Is it weird I'm enjoying Radiant Dawn more than Conquest?

So I picked up Radiant Dawn after playing Conquest. I'm still at the Dawn Brigade chapters but I'm enjoying the game more for some reason than Conquest. Maybe its the story or Micaiah's not as spineless as Kamui? The game though really likes handing out op units on the go.

Haven't played Fates, but Radiant Dawn is a pretty good game (arguably one of the best mechanics wise), so it's not a surprise that you would find it enjoyable. People love to criticize the story, which certainly does have its flaws, although they only really become apparent in the latter half of the game.

I wonder if you will still have that opinion after playing through part 2

I mean, opinions and all but imo that part has some of the worst chapters in fire emblem

Radiant Dawn is my least favorite fire emblem game but i find the dawn brigade chapters pretty enjoyable. The rest of it bores me, though.

So yeah, overall I really prefer Conquest to Radiant Dawn and it's not even close, but people have different opinions so i wouldn't really call it "weird"

Edited by Nobody

I wonder if you will still have that opinion after playing through part 2

I mean, opinions and all but imo that part has some of the worst chapters in fire emblem

Radiant Dawn is my least favorite fire emblem game but i find the dawn brigade chapters pretty enjoyable. The rest of it bores me, though.

I love the dawn brigade chapters, but I honestly quit during chapter 2 cause it was so boring

Of course not, RD is a great game. I'm actually doing another playthrough of it currently, and I've played the game plenty of times. I just wish there was more gecko codes for the PAL version, I'd love to mess around with unplayable characters.

What's so bad about Part 2? I mean, I get that it's an issue on replays since you don't really have a choice on who to deploy, but why would it be bad on a first run?

In my opinion, the map design is just awful, worse than even the worst maps in awakening

The prologue is literally a bunch of random enemies randomly spread through an empty spece, the definition of boring. Haar, Elincia and Nealuchi to a lesser extent have no problem dealing with any of the enemies.

Chapter 1 is just a simple village with a bunch of enemies that you have to kill using literally a couple of units. The villages are all over the map, which makes visiting them all really boring. Only having two units to use while having to visit villages and having to use another one of them to recruit a character is also really boring.

Chapter 2 is a fow map without the biggest appeal of fow maps, challenge and surprises. Just move your units, which are quite stronger than the enemies, to the boss and that's it. Playing defensively, it's trivial.

Chapter 3, Geoffrey's Charge, is the star of the show. If it wasn't by it, I wouldn't even remember part two as anything other than a bunch of boring chapters put together. This right here is probably the worst designed thing i have ever seen on a fire emblem game. I don't know who thought making a chapter full of weak enemies blocking your way, that can't treaten you, but only slow you down, was a good idea. There's no challenge in this map, all you have to do is move Geoffrey towards the boss making sure you get the speedwing and that's it. Except it's really slow, since there are a zillion enemies units in it, which makes EP extremely slugish. The allied units make it even worse.

Final is decent I guess. It can be easily beaten in two turns with base Elincia, Haar and Calil, and there's also an abundance of annoying "allied" units that make it slugish to play again but that's it. Still pales when compared to masterly designed defense chapters like Conquest's chapter 10, for exemple.

Part 2 isn't a test of strategic skills, but rather a test of patience. And a really annoying one at that.

Of course, that's just my opinion. Feel free to disagree with it

Edited by Nobody

Nah. RD is flawed, but fun. I will concur that Part 2 is probably the worst part simply because it's the most boring, but it serves it's purpose well enough and really doesn't over stay its welcome.

It's not weird, it's only natural!

FE10 is a so damn great FE game gameplaywise, and storywise it's not as bad as lots people mentioned.

(of course not as great as FE9, but still very good)

Nothing, absolute nothing will dethrone FE10 as my favorite videogame of all time!

Edited by Mister IceTeaPeach

My friend was telling me that Conquest has mechanics that are similar to RD, so I'm curious to see how it compares. Too bad the story makes RD's flawed narrative look like a masterpiece.

Wow, Conquest story is that bad huh?

• 3 weeks later...

Part 1 is good.
Part 2 feels bad and unnessecary.
Part 3 oicks up pretty well and is all round good. I love the army switches too!
Part 4 feels too rushed and uses cheap tactics.

My friend was telling me that Conquest has mechanics that are similar to RD, so I'm curious to see how it compares. Too bad the story makes RD's flawed narrative look like a masterpiece.

Eh. RD's story is pretty boring overall. Conquest is more "so bad it's good", so I feel like it's less of "Come for the gameplay, skip the story" a la RD than "Come for the gameplay, laugh at the story". One of them is just mediocre, while the other is entertaining for mostly the wrong reasons.

People are barking in here. Part 2 was awesome! Great character development for Elincia and that final map (Elincia's Gambit) was bomb af.

OP, nah. RD is pretty fun

Not necessarily, OP. Different stokes for different folks and all that, but I personally felt that RD did a lot of story things better than Conquest did. Micaiah as a protagonist versus Kamui as a protagonist, for one, and Elincia's character growth is really amazing.

If you're talking about gameplay, some people prefer the gameplay of RD (and the older games) while other people like pair up and the newer games more. It's subjective.