Is it weird I'm enjoying Radiant Dawn more than Conquest?

• 1 month later...

RD is pretty damn fun, but the difficult spike can be rather merciless.

A piece of advice, this game, loooooove enemies Generals. Seriously. There are a lot, a lot of Generals in this game.

And the reinforcements in some chapter, especially in Part 4, can be overwhelming.

And the reinforcements in some chapter, especially in Part 4, can be overwhelming.

If your team is strong, which is likely, they tend to be easy to kill and tedious to deal with because they come very repeatedly.

If your team is strong, which is likely, they tend to be easy to kill and tedious to deal with because they come very repeatedly.

This is what I found more than anything and primarily the reason I hate part 4. It's annoying if you're leveling up underpowered people, and just tedious when using a strong team.

Depends who you ask alot of people are pretty split on it

Alot of people have issues with Corrin/MU in that path and seemingly following Garon till the last moment.

Before Conquest came out (and while watching a fantranslated playthrough of it), I expected something like

Kamui joining a covert resistance force alongside his Nohrian siblings, as all of them double-agent as soldiers of Nohr. I imagined that Leon's intellect would be crucial, as he would be the brains behind the operation (while Kamui is an especially important part of making everything work). This sort of thing has been done before, but I'd say it's still a lot more engaging (and sensible) than having Kamui be a senseless (albeit merciful) pawn of Garon's.

Anyway, as far as RD v. Conquest goes, I'm on the "they're both good games, dont feel guilty for liking one over the other" camp. Despite its story and characterization flaws, I rather enjoyed RD. I'd so buy an HD remake of the Tellius Saga if they ported it to 3DS.

Edited by Tessie Spoon

Not at all! I found myself enjoying RD more than Conquest (or any version of Fates for that matter). Fates just doesn't feel very Fire Emblem-y. There's just so much new stuff- Accesories, My Castle, Face Patting if you're in Japan, that it feels like it's straying away from what Fire Emblem is.

And then the writing- OH HO HO the writing. Where did the creators pull the whole "Deep realm" thing from??

Not weird at all. Plotwise it's very enjoyable, though while yes, part 2 isn't terribly exciting, it's so short that I've never found it boring in any of my playthroughs. It introduces necessary characters for later in the story. I enjoy having to complete maps with a smaller amount of units every once in a while. So really, I love all 4 parts.

Gameplay in both games is great, and both pose a challenge. Endgame in RD raped me in my first playthrough. Though I'd say RD becomes much easier in subsequent playthroughs, as you know which units will do well in endgame.

Radiant Dawn and Conquest both seem relatively ambitious, Conquest just fails in achieving that 80% of the time. Not that I didn't love the characters and the events that happen later in the story - it has its great moments. Radiant Dawn's story has a wider scope than any FE I can think of.

Radiant Dawn is my favorite in the series, so no surprises here with everything I said. Conquest might be my 3rd favorite in the series, if only for the great gameplay and challenge.

Not weird. I feel like I can actually play RD and follow the gameplay mechanics OK when I play. I don't have to worry about a couple dozen personal skills that activate against enemies that can/can't defend themselves, are male or female, etc., different buffs/debuffs to stats based on weapon rank for hidden weaps. I definitely enjoy fates, but I feel like it's too much sometimes in that regard.

People are barking in here. Part 2 was awesome! Great character development for Elincia and that final map (Elincia's Gambit) was bomb af.

OP, nah. RD is pretty fun

I don't really like the maps in part 2 besides Elincia's Gambit, and I also don't really like the plot besides what goes on with Elincia. Sort of a mixed bag.

RD is one of my favorite FE games in large part due to the stellar mechanics and depth therein; the maps are varied, and the difficulty is one of those numbers where its challenging at first, but then once you figure out what works you can get it pretty consistently. The fact that BEXP gains are a guaranteed +1 in three stats contributes a lot there -- average stats in RD are way higher than the table given here on SF because of BEXP alone. Those are "vanilla" average stats.

But some silly/fun things in Radiant Dawn that are great:

• Disarming an enemy and then stealing their weapon
  • Adept + Cancel (+ Disarm)
  • Most strats that involve unshifted Tibarn
  • Unshifted laguz with spell cards
  • Unshifted laguz punching mages to death (overlaps with unshifted Tibarn strats)

and much more I can't think of at the moment because it's been a while since I've played the game entirely through.

In general laguz are pretty fun to use despite their general lack of consistency due to gauges. That said, gauges are a big part of what make laguz interesting, so it's a tradeoff.

The sheer depth of the game, given its diverse cast and unique skill mechanics, provides a lot of replayability once you get over the hump.

Part 2 really is pretty jarring, though. It's unlike anything else in FE outside of FE4, and even then, you only experienced one cast jump in FE4. P2 jumps every chapter and it's really annoying as a first-time player. Part 3 manages that a lot better, and by Part 4 you're (mostly) prepared for it, even on a first run.

So I picked up Radiant Dawn after playing Conquest. I'm still at the Dawn Brigade chapters but I'm enjoying the game more for some reason than Conquest. Maybe its the story or Micaiah's not as spineless as Kamui? The game though really likes handing out op units on the go.

Nah, Radiant Dawn is a very good in its own (and one of my favorites).

And yeah, at least the story isn't like the Conquest's that basically is "Kamui/Corrin-centred".

It's not weird at all, FE10 is fantastic. Not as good as GBA FE, but fantastic.

Edit in regard to Part 2: It was my least favorite, the game could have been just fine and the plot unchanged without it. And I more or less agree with Nobody on the maps.

Edited by Glaceon Mage

Part 2 is a love-hate-relationship for me.

• 2-P is the only chapter in FE, which takes place in the air.
  • 2-1 is my least favorite chapter in FE10 and one of my least favorites in the entire seires. Only two mediocre units, who have to fight lots of crap (including 2 range weapons). Nephenee without FE9 boosts is crap, becuse her steel greatlance weighs her down dramatically. Furthermore you're under time pressure to recruit Heather and visit all the houses.
  • 2-2 is an ok FoW chapter, nothing special.
  • 2-3 is a fun map. You have to fight tons of enemies. However quantity > quality
  • 2-F is my absolute favorite chapter in FE! A perfect defend chapter for me in terms of map design and difficulty.
Edited by Ayama Wirdo

I'm surprised to hear all the hate on Part 2 of RD. I thought that was generally considered the best part of RD? Or is that just in terms of story?

It gives Elincia some nice character development time

...That's about it.

Part 2's main issue is just that it's too easy and units don't really gain EXP. That makes it feel unsatisfying.

Map design itself is fine. 2-F is one of, if not the best map in FE10.

• 2 weeks later...

If this discussion is teaching me anything, it's that Part 2 is incredibly polarizing. I do think it's one of the most experimental stretches of a Fire Emblem game, in that the group you control shifts and gets shaken up repeatedly up to the end. It's also fairly short, in chapters, for the story they're trying to tell. I like that it offers Elincia some character development, having a mostly-cavalry chapter is actually pretty cool, and Bearer of Hope is my favorite track in the game. On the negatives, I feel like Ludveck is an under-developed villain, you get units of vastly varying strengths, it's hard to get invested when there's so much jumping, and the game follows up a "rebellion is good!" plot with a "rebellion is bad!" one.

As for Radiant Dawn in general, it's honestly a really impressive and ambitious game. It has one of the widest casts and longest lengths of any Fire Emblem game, and it features a series maximum of weapon diversity. The support system is gahbage, but the abundance of base conversations somewhat make up for it. The story is an imperfect but still interesting epic, with some decent surprises. The balancing is questionable, but bonus experience is available to help weaker units catch up. Overall, RD is very worth a play. And I guess it's kind of comparable to Conquest, in story and challenge, but there are enough differences that I tend to keep the two mentally separate.