Effective Speed?

Soonaynay

I'm a little confused with what goes into calculating effective speed and doubling. So today I used Subaki to attack an enemy unit with a Javelin (Subaki's base speed: 11, enemy's base speed: 12). The Javelin has the effect of -5 effective speed, so now Subaki: 6, enemy: 12. However, Subaki also has the skill Darting Blow, which has the effect of +5 effective speed, so shouldn't their base speeds balance out to the original (Subaki: 11, enemy: 12)? Why is the enemy still able to double Subaki during Player Phase?

Thanks in advance!

I'm a little confused with what goes into calculating effective speed and doubling. So today I used Subaki to attack an enemy unit with a Javelin (Subaki's base speed: 11, enemy's base speed: 12). The Javelin has the effect of -5 effective speed, so now Subaki: 6, enemy: 12. However, Subaki also has the skill Darting Blow, which has the effect of +5 effective speed, so shouldn't their base speeds balance out to the original (Subaki: 11, enemy: 12)? Why is the enemy still able to double Subaki during Player Phase?

Thanks in advance!

The Javelin increases the enemy's effective speed rather than reducing yours according to the wiki. So you're both getting +5 to effective speed. You don't get enough to double him in that case (16 vs. 12) while the enemy does (17 vs 11).

Ah, I think I see. So essentially, the effective speed and double-attacking thresholds are calculated separately? And each effect is calculated individually to see if that specific unit can double or not?

Ah, I think I see. So essentially, the effective speed and double-attacking thresholds are calculated separately? And each effect is calculated individually to see if that specific unit can double or not?

Yeah, I'm 99% sure that they don't stack, but I don't know the specifics. I think they'd stack if they were both positive, but idk.

Edited by Phillius

Awesome, thanks for answering. Going off of that, can the ally and enemy units both double attack in the same turn due to this mechanic? (For example, comparing base speeds of 10 vs 10, and ally unit is using both a Javelin and the skill Darting Blow.) According to this explanation, each separate ES calculation should be 5 vs 10, and 15 vs 10, so they should both double attack. Can anyone confirm if this actually happens?

Awesome, thanks for answering. Going off of that, can the ally and enemy units both double attack in the same turn due to this mechanic? (For example, comparing base speeds of 10 vs 10, and ally unit is using both a Javelin and the skill Darting Blow.) According to this explanation, each separate ES calculation should be 5 vs 10, and 15 vs 10, so they should both double attack. Can anyone confirm if this actually happens?

Well, the Javelin does NOT allow you to double attack no matter what.

You can only test this theory with weapons like Chakram (a Shuriken).

Check the wiki

In theory, it should be possible under the right circumstances.

Hell, even a speed tie with both units having darting speed should cause both to double

The flaw with that is that Darting Blow only works for the initiator.