Lolcalization #TorrentialDownpour

IGdood

There's a lot of characters like Kellam. I don't think Setsuna has a single support where her character progresses past "hahaha i'm high". There are some examples from the earlier games like Ilyana but there are a lot more one-dimensional characters in FE13 and FE14 (although I do think FE14 is a slight step up from Awakening, Oboro is better than a lot of characters in the series). As for how much IS respects the characters, things like Hinoka's maid outfit cipher art and Micaiah's awakening dlc art do really bother me because they tell me that to IS, these characters are fap toys and I don't think that's very healthy if they want deep, well-written characters. I don't think the lack of personality in FE1/2 characters was from a lack of respect for them from IS, but from the NES's limitations. They did their best to make every character unique as unique as possible (though I do question why Macellan exists in the first place, they couldn't even bother giving him his own portrait.)

Edited by kantoorfarina

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What's going on in this nek-of-da woods? ... Oh... Oh noes... Oh no, now I feel like getting engaged, some one help!!
I hate the people, especially on Youtube, that say (especially say they're 18 or something) how localization teams should do there job. "Yur job is two translate it. Nuttin' else." BITCH we'd probably never be getting any games, from japan. I get it, localization sucks, but deal with it or no game at all. These people.... theeese peeeeeople, are salt as hell. And that makes me salty. You don't like the localization and yet you still bought it and enjoyed the damn game. Just... just to what? Go through every support and boycott? This fanbase is sick. And not the sick with toxins, but like f**king horrid acting like cancer. This is why the gaming medium is falling behind and isn't going anywhere.

I just want things to go back to the way they were. ;_;

What's going on in this nek-of-da woods? ... Oh... Oh noes... Oh no, now I feel like getting engaged, some one help!!

I hate the people, especially on Youtube, that say (especially say they're 18 or something) how localization teams should do there job. "Yur job is two translate it. Nuttin' else." BITCH we'd probably never be getting any games, from japan. I get it, localization sucks, but deal with it or no game at all. These people.... theeese peeeeeople, are salt as hell. And that makes me salty. You don't like the localization and yet you still bought it and enjoyed the damn game. Just... just to what? Go through every support and boycott? This fanbase is sick. And not the sick with toxins, but like f**king horrid acting like cancer. This is why the gaming medium is falling behind and isn't going anywhere.

Localization's job isn't to just translate it. In fact, since Treehouse is part of Nintendo, I highly doubt they did anything but do their job exactly how Nintendo wanted it done. How is it "censorship" when the changes were made in-house?

He's partially joking, you know. I also don't really see anybody being particularly "obnoxious" or "childish" at all in here (unless purely stating an opinion you don't agree with counts as such).

I'm joking too.

And if you honestly think that I'm saying that towards people just because I disagree with their opinion or such (instead of the way they present it) then I have nothing to say.

Edited by Tryhard

The thing is so many people think Localization=translation, when translating is only a part of what localization is for. There are many many things that goes on for localization, mostly having to do with the fact that they make sure that the game overall is acceptable and understandable for the country or region. example being some countries find pointing offensive, so if in a game a character is pointing at some part, that is likely to get changed in localization. Or things like Inside Outs vegetable scene being changed from Broccoli in the US, to Green Peppers in Japan as broccoli is more hated by children in the states while green peppers are more hated in Japan. Things were changed in Fire Emblem for them to be acceptable to the general audience that is North America, not just the US, but Canada, Mexico, etc. Sure people on various fan-sites for Fire Emblem may of been disappointed by changes, but overall most people won't know. Before the internet really became main-stream people weren't even aware of localization and its changes. Just look at the tons of changes done to the early Final Fantasy games. Kefka was made to be more comical and for lack of a better term, Joker-like, for the US so they would generally like the character better. Same thing happened with Fire Emblem when it's earlier games were localized. Roy was changed to be your more stalwart hero that the western audience is familiar with as opposed to the more meek and less opposing hero Roy was in Japan.

This even extends to the more comical side of games. So many people get annoyed or upset when there are references to pop culture like popular movies in these things. The thing is, once again, the general populace doesn't understand Japanese humor or references, so these references are changed to things that the new audience would be familiar with, thus the Karate Kid or Princess Bride references in the past two games. A similar thing happened to Soleil. I really recommend Brihard's video on the subject, he really covers the situation really well. Overall, Soleil just liked cute girls, which in Japan is popular because EVERYONE loves cute little girls, just look at the popularity of moe stuff and things like Babymetal, so in the japanese version it wasn't supposed to be meant as her being bi, it was just a character quirk. But to the western audience, liking cute girls when you are female is an indication of homosexuality or bisexuality. So Soleil was changed to keep that side of her intact, but explained as her being bi instead so that it was more understood by the western audience, not because Treehouse wanted to shove their PC ideals down everyone's throat like Torrential Downpour claims.

Sure stuff like Saizo and Beruka's support are there, but mistakes happen. More likely than not this was a mistake of forgetting to change the placeholder conversation rather than the real one, which could probably be changed in a patch. Same thing with grammar errors and spelling, it happens. Sure they should of had better editors checking over and making sure everything looked good and refined, but at least its not the "Welcome to die" or "All your bases are belong to us" of the past.

Does that mean localization is not open to criticism? No not at all. There are a few changes I didn't like with localization of Fates. For example Pieri's supports in Japan involved a little more character development on her part unlike here where Pieri stays for the most part the same. They also severely overplayed Pieri's murderous side in the NA release compared to the Japanese release. They changed the content of some supports that were not needed, for example Arthur and Pieri's support where the japanese version was about a shirt not being the right size, while the NA version was about a sword. They changed it from the shirt to avoid offending people because the word breasts are used, when the localization change further emphasizes on Pieri's murderous instincts rather than just wanting a shirt to properly fit. That really wasn't needed because its not like we are talking about something offensive here, its just a shirt. Of course on the other hand I am really glad they got rid of the talking in third person with Pieri as I generally, as do others, find it just weird and not a cute or endearing quirk at all. Another example is Pickle Boy, I don't even know the characters name but they changed him so much in localization that he has been made a joke character that all you can focus on is the joke side of the character, rather than him being able to be taken serious in any way.

Edited by Tolvir

I'm joking too.

And if you honestly think that I'm saying that towards people just because I disagree with their opinion or such (instead of the way they present it) then I have nothing to say.

Jokes/sarcasm don't carry well over the internet. I wouldn't have been surprised either way.

This even extends to the more comical side of games. So many people get annoyed or upset when there are references to pop culture like popular movies in these things. The thing is, once again, the general populace doesn't understand Japanese humor or references, so these references are changed to things that the new audience would be familiar with, thus the Karate Kid or Princess Bride references in the past two games. A similar thing happened to Soleil. I really recommend Brihard's video on the subject, he really covers the situation really well. Overall, Soleil just liked cute girls, which in Japan is popular because EVERYONE loves cute little girls, just look at the popularity of moe stuff and things like Babymetal, so in the japanese version it wasn't supposed to be meant as her being bi, it was just a character quirk. But to the western audience, liking cute girls when you are female is an indication of homosexuality or bisexuality. So Soleil was changed to keep that side of her intact, but explained as her being bi instead so that it was more understood by the western audience, not because Treehouse wanted to shove their PC ideals down everyone's throat like Torrential Downpour claims.

Does that mean localization is not open to criticism? No not at all. There are a few changes I didn't like with localization of Fates. For example Pieri's supports in Japan involved a little more character development on her part unlike here where Pieri stays for the most part the same. They also severely overplayed Pieri's murderous side in the NA release compared to the Japanese release. They changed the content of some supports that were not needed, for example Arthur and Pieri's support where the japanese version was about a shirt not being the right size, while the NA version was about a sword. They changed it from the shirt to avoid offending people because the word breasts are used, when the localization change further emphasizes on Pieri's murderous instincts rather than just wanting a shirt to properly fit. That really wasn't needed because its not like we are talking about something offensive here, its just a shirt. Of course on the other hand I am really glad they got rid of the talking in third person with Pieri as I generally, as do others, find it just weird and not a cute or endearing quirk at all. Another example is Pickle Boy, I don't even know the characters name but they changed him so much in localization that he has been made a joke character that all you can focus on is the joke side of the character, rather than him being able to be taken serious in any way.

One of my criticism's of the localization is that they put humor into scenes that were meant to be dramatic, not humorous. At times, I feel like it the game got the abridged treatment (as in parody series). A good example is the scene with Kanna, where in the jp, he's tearfully expressing how happy he is to be with his dad, while in the english, some joke about him saying I love you in dragon is made instead. When you consider how f-up the situation with deeprealms really is, the jp version treats the matter more seriously and appropriately than the english did. So I not opposed to changing jokes, I'm opposed to putting jokes in where there were none.

(Though if the kids thing were treated truly appropriately at all by the writers, they wouldn't have been in the game in the first place.)

Somewhat related, what they did to Syalla. They made her more like Tharja for what reason? For laughs? Pfft, how many actually found her to be not funny and instead creepy?

As a side note, I found it stupid that they thought emphasizing on Pieri's murderous instincts were less offensive than breasts. I mean, if breasts are so offensive, then why didn't they censor Camila or Charlotte?

"the gaming medium is falling behind" excellent joke sir. Whatever else may be said about it, gaming is stronger than its ever been in history, both in terms of total sales and demographic reach.

Localization's job isn't to just translate it. In fact, since Treehouse is part of Nintendo, I highly doubt they did anything but do their job exactly how Nintendo wanted it done. How is it "censorship" when the changes were made in-house?

Censorship is not and has never been solely at the behest of the Government. The comics code is a great example of this, where no government oversight was present but it still strangled out whole genres for a time. Self censorship is often more dangerous, just because it's insidious and less likely to be revealed. To use another example, DOAX3 didn't get an official release stateside, you have to import it. Why? because the producers felt that it wasn't worth it because of cultural concerns. No official body put a gun to their head, but they still elected to do it anyway out of fear of reprisal.

Censorship is not and has never been solely at the behest of the Government. The comics code is a great example of this, where no government oversight was present but it still strangled out whole genres for a time. Self censorship is often more dangerous, just because it's insidious and less likely to be revealed. To use another example, DOAX3 didn't get an official release stateside, you have to import it. Why? because the producers felt that it wasn't worth it because of cultural concerns. No official body put a gun to their head, but they still elected to do it anyway out of fear of reprisal.

At least they put english subtitles in to try and remedy the situation.

As a side note, I found it stupid that they thought emphasizing on Pieri's murderous instincts were less offensive than breasts. I mean, if breasts are so offensive, then why didn't they censor Camila or Charlotte?

comparing characters having large boobs to boob jokes in the dialogue is not a very valid comparison

1. Japan and America are reversed in their view of Violence and Sex being objectionable.

Japan is more accepting of sex and is repulsed by violence, culturally. America is the opposite.

2. Boob jokes and having big boobs is not the same.

comparing characters having large boobs to boob jokes in the dialogue is not a very valid comparison

I think he was referencing the thing I talked about, which was the Arthur and Pieri support where Pieri is upset because she bought a shirt, but the chest area was too small and she couldn't wear it. In localization they changed it to her buying a sword which emphasized even more her murderous side. What was so bad about the original? I thought the support was actually rather cute between the two, and the whole situation shouldn't be seen as offensive since it isn't objectifying her, its just a support about a shirt she really wanted not fitting. If it was about the support being offensive then wouldn't they of censored Camila and some of the more adult subjects in the supports and lines too?

One of my criticism's of the localization is that they put humor into scenes that were meant to be dramatic, not humorous. At times, I feel like it the game got the abridged treatment (as in parody series). A good example is the scene with Kanna, where in the jp, he's tearfully expressing how happy he is to be with his dad, while in the english, some joke about him saying I love you in dragon is made instead. When you consider how f-up the situation with deeprealms really is, the jp version treats the matter more seriously and appropriately than the english did. So I not opposed to changing jokes, I'm opposed to putting jokes in where there were none.

(Though if the kids thing were treated truly appropriately at all by the writers, they wouldn't have been in the game in the first place.)

Somewhat related, what they did to Syalla. They made her more like Tharja for what reason? For laughs? Pfft, how many actually found her to be not funny and instead creepy?

I fully agree, though I thought the end line with Kana in the paralogue was pretty cute, but I can definitely see where you are coming from. They definitely inserted comedy where it wasn't needed, for example the character I brought up that talks about pickles all the time. The changed him from a character that could be taken seriously, to a complete and total joke. For example, while it was a pretty funny conversation, the conversation in Chapter 18 I think where you have to save Ryoma, Hinoka, Takumi, and Sakura you have a fight between Xander and Ryoma over who looks better. Now I don't know what the original version was, but I have a feeling it might of been changed, and I would of liked some more meaningful dialogue in there. I think Syalla was already like Tharja, though I may be wrong on that.

I really liked Pieri in the original version, planned on her being one of the characters I always used, but in localization I really grew to have to create a bunch of headcannons and alternate ideas for her to be able to enjoy the character, much like I had to with Tharja and Nowi. I have a hard time pairing her up with anyone other than Laslow because he is the only support line that both comes to S Support naturally, and shows character growth for her.

I think he was referencing the thing I talked about, which was the Arthur and Pieri support where Pieri is upset because she bought a shirt, but the chest area was too small and she couldn't wear it. In localization they changed it to her buying a sword which emphasized even more her murderous side. What was so bad about the original? I thought the support was actually rather cute between the two, and the whole situation shouldn't be seen as offensive since it isn't objectifying her, its just a support about a shirt she really wanted not fitting. If it was about the support being offensive then wouldn't they of censored Camila and some of the more adult subjects in the supports and lines too?

alright i'm not an expert on this but let me explain why I think this is an improvement, and that big boobs are a different case

first off, talking about boobs to someone is completely different from someone having big boobs

they could've had it be anything else, or had it be some other type of clothing, but it's pretty obvious that they went for "my boobs are too big!!!" for the sake of cheap boob jokes

second, support conversations can lead to people getting married

i don't think i need to say much about that other than... it seems slightly questionable for two people to get married after you hear them talk about how big someone's boobs are a few times

on the other hand, people can have big boobs! that's not exactly under their control

I fully agree, though I thought the end line with Kana in the paralogue was pretty cute, but I can definitely see where you are coming from. They definitely inserted comedy where it wasn't needed, for example the character I brought up that talks about pickles all the time. The changed him from a character that could be taken seriously, to a complete and total joke. For example, while it was a pretty funny conversation, the conversation in Chapter 18 I think where you have to save Ryoma, Hinoka, Takumi, and Sakura you have a fight between Xander and Ryoma over who looks better. Now I don't know what the original version was, but I have a feeling it might of been changed, and I would of liked some more meaningful dialogue in there. I think Syalla was already like Tharja, though I may be wrong on that.

I really liked Pieri in the original version, planned on her being one of the characters I always used, but in localization I really grew to have to create a bunch of headcannons and alternate ideas for her to be able to enjoy the character, much like I had to with Tharja and Nowi. I have a hard time pairing her up with anyone other than Laslow because he is the only support line that both comes to S Support naturally, and shows character growth for her.

I believe the scene with Ryoma and Xander in Chapter 18 is pretty much the same in the same in the japanese version.

If I'm not mistaken Ryoma says his face is better looking than Xander's.

I heard from this user who had an Orochi icon,(I don't remember her username) that it was like that in the original, which frankly makes it something they should have changed in the localization. Now I'll admit I do laugh at the jokes IS inserted, but when I compare them to the original I end up feeling like I watched a parody, not the actual story. Some of my favorite shows to watch are abridged series, but I watch those when I want humor. I expected drama from Fates, not humor. Conquest's plot was badly done, but changing some drama to humor just rubs me wrong, as I feel it can cheapen the characters, who are probably the closest thing to a saving grace for the story. I wrote a post in some thread about the localization, and in it I wrote that I felt that the characters felt less diverse when they all became deadpan snarkers. Actually now that I checked, you started that thread, so feel free to look at page 2 of it for my post.

I believe the scene with Ryoma and Xander in Chapter 18 is pretty much the same in the same in the japanese version.

And then there is Xander's response to Ryoma's random banter: What was that?

Found the script for it from Tvtropes.

Avatar: "It's just that, despite your differences, the two of you are quite similar in some ways."
Xander: "Avatar! There's no need to insult me like that! I could not be anything like this sorry excuse of a prince."
Ryoma: "For once, I agree with Prince Xander. To start, I'm far more attractive."
Xander: "Beg pardon?!"
I could literally see something like this in an abridged series, which makes it all the more sadder that these two squabbling like teenagers and not behaving like prospective rulers of their countries were an original part of the story, and not a result of the localization.

alright i'm not an expert on this but let me explain why I think this is an improvement, and that big boobs are a different case

first off, talking about boobs to someone is completely different from someone having big boobs

they could've had it be anything else, or had it be some other type of clothing, but it's pretty obvious that they went for "my boobs are too big!!!" for the sake of cheap boob jokes

second, support conversations can lead to people getting married

i don't think i need to say much about that other than... it seems slightly questionable for two people to get married after you hear them talk about how big someone's boobs are a few times

on the other hand, people can have big boobs! that's not exactly under their control

Well when I said I found the support cute, I meant before the S Support. The S Support was a bit of a jump, as are most of them. Maybe they did mean for those jokes to be in there, but I didn't see the jokes in the support. There were more jokes about Arthur being the dumbass that he is than anything buying the wrong shirts and everything. All I was pointing out with the support is that when they changed it, all they did was put even more emphasis on her murderous side than the original, which made her even more of a gimmick character. That is why he said how is that more offensive than someone wanting to buy more things to kill people with. I'm not attacking Camila for her design either, at least the characters have variation between them which is more realistic than everyone looking the same. All I am pointing out is that its a bit of a stupid change if they thought it was offensive when you have characters like Niles who are walking innuendos dispensers given character portraits.

Well when I said I found the support cute, I meant before the S Support. The S Support was a bit of a jump, as are most of them. Maybe they did mean for those jokes to be in there, but I didn't see the jokes in the support. There were more jokes about Arthur being the dumbass that he is than anything buying the wrong shirts and everything. All I was pointing out with the support is that when they changed it, all they did was put even more emphasis on her murderous side than the original, which made her even more of a gimmick character. That is why he said how is that more offensive than someone wanting to buy more things to kill people with. I'm not attacking Camila for her design either, at least the characters have variation between them which is more realistic than everyone looking the same. All I am pointing out is that its a bit of a stupid change if they thought it was offensive when you have characters like Niles who are walking innuendos dispensers given character portraits.

Pretty much what I was trying to say. You think Americans would be more opposed to violence considering how much focus school shootings get in our country when they happen. Of course, one could argued that our lack of opposition to it is a contributing factor to those tragedies. But, yeah, the change is weird and could come off as a double standard to some.

Pretty much what I was trying to say. You think Americans would be more opposed to violence considering how much focus school shootings get in our country when they happen. Of course, one could argued that our lack of opposition to it is a contributing factor to those tragedies. But, yeah, the change is weird and could come off as a double standard to some.

Well that stems mostly from our puritan and Quaker roots more than anything. It is ridiculous, not arguing against it, but it makes sense when you look at the history behind it all. But that is a topic for another time so onto something else.

Honestly, the localization has been a bit hit-and-miss for me. For the most part, it's nothing egregious, but I could notice some areas where the localization was ... lame? Quite a few of the N!Corrin's supports with characters feels...a bit childish in her naivete. Effie's a muscle buff, and that's it. Arthur...I didn't keep him long enough to know for sure, but he seems like a discount super hero. lol

Honestly, I'll be checking out the fan translation when I try out the Restoration patch in a month or two - hoping to have played through both paths in their entirety by then - and by the time I've finished that version, I'll probably make a mental amalgamation of the two scripts that keeps the (subjective) best parts of the two for the best possible optimal script. lol

"the gaming medium is falling behind" excellent joke sir. Whatever else may be said about it, gaming is stronger than its ever been in history, both in terms of total sales and demographic reach.

Boi, son, lad. Don't act like you don't know it. Just because we're making more diverse games now than back then doesn't mean the medium is where it should be on the economy chart. It's not the games, but the people.

Everyone wants gaming to be art, and yet the community makes a joke out of itself by judging which console is better or them facing PC's, crying and making controversies about simple things like localization, and shit on Sonic the Hedgehog every time despite Mario doing the same thing. Poor Sonic... poor sonic... And this Post. This post is a joke. This is why aliens don't visit and we get called whiners.

Face reality, the gaming economy is falling behind to other mediums.

1. Japan and America are reversed in their view of Violence and Sex being objectionable.

Japan is more accepting of sex and is repulsed by violence, culturally. America is the opposite.

2. Boob jokes and having big boobs is not the same.

Even then, Japan can only take sex to a degree. I remember seeing a video that they censored God of War's breasts. Even Heavy Rain was censored, removing sex scenes. I think even in Res Evil 4 Ash's breasts didn't bounce, I think.

It comes down to more, they can't handle reality and only sexualized fantasy 13 year-olds.

I'm curious in terms of what? I find that hard to believe when they say video games are making more money than films or literature. Also the fact video games as a whole is very different medium being an interactive mediums and a young one at that.

Boi, son, lad. Don't act like you don't know it. Just because we're making more diverse games now than back then doesn't mean the medium is where it should be on the economy chart. It's not the games, but the people.

Everyone wants gaming to be art, and yet the community makes a joke out of itself by judging which console is better or them facing PC's, crying and making controversies about simple things like localization, and shit on Sonic the Hedgehog every time despite Mario doing the same thing. Poor Sonic... poor sonic... And this Post. This post is a joke. This is why aliens don't visit and we get called whiners.

Have you ever heard about vocal minorities? Because that's what everything you described is. The vast majority of people might have a judgement one way or another, but they don't make a fuss over it. Saying what you said is like saying that most Republicans are Tea Partiers or something.

Are you seriously trying to argue that Video Games are doing worse economically than before? What are your sources? What websites or studies claim this?

It comes down to more, they can't handle reality and only sexualized fantasy 13 year-olds.

Before I say anything, I'm going to ask who "they" refers to here.