan siblings. Even though Takumi's an emotional roller coaster in Nohr's path, Ryoma's sepukku made me weep. Marrying him in my Hard/Classic playthrough will ease my heart though.

Keep him alive once you get him (including Chapter 6 on any version), don't let your 'overprotective' big bro get killed (as you are going to do classic). Ryoma...your sacrifice made me feel like a horrible sibling, then again I really am a horrible sibling in Birthright and Conquest...

Keep him alive once you get him (including Chapter 6 on any version), don't let your 'overprotective' big bro get killed (as you are going to do classic). Ryoma...your sacrifice made me feel like a horrible sibling, then again I really am a horrible sibling in Birthright and Conquest...

I'm on Chapter 7 right now (I'm doing Revelations before doing Birthright again), but as long as I don't over think, Ryoma will survive. :D

I'm on Chapter 7 right now (I'm doing Revelations before doing Birthright again), but as long as I don't over think, Ryoma will survive. :D

Ryoma officially joins (as in actually become a real playable character) in Chapter 16 of Revelations if I'm correct. Xander and Leo join in the following Chapter. Sadly though, Scarlet dies in Revelation which tears me apart as I've grown to respect her.

Overthinking while playing isn't a bad idea as you're being thoughtful and careful, unless you waste too much time doing so.

For me, a tie between:

Elise's death. Reason number 1 why I don't like Birthright. Why? God damn it why?!?! (uncontrollable sobbing)

And

Sending Corrin to fight Sakura in Conquest Chapter 6. "Why are you doing this? I only wanted to l-love you!" Great, now I feel like a complete ass and it is actually depressing for once.

Edited by warchiefwilliams

For me, a tie between:

Elise's death. Reason number 1 why I don't like Birthright. Why? God damn it why?!?! (uncontrollable sobbing)

And

Sending Corrin to fight Sakura in Conquest Chapter 6. "Why are you doing this? I only wanted to l-love you!" Great, now I feel like a complete ass and it is actually depressing for once.

Seeing Elise sacrifice herself just makes me want to have Xander kill me (Corrin) even more and have him survive although that's not what Elise originally desired since she wanted both Xander and Corrin to stop fighting each other.

Fighting either Sakura or Elise in Chapter 6 is tearjerking since they can't even counterattack and both are very sad about having to fight their older sibling who they've grown or come to love. Even more so since you might unintentionally defeat/kill them if you had great level-ups prior to Chapter 6 making you feel like a complete idiot and traitor.

That one really stings. Hinoka's ''What have i been fighting for this whole time?'' defeat line gets me aswell.

Edited by BruceLee

That one really stings. Hinoka's ''What have i been fighting for this whole time?'' defeat line gets me aswell.

Corrin says that same line in Birthright Chapter 24 once the battle is over and after Lilith just died. Seeing harm come to those who you've come to love and enjoy die for your safety is enough to give just about anyone emotional turmoil.