Lolcalization #TorrentialDownpour

IGdood

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Seriously though, can we all just not make this a thing please? I mean seriously, who's opinion is going to change on this topic? I can almost guarantee that outside of minor issues like being less hostile, almost everyone who talked about this in the last threads we had about this will not have budged an inch. Xaos will say that the the localisation should've stayed true to the localisation as possible, if not making any changes at all, others (sorry for not mentioning anyone by name, I was too busy head desking to memorise any names and the only reason I remember Xaos is because I like their Nyx fanfiction) will say that the changes are perfectly fine and the people complaining are overreacting. Accusations of being weebs and or being SJW's were thrown around, feelings were hurt and the whole thing was just such a clusterfuck that I honestly hoped the mods would lock the topics.

So please, for the love of all that is Holy, Unholy and everything in between, don't turn this into a 10+ page discussion. None of us need to retread this literal metaphorical landmine again, we had enough of this when the whole Kotaku mess started.

Sorry about the mini-modding, but bloody hell that gif I posted is only a mild exaggeration of how I feel about this.

Edited by Phillius

It was already pathetic when they were complaining about Soleil's support, the face rubbing and localized names. Now they're literally going through all the dialogue and comparing it with the fan translation (lol. They can just keep ruining the game for themselves, we'll just keep playing it and enjoying it.

At best, they're merely laughable. When I read stuff like ''they cut half of the game's content'' or ''If you're gonna take away what makes Fire Emblem what it is, I'll boycott'' it gives me the impression that most of the complainers know nothing about the game or series as a whole.

But then, at their worst, they're building hate mobs to harass and character assassinate Treehouse employees (big surprise, the movement started on 4chan).

I'm conflicted to think of their tamper tantrum as a joke when their immaturity and entitlement hurts people.

At the very least, I take comfort in the fact they're just an incredibly loud and obnoxious minority. The game still had a successful launch and they will have zero impact on game development in the future.

Edited by LeDom

This is getting tiresome, I will admit.

Besides, people are acting like this is the first time the localization changed things in Fire Emblem.

Ever since FE7, the localization has been changing things, and this is hardly the only time the localization changed story details.

I honestly prefer Arthur's supports with Peri than their jap supports, the latter are stupid. It's also stupid for a kid like Kanna to fall in romantic relationships with older people. Soleil's censorship was also stupid and the Sakura's supports with Corrin are indeed worse than the jap version. Kind of above the fence about the other things, though. The localization is mediocre but other than that, not bad.

Edited by Rapier

It was already pathetic when they were complaining about Soleil's support, the face rubbing and localized names. Now they're literally going through all the dialogue and comparing it with the fan translation.

We, members of the translation team, also don't appreciate our work, which we did for our own individual reasons, to be used to throw shit at people who like the localization.

I've actually been in contact with one of the leaders of #TorrentialDownpoar via KnowYourMeme's Fire Emblem Fates Localization Controversy page. They do bring up some valid points, but it's usually presented in such a negative way.

I'm one of the localization defenders on that site.

Edit:

Yep, that's him. I've seen most of those images. Like I said, he brings some valid points, like the typos. It's just so negative, and some of his points are major stretches, such as the "Skinship refrences".

Edited by Hunter Nightblood

The localization is give-and-take; what's given and what's taken/what's better and what's worse is highly subjective. There's nothing objective saying that it's worse because it isn't a 1-1 translation of the Japanese version.

There are things I like about the localization and things I don't like about it; at the end of the day, they break even and I don't give a damn.

Edited by The DanMan

I feel like problem with having complaints about difference in text regarding supports is the fact that there is an fan translation to begin with (this is NOT a shot at the translation team)

But hear me out, if there wasn't a fan tranlation, then most people wouldn't even see a difference unless they could read the Japanese text. Which I feel like importing would only do you good if you could understand what you are reading..... Unless you only care about gameplay. But if you only care about gameplay, then there wouldn't be complaints about the localized text.

But what I don't understand is what is boycotting the game going to do? They aren't going to redo the text that is written in it. They aren't going to cancel the product that is already out (Although I did see a petition trying to remove the game from store shelves...).

Now let's say it is the skinship change or removal of some accessories that is your reason for boycotting the game... Well, at that point you have to sit down and think "do the removal of these features mean so much to me that I will not buy the game because of this?"..... well, if your answer is yes, then that is your decision

But what I don't understand is what is boycotting the game going to do? They aren't going to redo the text that is written in it. They aren't going to cancel the product that is already out (Although I did see a petition trying to remove the game from store shelves...).

Now let's say it is the skinship change or removal of some accessories that is your reason for boycotting the game... Well, at that point you have to sit down and think "do the removal of these features mean so much to me that I will not buy the game because of this?"..... well, if your answer is yes, then that is your decision

It's the only way to state you are displeased with the way it turned out with any sort of weight behind it. Money talks.

Unfortunately, the game is pretty much slated to be a commercial success so the validity of that is questionable, but it is true that if you wanted to show that they don't have your sale, that's all you can do. Don't have a problem with those that refuse to buy the game because of it, but some people go on about it too much in an obnoxious way.

Edited by Tryhard

Don't have a problem with those that refuse to buy the game because of it, but some people go on about it too much in an obnoxious way.

In all honesty, I believe people can buy or refuse to buy a game for pretty much any reason. But when it gets to the point in which people do try to start petitions for a removal of a game because of some changes (again, I have seen some), I think that is going too far. Now I will say that not a lot of people made petitions, so it is a small group of people.

I also want to say that my personal thoughts is that I don't think every change they made is perfect. At the same time, I am not too bothered by it

Edited by DarkDestr0yer61

Please please please do not bring something like this back, I already stopped getting too much into tumblr because of localization hate, please dont ruin it here.

It's the only way to state you are displeased with the way it turned out with any sort of weight behind it. Money talks.

Unfortunately, the game is pretty much slated to be a commercial success so the validity of that is questionable, but it is true that if you wanted to show that they don't have your sale, that's all you can do. Don't have a problem with those that refuse to buy the game because of it, but some people go on about it too much in an obnoxious way.

Not buying a game won't tell the publisher anything, seeing how they have no way of knowing that they ever had a shot at getting one's money in the first place. Restraining yourself from purchasing a game to send a message to the publisher only makes sense when it can actually contribute towards a game not meeting sales expectations, which obviously won't happen here because as you say, the game is going to be a commercial success. It's best to go with the flow and contribute towards the publisher keeping it's expectations high and only jump ship when enough other people do, so that the publisher can actually feel the impact.

Of course if that happens here, Nintendo might just decide that the Fire Emblem brand is not making any money anymore and should no longer be supported. Unfortunately money really doesn't talk all that much and tends to leave things rather vague.

Edited by BrightBow

Not buying a game won't tell the publisher anything, seeing how they have no way of knowing that they ever had a shot at getting one's money in the first place. Restraining yourself from purchasing a game to send a message to the publisher only makes sense when it can actually contribute towards a game not meeting sales expectations, which obviously won't happen here because as you say, the game is going to be a commercial success. It's best to go with the flow and contribute towards Nintendo keeping it's expectations high and only jump ship when enough other people do, so that Nintendo can actually feel the impact.

Of course if that happens, Nintendo might just decide that the Fire Emblem brand is not making any money anymore and should no longer be supported.

I think that's the purpose of whatever this is - because I doubt they expect the script to be redone. At least it has the purpose of showing what they are upset about.

But actually, it makes perfect sense to not buy the game for personal reasons. I have not bought the game (well, not buying since it ain't out in Europe yet) because I was displeased about how Nintendo handled the situation. And, well, I'm also not interested in the game, so that of course helped.

I just mean it's the only thing you can do, not that refusing to buy the game tells them what they are doing wrong (unless they specifically go and ask about it, I suppose).

Edited by Tryhard

Honestly the worst thing localization did was put (laughs evilly) as the subtitle text in a cutscene

Who the fuck decided that

A friend of mine from another forum who is deaf really appreciated the fact that they subtitled the vocal effects in cutscenes.

Isn't this movement supposed to be moving onto Bravely Second? I'm sure their community is super excited to hear about localization changes for months like we have.

I heard that people already have seen localization changes and that the Bravely Second fandom is livid about what was changed(I also heard everything they've heard is mostly rumor and speculation) , so I'm assuming it already has.