Lolcalization #TorrentialDownpour

IGdood

actually it kinda makes even more sense from that viewpoint

a downpour is loud and obnoxious and makes no one happy

more like a torrential boo-hoo, then

also I do confess that some of their points are sound, but the sound part is suffocated by the enormous exaggeration and drama within the argument.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You would think people would be able to find better examples to complain about localisation changes. Fatal Frame? The lingerie for the adolescent characters? Same with Xenoblade Chronicles X, although there is also the removal of the breast slider which actually is rather unfortunate. Not sure what is going on with Bravely Default and ironically enough I don't actually know what people are so upset about in regards to Fates' localisation. But I find it difficult to imagine that those cases are that much better.

Edited by BrightBow

It still bothers me that people got this salty over this. This localization is a flipping God send compared to FE7,9, and 10's localizations. Why do people care so much that you can't touch your fricken waifu's face anymore unless she's asleep when we've had ENTIRE DIFFICULTIES removed from past games in the name of localization.

It still bothers me that people got this salty over this. This localization is a flipping God send compared to FE7,9, and 10's localizations. Why do people care so much that you can't touch your fricken waifu's face anymore unless she's asleep when we've had ENTIRE DIFFICULTIES removed from past games in the name of localization.

Personally I am also rather upset about them completely rewriting Ike's Epilouge speech into something that not only comes completely out of nowhere but also goes against everything what Part 4 was about.

[spoiler=Radiant Dawn Spoilers](Our version has Ike talk about gods being needed as inspiration, when the entirety of Part 4 was about how gods are just as flawed as humans.

Of course that wouldn't be so bad when that scene wasn't the conclusion of the entire Tellius saga. You shouldn't screw that part up.

Oh yeah, and they only translated the abridged script instead of the full version. Can't forget that one.

Edited by BrightBow

I honestly hope that all the people who've spent literal months doing nothing but bitch just don't buy the next game. Beating the fuck out of a dead horse accomplishes nothing.

You either accept the changes, buy the game and enjoy it regardless, or you don't and you move on. Jesus.

I honestly hope that all the people who've spent literal months doing nothing but bitch just don't buy the next game. Beating the fuck out of a dead horse accomplishes nothing.

You either accept the changes, buy the game and enjoy it regardless, or you don't and you move on. Jesus.

Nah, they moved over to complaining about censorship on #FE instead.

Nah, they moved over to complaining about censorship on #FE instead.

Didn't Nintendo basically flat out state they were barely localizing that game tho. I do know at least we're only getting Japanese voices with subs.

Sometimes things are over-exaggerated. Like how Hisame got "butchered". Except he didn't as one redditor (and me) found out by simply looking at his supports.
7hauWyJ.png
(I'm the person on the bottom)

And after a brief search, I found out that I was wrong. All of Hisame's supports that are about pickles are the ones that are about pickled vegetables in the Japanese version. The only thing changed was his My Room Dialogue.

Edited by Hunter Nightblood

Yeah but say (laughs). (laughs evilly) is just laughable.

For you, maybe, but have you watched something with Closed Captions? That's the level of detail it uses.

I really wish they would've picked a different name for this hashtag. Whenever I hear torrential downpour I just think of a downpour of tears from upset fans.

Anyway, I hope this gets the attention of NoA and Treehouse. While its too late to change this localization, it could prevent further half-assed localizations for future releases.

The localization made some positive changes and negative ones. It's people's prerogative of they want to boycott but trying to stir up hate for some of these changes (Sakura's support went from long and boring to shorter and boring) just seems petty. What a pretentious movement.

Sometimes things are over-exaggerated. Like how Hisame got "butchered". Except he didn't as one redditor (and me) found out by simply looking at his supports.

7hauWyJ.png

(I'm the person on the bottom)

And after a brief search, I found out that I was wrong. All of Hisame's supports that are about pickles are the ones that are about pickled vegetables in the Japanese version. The only thing changed was his My Room Dialogue.

As a Hisame fan, I'm glad to hear this. Unsurprisingly, the Effie situation is similiar; yeah, event tile quotes and My room lines are different, but her supports are largely intact.

It's people's prerogative of they want to boycott but trying to stir up hate for some of these changes (Sakura's support went from long and boring to shorter and boring) just seems petty.

speak for yourself, my game experience is extremely hindered by the changing of the Arthur x Pieri support and I demand that we receive better quality localizations! we will not stand for the removal of cheap boob jokes!

Edited by maybe

speak for yourself, my game experience is extremely hindered by the changing of the Arthur x Pieri support and demand that we receive better quality localizations! we will not stand for the removal of cheap boob jokes!

Pieri was such a fantastically written character! How could they ruin her like that!

Boycott Serenes!

Set fire to Gamestop!

Write to your senator and demand a product recall!

Get mad!

I don't want your damn localization!

Edited by NekoKnight

Sakura's support went from long and boring to shorter and boring) just seems petty. What a pretentious movement.

Yeah I scratched my head when I saw that one guy complain about it. All they cut was redundant dialogue that overstate the topic of the conversation. In my opinion, trimming it down is good localization.

speak for yourself, my game experience is extremely hindered by the changing of the Arthur x Pieri support and demand that we receive better quality localizations! we will not stand for the removal of cheap boob jokes!

I know right! So what if they didn't change the gameplay? Who cares no one even plays for that, but touch my boob jokes and ill refuse to buy the game

I don't support this Torrential Downpour movement, but I am rather unhappy with a lot of the localization changes. I could write a long essay about what the changes are and why it is an issue, but that's not really what's happening in this thread anyway.

In the end I just imported a Japanese copy. The more I see of the localization, the less I like it, and the more happy I am that I imported. The short term problem with Fates is solved.

I'm actually disappointed that people here are being so dismissive of the issue though. I can understand if the changes don't bother you, or you think they are too trivial to get worked up about. But:

Just because these things don't matter to you, doesn't mean that they doesn't matter to others.

I see a lot of people speaking down about people who dislike the localization. How dare they care about something you don't care about. How dare they see a problem where you don't. If they don't like certain aspects of the localization, they have every right to spread awareness and raise an outcry so that future localizations may be better. Instead of just not liking something, they try to do something about it. How dare they. (/sarcasm).

If you don't care about the changes, or they don't bother you, that's fine.

But talking down on people for caring, for taking issue, for caring about the integrity of the original work and wanting the story and characters that the Japanese writers at Intelligent Systems wrote, not the ones that some localizers at Treehouse wrote, that bothers me.

It may be a done deal with Fates, but I hope that future games don't get this kind of censorship and significant changes and errors like the Fates localization did.

Now I've heard that some of these Downpour people being very mean and nasty to others, I don't support that in any way. That being said, I've seen people who support the localization be just as bad.

I do really enjoy the Japanese version of Fates. It is a great game. I just wish that the English version didn't have so much changed with the localization. I don't mean a direct translation, some changes may be necessary or helpful, but just that so much of the character and meaning the original authors of the Japanese version intended has been lost or changed and that's not what I wanted.

Edited by XaosLogos

holy shit *laughs evilly* is actually in the game. pretty much sums up exactly why garon isn't a much more interesting villain than bowser

anyways shitty thread sorry billy but we are not bringing this up again. no good, intelligent or productive discussion could possibly come out of this thread

Edited by kantoorfarina

In the end I just imported a Japanese copy. The more I see of the localization, the less I like it, and the more happy I am that I imported. The short term problem with Fates is solved.

I'm actually disappointed that people here are being so dismissive of the issue though. I can understand if the changes don't bother you, or you think they are too trivial to get worked up about.

I understand where you're coming from. I own the Japanese version and enjoy it very much. Some of the changes in the localization were regrettable (Saizo x Belka C support comes to mind) but there was some good too (Mamui x Soleil was super creepy in the original). I don't mock people for defending the artistic integrity of the original work, but sometimes they exaggerate how serious the problems are. They acted liked Mamui x Sakura was a serious divergence from the original but the only notable change was redundant lines being cut. Other supports were more charming in the original but their alterations weren't serious enough boycott the game.

If people like the original game more than the localization, they can still buy it. For people who have never seen/played the original, they probably don't care.

Pieri was such a fantastically written character! How could they ruin her like that!

Boycott Serenes!

Set fire to Gamestop!

Write to your senator and demand a product recall!

Get mad!

I don't want your damn localization!

Bring back the days of Thracia and fan translations!

We're not gonna take it! How dare they remove Caeldori's flat chest comments!

holy shit *laughs evilly* is actually in the game. pretty much sums up exactly why garon isn't a much more interesting villain than bowser

That's what I was thinking the entire time. lmao