Cipher codes?

Alex95

I've been told that certain packs of Cipher cards come with a code you can use to put in an Einherjar character into the games. Looking around the menus, I see no option for such codes. How do they work? Are the only part of the Japanese release?

• 2 weeks later...

Any word on whether the Cipher DLC characters (Marth, Masked Lucina, and Minerva) are going to see American release? Like could they be paid DLC rather than require download codes seeing that the Cipher TCG isn't going to be localized for international releases anytime soon?

• 2 weeks later...

Any word on whether the Cipher DLC characters (Marth, Masked Lucina, and Minerva) are going to see American release? Like could they be paid DLC rather than require download codes seeing that the Cipher TCG isn't going to be localized for international releases anytime soon?

No world on release outside of Japan, and release is highly unlikely given how A) these DLCs are very insubstantial, B) two of the characters are available via Amiibo, and C) they are intrinsically tied to the Cipher game. At this point, it doesn't seem to be worth the trouble for Nintendo.

HOWEVER.

If you are a diehard OCD completionist like myself, there is a way to play these DLCs on the English version... if you have custom firmware on your 3DS. A user by the name of RainThunder went ahead and did it, and posted some info on GBAtemp.

Edited by PapaDragon

No world on release outside of Japan, and release is highly unlikely given how A) these DLCs are very insubstantial, B) two of the characters are available via Amiibo, and C) they are intrinsically tied to the Cipher game. At this point, it doesn't seem to be worth the trouble for Nintendo.

HOWEVER.

If you are a diehard OCD completionist like myself, there is a way to play these DLCs on the English version... if you have custom firmware on your 3DS. A user by the name of RainThunder went ahead and did it, and posted some info on GBAtemp.

Yeah, I've heard. Problems are that I have no experience with homebrew (and currently running the most up-to-date firmware of the 3DS) and I don't know where to find the extdata for the Cipher DLC, let alone rebuild said DLC.

Yeah, I've heard. Problems are that I have no experience with homebrew (and currently running the most up-to-date firmware of the 3DS) and I don't know where to find the extdata for the Cipher DLC, let alone rebuild said DLC.

Well, the good news is that the latest firmware (10.7 at time of writing) can be downgraded to firmware that can be hacked. Unfortunately,

1) It's kind of tough to set up.

2) You'll probably need to buy a few things if you wanted to set it up.

3) If you're bad at following instructions/really really unlucky, you can brick your system.

And even if you're willing and able to go through that whole process... well, then you need to get your hands on the Cipher DLC files. Getting them by yourself is tricky (and possibly expensive), and then you'd basically have to modify them yourself. NOT getting them by yourself lets you skip extracting and rebuilding the files to be compatible with other regions, but is illegal and against this site's code of conduct to discuss.

While it is possible, it's probably not worth it. Just thought I'd mention it.

• 6 years later...

Finally found this site after so long! made a account to ask this, idk if its the right place for it but I am gonna ask it anyway. (I am gonna post this in a few other places so please ignore if you seen this already sorry just trying to get this to work of if this can work)

So my question is I have some Cipher DLC code for Marth and Lucina but I don't have a Japanese 3DS (I got some cipher cods cause I love FE and the Cards looked really great!) Can I still enter them some how if I have A homebrewed 3DS? (Just got it to work!) Or should I just go though the hacked way, cause the code may also be expired XD (I got them A while ago)