Lolcalization #TorrentialDownpour

IGdood

Have you ever heard about vocal minorities? Because that's what everything you described is. The vast majority of people might have a judgement one way or another, but they don't make a fuss over it. Saying what you said is like saying that most Republicans are Tea Partiers or something.

Are you seriously trying to argue that Video Games are doing worse economically than before? What are your sources? What websites or studies claim this?

I said, video games is falling behind to other mediums. I also said that that video gaming isn't where it should be. I'm not arguing that Video Games are doing worse then they were 5 to 10 years ago (While arguable), but I can sure as hell say Gaming supposed to be better than what we have today. So allow me to explain despite a good topic being off topic to this post. I'll try to keep it brief.

(http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/20/5522320/final-fight-can-japans-gaming-industry-be-saved) It was seen by Mr. Inafune that Japan pretty much made the Video Games, but not doing as good as they used be as years went by. How I see it, we don't get the whole "This game is a masterpiece/milestone in gaming" as we used to. Japan's Nintendo made OoT and it was called a masterpiece and milestone in gaming. And I seriously don't see a lot of this in today's games, as today's games are more... just 2 dimensional. Japan aren't making their best products as much as they used to be doing like with Majora's Mask, and FF7 or anything in between 1995-2002 which could be argued the peak, the best, the Golden Age of gaming. The best thing Japan have are the lead with is their JRPG's to the WRPG's falling behind. Games like Pokemon, Dark Souls, SMT and even FE:Fates are pretty much the only things holding bar against the West and doing a good job of getting needed money. Even then, people argue that Pokemon is on a decline, too.

So with Japan not doing as of well as they used to, what about the West. Well they're making the same thing over and over again. Western games have dropped in quality quite a bit. Few games coming out might change this like No Mans Sky (heavy panting). I remember Miyamoto saying that Japan or Nintendo is creative with their works. That the west are in lead of money from doing the same thing over and over again, only for the money and not inventing new things and not trying anymore to grow the industry. So this is one reason why a few things in Nintendo fail, because they try so hard to make the game for different people and thus suffer from it. But this is why CoD, Assassins Creed and such keep doing the same stuff. If it ain't broke don't fix it, but while not inventing anything better for future growth (At least Dark Souls 3 and MGS5 is trying). If that's the case, in which kind of is, then the gaming industry is gonna suffer no matter how good a game looks or the genre. We don't want cliche stories and boring gamelay again and again. We need new characters, rich writing, and immersive worlds. A lot of the reason why we play games. These guy's seem to think the same calling it the Dark Age in gaming. I agree with them. Quality is a slippery slope. We understand that quantity is important, but so is the quality.

Instead of going into paragraphs, for reasons. I'll link you.

If you ever go through them. You can see people are indeed looking at it the same way. There's a decline. Gaming isn't where it should be. It's falling behind. And us complaining about this original post doesn't help.

The best thing is the indie games. That'll always be good.

Do you see where I'm coming from.

Before I say anything, I'm going to ask who "they" refers to here.

I'm just talking that Japan censor a lot of sexual content too. But again... not little anime girls... curious-er and curious-er. <.<

Edited by Great Geargia Gateway

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Boi, son, lad. Don't act like you don't know it. Just because we're making more diverse games now than back then doesn't mean the medium is where it should be on the economy chart. It's not the games, but the people.

Everyone wants gaming to be art, and yet the community makes a joke out of itself by judging which console is better or them facing PC's, crying and making controversies about simple things like localization, and shit on Sonic the Hedgehog every time despite Mario doing the same thing. Poor Sonic... poor sonic... And this Post. This post is a joke. This is why aliens don't visit and we get called whiners.

Face reality, the gaming economy is falling behind to other mediums.

I'm not sure about that. We have 5 video game movies announced for the next few years (of course only one of them looks promising), video game news is getting front pages on sites like Fox News, Yahoo, and other popular news sites. Witcher 3, Dragon Age Inquisition, Mass Effect all sold really well. The fact we are getting 5 or more movie adaptation should mean something because Hollywood wouldn't make movies out of them if they didn't see $$$ out of it. The gaming industry isn't falling behind, its getting bigger. Nintendo on the other hand is falling behind, but that is from their own stubbornness and stupidity rather than the market dying. A lot of people are putting hope in the NX, but I highly doubt this thing is going to catch them up to PS4/Xbox one, its likely to just be another gimmick system like Wii U. They also only push Mario, Smash Bros, and a few other titles, instead of giving other titles a shot. Hell, they gave Pokemon 20th anniversary a Super Bowl Commercial, when it didn't even have a new game arriving yet. Fire Emblem or one of their other up and coming titles should of gotten the Super Bowl Commercial slot for more advertisement. The biggest US event of the year for advertising, and Nintendo doesn't even use their slot to advertise a new game.

Edited by Tolvir

I said, video games is falling behind to other mediums. I also said that that video gaming isn't where it should be. I'm not arguing that Video Games are doing worse then they were 5 to 10 years ago (While arguable), but I can sure as hell say Gaming supposed to be better than what we have today. So allow me to explain despite a good topic being off topic to this post. I'll try to keep it brief.

(http://www.theverge.com/2014/3/20/5522320/final-fight-can-japans-gaming-industry-be-saved) It was seen by Mr. Inafune that Japan pretty much made the Video Games, but not doing as good as they used be as years went by. How I see it, we don't get the whole "This game is a masterpiece/milestone in gaming" as we used to. Japan's Nintendo made OoT and it was called a masterpiece and milestone in gaming. And I seriously don't see a lot of this in today's games, as today's games are more... just 2 dimensional. Japan aren't making their best products as much as they used to be doing like with Majora's Mask, and FF7 or anything in between 1995-2002 which could be argued the peak, the best, the Golden Age of gaming. The best thing Japan have are the lead with is their JRPG's to the WRPG's falling behind. Games like Pokemon, Dark Souls, SMT and even FE:Fates are pretty much the only things holding bar against the West and doing a good job of getting needed money. Even then, people argue that Pokemon is on a decline, too.

So with Japan not doing as of well as they used to, what about the West. Well they're making the same thing over and over again. Western games have dropped in quality quite a bit. Few games coming out might change this like No Mans Sky (heavy panting). I remember Miyamoto saying that Japan or Nintendo is creative with their works. That the west are in lead of money from doing the same thing over and over again, only for the money and not inventing new things and not trying anymore to grow the industry. So this is one reason why a few things in Nintendo fail, because they try so hard to make the game for different people and thus suffer from it. But this is why CoD, Assassins Creed and such keep doing the same stuff. If it ain't broke don't fix it, but while not inventing anything better for future growth (At least Dark Souls 3 and MGS5 is trying). If that's the case, in which kind of is, then the gaming industry is gonna suffer no matter how good a game looks or the genre. We don't want cliche stories and boring gamelay again and again. We need new characters, rich writing, and immersive worlds. A lot of the reason why we play games. These guy's seem to think the same calling it the Dark Age in gaming. I agree with them. Quality is a slippery slope. We understand that quantity is important, but so is the quality.

Instead of going into paragraphs, for reasons. I'll link you.

(http://boards.na.leagueoflegends.com/en/c/GD/hbb356r5-do-you-think-the-video-game-industry-is-declining?show=flat) These guys argue that consoles are declining.

(http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=137465.0) This guy goes ham about the decline of gaming.

(https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8-vHp86aEo) And uhh... yeah... A video about our topic. It's scary funny doh.

(http://fortune.com/2015/06/15/video-game-industry-innovation/) Article.

(http://kotaku.com/5789033/why-dont-i-lose-myself-in-games-anymore) More crap.

If you ever go through them. You can see people are indeed looking at it the same way. There's a decline. Gaming isn't where it should be. It's falling behind. And us complaining about this original post doesn't help.

The best thing is the indie games. That'll always be good.

Do you see where I'm coming from.

I'm just talking that Japan censor a lot of sexual content too. But again... not little anime girls... curious-er and curious-er. <.<

Do you know why we don't have any masterpieces, like before?

It's because the gaming comunity has become more critical.

Back in OoT's age, reviews of games were still pretty young a different back then. These days people analyze every single detail of a game, which makes much more easier to see the flaws of the game.

Try to imagine the gaming comunity of these days in OoT's era, the comunity that analyzes every single detail of a game.

Do you honestly think that OoT would be considered a masterpiece?

It's not the games that have gotten worse.

It's the comunity that got more critical.

Edited by Water Mage

And then there is Xander's response to Ryoma's random banter: What was that?

The part I do hate about both sides is assumptions that something has changed or not changed.

Thus coming from someone who played the Japanese version... not even someone who has can remember every single scene that can have a change in it.

The part I do hate about both sides is assumptions that something has changed or not changed.

Thus coming from someone who played the Japanese version... not even someone who has can remember every single scene that can have a change in it.

I've seen people comparing localized and original scripts line by line and dedicate whole posts to dissecting even the tiniest changes. IMO that's a bit... well, obsessive and more than a bit highlander-y. and often sounds more like "They changed this line, and this one, and this one! The game's ruined! Localization SUCKS! All hail the original!"

Edited by My Blue Sky

-snip-

<- lots of valid points

It's the AAA games in both West and East that is suffering for the most part. I would argue gaming in large have reached it's peak, with that I completely agree with you that the gaming have been on decline. However, people are starting to mastering the medium instead. We are far from mastering the Video Game medium as I previously mentioned the gaming medium is very different from the traditional medium. There is a lot of untapped potential both on the innovation front, which many people are hung up on, and mastering it.

Remember folks Tropes Are Tools.

the decline of gaming is widely overstated and I don't know how people can't see that triple A developers aren't willing to do more original things with their product because the development costs and times have grown exponentially since games 5-10 years ago and they understandably want to be safe with their ideas as per good business practice.

if you want to criticize a company for good business practices, then that makes no sense. and I don't really see how the West is any different from Japanese developers. Most of what I've seen puts them on the same plate. Including Nintendo.

If you want more originality, you have to look towards more obscure games without massive funding such as indie games or other games that aren't triple A. It's completely false to say that games are worse (or instead that it should be better currently, because there has always been good and bad and always will) than they were 5-10 years ago or whatever, because there is always something that can be entertaining coming out.

as for communities, there has always been dicks in gaming and to focus on them instead of the vast majority of good (or just people that don't make a fuss) people that are involved in gaming communities is not the right mindset.

Edited by Tryhard

Yeah, as others have stated, gaming is alive and well. Sure, you're not going to find new ground breaking features and styles in the average AAA titles. But gaming has never been more creative than it is now in the indie and small publisher scene. If you're more concerned about videogames as an art form, support the games that actually do something new/different. Mainstream movies, comics, books, TV, anime, etc. are always going to play it safer because 1.most companies aren't going to dump a ton of money into something that won't be a guaranteed hit and 2.they're trying to reach the widest audience possible while pleasing their current fan base. If people are just going to keep buying the same Assassin's Creed over and over, Ubisoft has absolutely no incentive to shake things up. This problem isn't new or unique to the gaming industry, we get piles of sequels and reboots of the same movies over and over again in the movie industry. AAA games are our summer movie blockbusters that bring nothing new to the table and indie games are the critical darlings from the Sundance festival.

Can we move on from the talk about whether the industry's dying or not? The thread is about the localization.

That said, I think i found the exception to my "no humor in the scene unless it was already there" rule.

And that is the english version of Selena's and Laslow's support where she gave him a taste of his own medicine. In the jap, she just stared at him. In the english, the contrast between how she usually acts and how she's acts when she pretends to flirt is really funny.

Honestly, the localization has been a bit hit-and-miss for me. For the most part, it's nothing egregious, but I could notice some areas where the localization was ... lame? Quite a few of the N!Corrin's supports with characters feels...a bit childish in her naivete. Effie's a muscle buff, and that's it. Arthur...I didn't keep him long enough to know for sure, but he seems like a discount super hero. lol

Someone I know is playing through the Japanese version of the game, and I actually asked him about Arthur the other night, since I was curious about his Japanese portrayal. I haven't done an extensive comparison or anything, but it sounds like the localization is pretty faithful to the original here - he's definitely a discount super hero in both versions of the script. Some of his battle lines were changed, at least, but the theme is the same. He's a ridiculous character, but I kind of love him for that... even if I ended up dropping him due to his terrible Luck.

Personally, I have some problems with the way the localization was handled, but... from fan translated scripts I've read, I get the impression that most of it is accurate and well done. It doesn't feel right to say I'm happy with it overall, due to the parts that aren't, but the things I don't like aren't common or prominent enough to really interfere with my enjoyment of the game.

Arthur is completely different actually. He's a complete exaggeration of what he was in the original. His character is a superhero, but he's surely not Tick. At least, in the supports that have been checked for alterations, he's exaggerated just like Effie is.

Arthur is completely different actually. He's a complete exaggeration of what he was in the original. His character is a superhero, but he's surely not Tick. At least, in the supports that have been checked for alterations, he's exaggerated just like Effie is.

Are you the same person who is posting the comparisons on KnowYourMeme?

If so, hi.

I like Arthur how he is now, even if it is exaggerated. FOR JUSTIIIIICE!