Enduring the Unendurable

しどう

So, yesterday, I was going through Birthright's Chapter 25: Traitor Revealed on Lunatic. I had just battled for over an hour with effective use of three distinct teams: one specializing in tanking physical hits, another specializing in tanking magical hits, and the final one lending support via healing/damage reduction skills/picking off stragglers. It was marvelous to see everything working so smoothly, but then something terrible happened.

Here goes:

After clearing all enemy reinforcements with said tactics, I began moving up towards the boss, cautiously. I was particularly careful to stay out of the staff areas of the strategists with the entrap staves. To that end, I counted spaces to allow Hinoka a dance boost to the Dragon Vein to remove enemy equipment in the middle room; right afterward, I used rescue to get her back to safety, out of range of the last entrap strategists.

I gathered everyone toward the left side of the middle room and gradually took out the sage on the turret. Then I decided to try out the silence staff with Sakura to neutralize entrap while I removed a berserker on the steps. The staff worked with 92% hit, and I danced her out of range of the berserker. I then set my character unit up to bait: paired up with Great Knight Silas, holding dragonstone+, defense rally, and speed rally.

I ended the turn...

And the game crashed on me.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Update 3/10/16:

I may have actually stumbled upon a nasty bug in game. It happened again under very similar conditions. As for what exactly causes this crash, I can't say for sure at this point; but it's not a random one-off thing.

Well, I wanted a bit of a challenge on this lunatic run, but I guess I'll grind some levels now so I can muscle through and find the true cause of the game crashing.

If anyone has any more information/experience; please share what you know, so that others can avoid this problem in the future.

Update 4/1/16:

I reproduced the bug a third time.

1) After clearing all of the reinforcements (around 20 turns or so), activate the Dragon Vein in the center to clear enemy equipment.

2) Rescue the unit used for the DV.

3) Neutralize the turret sage but no one else affected by the DV.

4) Proceed to neutralize the Strategist with 2 Entrap staves.

5) Rescue the unit who neutralized the Strategist.

On the next turn, the game freezes. It probably has to do with aggravating the mobs around Iago.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Does anyone else have Fates' horror stories of game breaking bugs/mechanics or any other kind of circumstance, e.g. kami(神)->batsu(罰), that cost them the win... right at the end?

Edited by しどう

OMG, that's horrible! I have heard stories of the game crashing. Is this a problem with the digital or the physical version? I have noticed my physical copy sometimes has trouble keeping the frame rate up, but I don't know if this is related to the issue.

At any rate, I'm sorry that happened to you.

Game crashing right when you're about to complete the chapter objective, and in some cases, the endgame objective. That's all I can say when I play the actual physical version, happened to me twice and made me mad considering that I had issues with Hard/Classic Garon on Birthright since most of my units got RNG-screwed on HP, attack, defense and resistance growths for most of the game.

OMG, that's horrible! I have heard stories of the game crashing. Is this a problem with the digital or the physical version? I have noticed my physical copy sometimes has trouble keeping the frame rate up, but I don't know if this is related to the issue.

At any rate, I'm sorry that happened to you.

Thank you.

I'm playing on a physical copy of Birthright. However; this is my second time playing through (albeit on lunatic difficulty) and I had no such problem clearing the game the first time.

Game crashing right when you're about to complete the chapter objective, and in some cases, the endgame objective. That's all I can say when I play the actual physical version, happened to me twice and made me mad considering that I had issues with Hard/Classic Garon on Birthright since most of my units got RNG-screwed on HP, attack, defense and resistance growths for most of the game.

Could you elaborate on the conditions leading up to the game crashing? It doesn't seem all too common so every bit helps.

I also agree about the rng in Fates; it can be pretty brutal. I actually chose Resistance to be my best stat and and magic as my worst, and yet I still can't tell which stat is more dismal...

Thank you.

I'm playing on a physical copy of Birthright. However; this is my second time playing through (albeit on lunatic difficulty) and I had no such problem clearing the game the first time.

Could you elaborate on the conditions leading up to the game crashing? It doesn't seem all too common so every bit helps.

I also agree about the rng in Fates; it can be pretty brutal. I actually chose Resistance to be my best stat and and magic as my worst, and yet I still can't tell which stat is more dismal...

I own the actual game (Birthright), not the downloaded version. The game crashes when the cartridge in it (the game I'm playing) is slightly pressed and moves (not necessarily getting ejected).

I had a crash once on my "new" 3DSxl. Thankfully it was early on in the game and I didn't lose much. I've played A LOT since and have had no issues. The crash happened when my device was plugged in and I had left it running without playing for about 10-15 minutes (to check stuff on here for strategy! haha). When I picked the device back up to start playing, the whole device shut down and I had to reboot.

Again, no issues since... and now I save and battle save constantly!